HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Hawks Talking trade?

Old
05-25-2011, 03:09 PM
The Management

vCash: 500
I think this whole idea about being "crippled" by cap space is slightly illusory. Yes, the salary cap is a huge factor in today's NHL; just look at what the Hawks had to sell off after their big win. But they had that big win with Brian Campbell on their roster, and he was a very solid puckmover for them on their back end. Mind you, he's struggled this year and he's not getting any younger.

Consider the New York Rangers. Did Gomez, Drury, or Redden prevent that team from pursuing upgrades and free agents? Redden was sent to the minors. Gomez was moved, despite his contract. They went out and acquired Gaborik, and now there's talk of going after Brad Richards. Do you really think Glen Sather is going to let the salary cap get in his way if there's a big-ticket item, like Brad Richards, that he has his eyes on?

I'm all for the efficient management of cap space. It's definitely important, especially when you've got to make room for players coming off of their ELCs. But there's no one contract too big to "cripple" a franchise for the long-term, especially if you have a team willing to spend money, willing to send underachievers to the minors, and willing to make trades and move bodies. I know we have a couple of poor contracts on the roster right now (Komisarek, Lupul, arguably Phaneuf), but those guys can be dealt with if we're desperate for cap space.

I'm not saying we SHOULD inquire about Brian Campbell, but I wouldn't let his contract alone preclude all-together the possibility of a deal, especially if there are added incentives involved (draft picks, sending a bad contract the other way, possibility of a multi-player deal, etc).

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Now this is a twitter report so I don't know how much stock to put into it but here is what is being said.

the follwing tweets were made by ***********

Source says #Leafs GM is in the finalizing stages of a major shake up. Tweaks still being made, likely to happen draft day.

The #Leafs are looking to package PHI 1st (25th), TOR 2nd (39th) for the BlackHawks 1st (18th)

The BlackHawks and #Leafs have been in talks for a while now, both the draft pick exchange and Brian Campbell trade have been discussed

The Brian Campbell Tweet is the one that I find interesting because you have to believe IF this is true and again I am not convinced it is but IF it is Komi would have to go back just for salary cap reasons because nobody will take that contract without sending some salary back.

On the other hand we do need a puck mover and Campbell would solve those issues but his contract is heavy but like I said if he was to be traded to the Leafs Komi would almost certinly need to be involved.

What do you think? do you think a trade involving Campbell to the Leafs might actually happen?

How much would we need to give up? and most importantly does anybody know of anything that this guy has broken or gotten right?
Campbell has a no trade clause.
Having said this he likely would consider the Leafs......as it would move him home.
He has to provide a list of 8 teams he would consider.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
He'd be subtracting a 4.5 million dollar dman at the same time. The cassio is going up to 63 million too. How else should the leafs use their cap space?
I don't know what a cassio is, but how about using their cap space on getting some forward help for Kessel instead of another big contract on defence?

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I don't know what a cassio is, but how about using their cap space on getting some forward help for Kessel instead of another big contract on defence?
You could bring in any playmaking center for Kessel and he'll score 35-40. It doesn't have to be Richards and it doesn't have to be a big contract. The guy just needs someone feeding him regularly and the puck will go in. Look at how much the guy shoots, a non-Leafs fan has to at least appreciate his drive. With a really good C, Kessel is the kind of player that could have a few 4 goal games. He just hasn't had much to work with. I'd like to see that move work out for the Leafs after all the crap they've taken, and IMO, Kessel will become an elite goal scorer very soon and Boston won't have one.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
Campbell has a no trade clause.
Having said this he likely would consider the Leafs......as it would move him home.
He has to provide a list of 8 teams he would consider.
I thought I read somewhere that the 5 teams in the northeast were on his list of teams he'd go to. Could be wrong though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
With people like Blacker and Gardiner in the system, Toronto isn't going to start dealing for PMD anytime soon.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that the 5 teams in the northeast were on his list of teams he'd go to. Could be wrong though.
Honestly, what incentive does Campbell have to leave? He's in the perfect situation. It wouldn't surprise me if he made his list of 8 teams the same as the 8 with the least cap/need flexibility to fit him.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
With people like Blacker and Gardiner in the system, Toronto isn't going to start dealing for PMD anytime soon.
having those guys in the system is great but they aren't ready and we need somebody to fill the PMD hole until they are

Old
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

To Hawks

Mike Komisarek
Boston 1st (28-30th)

To Leafs

Brian Campbell
Chicago 1st (18th)
Chicago 2nd (2012)

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
The Management

Quote:
I'm not sure if Burke operates that way.

