HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
StormSurge9

vCash: 500
Right after I posted that I read on the Storm website that Leslie has been signed. It's shaping up to be a not bad D-core.

Pedan - Finn

Two of Campbell/Gaskin/Perriera

Nichol/Leslie

Harpur

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
stormtracker

Early predictions have the Storm slated for last in the West. If that is the case, then how do you feel about that? For me, the past few years since 2006 except for 2008 have not done much for advancement in the playoffs so if the team is going to be bad, it might as well tank now so we have a shot at elite talent the next draft. Might as well sell off the overagers for as much as can be obtained. If it means moving Pedan at the deadline as well, that might be worth the return. Let's start a Storm Tank Nation movement now (if the team is going to be as bad as advertised. I realize it is only August but there needs to be something to look forward to).

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
Early predictions have the Storm slated for last in the West. If that is the case, then how do you feel about that? For me, the past few years since 2006 except for 2008 have not done much for advancement in the playoffs so if the team is going to be bad, it might as well tank now so we have a shot at elite talent the next draft. Might as well sell off the overagers for as much as can be obtained. If it means moving Pedan at the deadline as well, that might be worth the return. Let's start a Storm Tank Nation movement now (if the team is going to be as bad as advertised. I realize it is only August but there needs to be something to look forward to).
I would like a tank nation going on, best way to rebuild is to finish at the bottom and acquire the best talent available.

As for your comment about Pedan, I don't think we should move him. He could be a huge part our our D-core alongside Finn and Leslie (rookie, but Kelly descibes him as a kid with a TON of upside)

I would get rid of the OA's but I doubt we would get a whole lot for them. Foote might be our biggest trade chip at the moment.

With our current young core of players, a season getting players at the top wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
I would like a tank nation going on, best way to rebuild is to finish at the bottom and acquire the best talent available.

As for your comment about Pedan, I don't think we should move him. He could be a huge part our our D-core alongside Finn and Leslie (rookie, but Kelly descibes him as a kid with a TON of upside)

I would get rid of the OA's but I doubt we would get a whole lot for them. Foote might be our biggest trade chip at the moment.

With our current young core of players, a season getting players at the top wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
I 100 percent agree. Although the fan base may not like it, its best for the Storm to totally bottom out like Barrie has done, pick up a special talent (Joshua Ho Sang or Michael Del Colle) and then start fresh next year.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Storm Watching

Tigers...where do you see Fabbri being drafted? He looked good at the NHLPA game last weekend.

I'd only move Pedan at the deadline and then only then if the offer was too good to pass up. He should still be here for two seasons.

Storm Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:03 AM
StormSurge9

It would need to be a MASSIVE overpayment for me to be willing to move Pedan.

We have young forwards (Kos, McGinn, Garlent, Dickinson) but the team seems like they are willing to keep two OA's as dman, after this season what would we be left with? Only really Finn and Leslie as guys with good upsides.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:17 AM
TobiasE

Fabbri in my mind is in the mix with the likes of DalColle, HoSang, Duchesne. Its always tough because if he had a growth spirt he could be #1 but could fall anywhere to top 10..

Excellent skilled player and leader for the Rebels, we will have to wait and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Watching View Post
Tigers...where do you see Fabbri being drafted? He looked good at the NHLPA game last weekend.

I'd only move Pedan at the deadline and then only then if the offer was too good to pass up. He should still be here for two seasons.

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasE View Post
Fabbri in my mind is in the mix with the likes of DalColle, HoSang, Duchesne. Its always tough because if he had a growth spirt he could be #1 but could fall anywhere to top 10..

Excellent skilled player and leader for the Rebels, we will have to wait and see
Indeed. Its very eary, and we have yet to see players from the states more consistantly. At this point im not sure if he is at the same level as those two, but at the same time I dont like to even talk about rankings until Jan.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:03 PM
stormtracker

I would be okay with keeping Pedan beyond this upcoming year minus a monster offer. If my assumption is correct that rebuilding with top picks requires at least until the second year after their being drafted for the team to be competitive, then it will be in 2013-14 when next year's draft picks begin to reap dividends. So I do not
see keeping Pedan for two full years of non competitive versions of the team. As well, if we are getting a top import draft pick as well, his being traded would create some room. So if the market is there better to get some really top notch assets for down the road rather than get nothing at all for the next two years. This is a little wordy but hope my point is understood.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:53 PM
StormSurge9

I just think that given our lack of blue line depth, that Tanner Richard would be waived/traded before Pedan would.

Both are the same age

Old
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM
HockeyBlogFan

2011/2012 Roster has been posted on the Storm website:

http://www.guelphstorm.com/roster/index/team/5

HockeyBlogFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
StormSurge9

Wow I guess one thing I missed when doing my original lineup was the handiness of the dman, with Campbell being the ONLY D listed as a right handed shot, I have to think they will keep him.

That means likely one of Perriera or Gaskin is gone before the season starts or just after (Sisca last season)

Old
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
Wow I guess one thing I missed when doing my original lineup was the handiness of the dman, with Campbell being the ONLY D listed as a right handed shot, I have to think they will keep him.

That means likely one of Perriera or Gaskin is gone before the season starts or just after (Sisca last season)
I think u are right Thiel. I would suspect Gaskin will be dealt....my guess would be Oshawa...who were in on him a bit last year.

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
StormSurge9

I have a feeling it will be Gaskin as well.

But really it's dealing whoever nets us the best assets.

Old
08-13-2011, 12:30 PM
stormtracker

Interesting that only two goaltenders are listed. Not sure about you but I am all for trying to get whatever we can for Foote and maybe hold onto him for a little while to see what the interest is. However, I am not interested in having him steal any development time from Sparks nor win some early games with his wildly up and down play to put the Storm out of a top draft position. He had his chances to do well with Guelph but he could not make the big save consistently when needed in three consecutive first round series. So it is time for him to move on from Guelph.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:17 PM
StormSurge9

Just a gut feeling, doubt he moves till the deadline.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:31 AM
stormtracker

Well as mentioned, I do not want him stealing development time from Sparks.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
goaliemonkey
Rookie User

Well put ! Roster only shows 3 centers? Who do you think could be the 4th

goaliemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:56 AM
StormSurge9

I don't think it should cut into Sparks development, I think the coaching staff knows that they are rebuilding and will hand the reigns over to Sparks. That being said, Foote could get into a fair share in order to "showcase" him to other teams.

As for the roster on the website, it also shows only 11 forwards. My guess is a trade involving one of the OA defenceman will come together to bring in another FW. Also, it could possibly be a free agent is added.

At the same time, Dickinson is listed at LW, but I know he has played some center in the past. So it wouldn't really matter which position a new guy plays.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
stormtracker

You might be right that the Storm will hold onto Foote to try to get a better offer but the market is not great generally for overage goaltenders unless they are at the
top of the position. Not sure what we should expect for someone who never has won a playoff series.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
StormSurge9

But to be honest, I think Foote is better then Brandon Maxwell who was traded to Sarnia.

Sarnia gave up a decent young player with upside in Brandon Francisco.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:12 PM
stormtracker

I hope you're right MLB about Guelph being able to get some value for Foote. Unlike Maxwell, however, Foote has never been drafted, never played for his country, and never won a playoff series. Hard to see him as a late bloomer.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:43 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I 100 percent agree. Although the fan base may not like it, its best for the Storm to totally bottom out like Barrie has done, pick up a special talent (Joshua Ho Sang or Michael Del Colle) and then start fresh next year.
A lot of the winning fanbases understand the rebuild as a process. Last year was supposed to be a huge year for Guelph. Certainly on paper I was convinced that they'd be right in the middle of the war for the Western Conference, and even at times in the Saginaw series, I thought they might find a way to pull through. So it seemed the plan was to take a run this last year and reload this year, which didn't exactly happen, which makes the idea of a rebuild this year very frustrating.

Guelph would have to try to give assets they don't really have to put up any kind of a battle against the Western contenders. However the midwest being weak, it COULD see them battle for the division, but IMO, it's more intelligent to load up and build a true contender around a real superstar calibre player (which they will get if they rebuild this year), not one that could win a weak division, then get slaughtered in the 2nd round. They have good pieces with Foote, Pedan, Gaskin, and Campbell. I think it would be best for them to trade off these guys for young players and good picks and build around guys like Finn, Leslie, McGinn, Kos, Garlent, etc. Keep in mind, Guelph drafted a goaltender, who IMO was a steal in Jason DaSilva. It's possible they could bring him in as their 4th 95, and develop behind Sparks.

CoyotesHFNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:45 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
I hope you're right MLB about Guelph being able to get some value for Foote. Unlike Maxwell, however, Foote has never been drafted, never played for his country, and never won a playoff series. Hard to see him as a late bloomer.
I think you'll agree stormtracker, that Foote had his moments where he looked great.. Just didn't do it consistently enough. In the end, unless they can suck someone in who's desparate you'll likely be looking at a early-mid round pick or two, and maybe a replacement OA skater.

CoyotesHFNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:44 AM
stormtracker

Agree Coyote et al. I will take the draft picks, thanks.