HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
stormtracker

vCash: 500
Funny how the Storm beats a top team like Ottawa on the road trip and then loses two to Belleville and Kingston. I know the injuries hurt but it seems mindless errors in their own zone are hurting them seriously.

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
StormSurge9

It really seems to be one step forward, two steps back.

It's like they gain almost to much confidence beating the good teams, and it's like they like they don't need to try against the weaker teams. It blows my mind.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
UppA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
I was there to and I think that most fans started becoming used to seeing Sparks put up some good numbers. But, it was his third game in three days (not even 3 days as it was a little over 12 hours from the time they played OS).

I know they had a 16yo Da Silva as the backup, but I think he should have played at least one of the games this weeked.

Pedan has a reason for fans to be on him. He takes some real stupid penalties and is very inconsistent. I have been happy with Richard and Menard all season.

Hopefully we get a boost with the return of McGinn to the lineup.
I am loving the future in StormCity with all of these young kids - Look out in the 2013/14 season! Question, what picks does Guelph all have this year? I know they have there own 1st and someone else's 2nd (they traded their own 2nd) but how about after that? Any help?

UppA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UppA45 View Post
I am loving the future in StormCity with all of these young kids - Look out in the 2013/14 season! Question, what picks does Guelph all have this year? I know they have there own 1st and someone else's 2nd (they traded their own 2nd) but how about after that? Any help?
Agreed on the future, I'm excited.

As for the picks, I have not been keeping track so unfortunatly I couldn't tell you which picks are owned.

Old
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
stormtracker

The Storm has its destiny in its hands. Beat Erie and Owen Sound and make it to the playoffs. Somehow, I do not think it will be that easy but here's hoping.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Ottomatic

Beat Erie tonight and you're in. Soo wins one game at most and that would give them 62 points, where you're at now. If you beat Erie and win one in OS you're getting the 7th seed and Spits are not winning more than one of their three remaining games.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:06 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Beat Erie tonight and you're in. Soo wins one game at most and that would give them 62 points, where you're at now. If you beat Erie and win one in OS you're getting the 7th seed and Spits are not winning more than one of their three remaining games.
This is how I have seen it, win 1 and were in. Win two and we are getting the 7th seed. Very doable playing Erie and an Owen Sound team minus Halmo.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:32 AM
StormSurge9

Big game tonight, magic number is one measly point.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:38 PM
stormtracker

The Storm are in the playoffs with a solid shutout of Owen Sound. Well done, team. You did yourself proud and confounded all of the pundits who picked you for last.

Good luck in the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2012, 12:00 AM
StormSurge9

Wow had to love the atmosphere at the Sleeman Centre friday night, that was the loudest I had heard that building in a while! Great job on making the playoffs to the boys, well deserved!

I am quite happy about seeing Plymouth instead of London in the first round, we match up better and split the season series (including that 9-1 win).

If regular season trends continue we sure are headed for a high scoring series, in 4 regular season games the teams scored a total of 39 goals.

Go Storm Go!

Old
03-18-2012, 08:13 AM
hockeylegend11

Congrats to the Storm for their playoff spot,must admit I was one who thought they would not make it in
However shrewd drafting by Mike Kelly,as well as some nice improvement by most of the players gives this team alot of hope going forward
Garlent,Auger,Dickinson,Richard,
Bertuzzi,Leslie,Harpur really showed something this year
They play like Owen Sd,real good speed and a pain in the arse to go up against
When the Storm play hard they are a handful,when they dont they really suffer,the Storm like most young teams dont have the talent to overcome hard work
The future is bright in Guelph,enjoy your playoff run,much like Windsor ,defeating your playoff opponent will be a daunting task,nevertheless the experience gained will be invaluable
The Storm are in great hands with Walker and Mike Kelly

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Congrats to the Storm for their playoff spot,must admit I was one who thought they would not make it in
However shrewd drafting by Mike Kelly,as well as some nice improvement by most of the players gives this team alot of hope going forward
Garlent,Auger,Dickinson,Richard,
Bertuzzi,Leslie,Harpur really showed something this year
They play like Owen Sd,real good speed and a pain in the arse to go up against
When the Storm play hard they are a handful,when they dont they really suffer,the Storm like most young teams dont have the talent to overcome hard work
The future is bright in Guelph,enjoy your playoff run,much like Windsor ,defeating your playoff opponent will be a daunting task,nevertheless the experience gained will be invaluable
The Storm are in great hands with Walker and Mike Kelly
With the inexperience we had going into the season, even as a fan I thought disaster. But by the end I became incredibly excited about next year and beyond.

We played this season with 3 OA's and only 2 19 year old players, which is amazing. 8 rookies were regulars (and Tanner Richard doesn't even qualify as a rookie even though it was his first year). Keegan Calder, another rookie also played in a handful of games before being injured.

Garlent and Dickinson both impress me lots. Garlent ended up finishing as the 2nd best 16 yo points wise (behind only Domi) While Dickinson was 6th in points among 16 year olds. Bertuzzi never takes a shift off and always finds a way of changing momentum.

Now there are still some holes, Particullary on D. Maybe an OA is brought in to bring a vetrean presence on the blue line (since we currently only have 2 slated for next season) or a high profile rookie (6th pick)

All in all, with Mike Kelly and Scott Walker (along with the assistant coaches) I can't wait for next year in Storm City! Even if we do get knocked out in the first round this year, the experience will do wonders for these kids.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
UppA45

Quote:
With the inexperience we had going into the season, even as a fan I thought disaster. But by the end I became incredibly excited about next year and beyond.

We played this season with 3 OA's and only 2 19 year old players, which is amazing. 8 rookies were regulars (and Tanner Richard doesn't even qualify as a rookie even though it was his first year). Keegan Calder, another rookie also played in a handful of games before being injured.

Garlent and Dickinson both impress me lots. Garlent ended up finishing as the 2nd best 16 yo points wise (behind only Domi) While Dickinson was 6th in points among 16 year olds. Bertuzzi never takes a shift off and always finds a way of changing momentum.

Now there are still some holes, Particullary on D. Maybe an OA is brought in to bring a vetrean presence on the blue line (since we currently only have 2 slated for next season) or a high profile rookie (6th pick)

All in all, with Mike Kelly and Scott Walker (along with the assistant coaches) I can't wait for next year in Storm City! Even if we do get knocked out in the first round this year, the experience will do wonders for these kids.

I couldn't agree more about the future Brian. It definitely looks strong for 2013, even more so for 2014 and a good draft this year will go a long way to a potentially solid 2015 season as well! The future definitely looks bright!
As for this years draft pick, #6 is a good pick and we will get a great hockey player! I do hope we take one of the top end forwards though, as the fall off from the 2nd best defenceman (McKeown is best and should be gone by #6) compared to the top end forwards available at the #6 range is quite large. I have seen all of the kids play that will 'available' around the time that Guelph makes their first selection and I hope they go with one of either Jared Mccann or Michael Dal Colle. They are both big, solid, very skilled centres and they would compliment the team well (especially with Garlent being the small centre that he is). There will be lots of decent defencemen available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and they can always choose a couple of D-men then. Just my humble opinion and I just don't think they can pass up on some of the top end forward talent available at the #6 range. Too bad they weren't picking #2, McKeown is going to be an All Star some day. Either way, Guelph will be getting a heck of a player!

Old
03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UppA45 View Post
I couldn't agree more about the future Brian. It definitely looks strong for 2013, even more so for 2014 and a good draft this year will go a long way to a potentially solid 2015 season as well! The future definitely looks bright!
As for this years draft pick, #6 is a good pick and we will get a great hockey player! I do hope we take one of the top end forwards though, as the fall off from the 2nd best defenceman (McKeown is best and should be gone by #6) compared to the top end forwards available at the #6 range is quite large. I have seen all of the kids play that will 'available' around the time that Guelph makes their first selection and I hope they go with one of either Jared Mccann or Michael Dal Colle. They are both big, solid, very skilled centres and they would compliment the team well (especially with Garlent being the small centre that he is). There will be lots of decent defencemen available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and they can always choose a couple of D-men then. Just my humble opinion and I just don't think they can pass up on some of the top end forward talent available at the #6 range. Too bad they weren't picking #2, McKeown is going to be an All Star some day. Either way, Guelph will be getting a heck of a player!
It will be a great player, but also a tough position with for the Storm. I have heard Middleton as a potential top 10 pick, would #6 be a reach for him? I would no doubt love a guy like McCann, but when looking at our potential roster next season, it is clear Defence needs to be a focus.

Kosmachuk - Menard - Mitchell
McGinn - Garlent - Richard
McNaughton - Dickinson - Bertuzzi
Horvat - Watling - Auger
Turcotte - Calder

Not to mention Brody Milne has also been signed and I'm sure they want to get him some ice time. Now compare that to our Defence.

Finn - Pedan
Leslie - Poliziani
Harpur - Nichol

So even when you consider Harpur and Nichol played many games at forward this season, a solid dman is a must for this team.

Goalies are set, Sparks will be back as a starter and I will assume Jason Da Silva snags the backup role.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:54 AM
UppA45

Quote:
It will be a great player, but also a tough position with for the Storm. I have heard Middleton as a potential top 10 pick, would #6 be a reach for him? I would no doubt love a guy like McCann, but when looking at our potential roster next season, it is clear Defence needs to be a focus.

Kosmachuk - Menard - Mitchell
McGinn - Garlent - Richard
McNaughton - Dickinson - Bertuzzi
Horvat - Watling - Auger
Turcotte - Calder

Not to mention Brody Milne has also been signed and I'm sure they want to get him some ice time. Now compare that to our Defence.

Finn - Pedan
Leslie - Poliziani
Harpur - Nichol

So even when you consider Harpur and Nichol played many games at forward this season, a solid dman is a must for this team.

Goalies are set, Sparks will be back as a starter and I will assume Jason Da Silva snags the backup role.

I do agree, the defence will need the most help, especially for 2014. However I do think Middleton at 6 is a bit too much of a stretch (he's more like #10, 11 overall), just because the caliber of the forwards that will be available at that spot is undoubtedly very high! Remember, this draft is deeper then most and this #6 pick would probably be a #2 or #3 in most other years. Middleton is good, but I just don't see it as being the smart choice this time. I am also not Mr. Kelly though, haha I hope they can pick up 2 solid d-men in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as their will still be solid defencemen around then and one of them for sure, if not both, could step in next year and get some playing time. It is a tough call though, I hear what you're saying. Maybe a trade for a solid 18 year old d-man will have to take place, you have to pay a premium for this sometimes, but who that is the other option. I would love to get McKeown, but their is a 95% chance he is gone when Guelph gets to pick.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
StormSurge9

Good call on a trade I guess, if McCann or Del Colle are bigger players, do they use there size effecitvely? If so maybe we could use Auger as a barganing chip to get a dman?

I like Auger, but he kind of seems like the odd man out.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:18 AM
StormSurge9

Big win tonight to start the series!!

Hopefully this carries over to Sunday at the Sleeman Centre!! I hope everyone gets out and shows there Storm City Pride, I know I sure will!

Old
03-25-2012, 09:46 AM
dino200022

PLease beat the Whale!!!!

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
StormSurge9

I hope the boys can!

Got to bring the A game at what hopes to be a packed house!

Old
03-26-2012, 10:49 AM
UppA45

Quote:
Good call on a trade I guess, if McCann or Del Colle are bigger players, do they use there size effecitvely? If so maybe we could use Auger as a barganing chip to get a dman?

I like Auger, but he kind of seems like the odd man out.

Mccann is 6'0" and Dal Colle is 6'1" I believe. Both are great, mccann is a better skateer right now and has a bit more 'aggressiveness' to his game. Dal Colle is lakcing in speed right now a bit, but he has said he is working with Barb Underhill this summer to help that out, so that is a good thing. i'd be happy with either one, both are great players and more importantly, both play a 200 foot game!

Great start for the Storm in the playoffs, let's keep it going boys!

Old
03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
stormtracker

To continue, what has been overlooked is the fact that the team is now healthy which has helped to this winning streak. Plymouth can come back but it will be tough.

Old
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
StormSurge9

It's probably the best matchup Guelph could have hoped for in the first round. Our game is all about hard work and speed on the outside while it seems Plymouth's game is all about size and strength.

Using our speed on the outside wings has had a real big impact in creating scoring chances. It's still a long series but if these boys continue to play our game I like the chances going forward.

Got the throw a shoutout to Sparks and the D, they have played about as good as they could the first to games. Also the PK has been HUGE for us.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
KnightRanger

IMO, if Guelph has any chance of winning this series, they must win Tonight at home. Go get'em Storm.

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:12 PM
stormtracker

Two to two in the second period. The Storm not have to fight the Whalers but the refs. Two goals called back. Some missed calls on Plymouth. Keep your heads, boys.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:09 AM
StormSurge9

Normally I don't criticize refs, but tonight was the worst officiated game I have ever seen.

Multiple non calls and two goals that clearly should have counted, I think everyone but the refs and the guys upstairs knew that was in. The boys played well enough to win but totally got screwed over tonight.