We have Kadri and Colborne in the system, but he's still likely to pursue another center.

I think he likes to insulate his younger players with veteran talent, rather than thrust them into a big-pressure role.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
having those guys in the system is great but they aren't ready and we need somebody to fill the PMD hole until they are
Gunnar can do the job in the meantime.

We're looking to compete in 1-3 years, not now.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDee View Post
To Hawks

Mike Komisarek
Boston 1st (28-30th)

To Leafs

Brian Campbell
Chicago 1st (18th)
Chicago 2nd (2012)

that would be tempting. That would give us 2 1sts and a 2nd this draft and 1 1st and 3 2nds in the next 1 assuming Boston can finish off the lighting.

Quote:
Gunnar can do the job in the meantime.

We're looking to compete in 1-3 years, not now.
I don't know man I got the impression Gunnar might not be in the plans at Burke season ending press conference

Old
05-25-2011, 03:56 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
come on man you really think he wouldn't trade Komi to upgrade to Brian campbell? it's about making the team better Campbell does that
Ya, I do.

Burke has as big a man crush on Komi as a guy can have and in his opinion Komi brings more to the table then just his play. He also thinks Komi can play better.

Have you looked at Campbells contract? Its bad. Really bad. Burke will sign a PMD or make do with what he has in the system.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
ponder

This is probably 100% made up, but . . .

- 25th + 39th for 18th is a deal I definitely like as a Leafs fan on its own

- I really do not like any deal with Komi for Campbell as the primary pieces. Komi sucks, he has 3 years left on his deal at a $4.5 mil cap hit, but the last 2 years he gets just $3.5 mil per year in real money. After this season I feel like a team struggling to make the cap floor, who has trouble attracting FAs regardless, won't mind the Komi contract too much (it would be 2 years at $3.5 mil per in real dollars, but $4.5 mil in cap hit, helps them evade the cap floor), we could probably do Komi + minor sweetener for nothing next summer. Campbell is a much better dman than Komi, but he has 5 years left at $7.14 mil, that's just atrocious, and to make it worse he makes $7.14 mil per year in real money right to the end. He's already very overpaid, and if his play declines much more he's gonna become a true team-wrecking albatross contract. Personally I think it's just not worth the risk, I'd rather bite the bullet and deal with 1 more year of Komi, then hopefully dump him without too much sweetener next offseason, than be stuck with 5 more years of Campbell, with the risk for it to turn into an absolute disaster if his play declines further. Basically, I don't care if it's Campbell for Komi straight up, or Campbell for Komi + 18th, I just want no part in Campbell's contract, and a pick that may or may not become a good player does not change that. This is the kind of player you get at 18th overall:

1996 - Matt Higgins
1997 - Michael Holmqvist
1998 - Dmitri Kalinin
1999 - Konstantin Koltsov
2000 - Brooks Orpik
2001 - Jens Karlsson
2002 - Denis Grebeshkov
2003 - Eric Fehr
2004 - Kyle Chipchura
2005 - Ryan Parent
2006 - Chris Stewart
2007 - Ian Cole
2008 - Chet Pickard
2009 - Louis Leblanc
2010 - Austin Watson

Basically, while you have a shot at a good player with a mid/late 1st, it's not a good chance, chances are you get a guy who is a marginal contributor, as shown by this list of previous 18th overall picks. When I weight the small chance at a good player against the large chance that Brian Campbell's contract becomes just terrible for the team, I don't like it.

Last edited by ponder: 05-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
While I agree that they need at least another year to develop, is Campbell really the best option to hold the fort while they develop? He wouldn't be just here till they're ready, he'd be here till 2016 (I think).

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
While I agree that they need at least another year to develop, is Campbell really the best option to hold the fort while they develop? He wouldn't be just here till they're ready, he'd be here till 2016 (I think).
to get rid of komi and get a 1st or solid prospect with Campbell cause you know something with be coming back with him I'd do it

Old
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I would do anything to rid Komisarek from my life.

To Chicago:

25th pick
39th pick
Mike Komisarek
Jamie Devane

To Toronto:
18th pick
Brian Campbell
Kyle Beach
Lol, uh.. no.

Chicago gives up the best prospect, the best player, and the higher pick?

Campbell is making 2.6M more then Komi I believe someone said. For 2.6M more, you get a guy who can put up 45-55 points as the teams go-to-guy on the PP, and is responsible in his own end.

The only think Komisarek can do is hit. He can't defend, he can't help a puck-moving game.. oh, and I guess he can fight...

I could see a deal breaking down like this:

To Toronto:

Brian Campbell
18th overall

To Chicago

Mike Komisarek
29th/30th overall

Simple. Toronto gets to move up 10 spots in the draft, and have a better chance of moving into the top 10/12 picks, and Chicago moves Campbell's contract.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
nick942

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Komi, the 25th, the 39th for Campbell and the 18th?
Probably more like Komi + the Boston 1st round pick for Campbell + the 18th pick

I would do this deal, but I wouldn't give up 2 of our top 40 picks in a deal like that

nick942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Lol, uh.. no.

Chicago gives up the best prospect, the best player, and the higher pick?

Campbell is making 2.6M more then Komi I believe someone said. For 2.6M more, you get a guy who can put up 45-55 points as the teams go-to-guy on the PP, and is responsible in his own end.

The only think Komisarek can do is hit. He can't defend, he can't help a puck-moving game.. oh, and I guess he can fight...

I could see a deal breaking down like this:

To Toronto:

Brian Campbell
18th overall

To Chicago

Mike Komisarek
29th/30th overall

Simple. Toronto gets to move up 10 spots in the draft, and have a better chance of moving into the top 10/12 picks, and Chicago moves Campbell's contract.
you let us throw in Lebda and it's a deal you can send Lebda to to the AHL so you still have the same cap savings and we clear a little extra cap for the 1st year of the deal

Old
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Komi, the 25th, the 39th for Campbell and the 18th?
only way Campbell goes is if Komisarek goes back. Good call

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmcgart View Post
I think this "speculation" is made up anyway. Until someone posts something from a legitimate source, this is probably just a fun way to kill time for some person.
pretty hard to make up speculation. Thats why it's called speculation

Old
05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
pretty hard to make up speculation. Thats why it's called speculation
If we're going to argue semantics, then you're right. You get my point though... this person is speculating something, meaning, they are basing a theory off of absolutely nothing.

Look out for my 'Speculation: Bettman suits up for Pens next season?' thread, apparently basing an idea off of absolutely nothing gets a lot of attention right here. All I'm saying is this speculation is, by the nature of the word, is based off of nothing and that we should keep a critical eye until we get something a little more reputable.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
broc

After 1 more season, Komi will be easy to trade.

His cap hit stays @ 4.5, but his last 2 years he only gets paid 3.5... so for a cash strapped team wanting to stay around the floor, or just under it, that is 2 million in savings.

Komi was looking a lot better when he was playing < 15 mins a game in the last quarter of the season.

broc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Adversary

Moving up in the draft and trading Komi for Campbell doesn't sound like a 'major shakeup' to me.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:59 PM
calcal798

Quote:
you let us throw in Lebda and it's a deal you can send Lebda to to the AHL so you still have the same cap savings and we clear a little extra cap for the 1st year of the deal
39th + Komi

for

Campbell + 18th

then

25th + 29th

for

15th-13th

Two picks in the top 20 would be nice. (Schiefele & Miller)

Last edited by calcal798: 05-25-2011 at 08:06 PM.
calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote