HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston-Calgary

Old
05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
SlickM32

vCash: 500
Boston-Calgary

Bruins should have some cap space, and with the Kaberle experiment not really working out, the Bruins need a guy who can skate with the puck, play defense and eat a lot of time without costing an arm and a leg (hard to do). The Jay-Bo experiment in Calgary hasn't really worked out at all, and the Flames are in need of some cap space and youth.

Boston:

Jay Bouwmeester

Calgary:

Johnny Boychuk
Zach Hamill
2011 2nd round pick (Minnesota)
Andrew Bodnarchuk

The Bruins get a guy who can eat a lot of time on the ice and man the PP. Calgary gets a young defenseman who can score from the point, be a #4 defenseman and has a cheap contract. They get a young center who is NHL ready and could be a 50 point player with the right wingers. Him and Backlund as a one-two punch. A 2nd round pick to infuse more youth into the organization and a puck moving prospect who could play in the NHL next year, but probably one year away.

Last edited by SlickM32: 05-29-2011 at 11:26 AM.
SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
joebrute

As a Bruins fan, I would do this deal. But I doubt the Flames would give away Bouwmeester... He hasn't been that bad.

Their defence would be horrendous going into next season

joebrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Him and Granlund as a one-two punch.
I'm confused

In any case the proposal isn't all that bad.. J-BO would be a nice addition, but only if the FA route doesn't bring anything.

Hamill is available, but losing Boychuk hurts.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
I'm confused

In any case the proposal isn't all that bad.. J-BO would be a nice addition, but only if the FA route doesn't bring anything.

Hamill is available, but losing Boychuk hurts.
I think he means Backlund. If you're hitching your top-2 centers wagon to Backlund-Hamill then its not going nowhere.

The B's will resign Kaberle, and Jbo is the most unclutch player in the history of sports.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:31 AM
ComixZone

Flames say no thanks. Bouwmeester, while overpaid, is still a very good d-man. It's a case of him making 2 million too much, but he's still a very good d-man. The 2 million too much is due to free agent frenzy/the term of his contract only being 5 years.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

The Bruins already have an elite, big d-man. Adding J-Bo is not a positive addition to their defense in my opinion. But hey, if you want an overpayed defenseman who has never played in the playoffs at any high level of hockey and so soft he got called out by Peca, I'm sure the Flames would be happy to get a deal done.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Trollmark*

Does Boston want to make the playoffs?

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Boston, please don't accept, we want to keep J-Bo in the division

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Heaters not lazt*

I'd do this, but I'd rather try to sign Pitkanen in UFA first. I love Bouwmeester's play but his salary probably doesn't fit in to well with the way we're currently structured.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollmark View Post
Does Boston want to make the playoffs?
What is the chick's name in your avatar.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Backlund

vCash: 50
Good proposal but not sure if I would pull the trigger. Bouwmeester plays the most minutes out of all of our dman and it would be tough to replace him.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Chara - Bouwmeester would be a forwards worst nightmare.

Chara there to pound away at you then Bouwmeester using his smooth skating and smart stick work.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:44 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
Chara - Bouwmeester would be a forwards worst nightmare.

Chara there to pound away at you then Bouwmeester using his smooth skating and smart stick work.
Boston wouldn't break up Chara/Seidenberg whether they got Bouwmeester or not.

As for the proposal, Boston says no, and so does Calgary.

Why would Boston trade Boychuk, who is cost-effective @ $1.875MM for one more year, for a near albatross in Bouwmeester @ $6.68MM for three more years? They don't really need defenseman, and they're going to be running low on cap space as it is.

As for Calgary, there is no reason for them to trade their 2nd best defenseman for a bunch of "okay" pieces, despite the contract.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Boston, please don't accept, we want to keep J-Bo in the division
Strange, because Bouwmeester had 6 points in 6 games against the Avs and was a +8 against them this year.

I think a little less minutes in Boston would lead to more effective minutes. I like this deal from Calgary's side but I doubt it works out with Boston's salary structure. I like Boychuk, I like Hamill, I like getting a 2nd rounder we otherwise don't have, and I like reducing our cap stress by subtracting Jay's salary. He's just not a good fit under Brent Sutter and I think he could use a change of scenery.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
GototheFlamestotheGo

If I'm Calgary, I'd really consider this.

Yes, Bo can play defense. But that is not his number 1 job. He needs to make our PP more effective and be a consistent offensive contributor and he simply isn't doing that. Not to mention he isn't a solid performer in key games. And I don't even need to mention his ridiculous cap hit.
Another thing to consider with JBo is that he has a NTC (who doesn't in Calgary...) and Boston might be one of the few teams he'd be willing to waive his clause as they are a perennial contender.

