HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Stastny

Old
05-25-2011, 02:39 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnson6 View Post
Please post this in all of the Stastny to Toronto threads.
Haha, no thanks. I have no interest in the likes of Grabovski, Bozak, or Komisarek.

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Stastny is better for this organization than almost anything the Av's would be getting in return. If Stastny were traded it would most likely be for several smaller piece, unlikely to have the same impact Stastny is capable of having. The Av's need elite players not depth.

Why are people fascinated with the thought of trading Stastny?

We have a #1 center in Duchene.

You can never have enough depth at center. The best teams in the league have depth at center. Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Fippula. Sedin and Kesler. Briere, Carter and Richard. Thorton, Pavelski, and Marleau. Stamkos and Lecavalier.

Also Duchene has yet to accomplish what Stastny has in any of his first few seasons.

He's invisible on the ice.

Stastny does not have a lot of flash in his game. He doesn't do the "sick" dangles, he won't blow by a defeceman to the outside, and he doesn't throw any big hits. Stastny plays a simple, smart game. He knows where to go to get rebounds, he knows how to get the puck to the open man, and he knows how to play in his own end. Don't mistake flash for substance. At the end of the day he always finds a way to contribute.

He's paid too much.

Stastny may make slightly more then he should, but in no way would his contact be a hindrance to the team. Since entering the league in 2006-2007, Stastny has produced at similar levels per game, to players who are in the same pay grade. Koptiar, Marleau, Kovalchuk, Briere, Kane, Toews, Smyth, Elias, and Cammalleri all make 6m or more.

Stastny has never accomplished anything.

He was a finalist for the Calder, in which he gave Malkin a serious challenge and in the process he was named to the NHL all rookie team. He has lead his team in scoring twice. He is a two time NHL all-star and is an Olympic silver medalist.

Stastny never step up his game.

In the 2007-08 season Statsny lead the Avs in regular season scoring, putting up 12 points more then the nearest competition, while playing 16 games less. Lead by Stastny's production the Av's were a playoff team that season.

Again in the 2009-10 Stastny lead the Av's in regular season scoring, leading the competition by 15 points. Due to Stastny play in the regular season the Av's managed to make it into the playoffs. While the playoff run was short, Stastny was the best player on the Av's this time around.

Stastny is not consistent enough/He disappears for long stretches this season.

During his rookie season Stastny set an NHL record for longest point streak by a rookie.

This season was the worst season of Stastny's career. Twice he went pointless for 3 consecutive games, and once he went pointless for 5 consecutive games.

Now, I know what your thinking. OMG twice he went pointless for 3 consecutive games! Well for comparison, Duchene went pointless for 3 consecutive games a total of 4 times this season. "But what about his 5 consecutive games without a point?" Well that stuff happens. Stamkos did it once this season, and Joe Thornton managed to do it twice this season. Zetterberg even managed to have a six game pointless streak. Other players like Toews, Kesler, E Staal, and Kopitar saved themselves the embarrassment and only managed one or more 4 game pointless streaks.

We need to trade this guy.
Good post. However, the OP actually posted that he doesn't want to trade Stastny but just wanted to explore trade possibilities if that was something that would come to light. (IE : if he and his agent demanded a trade)

Again, I also stated my preference to keep him but played along.

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Burke needs me

hasbro...

i would easily do 2 1sts and a second.
but somehow i think you are being facetious.

--
reason i bring up Statsny is that I wouldn't be surprised to see Avs cut some payroll?? i could be wrong.

If i were Burke, I would offer up the leafs top 3 picks this year... (25, 29, 39)
or 2 of the picks and Bozak if the Avs fond him appealing.

I might even be persuaded to offer up 3 picks and Bozak.

i probably could give up 3 first rounders...
but i don't think i could give up 4 first rounders.. .and certainly not 5.
(that's just one Leafs' fan perspective)

The feeling i get is that the Avs are in more of a re-build mode and can afford to be patient. And when i look at the Avs roster, I see it a few years away. Maybe Avs fans see something different, but i think trading Anderson will come back to haunt, and has set the franchise back a bit.

I think the Leafs must make the playoffs next year... and Burke knows it.

i think a deal between the two could make sense. BUt it depends as always, on price.

Burke needs me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

IF we draft Huberdeau and if the Randers miss out on Richards, I'd look at something based around Stastny and Staal.

And @Bender, interesting proposal.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:51 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
IF we draft Huberdeau and if the Randers miss out on Richards, I'd look at something based around Stastny and Staal.

And @Bender, interesting proposal.
Why? Let this team's dmen show what they can do. Staal won't be the reason this team makes it to the playoffs or not. Stastny proved that he can be the reason (imagine stastny not in the 09-10 season, this team would never have made it).

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke needs me View Post
hasbro...

--
reason i bring up Statsny is that I wouldn't be surprised to see Avs cut some payroll?? i could be wrong.

If i were Burke, I would offer up the leafs top 3 picks this year... (25, 29, 39)

The feeling i get is that the Avs are in more of a re-build mode and can afford to be patient. And when i look at the Avs roster, I see it a few years away. Maybe Avs fans see something different, but i think trading Anderson will come back to haunt, and has set the franchise back a bit.

i think a deal between the two could make sense. BUt it depends as always, on price.
Avs need Stastny's salary to make the cap floor. So there is no financial incentive to trade him.

You are correct in Avs being in a rebuild. I would suggest to you that a 25 year old #1 center is a much better fit for a rebuilding team than Bozak+picks.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Good post. However, the OP actually posted that he doesn't want to trade Stastny but just wanted to explore trade possibilities if that was something that would come to light. (IE : if he and his agent demanded a trade)

Again, I also stated my preference to keep him but played along.
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular, not even this thread. Just the general idea of trading Stastny that his swept through all of HFboards. I have no problems with the what-if-scenarios. It's the disproportionate amount of the Stastny should be traded, and the Colorado is looking to deal Stastny talk that I find bothersome.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:09 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
hasbro...

--

I don't know where people are getting that the Avs need to cut payroll. The Avs are at the Cap floor and are almost struggling to be above it. Shedding salary is the last thing the Avs need to do.

And I agree with CB Joe, but at this point I find it a little funny. It's ok, though!

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Why? Let this team's dmen show what they can do. Staal won't be the reason this team makes it to the playoffs or not. Stastny proved that he can be the reason (imagine stastny not in the 09-10 season, this team would never have made it).
Because Staal would be the best defenseman on the team, even possibly the best player. A pairing of Staal-Johnson would be an elite pairing ala Suter-Weber. Staal and Stastny are roughly the same age so it wouldn't be just a short term move. Not that I would want to move Staz, just under the circumstances given.

Last edited by Christian Litscher: 05-25-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
We have all seen what the d-men on this team can do and I hope we never have to see it again. Whether it's by trade, draft, or free agency, the defense needs to be improved. I like both Elliott and Barrie but they probably need some time in the AHL. I would trade Stastny for Staal and pair him with EJ.

Also, Anderson was the only reason we made the playoffs in 09/10.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Why are people fascinated with the thought of trading Stastny?
Because some of the fans of this team have lived through an era in which we had both Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg, and they want that type of situation again. Staz is a fine player, but he is not even remotely close to the type of player they were. The team with Sakic and Forsberg at the helm gave you a certain feeling when you watched them play. I'm not even sure I can describe it well enough to do it justice, but it was so exciting. They were absolutely lethal on the ice. People want that feeling back. I know I do.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
LA prob. would do Bernier and player/pick for Stastny. I would say the player is Schenn and some player with salary but LA really wants to see what Schenn is capable of, even if that means waiting 2 or 3 years for him to develop. I would. They might have the missing piece right there. IDK what LA is going to do, they are in the same situation as VAN and even WSH.
I think the biggest issue with PS is his salary, someone suggest NSH, but they are going to find a way to resign Weber and then acquiring Statsny on top i dont think works.
NYR and TOR are possible, but either team doesnt really have anything of interest for me anyway.
TOR could be Liles and Statsny for Aulie, Colborne, and Kadri...

or we could just keep him.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:40 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Because some of the fans of this team have lived through an era in which we had both Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg, and they want that type of situation again. Staz is a fine player, but he is not even remotely close to the type of player they were. The team with Sakic and Forsberg at the helm gave you a certain feeling when you watched them play. I'm not even sure I can describe it well enough to do it justice, but it was so exciting. They were absolutely lethal on the ice. People want that feeling back. I know I do.
I understand this, they may not have had the Sakic/Forsberg duo but they way played last year and for bits in the beginning of this year they had such great, quick forwards that flew in off zone and created havoc, they were never out of games because of this, so much fun to watch. When Shattenkirk came along and produced you really felt this team was gonna be killer, and now there is just all this uncertainty. I mean now we are talking of trading Statsny, def. not the case last year.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Rhaego

What would a Stastny + 2nd overall pick return?

Rhaego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
not as much as we'd want.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Parise and 4th OV?

Old
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
It would be nice to have arguable two HOF caliber centers, but it's unrealistic for most teams. I'm not sure how trading Stastny is ever going to solve this problem. In fact trading him would probably make it much worse.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
It would be nice to have arguable two HOF caliber centers, but it's unrealistic for most teams. I'm not sure how trading Stastny is ever going to solve this problem. In fact trading him would probably make it much worse.
No kidding. Go ask fans of the teams who don't have so much as one #1 center what it's like. We're fortunate enough to have a pair with the eldest of them being all of 25 years old.

Anyone waiting for the days of having a pair of first ballot hall of fame centers on the team at the same time had best get cozy, it's gonna be a while.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
It may be unrealistic, but that doesn't mean people will stop longing for it to happen again.

To be honest, I have no idea what the right move is here. I only know that when I watch Staz out there, he does not fill me with a sense of confidence or excitement. I waited forever last year for him to take the team on his back and really take his game to another level. Then I thought, maybe there is no other level for him. I'll even argue that it was Duchene that tried to put the team on his back more than Staz did last season. Maybe taking any example from last year is unfair though, seeing as how every single thing that could go wrong did go wrong. I'm willing to keep Staz and see how he does, but I'm still skeptical that he has what it takes to take our team back to the top.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
hasbro...

--

Hasbro, the next time you troll on an alternate account, try to make it less obvious

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
NHL33*

I don't think Stastny will be traded, but if he is then I expect to be disappointed with the return; his market value is very low right now.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:50 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Because Staal would be the best defenseman on the team, even possibly the best player. A pairing of Staal-Johnson would be an elite pairing ala Suter-Weber. Staal and Stastny are roughly the same age so it wouldn't be just a short term move. Not that I would want to move Staz, just under the circumstances given.
1. Best Dman on this team? Sure. That isn't too hard to do. Best player? Highly doubtful. As beautiful as a Staal - Johnson pairing is I'd rather have the depth down the center and sign a UFA dman instead. Just ask Nashville how hard it is to get to and past the 2nd round without offensive depth. Then ask Pens - Wings - Tampa - Ducks - CHI what a luxury it is to have strong depth down the middle.

I think due to this team's past history and astounding luck of center and lack of defensive development makes us overrate some Dmen.

2. The only way I would trade staz is if he asks for it (obviously GTFO of the team if you don't want to be here) or if there is a trade you just can't say "no" to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
We have all seen what the d-men on this team can do and I hope we never have to see it again. Whether it's by trade, draft, or free agency, the defense needs to be improved. I like both Elliott and Barrie but they probably need some time in the AHL. I would trade Stastny for Staal and pair him with EJ.
Eh? Seriously? Even with how bad our d has been in the past we were still capable of making to the playoffs with our offense. You need defense to win championships I don't deny this. But if you don't have offense you won't get very far either.

You think its scary having Elliott and Barrie in the NHL its scary for me to have two 20 year olds as my top 2 centers in the NHL. Yikes! I mean I know we're rebuilding and all but that may be going too far. Duch is not Crosby.

Quote:
Also, Anderson was the only reason we made the playoffs in 09/10.
Only? You are exaggerating. After the Olympics last season Anderson came back and played pretty ******. He was great in the playoffs but before that he was on his final wheels for the season.

The final 20 games of last season Stastny had 25 points and in his final 10 games had 9 points, 2 of which game during the game vs. Vancouver (4 - 3 SO) that would clinch this team into the playoffs.

Duchene had the SO goal, yes beautfiul but he played horrible that game. You can call him 'clutch' for that if you define it. But Stastny sure has hell showed up to help this team clinch the playoffs and was a bigger factor down the road than Anderson.

Tho - both were MVPs of last season. Take Anderson or Stastny out of this team they wouldn't have made it.

stats: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...92010&view=log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunbaba View Post
No kidding. Go ask fans of the teams who don't have so much as one #1 center what it's like. We're fortunate enough to have a pair with the eldest of them being all of 25 years old.

Anyone waiting for the days of having a pair of first ballot hall of fame centers on the team at the same time had best get cozy, it's gonna be a while.
The only team with that potential right now is the Pens.

Quote:
I
To be honest, I have no idea what the right move is here. I only know that when I watch Staz out there, he does not fill me with a sense of confidence or excitement. I waited forever last year for him to take the team on his back and really take his game to another level. Then I thought, maybe there is no other level for him. I'll even argue that it was Duchene that tried to put the team on his back more than Staz did last season. Maybe taking any example from last year is unfair though, seeing as how every single thing that could go wrong did go wrong. I'm willing to keep Staz and see how he does, but I'm still skeptical that he has what it takes to take our team back to the top.
Hey if a team with Andy MacDonald can win a cup as their no. 1 center Stastny has nothing to worry about.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:03 PM
avs1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
To me, Ryan Suter has always had the luxury of playing with a guy like Shea Weber and that's always helped him look better than he actually is. The parallel I draw is to Beauchemin playing with Niedermayer in Anaheim. Obviously, Suter is a much better player than Beauchemin but when Toronto signed him, I think they expected more from this guy, especially defensively.

I think Suter's a good player, a bit of a borderline #2, top 3-4 defenseman for sure but I don't see him as a #1 guy and I certainly don't see him as the franchise d-man that a lot of people seem to think he is.

Feel free to disagree, I'm sure many will.

Anyways, back to the original question : I also really don't want to see Stastny traded but if he was, I would be looking for this kind of package :

To St-L:
P. Stastny, C
T. Barrie, D
B. Yip, RW

To Col:
D. Backes, C/RW
J. Schwartz, C
J. Allen, G

The reasoning behind this is that Backes can be a very good 2nd line center and/or play any forward position. That kind of versatility could be very useful down the road. For the Blues, they get a #1 center that already has chemistry with their best sniper and one who's familiar with the city. The Avs give up one of their most promising defensive prospect for a guy who could be able to fill-in Backes spot as #2C somewhere down the road. They add depth at the G position with Allen while the Blues get a serviceable grinding winger in Yip.

Stastny > Backes
Schwartz >= Barrie (value wise, it's pretty close)
Allen > Yip

As I said, my preference would be to keep Stastny but if this kind of deal was made, I'd be ok with it. I have no idea if Blues fans would want to do this, if I were in their position, I really wouldn't want to lose Schwartz but that would be the cost if I had to move an established guy like Stastny.
As much as I love Stazz, I REALLY like that package.

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Sick package Bender. I effin love Schwartz.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
1. Best Dman on this team? Sure. That isn't too hard to do. Best player? Highly doubtful. As beautiful as a Staal - Johnson pairing is I'd rather have the depth down the center and sign a UFA dman instead. Just ask Nashville how hard it is to get to and past the 2nd round without offensive depth. Then ask Pens - Wings - Tampa - Ducks - CHI what a luxury it is to have strong depth down the middle.

I think due to this team's past history and astounding luck of center and lack of defensive development makes us overrate some Dmen.

2. The only way I would trade staz is if he asks for it (obviously GTFO of the team if you don't want to be here) or if there is a trade you just can't say "no" to.
I said "if" we draft Huberdeau so with Duchene, Huberdeau, Hishon, Radar we would still have center depth. All these cup winners have elite defenses, something we don't have, but Staal would help tremendously.