HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thrashers to Winnipeg: done deal

Old
06-01-2011, 10:09 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Really? Even if Winnipeg sells out their entire building, its only 1500 more people per game than the Thrasher's average attendance last year.
Fake attendance numbers, lower prices, free beer night etc...

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Really? Even if Winnipeg sells out their entire building, its only 1500 more people per game than the Thrasher's average attendance last year.
I really don't get that. It's like they inflated the numbers because it's brutally obvious the place is next to empty every time I watched the Habs play there on TV. They avoid showing the stands. Something doesn't add up in my mind.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I really don't get that. It's like they inflated the numbers because it's brutally obvious the place is next to empty every time I watched the Habs play there on TV. They avoid showing the stands. Something doesn't add up in my mind.
Every team in the league does this, they count season ticket holders even if they show up, so its all relevant. Paid attendance is the number the NHL uses, not how many people actually show up.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Every team in the league does this, they count season ticket holders even if they show up, so its all relevant. Paid attendance is the number the NHL uses, not how many people actually show up.
Yeah I wasn't sure but I thought that was the case. Still though Atlanta sold enough season tickets to be only 1500 people short of what a full house in the Peg would be? I find that inflated. Just me though.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah I wasn't sure but I thought that was the case. Still though Atlanta sold enough season tickets to be only 1500 people short of what a full house in the Peg would be? I find that inflated. Just me though.
Not to mention that the 'real' numbers are much more than that. People in the seats means more merch, more concessions. They won't be in the top 5 for revenue, that's for sure, but they won't be phoenix/atlanta bad either.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not to mention that the 'real' numbers are much more than that. People in the seats means more merch, more concessions. They won't be in the top 5 for revenue, that's for sure, but they won't be phoenix/atlanta bad either.
True. Didn't think of that. Also I'm pretty sure all the merch sold in sports stores outside the arena will blow Atl away too.

Incidentally I still have a jets hat I bought 5-6 years ago in Winnipeg at a place called River City Sports. Wonder if I should still wear that or not now...

Old
06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pretty sure number of tickets 'sold' is what they go by, and they have a very loose definition of sold.

Giveaways, buy 1 get 1 free, extremely low prices, etc. If the announced attendance is 13,500 and the building is 80% empty there are reasons for that, and those reasons usually don't add up to making money.

Now if the announced attendance is 15,000 and there are actually 15,000 people there, and you're selling your tickets at the 3rd highest prices in the league... That's a world of difference.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
billy piton

Quote:
i think this could make the difference:

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

At $82, Winnipeg will have the third highest average ticket prices in the NHL after Toronto and Montreal – hockey-mad cities with much bigger populations to draw on.

in atlanta it was $45.

billy piton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
habsfan92

That's one of the things that gets me-showing average ticket prices for Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, then Toronto & Montreal as comparisons to Winnipegs'. Why not also show the average prices for Columbus, NYI, Florida, Nashville, and Phoenix.
My company had seasons for the Moose, so we get priority for Jets? seasons, which means I get dibs on Montreal games.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Well it has been a slice
I will be around and about checking in now and then
I will still get RDS and watch what games I can
But I will still be rooting for the Habs when ever I can

But you have to understand I finally get a "home" team to cheer for again
peace

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
D3nZ

From Radio-Canada Acadie (french CBC Atlantic), Danny Williams (former premier of NFLD and Labrador) and the current owners of the Manitoba Moose apparently have a deal in place that would move the team to St-John's NFLD.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't know why that market hasn't been tested yet.

Some of the markets which would be ready to take a team, have already failed as hockey markets, while Seattle hasn't seen elite pro hockey since the early 20th century and seems more suited for the sport.

Some people don't like the idea of Utah, but Salt Lake IMO might be a much better fit than Kansas City or Vegas.

The West with cities like SD, SLC, San Antonio, Portland and Seattle, seems ripe for the picking compared to central-US with destinations like KC, Cleveland, Houston, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City and Cincinnati, seeing how much trouble teams like Columbus and Dallas have and to some extent Nashville too.

EDIT: Just saw on RIS that Bill Daly has met with some people in Seattle for a relocation.

Would love to have a team here…but it’s not going to happen.
San Diego needs a new arena and our city/county government is weak (and broke).
Heck, this city is getting ready for the Chargers to leave as a new football stadium is looking like a long shot at best.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
From Radio-Canada Acadie (french CBC Atlantic), Danny Williams (former premier of NFLD and Labrador) and the current owners of the Manitoba Moose apparently have a deal in place that would move the team to St-John's NFLD.

Totally misread that for a moment.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
Yeah, Millard just mentioned that on Sportsnet. Appropriate place for a team named "the Moose" (that's where we go moose hunting, but having a best friend from Burgeo factors in there), but was it really necessary to move them half of the second largest country in the world away?!

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Apparently they sold 1870 season tickets in the 4 hours the tickets we're on sale today. That's a pretty good clip.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:09 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Apparently they sold 1870 season tickets in the 4 hours the tickets we're on sale today. That's a pretty good clip.
and those are only moose ticket holders...

billy piton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
and those are only moose ticket holders...
Is that right? Damn, good on 'em.

Old
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Habs

Quote:

At $82, Winnipeg will have the third highest average ticket prices in the NHL after Toronto and Montreal – hockey-mad cities with much bigger populations to draw on.

in atlanta it was $45.
Yet they will still be eligible for revenue sharing, according to all accounts.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Yet they will still be eligible for revenue sharing, according to all accounts.
So Atlanta putting 10 000 butts in the seats for an average of 45$ per ticket or Winnipeg putting in 15000 butts in the seats for an average of 82$ per ticket.

Clearly they will make less money than they did in Atlanta...

Old
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Good to hear...really hoping Winnipegers blow this out of the water, make everyone realize the NHL belongs here.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

in atlanta it was $45.
This reminds me of a "expose" on car prices in Canada I saw not long ago. They followed the life of a car manufactured in Ontario, shipped across the border by the manufacturer for sale in the US, and sold for thousands less than what Canadians were paying for the same car (off the same assembly line, and even after taxes, duties, and the exchange rate) and sold locally instead of shipped to the States.

Some "expert" was asked how the car, after shipping and duty costs (manufacturers are still subject to this at some level, obviously), could actually be sold for less in the US than the exact same car that didn't have to make the same journey across the border. He said that prices are set higher in Canada by the manufacturer(s) because they honestly believe that Canadians are simply willing to pay more for cars than Americans (yeah, everyone up here loves paying more for something than it's worth...), so they simply charge more. No other explanation than that. Seems like the same is true for hockey tickets. Although that one seems a lot more obvious, it still doesn't seem fair.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
This reminds me of a "expose" on car prices in Canada I saw not long ago. They followed the life of a car manufactured in Ontario, shipped across the border by the manufacturer for sale in the US, and sold for thousands less than what Canadians were paying for the same car (off the same assembly line, and even after taxes, duties, and the exchange rate) and sold locally instead of shipped to the States.

Some "expert" was asked how the car, after shipping and duty costs (manufacturers are still subject to this at some level, obviously), could actually be sold for less in the US than the exact same car that didn't have to make the same journey across the border. He said that prices are set higher in Canada by the manufacturer(s) because they honestly believe that Canadians are simply willing to pay more for cars than Americans (yeah, everyone up here loves paying more for something than it's worth...), so they simply charge more. No other explanation than that. Seems like the same is true for hockey tickets. Although that one seems a lot more obvious, it still doesn't seem fair.
Yeah, the whole car-thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

Hockey definitely does though. It's just supply/demand. Pretty sure the Leafs and Habs could play in a 40,000 seat arena and sell out every game. I am a little perplexed as to why the ticket price is so much higher in Winnipeg than in other Canadian markets. I understand this can pass as "supply/demand" due to the smaller arena, but frankly the market is also that much smaller than the rest of them. To myself that just cancelled each other out and I expected tickets in the 60-70$ range. I guess they are going to try and turn a profit with this thing. I will say right now, at that price if they don't deliver the goods in the first 5 years things will start to get a little sketchy in terms of the population willing to shell out that kind of dough to see a stinker once the novelty wears off.

It's very important they build a consistent playoff-bound team and have some success in the playoffs.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:

Hockey definitely does though. It's just supply/demand. Pretty sure the Leafs and Habs could play in a 40,000 seat arena and sell out every game. I am a little perplexed as to why the ticket price is so much higher in Winnipeg than in other Canadian markets. I understand this can pass as "supply/demand" due to the smaller arena, but frankly the market is also that much smaller than the rest of them. To myself that just cancelled each other out and I expected tickets in the 60-70$ range. I guess they are going to try and turn a profit with this thing. I will say right now, at that price if they don't deliver the goods in the first 5 years things will start to get a little sketchy in terms of the population willing to shell out that kind of dough to see a stinker once the novelty wears off.

It's very important they build a consistent playoff-bound team and have some success in the playoffs.
Agreed, they've got a free pass for 2-3 years but after that the honeymoon will be over...knowbody is going to be interested in a watching a 10th place team year after year.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

Very different situations. NHL teams will fix the prices so they can make as much money as they can while taking in account arena size, its simple economics. Price affects demand while the offer is the number of seats available (a sell out is not necessarily more profitable if the tickets are very cheap obviously).

Obviously its going to be less expansive in Atlanta as hockey isn't very popular there. People are not ready to pay as much for hockey and thats a fact. The bigger Canadian teams will set prices as high as people are willing to pay for places since they are going to fill arenas at max capacity anyways.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Very different situations. NHL teams will fix the prices so they can make as much money as they can while taking in account arena size, its simple economics. Price affects demand while the offer is the number of seats available (a sell out is not necessarily more profitable if the tickets are very cheap obviously).

Obviously its going to be less expansive in Atlanta as hockey isn't very popular there. People are not ready to pay as much for hockey and thats a fact. The bigger Canadian teams will set prices as high as people are willing to pay for places since they are going to fill arenas at max capacity anyways.
Quote:

No, no, I understand the economics side of it. Just saying that the "extra" bit expensive that the tickets are seems to be at least partly because they expect the fans to be willing to pay it. Every press conference from the league since the announcement has been focused on "show us the money", "we need your money", "break out you wallets", "put your money where your mouth is"... and oh yeah, btw, those tickets are gonna be pretty damned expensive - just so ya know.