I really like that with this deal, Calgary will get a 2nd round pick, which they don't have this year and a former 1st round pick who is a center. That coupled with Boychuk who has a RIGHT-HANDED bomb from the point and is on a cheap contract makes this a sweet deal in my books and a great way to unload an anchor of a contract.

Now, would Boston ever do this deal? I highly doubt it. I honestly think that they are getting fleeced in this deal especially since they lose a TON of cap space on what is essentially a massive gamble of a player. Chiarelli is far too smart to make such a dumb deal IMO.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Just curious, how would B's fans feel about a trade involving Bouwmeester for Marchand straight up?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Wow. When I read this, at first I thought there's no way Calgary would do this. But having read a few posts, apparently it's not all that far fetched.

Why would the B's do this? They've been searching for a 1b for awhile now. They want to add a Niedermayer to go with Chara's Pronger. They hoped Kaberle would be that... I could see them considering J-Bo, and they have the cap space for it.

05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Wow. When I read this, at first I thought there's no way Calgary would do this. But having read a few posts, apparently it's not all that far fetched.

Why would the B's do this? They've been searching for a 1b for awhile now. They want to add a Niedermayer to go with Chara's Pronger. They hoped Kaberle would be that... I could see them considering J-Bo, and they have the cap space for it.
If they rolled it, Bouwmeester and Chara would be the single most dominating pair in the NHL, bar-none. Scary to even think about it.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
What is the chick's name in your avatar.
i believe thats cheryl cole. english pop singer, married to soccer player ashley cole. she's soo hot.

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
almostawake

I don't think Bouwmeester's cap hit itself is much of an issue for the Bruins. The major issue is the fact that they have to resign Krejci next summer, and Lucic, Seguin, Horton in the summer of 2013.

I think Chia would have to carefully think about summer 2012 and 2013, but if he thought he could pull off all of the re-signings, I'm pretty sure he'd do that trade.

As Bill pointed out, the idea with Bouwmeester is that he'd be the 1b to Chara. Bouwmeester has covered 25 minutes per game every season since the lock out, he might not be a franchise defenceman, but he can clearly carry big minutes. Even if all he does is anchor the 2nd pairing, the Bruins would be fine with that.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canesten View Post
i believe thats cheryl cole. english pop singer, married to soccer player ashley cole. she's soo hot.
Cashley Cole.....so overrated. Didn't he cheat on her too?

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:38 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
The value seems pretty good. I would defiantly consider this trade. I don't know that Calgary has any interest in Bodnarchuk or Boychuk though.

Zach Hamill
2011 2nd round pick (Minnesota)
and something else of value. (Not sure what Boston would be willing to part with. Maybe a 3rd?)

Or how about the 9th Overall straight up for Bouwmeester?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Xelstyle

The value is certainly there, but instead of Andrew Bodnarchuk, Calgary will still ask for another forward.

Likewise, I'm not sure whether I would do the deal or not since we'll have some issues without Jay-Bo, but this isn't a bad deal.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:45 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Ugghh Flames fans get so caught up in the idea of "Freeing up capspace" when the money you free up to trade Bouwmeester will be needed to attract another high end defender.

Regehr - Giordano
Sarich - Boychuck

That is a slow moving top 4 that would struggle to move the puck efficiently up to the forwards ( with the exception of Giordano ), that just wont cut it.

You dont trade Jay unless you get a clear upgrade at our center ice position, or a young sure fire top four defender with puck moving abilities + picks.

Absolutely no way I make this trade. We become a far worse team for the next 3+ seasons.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:53 PM
SlickM32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

Also in terms of cap space. Most B's fans have Kaberle or replacement pegged at somewhere between 4-5 million, so adding Jay-Bo is kind of the same as adding a 1-2 million dollar forward. The B's have a good amount of cap space with Ryder, Recchi and Kabs coming off the books with Caron coming up, so the B's only need to sign one forward and one defenseman.

Thomas is off the books in 2 years, so that's 5 million put towards Horton, Seguin and Krejci if they are all still here. I doubt Marchand gets a nickel above 2.4 with the signings of Okposo and Grabner.

Horton is already make 4, as much as I like him he won't be getting more than 5 unless he starts scoring 30 goals over the next two seasons.

The salary isn't that bad for Boston because they don't carry large 6+ million forwards, so two guys @ 6+ on the blueline is okay. Also, Jay-Bo is young and, in terms of skillset, what they are looking for.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote