HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Official UFA/RFA and Trade Thread - Pre-Free Agency Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
this is the worst trade iv ever seen.
highway robbery for avs

To Toronto: Paul Stastny John-Michael Liles, 11th overall pick, 153rd overall pick

To Colorado: Nazem Kadri, Jonas Gustavsson, Mike Komisarek, Tyler Bozak, Carl Gunnarsson, Jiraj Mikus, 25th overall pick, 39th overall pick, 86th overall pick

overpayment big time. burke won't trade kadri. i know he just wont
prospects picks, robbery for avs. avs win big
How is this overpayment? We get a high pick, get rid of Komisarek, and get a MASSIVE upgrade at center. Kadri is dandy, but if we're getting Paul Stastny without losing Schenn, Kulemin, Grabovski or Reimer, Kadri is clearly the odd man out.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
EazyB97

Looks like an obvious deal for the Leafs to make.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:36 PM
40BayStreet

I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Stastny and moving up to 11th, they can keep Liles and I would still think about making the trade.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah honestly...

The guy was drafted a year before Jake Gardiner the "future top 2 PMD" and saviour on the backend.

Gunnarsson is already in the NHL, and we'd be lucky to have Gardiner at the point Gunarsson is at after his 1st year in the AHL next year.
Gunnar was born in November 1986. Gardiner was born in july 1990, and is 3.5 years younger. Just so ya know. One is 24, the other is 20.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:38 PM
jamz

The Avs would never make that trade. How could anyone possibly see this deal as lopsided in their favor?

Old
05-26-2011, 03:39 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Gunnar was born in November 1986. Gardiner was born in july 1990, and is 3.5 years younger. Just so ya know. One is 24, the other is 20.
Oh I realize, I'm just saying in terms of experience they're very similar.

It's not the end of the world trading him, but we shouldn't be actively to give him away. Yes he has value but he's still improving and could be a useful part of this team going forward.

Although I do agree he will never be much better than a #4-5 dman.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:40 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Burke wanted to build from the net out, and has recently moved out Kaberle and Beauch with this deal adding Komi and Gunnar. I'm not sure our depth on the back end can withstand too much even if JML is brought in. All while expecting to go with a young goalie.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It's amazing how many people think that Gunnarsson is some kind of trade fodder when he is in fact a key piece of the team going forward..
What's so amazing, you want value you have to give up value? We have a couple defenceman coming up, so obviously a guy like Gunner might just up come in conversations to get a forward. You're acting like he's a future Norris candidate, some kind of untouchable. He's Gunnarson, a borderline top four at best.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah honestly...

The guy was drafted a year before Jake Gardiner the "future top 2 PMD" and saviour on the backend.

Gunnarsson is already in the NHL, and we'd be lucky to have Gardiner at the point Gunarsson is at after his 1st year in the AHL next year.
You miss a key difference between Gardiner/Gunnarson other than the obvious. Gunnarson was drafted as a 20 year old just shy of being 21 while Gardiner was drafted an 18 year old. By your flawed logic we would have to wait atleast a season longer to see if Gardiner become an NHL regular. Gunnarson has only been a mainstay on our roster for about a season and a half. He's been fairly inconsistent during that stretch. IMO he's at best a 4th defenseman because nothing really stands out about his game. I would expect him to be in any deal for a top line center.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
The Puck

Good thing the Avs include the 153rd overall pick, otherwise the deal wouldn't be even.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
The Avs would never make that trade. How could anyone possibly see this deal as lopsided in their favor?
Maybe the OP reallllyyy likes Kadri, or is a troll.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I like Gunnar a lot, but I see the need for the Leafs to add at least one significant defenceman onto the team to be a true contender, and probably 2 (one may be Gardiner or Blacker). That pushes Gunnarson down the depth chart a bit, and if we can't give up a #4 or 5 defenceman for our 1st line center were are crazy. I hate the thought of moving Kadri though, I really do.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Burke wanted to build from the net out, and has recently moved out Kaberle and Beauch with this deal adding Komi and Gunnar. I'm not sure our depth on the back end can withstand too much even if JML is brought in. All while expecting to go with a young goalie.
There should be enough on the open market to fix that issue. Schenn, Aulie and Phaneuf were all in our top 4 at the end of last year and likely to start there this year, so Burke should be able to make things work if a deal like this ever came along.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
What's so amazing, you want value you have to give up value? We have a couple defenceman coming up, so obviously a guy like Gunner might just come in conversations to get a forward. You're acting like he's a future Norris candidate, some kind of untouchable. He's Gunnarson, a borderline top four at best.
Um, there is something in between being trade fodder and a Norris candidate. Gunnarsson has shown that he can play 20 miinutes a game and be effective which is a level that the guys coming up need a lot of work to get to.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Who cares. Its Bleacher Report. I would trust someone here who claimed they had sources before I trusted Bleacher Report.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
darkside flow
nickeleye cool lemon

Gunnar was highly effective in the latter part of the season. I expect him to continue that forward momentum this year. Underrated part of the team, imo.

As for this deal.. there's arguments for both sides, but it's completely fictional so doesn't really deserve comment.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
actually we win that deal easy. You're way off on that one dude.
No kidding.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
eyeball11

Wouldn't like losing Gunnar but:

Stastny + Zibenejad + Liles is nice.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:09 PM

No point making a ton of signings. We have a lot of younger guys with potential who need roster time to see what they can do -- we already know what we're getting with guys like Laich, Belanger, etc. I'd rather give Bozak and Kadri more playing time and potentially Colborne too.

The only position I wouldn't be opposed to signing a player for is defence -- only an offensive guy though. We already have Phaneuf, Schenn, Aulie, Gunnarsson and Komisarek so it would only mean Lebda sitting. As well, it would give guys like Gardiner and Blacker more time in the AHL/OHL and if they look ready to step-in at the end of this season, Komisarek can sit next year, outplay someone and steal a spot or get bought-out.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Interactif

Quote:
highway robbery for avs

To Toronto: Paul Stastny John-Michael Liles, 11th overall pick, 153rd overall pick

To Colorado: Nazem Kadri, Jonas Gustavsson, Mike Komisarek, Tyler Bozak, Carl Gunnarsson, Jiraj Mikus, 25th overall pick, 39th overall pick, 86th overall pick

I want no part of Liles, but getting rid of Kommi is a trade off. I also wouldn't part with the 86th pick. Plus I would insist on Ryan O'Reilly to be included in any deal.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I want no part of Liles, but getting rid of Kommi is a trade off. I also wouldn't part with the 86th pick. Plus I would insist on Ryan O'Reilly to be included in any deal.
Really? Now that's just being greedy. O'Reilly is a big part of their future aswell.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Really? Now that's just being greedy. O'Reilly is a big part of their future aswell.
Call it a compromise for giving up Bozak, since we are just talking shop. I don't put much stock in these type of rumours as fun as they are.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:42 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
highway robbery for avs

Remove Kadri and you got a deal

Old
05-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Any one listen to HockeyCentral @ Noon today? Doug MacLean commented on the whole Richards to Toronto talk.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/hocke...ral-@-Noon.mp3

near the beginning.

- does not buy that Richards does not want to play in T.O, thinks he's open to it.
- thinks Richards wants 8 years and thinks Burke would pay that

MacLean is particularly close with many agents, and especially hockey people from PEI (his home province, as well as Richards) so its rather interesting to hear his comments.

8 years is steep IMO however if it gets him signed I would take it.

Old
05-26-2011, 05:01 PM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
If anyone find any mistakes, point them out.

Man I wish I could make the tables right beside each other.
Op looks great on my iPhone!

Closed Thread