HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers to Winnipeg: done deal

Old
05-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
hainsey was just on the radio (tsn radio) and he didn t sound overly thrilled to be going to Winnipeg. Just happy that it was settle. Wonder who else may not be happy about the move.
Same thing for Eric Boulton on TSN. He discovered on air that the Jets would play on the SouthEast division, his face changed of colour ! !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
JuJu Mobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
We'll have to see what happens. Bettman might want to stick a struggling team in Las Vegas or Kansas City (his "go-to" relocation scenario city).
Watch for Seattle :

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2035939/

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
frederixx

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
I live in NV, Las Vegas defenitely have the potential for an NHL team, The Wranglers are almost sold out every game (and it's crappy ECHL).

Old
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Jets jerseys were always nice. Keep them as is, no need to change, they've aged well. I'm pretty happy right now...I almost emo'd out a few tears. The Jets were always my second favourite team. No hockey in Winnipeg for 16 years...but the consolation prize is Evander Kane and a 7th pick that could end up being Couturier. I hope this is approved....The first of the sun belt US teams to fold....will this be a trend...or an anomaly? ). The team 990 even bantered the idea of a team in the Maritimes....aren't they precious?) The Coyotes still look vulnerable. The Predators are well run and are stacked for success; they should be fine for a while. Two teams in Florida still seems like a lot (barring winter crowds composed of Habs fans). We'll have to see what happens. Bettman might want to stick a struggling team in Las Vegas or Kansas City (his "go-to" relocation scenario city).
Basic business 101 says keeping old Jets jerseys will not and should not happen. While you will still get fans wearing Jets jerseys to games, you need all new merch to capitalize on the excitement and bring in big revenue. I imagine the new unis will have some sort of tribute to the Jets though, like with an emblem on the shoulder or something.

I am quite certain that, at some point in the next ~20 years, franchises will be attempted in both Kansas City and Vegas, as both same like reasonable markets. Whether it's through relocation, or some form of dispersement with a team folding and new teams expanding, those two markets would likely do better than the worst of the league today. Bettman was pretty clear today, though, that places like Quebec City and Hamilton shouldn't get their hopes up any time soon (and nor should the American locations). The NHL remains committed to trying to keep existing franchises in place. This sort of move is a last resort, as it should be.

It would be convenient, however, to have Phoenix move to an eastern location like Quebec City after this year to help with the realignment of divisions. If that doesn't take place, I wonder if the return of a team to Manitoba is the move that finally sends the Red Wings to the East.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Komarov47

i think they will be call Manitoba Moose, with a brand new logo. Business is Business, it's a good way to sell more and more merch.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
hotcarle

The jerseys would be RBK Edge jerseys and could look a bit different than the old Jets jerseys, I still think fans would buy them...but I see what people mean.

I thought the NHL said True North could use the name Jets....we'll see.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Be clever man, why a team owner would keep a team who's the arena is half emptu the whole season, and gain no money for about 4 years ??? Bettman isn't a fool he knows that it simply doesn't work in Georgia.
If you're blaming the demise on the Thrashers on the market and not the owners, then you don't know what you're talking about. It's abundantly clear if you do any research that the screw-job was in from the beginning once ASG took over.

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
I must say I am confused as to how there being an NHL team in Winnipeg instead of Atlanta has any bearing on Montreal sports at all? You made me lol though, so good on you.
Because Atlanta is a better/bigger market than Winnipeg? Because having the sport grow in the United States is better for the city of Montreal than having it stagnate in Canada

Those are just two reasons, but I can go on.

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
Because Atlanta is a better/bigger market than Winnipeg? Because having the sport grow in the United States is better for the city of Montreal than having it stagnate in Canada

Those are just two reasons, but I can go on.
I don't know about that.

I think there is a case to be made that Atlanta is probably the better potential market due to size/regional capital, etc...

But there are two failed case studies (Flames and Thrashers) that one can't ignore when evaluating the potential for the NHL's prodcut (hockey) in Atlanta.

Winnipeg also has a history of failure, however conditions are much different now... our dollar, driven by the high price of oil, is much more competitive and Canada's economic orientation much more conducive to success in Winnipeg.

Atlanta is a nice big city... but it's easier to sell ice hockey to eskimos than rappers.

Complicated stuff for a hockey message board none the less. There are a lot of variables in any consideration of the two.

All that can be said for now... I'm sure the NHL owners will be happy to stop some of the bleeding in the short term. Habs owner included.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I hope they'll keep the Thrashers name...

re-brand it to be the farm machine instead of a bird.

Aside but I like the song Thrasher by Neil Young... and have always liked the team name.

Plus the french have a hard time with it and it always sounds as if Pierre is calling them the Trashers.... which I really think is great.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
hotcarle

Just because a market is big doesn't make it a plausible hockey market. Mexico City is big, 30 Million potential new hockey fans, but not a hockey market. Atlanta had their chance. They got good young stars in the draft; even if their first #1 pick Stefan busted (as did almost all of the 99 draft) and Lehtonen never played a full season, they had Kovalchuk and Heatley (who turned into Hossa) to electrify the building. It just didn't take.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:38 PM
hotcarle

Just because Winnipeg is not the biggest city, doesn't make the NHL bush-league. The NFL is not bush-league because of the Green Bay Packers.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Same thing for Eric Boulton on TSN. He discovered on air that the Jets would play on the SouthEast division, his face changed of colour ! !
So the rumor was right.

This means the league is already planning on moving the Yotes next year.

Question is... where... Seattle, KC, LV??

If it were the real choices they had in mind, they could already start sending a western team out east. If they aren't already doing this, it means Quebec is probably first in line to get the Yotes. Unless they can't get through the present political hurdle and the CND goes down, it will probably be Quebec IMO.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Really excited for Manitobans, and just myself in general.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Just because a market is big doesn't make it a plausible hockey market. Mexico City is big, 30 Million potential new hockey fans, but not a hockey market. Atlanta had their chance. They got good young stars in the draft; even if their first #1 pick Stefan busted (as did almost all of the 99 draft) and Lehtonen never played a full season, they had Kovalchuk and Heatley (who turned into Hossa) to electrify the building. It just didn't take.
The problem with Atlanta is they have 3 good sports teams that were there long before the Thrashers and old Flames. Currently the Braves, Falcons and Hawks all have good teams, so why waste money seeing a ****** team? Of course the fans won't buy tickets, look at the competition.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Just because a market is big doesn't make it a plausible hockey market.
This is Canada. Anywhere, Canada is a market.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I hope they will keep the same name and jerseys. It would be plain awesome.

Everything else would be sad.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So the rumor was right.

This means the league is already planning on moving the Yotes next year.

Question is... where... Seattle, KC, LV??

If it were the real choices they had in mind, they could already start sending a western team out east. If they aren't already doing this, it means Quebec is probably first in line to get the Yotes. Unless they can't get through the present political hurdle and the CND goes down, it will probably be Quebec IMO.
I don't know really. Apparently per TSN, the plan is to let Manitoba play on the southest division then move it to the Western conf. next year, so maybe the purpose is to let a door open for a potential Phoenix moving, or maybe it's because NHL's board is full of lazy ass and won't have the time to make the division changing and the new calendar in time for october. I must say that's a quick move. In 4 months :
- Manitoba will have to add some seat to their arena,
- unveil a brand new jersey,
- a brand new logo (or keep the Jets?),
- a brand new team name,
- maybe a new DG, a new president and a new coach....
- deal with UFA

Old
06-01-2011, 01:23 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Just because Winnipeg is not the biggest city, doesn't make the NHL bush-league. The NFL is not bush-league because of the Green Bay Packers.
Exactly. And it's funny that you mention a Wisconsin team because I'm almost positive that a team in Wisconsin would have more die-hard fans than a team in Atlanta, at a tenth of the population.

What Bettman failed to realize during his expansion was that it isn't about the population, it's about the market.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Erika

Very great news !! Glad to hear !! I Feel bad for the die-hard fans in Atlanta, but the city was not a hockey market. Unfortunately, there was not enough of them...barely any fans at the games.

The average Joe in Atlanta probably doesn't even care about this relocation...

So good riddance to the Atlanta Trashers and welcome home Winnipeg !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Komarov47

Per The Hockey News :

Quote:
Not even the challenges that lie ahead for the franchise (including the words of an NHL player agent who told THN weeks ago, “Players are talking about Winnipeg. No one - and I mean no one - wants to play there. You think Edmonton has a PR problem? Watch this one.”)

Old
06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
neofury*

If it isn't going to be the Jets then that's just ****ing stupid in my opinion. Yeah I know it isn't Phoenix going back but it should have been anyways. Just give the people of Winnipeg their darn Jets. Manitoba Lamewads won't suffice.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika EllerWick View Post
Very great news !! Glad to hear !! I Feel bad for the die-hard fans in Atlanta, but the city was not a hockey market. Unfortunately, there was not enough of them...barely any fans at the games.
Really? Even if Winnipeg sells out their entire building, its only 1500 more people per game than the Thrasher's average attendance last year.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Per The Hockey News :
Saw that coming.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote