HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Hawks Talking trade?

Old
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

vCash: 500
Maybe I'm crazy but I think Campbell is every bit as good as Kaberle. He can rush the puck, he's great on the PP, he can PK, he's not a liability defensively like some believe...

I would be okay with

Campbell + #36 overall

for

Komisarek

#36 gives a bit of incentive to take on the extra cap hit while getting a superior player who would replace Kaberle. Hawks clear room for Leddy to play in the top 4 with Hammer and some cap space to re-sign Campoli.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:20 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
but if keeping Campbell costs them sharp is it worth it? that 2.6 million in savings could go a LONG way in keeping their top goal scorer
People who aren't hawks fans don't realize this.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Leafssss

For fun:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Centre ($0.000m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($2.350m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($2.900m) / Winger ($0.000m)
Matt Frattin ($1.300m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Colby Armstrong ($3.000m)
Mike Brown ($0.736m) / Tim Brent ($0.600m) / Darryl Boyce ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Keith Aulie ($0.733m)
Luke Schenn ($3.100m) / Brian Campbell ($7.142m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($1.200m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.116m)

GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.350m) / Jonas Gustavsson ($1.350m)

BUYOUTS: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $46,348,667; BONUSES: $2,062,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $13,051,333

Gives the Leafs 13M + Cap raise to sign a #1 Centre (or trade for one), a 2nd line right winger (or re-sign MacArthur) and enough money to re-sign Grabo + Kule to their respective raises

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I would do anything to rid Komisarek from my life.

To Chicago:

25th pick
39th pick
Mike Komisarek
Jamie Devane

To Toronto:
18th pick
Brian Campbell
Kyle Beach
Winner winner chicken dinner

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Campbell's cap hit is real heavy, but if you're shedding Komisarek to do it...it might be worth it. Campbell is really underrated on these boards, he's a fantastic puck mover. He's not worth the 7 million, but there's nothing that can be done about that. The Leafs would definitely not be getting Gomez, Campbell can play.

Mind you, Chicago fans will likely balk because Campbell is such an important piece of their puck moving.
I actually think Gomez is a good comparison. Both are vastly overpaid but can contribute to one team's success, one as a top-six two-way C and the other as a top-4 offensive D.

The main difference is that Gomez had a major subpar year while Campbell played as expected (though not as his Sabres' former self). Last year and the year before that, it was the exact opposite.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

This is a tricky one. Yes, Leafs need a PMD, AND get rid of Komisarek, and I guess that would cost 2.5 million in capspace. But thats a damn long contract!
If Campbell had 1 million less caphit, that would make it easy. But then, why would Hawks trade him in first place.

That might also affect Leafs ability to make a bid for B.Richards (being one of the few teams with capspace AND money to afford him); and I assume this because Burke has hinted on numerous occasions (most recent being yesterday), that he PREFERS to land #1C via Free Agency.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
Campbell is so much better than Komisarek its laughable. I understand Campbell is overpaid, and the contract runs too long, but I have to think that the Hawks would rather keep him than swap him for Komi.

I don't care what the cap implications are, Brian is important to the Hawks. Better to have a core player overpaid by 2 million than a redundant and declining player overpaid by 2 million.
I think it's just a case of addition by subtraction. Soupy is a good player. Is he a core player? ...probably not. I've never heard Stan call him a core player, but I've heard him call other guys like Sharp, Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith core players.

Assuming Komi doesn't have a NMC ( I don't know), he could play a year with the Hawks, and if he sucks it up and continues declining, then maybe Rocky would eat his salary in Rockford. It would come as Huet's contract falls off, so I could see this happening.

The point though isn't what you get back for Campbell. It's the ability to lock up Frolik and Campoli for a number of years and then resign Patrick Sharp next year. It also protects the Hawks a year from now, if Morin or Leddy did well next season and other teams had ideas of poaching them due to salary cap problems in Chicago.

edit - nm that, Morin and Leddy have 2 years left, not 1 like I was thinking. Ben Smith and Kyle Beach are the young RFA's next summer.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I think it's just a case of addition by subtraction. Soupy is a good player. Is he a core player? ...probably not. I've never heard Stan call him a core player, but I've heard him call other guys like Sharp, Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith core players.

Assuming Komi doesn't have a NMC ( I don't know), he could play a year with the Hawks, and if he sucks it up and continues declining, then maybe Rocky would eat his salary in Rockford. It would come as Huet's contract falls off, so I could see this happening.

The point though isn't what you get back for Campbell. It's the ability to lock up Frolik and Campoli for a number of years and then resign Patrick Sharp next year.
I agree with this. I think Leddy would do just fine next to Hjalmarsson and it gives us a physical guy who would see 3rd pairing minutes and not any more. The big + for the Hawks is the ability to comfortably re-sign Sharp next year and allows us to spend a bit more money filling out our roster this year.

While it sucks to see Campbell go, especially since he has been so helpful the past 2 years... the benefits outweigh the short-term snags.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:28 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
but if keeping Campbell costs them sharp is it worth it? that 2.6 million in savings could go a LONG way in keeping their top goal scorer
Keeping Campbell won't cost us Sharp. At worst, it would cost us Hammer or Frolik.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
1. Campbell has an extra cap hit of $2.6 million
2. Campbell has an extra term by 2 years
3. Campbell is 4 years older.

if hawks wanna dump Campbell on us they better sweeten the pot
Campbell is much much much better than Komisarek.

Despite bad cap hit Campbell is actually very good.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:29 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
This is a tricky one. Yes, Leafs need a PMD, AND get rid of Komisarek, and I guess that would cost 2.5 million in capspace. But thats a damn long contract!
If Campbell had 1 million less caphit, that would make it easy. But then, why would Hawks trade him in first place.

That might also affect Leafs ability to make a bid for B.Richards (being one of the few teams with capspace AND money to afford him); and I assume this because Burke has hinted on numerous occasions (most recent being yesterday), that he PREFERS to land #1C via Free Agency.
Komi has a long term deal to and I'm sure Burke is not going to make a deal that will prevent us from getting a #1 C either by trade or UFA he knows we need a center thats why I doubt he makes a deal for Campbell without komi as a part of it

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:29 PM
digdug41982

Campbell for Komi straight up would be brutal unless Rocky wants to send him to the AHL.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

The point though isn't what you get back for Campbell. It's the ability to lock up Frolik and Campoli for a number of years and then resign Patrick Sharp next year. It also protects the Hawks a year from now, if Morin or Leddy did well next season and other teams had ideas of poaching them due to salary cap problems in Chicago.

edit - nm that, Morin and Leddy have 2 years left, not 1 like I was thinking. Ben Smith and Kyle Beach are the young RFA's next summer.

Komi has a NMC so if this deal were to happen Komi is a Hawk

Old
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Campbell is much much much better than Komisarek.

Despite bad cap hit Campbell is actually very good.
He's good, but not worth the $7m cap hit.

The Hawks would need to sweeten the pot or there is no way Burke would make that move. After the type of moves that Burke makes when he takes overpaid players, they'd have to sweeten the deal up.

For example:

- When Burke traded Stajan, Hagman, Mayers and White for Phaneuf (overpaid, $6.5m contract), we also got Aulie + Sjostrom.
- When Burke traded Beauchemin for Lupul (coming off serious injury, $4.5m contract), we also got Gardiner + a conditional 4th.

Based on those moves I really don't see Burke acquiring Campbell unless the Hawks really make it worth it to him. I'm thinking they'll need to add something.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Komi has a long term deal to and I'm sure Burke is not going to make a deal that will prevent us from getting a #1 C either by trade or UFA he knows we need a center thats why I doubt he makes a deal for Campbell without komi as a part of it
I'm sure Burke knows by now if he has a good shot at Richards or not. #1 centers are very hard to acquire anywhere but the draft. Teams usually don't let them go. In reality he's probably going to need to draft one eventually.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:39 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Then Komi shouldn't even be mentioned as going to the Hawks.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Sarava

Quote:
This sours my interest a lot.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I believe his NMC is limited. He has to submit a list of 10 or 15 teams that he'd be willing to be traded to. Similar to what Beauchemin had. Also, I'm not sure if it's there for the entire duration of his contract.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
it's the only way it works and there aren't a lot of teams that have the money or the cap space to take Campbell off your hands.

The hawks would be in a position of weakness in a Brian Campbell trade talks

Old
05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post

I'd much rather just sign MA Bergeron for the year to be the PMD and let Gardiner/Blacker develop.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:44 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
I'd much rather just sign MA Bergeron for the year to be the PMD and let Gardiner/Blacker develop.
MA Bergeron is brutal at defense. No way would Burke sign that guy.

Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

he does have to submit a list of 10 or 15 teams he can be dealt to if that helps.

Old
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I thought Komisarek's contract ended after the 12-13 season... it doesn't. And he has a limited NTC.

Nevermind, not worth it.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
Considering Campbell was the best defensman for the Hawks this season, and was an integral part of their Stanley Cup win, and a player the management insisted the team commit to long term, yes. I would call him a core player. Without hesitation.

Plus the Hawks cap overage penalty of over 4 mill is coming off the books, Seabs/Crawford have re-signed to reasonable hits, and the cap keeps going up. No way they have to panic about Sharp, let alone Campoli.

Besides, even if Campoli has to go, a pairing of Campbell-AbsolutelyAnyoneElse is better than the disaster Komisarek-Campoli would likely be. And Sharp will be a Blackhawk either way.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
MAB isn't a PMD (unless you're talking about moving the puck to the other team).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote