HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Official UFA/RFA and Trade Thread - Pre-Free Agency Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind offering one of our 1st + for Ribeiro. Ribeiro and Grabovski would be good down the middle. The only problem is that our team may be too small for Burkes liking, but we could always fix the lines so there is always 1 bigger, physical guy on each line.

Lupul-Ribeiro-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Frattin-Brent-Brown

Old
06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
I tried to keep the chemistry with the grabs line which is why they're playing on the same line all year. No point in trying to ruin that line.
They are big boys; they won't be "ruined" playing with someone else. We'd be much better off with Grabo on our 1st PP unit than Kadri.

Kadri wasn't much of a standout in his NHL stints. He didn't ever control the play, he was weak on his skates, easy to take the puck from and had difficulty following RW's 5-on-5 structures.

What makes him capable of playing 1st unit PP minutes on a team that needs to improve an abysmal PP if they have any shot at the playoffs? Are we going to put him on our PK too?

Old
06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I wouldn't mind offering one of our 1st + for Ribeiro. Ribeiro and Grabovski would be good down the middle. The only problem is that our team may be too small for Burkes liking, but we could always fix the lines so there is always 1 bigger, physical guy on each line.

Lupul-Ribeiro-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Frattin-Brent-Brown
There is an absolute 0% chance Ribeiro gets traded. Unless of course, the Stars are getting an upgrade at centre in return.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
They are big boys; they won't be "ruined" playing with someone else. We'd be much better off with Grabo on our 1st PP unit than Kadri.

Kadri wasn't much of a standout in his NHL stints. He didn't ever control the play, he was weak on his skates, easy to take the puck from and had difficulty following RW's 5-on-5 structures.

What makes him capable of playing 1st unit PP minutes on a team that needs to improve an abysmal PP if they have any shot at the playoffs? Are we going to put him on our PK too?
because he has the vision to quarterback the powerplay. I've seen it in the AHL making superb passes breaking down the box. I feel with ice-time and quality powerplay time he can put 40+ points up on the 3rd line. He needs to center the 2nd line the following year if we lose Grabo, so we have to give the opportunity to produce with good players. We're still a rebuilding team here.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
if we can't land Richards and no one wants to let go of Grabo (it sounds like most fans think he's untouchable), then we will have to mortgage the future. someone like Kadri, 1st round picks, and our goaltending prospects will have to be given up. we have no choice.

i think the fans are hopeful that we get rid of our spare/bad parts to improve the team, but it just won't happen.
The only center rumoured to be available that I would tarde Grabs for is Stastny.

Grabs
Gunnar
Philly 1st
Boston 1st

for

Stastny

Pro's for Col

legitimate young 2nd line center, although a ufa next year, he is a valuable asset
Top 4 potential twoway Dman
2 1st's to package with th 11th overall to jump into the top 5 (or am I way off here?)
cap space and real money savings.

Pro's for Tor

A 1st line center
We get to keep all of our garbage.
Easier to sign/trade for a 2nd line center, I'm think Laich could be targeted.

Maybe I need to be more objective

Old
06-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
The only center rumoured to be available that I would tarde Grabs for is Stastny.

Grabs
Gunnar
Philly 1st
Boston 1st

for

Stastny

Pro's for Col

legitimate young 2nd line center, although a ufa next year, he is a valuable asset
2 1st's to package with th 11th overall to jump into the top 5 (or am I way off here?)

Pro's for Tor

A 1st line center

I really like it, but I doubt Colorado fans would.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:32 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
because he has the vision to quarterback the powerplay. I've seen it in the AHL making superb passes breaking down the box. I feel with ice-time and quality powerplay time he can put 40+ points up on the 3rd line. He needs to center the 2nd line the following year if we lose Grabo, so we have to give the opportunity to produce with good players. We're still a rebuilding team here.
I realize the scouting reports tell us he's got "vision"; "creative playmaking abilities"; "great scoring instincts"; "offensive flair" etc etc. But we haven't seen any of it at the NHL level. We've seen it at the AHL level (~PPG while on the Marlies). But nothing like it in the NHL.

The difference between his play in the NHL and AHL has been like day and night. In the AHL, he's reminding us of these traits the scouting reports say he's got. But in the NHL he's basically invisible. This is expected; he's a young player trying to find his niche.

Just because you've seen him quaterback a PP in the AHL doesn't mean he's ready to centre our 1st PP unit (especially when he can't stay in our top-6 even strength). There is a large difference between an AHL PK and an NHL PK.

Like you said, we are a rebuilding team. We've got young players. Lets keep them in roles more suited to their current abilities.

Starting out on the 2nd unit would be best for Kadri. He'd still be with skilled players (Lupul/Kulie, Mac, Gunnar) and he could learn the PP systems employed by the coaching staff. (Hell, he's struggled with the 5-on-5 systems). He's nowhere near ready to take our PP on his shoulders...

Old
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Yes! What he said:

This yes this.

Quote:

Grabs
Gunnar
Philly 1st
Boston 1st

for

Stastny

Pro's for Col

Pro's for Tor

A 1st line center

Old
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
This yes this.
hmmm I wonder why this hasn't happened yet....

Old
06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
I really like it, but I doubt Colorado fans would.
I think I have seen two trades ever on these boards that both teams' fans like.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
hmmm I wonder why this hasn't happened yet....
Well of course this deal would happen on draft day.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
I realize the scouting reports tell us he's got "vision"; "creative playmaking abilities"; "great scoring instincts"; "offensive flair" etc etc. But we haven't seen any of it at the NHL level. We've seen it at the AHL level (~PPG while on the Marlies). But nothing like it in the NHL.

The difference between his play in the NHL and AHL has been like day and night. In the AHL, he's reminding us of these traits the scouting reports say he's got. But in the NHL he's basically invisible. This is expected; he's a young player trying to find his niche.

Just because you've seen him quaterback a PP in the AHL doesn't mean he's ready to centre our 1st PP unit (especially when he can't stay in our top-6 even strength). There is a large difference between an AHL PK and an NHL PK.

Like you said, we are a rebuilding team. We've got young players. Lets keep them in roles more suited to their current abilities.

Starting out on the 2nd unit would be best for Kadri. He'd still be with skilled players (Lupul/Kulie, Mac, Gunnar) and he could learn the PP systems employed by the coaching staff. (Hell, he's struggled with the 5-on-5 systems). He's nowhere near ready to take our PP on his shoulders...
Kadri really started to turn it on towards the end of the season. He's still a kid trying to find his game in the NHL and will need a couple seasons to adapt. The AHL numbers he put up were great for a rookie but like you said he's a day/night player. Personally I think it would be better for his development to play on the Marlies in a scoring role then on the Leafs third line. He has all the skill in the word he just has to get stronger and utilize it on a consistent basis.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:

Well we're know how he performs in training camp to see if he's ready or not. I think he'll be ready this time around. I don't think it's out of the realm to see Kadri have a Couture kind of performance, maybe not as dominant but good none the less. Pavelski shifts between the 2nd and 3rd line but plays on the top PP, so they can maneuver and it's not as he's playing with scrubs as Bozak and Armstrong are quality players opposed to Boyce and Crabb.

Old
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
This yes this.
I thought you might like it. But of course Stastny is a 1st line center, and this is hockey's future. So without a stud prospect going back, its a no go. I think Col would consider this deal if they were able to deal the 11th, boston's and Philly's 1st for a top 5 pick (Stud prospect)

Old
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Well of course this deal would happen on draft day.
not really what I was getting at...

Old
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
not really what I was getting at...
I was being a bit facetious.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:

Grabs
Gunnar
Philly 1st
Boston 1st

for

Stastny

Pro's for Col

Pro's for Tor

A 1st line center

Id hate to trade Grabovski, but it honestly works for both teams. For Colorado, they get a 60 point 2nd line center which would allow Duchene to play 1st line minutes. It would give Colorado a young, reliable 2 way defenceman with 35+ point upside. Not to mention another 2 1st rounders. (I think the 11th and 25th could get them in the top 5).

For us, we get a number 1 center in Statsny which will be great for Kessel. It also opens up space on the 2nd line for either a Kadri or Colborne to step in and thrive. Since that spot is opened up it also opens a spot on the 3rd line (where Kadri would be) for Frattin/Caputi/D'Amigo/Hanson etc.

I really rather wouldnt trade Grabovski because the guy is all heart and players like him take you deep into the playoffs. But honestly the value isnt off. I wouldnt hesitate to tell you to take this to the main boards (If you have the balls) But good thinking!

Old
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Well we're know how he performs in training camp to see if he's ready or not. I think he'll be ready this time around. I don't think it's out of the realm to see Kadri have a Couture kind of performance, maybe not as dominant but good none the less. Pavelski shifts between the 2nd and 3rd line but plays on the top PP, so they can maneuver and it's not as he's playing with scrubs as Bozak and Armstrong are quality players opposed to Boyce and Crabb.
Pavelski is highly under-rated on this board. This is kid is the total package both offensively and defensively. The only real knock against him is his size/physicality, he would immediately become the Leafs best center. Just because he plays with stars does not mean his numbers are inflated. Pavelski plays a north/south brand of hockey that would allow Kessel to fully concentrate on his offensive game. He's in a totally different league than both Bozak and Armstrong in terms of being an all around player. Not to mention the kid is only 26 years old and has been a solid NHL'er for 5 seasons now.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
Pavelski is highly under-rated on this board. This is kid is the total package both offensively and defensively. The only real knock against him is his size/physicality, he would immediately become the Leafs best center. Just because he plays with stars does not mean his numbers are inflated. Pavelski plays a north/south brand of hockey that would allow Kessel to fully concentrate on his offensive game. He's in a totally different league than both Bozak and Armstrong in terms of being an all around player. Not to mention the kid is only 26 years old and has been a solid NHL'er for 5 seasons now.
I know Pavelski underrated, all I'm saying is that even though he plays 3rd line centre, he plays the point on the PP due to his skill and pointing out how Kadri can do the same. Besides he turns 27 in the summer and it's the first season he's broken out of 60+ points. I think someone like Grabs can break the 60 point barrier assuming we can get a #1 center.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Id hate to trade Grabovski, but it honestly works for both teams. For Colorado, they get a 60 point 2nd line center which would allow Duchene to play 1st line minutes. It would give Colorado a young, reliable 2 way defenceman with 35+ point upside. Not to mention another 2 1st rounders. (I think the 11th and 25th could get them in the top 5).

For us, we get a number 1 center in Statsny which will be great for Kessel. It also opens up space on the 2nd line for either a Kadri or Colborne to step in and thrive. Since that spot is opened up it also opens a spot on the 3rd line (where Kadri would be) for Frattin/Caputi/D'Amigo/Hanson etc.

I really rather wouldnt trade Grabovski because the guy is all heart and players like him take you deep into the playoffs. But honestly the value isnt off. I wouldnt hesitate to tell you to take this to the main boards (If you have the balls) But good thinking!
Thanks, but I try to not post on there, I would only get infracted. But have at er.

Took it to the Col board, already a Leaf fan trying to get Stastny. Looks like they are only interested in Schenn.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
I know Pavelski underrated, all I'm saying is that even though he plays 3rd line centre, he plays the point on the PP due to his skill and pointing out how Kadri can do the same. Besides he turns 27 in the summer and it's the first season he's broken out of 60+ points. I think someone like Grabs can break the 60 point barrier assuming we can get a #1 center.
Kadri just isn't suited to play the point at this current time. He could be used as a forwad instead to generate offense instead of being forced into the role of a powerplay QB. Kadri has great vision but problems could occur due to his tedency to hold onto the puck and lack-luster shot. The Leafs are better off going for a defensman who is already used to playing this role. The AHL/NHL are two different levels.. Pavelski is also great defensively (if there is a turn over) while Kadri is inconsistent to play this role. Once Kadri develops more as a player it could happen but thats 2/3 seasons down the line. Also SJ has the ability to do this because of the great deal of depth they possess at forward, Toronto isn't as fortunate currently.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
Kadri just isn't suited to play the point at this current time. He could be used as a forwad instead to generate offense instead of being forced into the role of a powerplay QB. Kadri has great vision but problems could occur due to his tedency to hold onto the puck and lack-luster shot. The Leafs are better off going for a defensman who is already used to playing this role. The AHL/NHL are two different levels.. Pavelski is also great defensively (if there is a turn over) while Kadri is inconsistent to play this role. Once Kadri develops more as a player it could happen but thats 2/3 seasons down the line. Also SJ has the ability to do this because of the great deal of depth they possess at forward, Toronto isn't as fortunate currently.
who said about Kadri playing the point? I was talking about Richards playing the point and Kadri cementing the 1st line center powerplay unit.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
who said about Kadri playing the point? I was talking about Richards playing the point and Kadri cementing the 1st line center powerplay unit.
Kadri will be much better for the PP then Grabs, in a year or 2.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Pavelski is playing 3rd line C for a completely different reason than Kadri would be.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Pavelski is playing 3rd line C for a completely different reason than Kadri would be.
Again, Bozak will be centering the 3rd line C, not Kadri. It'll be Bozak's job to lead defensively while chipping in offensively. He simply provides secondary offence, but he has to be reliable defensively.

Closed Thread