HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Compensation adjustment could lead to more offers for restricted NHL free agents

Old
05-26-2011, 04:29 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
ChiChi is definitely up for poster of the year. Not just because of the content of what he posts, but because his name is awesome.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

ChiChi is slowly annexing my personality, but there's only one problem... I can't find the damn name change function in the CP. I looked through Options, Profile, etc and didn't see it anywhere. Possibly only one name change in a year? You hosers may have to wait until 365 have past (July 12 for those keeping a calendar and marking the days) since I went all Malko on you. Again, shame is felt.

Like my playoff beard?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I don't get the "it will come back to haunt you" thing. If a GM puts his team behind the 8 ball out of spite, well he shouldn't be a GM. If he lets his elite talent get to the point where it can be offer sheeted, he isn't a very good GM.

If a player got to RFA and that players team was unable to match, I'd definitely hope Shero would keep that opportunity open.
Ask Kevin Lowe

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:15 AM
regard

When he first said ChiChi I thought he was just confusing Malko with the guy people call ChiTown....but if he just said that off the cuff thats pretty hilarious.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Ask Kevin Lowe
1 GM is considered an exception...not a rule, and ironically enough, that GM doesn't have a job.

Lowe only got in the mess he did because he offered Penner WAY more than what he was worth, and he never contacted Burke to tell him he was doing it. Burke found out from Penner's agent, allegedly.

If offer sheets are done the right way, there should be no problem with them. The Hjalmarsson sheet last year was the right way to go about things, and it could have worked out well for San Jose. They undoubtedly push the hand of Chicago to pick and choose who they wanted even more quickly.

The Kessel sheet was a good one.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
When he first said ChiChi I thought he was just confusing Malko with the guy people call ChiTown....but if he just said that off the cuff thats pretty hilarious.
I didn't even consider that but if it's true I apologize for my all encompassing ego. Clearly it is not all about me. Damn me!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
1 GM is considered an exception...not a rule, and ironically enough, that GM doesn't have a job.

Lowe only got in the mess he did because he offered Penner WAY more than what he was worth, and he never contacted Burke to tell him he was doing it. Burke found out from Penner's agent, allegedly.

If offer sheets are done the right way, there should be no problem with them. The Hjalmarsson sheet last year was the right way to go about things, and it could have worked out well for San Jose. They undoubtedly push the hand of Chicago to pick and choose who they wanted even more quickly.

The Kessel sheet was a good one.
Of course there are different ways to do it, but it's never just ok for the other GM. Look at how pissed Vancouver was when Philly made him an offer sheet like 5 years ago and we're talking about a small salary back then (around 1.3 m IIRC).

And overpaying like Lowe did for Penner was actually good for Anaheim, because if you don't wanna match it, at least you get a better return.

It's nit impossible, but GM's statet again and again, that it's not something you do and I don't see Ray ever doing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that.

That said, yes, Low is an idiot, no question about it.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:16 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Of course there are different ways to do it, but it's never just ok for the other GM. Look at how pissed Vancouver was when Philly made him an offer sheet like 5 years ago and we're talking about a small salary back then (around 1.3 m IIRC).

And overpaying like Lowe did for Penner was actually good for Anaheim, because if you don't wanna match it, at least you get a better return.

It's nit impossible, but GM's statet again and again, that it's not something you do and I don't see Ray ever doing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that.

That said, yes, Low is an idiot, no question about it.
It wasn't good for Anaheim. Anaheim wanted to keep their budding power forward at a cost effective price, which would have happened if Lowe didn't come in and offer a bloated contract.