HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Official UFA/RFA and Trade Thread - Pre-Free Agency Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
who said about Kadri playing the point? I was talking about Richards playing the point and Kadri cementing the 1st line center powerplay unit.
You used poor wording then. When you say a player is "quarter-backing" the power play it means their playing on the point. Kadri doesn't seem suited to play center at the NHL level. His game looked much more comfortable and confident on the wing. HUH! Read what your writing too..

Quote:
I know Pavelski underrated, all I'm saying is that even though he plays 3rd line centre, he plays the point on the PP due to his skill and pointing out how Kadri can do the same.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Again, Bozak will be centering the 3rd line C, not Kadri. It'll be Bozak's job to lead defensively while chipping in offensively. He simply provides secondary offence, but he has to be reliable defensively.
Kadri will most likely be in the minors to start the season. He won't likely crack our top 6 this season unless there is a trade involving MacArthur or a significant injury during the season

Old
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
You used poor wording then. When you say a player is "quarter-backing" the power play it means their playing on the point. Kadri doesn't seem suited to play center at the NHL level. His game looked much more comfortable and confident on the wing. HUH! Read what your writing too..
I used Burke's words as "quarterbacking" the powerplay as the main guy running the powerplay. If then quarterback is the wrong word. I would think playing center 5-5 and on the PP would be different.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Kadri will most likely be in the minors to start the season. He won't likely crack our top 6 this season unless there is a trade involving MacArthur or a significant injury during the season
Well, I'm pretty confident that Kadri will start with us but depends on what Burke does with FA signings, I guess.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty confident that Kadri will start with us but depends on what Burke does with FA signings, I guess.
Unless he has a great training camp I think it's unlikely. I think Frattin has a better chance at taking a spot on our third line LW rather than Kadri. Unless Burke decides to sign a player like Scottie Upshall, we don't need to rush Kadri. Let him tear up the AHL, develop his offensive/defensive game further then put him into a scoring role on the Leafs. I think hes a very good prospect but his game is too raw at the moment for the NHL. Keeping him in the AHL for another will absolutely do no harm in his development as a player with Dallas Eakins as his coach

Old
06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Unless he has a great training camp I think it's unlikely. I think Frattin has a better chance at taking a spot on our third line LW rather than Kadri. Unless Burke decides to sign a player like Scottie Upshall, we don't need to rush Kadri. Let him tear up the AHL, develop his offensive/defensive game further then put him into a scoring role on the Leafs. I think hes a very good prospect but his game is too raw at the moment for the NHL. Keeping him in the AHL for another will absolutely do no harm in his development as a player with Dallas Eakins as his coach
Not this again...

Old
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
Not this again...
Oh yes I did.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
Not this again...
Getzlaf and Perry started on the 4th line and moved up when they earned it. I don't see why Kadri can't. Kadri has dominated the AHL, there's nothing for him to prove there considering how mediocre and awful the forwards down there are. If he does well, someone from the top 6 (kuli, mac?) moves down, then it's a good problem to have. I don't want to be stuck with the lineup where we had last season when Brent and Sjostrom was on our 3rd line because we needed "a checking line" and we couldn't score any goals because of the pressure of Mac, Kuli, Grabs and Kessel had.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Getzlaf and Perry started on the 4th line and moved up when they earned it. I don't see why Kadri can't. Kadri has dominated the AHL, there's nothing for him to prove there considering how mediocre and awful the forwards down there are. If he does well, someone from the top 6 (kuli, mac?) moves down, then it's a good problem to have.
This isn't true at all. Do your research first without throwing out invalid facts. EDIT: Also Toronto/Anaheim are in totally different situations

Old
06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
This isn't true at all. Do your research first without throwing out invalid facts. EDIT: Also Toronto/Anaheim are in totally different situations
how about you do your research. I heard that from the big man "Burke" himself. How is Anaheim and Toronto different. Both teams missed the playoffs the years before, Burke gets hired, starts to retool the club, Anaheim struggles for the 1st half until turning around the 2nd half and does it through the playoffs. Getzlaf and Perry were talented kids on a team that struggled to score. Ducks went into 2006-2007 with Perry (44 points)-Getzlaf (58 points)-Penner (45 points (29 goals-rookie)) as their 2nd line the following season. Both teams were banking on internal improvements.

Old
06-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
how about you do your research. I heard that from the big man "Burke" himself. How is Anaheim and Toronto different. Both teams missed the playoffs the years before, Burke gets hired, starts to retool the club, Anaheim struggles for the 1st half until turning around the 2nd half and does it through the playoffs. Getzlaf and Perry were talented kids on a team that struggled to score. Ducks went into 2006-2007 with Perry (44 points)-Getzlaf (58 points)-Penner (45 points (29 goals-rookie)) as their 2nd line the following season. Both teams were banking on internal improvements.
So you and Burkie talked over morning brunch?

Your slightly confused.. Getzlaf/Perry broke into the NHL playing on the 3rd line after failing to remain consistent both were sent to the AHL during the season. The only time they ever played on the 4th line was if they got benched like any rookie coming in. Burke is known to send his players to the minors to get top minutes on the farm team (see Bobby Ryan). Getzlaf/Perry both made appearances in the playoffs as rookies in the NHL (2005-2006 season). The following season they would go on to win the Stanley Cup. Your clearly confused as neither Perry/Getzlaf "started" on the 4th line. Getzlaf in his first season made it up from the 3rd-2nd line while Perry used in a more physical role. Perry/Getzlaf are also PWF with size vs. Kadri who is weaker/smaller.

Anaheim "re-tooled" you got that right.. but at the same time had a much stronger supporting cast then Toronto does now with S. Niedermayer, Selanne, McDonald, Marchant, Pahlsson, Beauchemin, Lupul and JS Giguere. Toronto currently does not have an elite #1 defenseman, top tier elite winger (kessel has potential though), #1 center, or a great tandem of shut down players. Therefore you cannot compare Toronto to Anahiem in any relativity. In terms of NHL ready Getzlaf/Perry were miles ahead of Kadri. If you want to make a decent comparision of transition to the NHL you can compare Ryan to Kadri.

My point is that Kadri should be utilized when he's ready to produce at the NHL level. Currently he's not strong enough but has a ton of raw potential, so the obviousl school of thought is to let him tear up the minors then make the jump to the NHL. He could of have strong camp and steal a spot from MacArthur/Lupul we don't know. To play Kadri on 4th line would be pointless when he could be in the same role on the Marlies that Kessel is on for the Leafs.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

So I proposed this on the trade board in an Isles thread

Mac
Gunnar
BOS 1st

for

5th Overall (Isles)

Apparently Snow has made it known the 5th is available for young talent whom will help now (to make the playoffs), yet still remains controllable for some time.

What do you think?

Old
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
So I proposed this on the trade board in an Isles thread

Mac
Gunnar
BOS 1st

for

5th Overall (Isles)

Apparently Snow has made it known the 5th is available for young talent whom will help now (to make the playoffs), yet still remains controllable for some time.

What do you think?
I think the Isles promptly reject that.

I understand wanting to move pieces that are expendable for a top 5 pick, but the Isles will most likely require in impact player in return, I don't think they will want a few middling assets.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post

I understand wanting to move pieces that are expendable for a top 5 pick, but the Isles will most likely require in impact player in return, I don't think they will want a few middling assets.
This.

The Isles trading the pick doesn't mean they're looking for scraps, they'll be looking for a package involving:

Schenn OR
Kadri+ OR
Colborne ++ OR
Gardiner + OR
Kulemin+

Old
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
This.

The Isles trading the pick doesn't mean they're looking for scraps, they'll be looking for a package involving:

Schenn OR
Kadri+ OR
Colborne ++ OR
Gardiner + OR
Kulemin+
Exactly, those are the types of guys they would be after.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Exactly, those are the types of guys they would be after.
And Phaneuf

Old
06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
And Phaneuf
Ehhh... I don't think Phaneuf has necessarily retrieved his value back.

Maybe, but a lot of additional pieces would need to be added.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Ehhh... I don't think Phaneuf has necessarily retrieved his value back.

Maybe, but a lot of additional pieces would need to be added.
That might be true, but I certainly wouldn't move him for that pick.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

Ya, but no GM is going to trade a young stud for 5th overall. Its a rumour apparently from a reliable source (that the Isles are dangling the pick) but I find it unrealistic for that reason.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Ya, but no GM is going to trade a young stud for 5th overall. Its a rumour apparently from a reliable source (that the Isles are dangling the pick) but I find it unrealistic for that reason.
You gotta give to get. I just don't see the Isles moving the pick unless a significant piece is coming back that will help accelerate their rebuild.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
You gotta give to get. I just don't see the Isles moving the pick unless a significant piece is coming back that will help accelerate their rebuild.
A 60 pt RFA winger, Gunnarson, and a late 1st dont accelerate the rebuild?

Their is one player with legit star potential int he whole league who might be available for 5th overall: Bogosian. Thats it. If the rumours has some legs, its going to be a trade similar to what I posted.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

If the Isles are trading that pick, they aren't looking for Kadri or Colborne. They'd be looking for immediate impact help.

Old
Leafssss

Quote:
A 60 pt RFA winger, Gunnarson, and a late 1st dont accelerate the rebuild?

Their is one player with legit star potential int he whole league who might be available for 5th overall: Bogosian. Thats it. If the rumours has some legs, its going to be a trade similar to what I posted.
A 60 point RFA who hasn't proven he can keep up such pace, Gunnarsson who is a great young d-men but probably won't be more then a #4 and a late first in a draft that is said to only have elite/1st line potential in the first 8-10 picks.

Old
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
If the Isles are trading that pick, they aren't looking for Kadri or Colborne. They'd be looking for immediate impact help.
Kadri can start playing immediately. Colborne will need probably another half year to year in the AHL.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
So you and Burkie talked over morning brunch?

Your slightly confused.. Getzlaf/Perry broke into the NHL playing on the 3rd line after failing to remain consistent both were sent to the AHL during the season. The only time they ever played on the 4th line was if they got benched like any rookie coming in. Burke is known to send his players to the minors to get top minutes on the farm team (see Bobby Ryan). Getzlaf/Perry both made appearances in the playoffs as rookies in the NHL (2005-2006 season). The following season they would go on to win the Stanley Cup. Your clearly confused as neither Perry/Getzlaf "started" on the 4th line. Getzlaf in his first season made it up from the 3rd-2nd line while Perry used in a more physical role. Perry/Getzlaf are also PWF with size vs. Kadri who is weaker/smaller.

Anaheim "re-tooled" you got that right.. but at the same time had a much stronger supporting cast then Toronto does now with S. Niedermayer, Selanne, McDonald, Marchant, Pahlsson, Beauchemin, Lupul and JS Giguere. Toronto currently does not have an elite #1 defenseman, top tier elite winger (kessel has potential though), #1 center, or a great tandem of shut down players. Therefore you cannot compare Toronto to Anahiem in any relativity. In terms of NHL ready Getzlaf/Perry were miles ahead of Kadri. If you want to make a decent comparision of transition to the NHL you can compare Ryan to Kadri.

My point is that Kadri should be utilized when he's ready to produce at the NHL level. Currently he's not strong enough but has a ton of raw potential, so the obviousl school of thought is to let him tear up the minors then make the jump to the NHL. He could of have strong camp and steal a spot from MacArthur/Lupul we don't know. To play Kadri on 4th line would be pointless when he could be in the same role on the Marlies that Kessel is on for the Leafs.
This is what i asked the anahiem board.

I'm not here to give a bad trade proposal here. promise. I'm having an argument with a Leaf fan that it's better for Kadri to play in the AHL if he's not in the top 6 while I think he should start with us on the 3rd line considering how useless it was this year. If he plays well, someone else moves down.

I want to know if Perry and Getzlaf started on the 4th line and moved up as the season went along. Did you think Perry would turn out this good?

And can Lupul be a first line forward depending on his linemates. I know he can't carry a line but does he still have 1st line potential. I thought he was about to break out in 2007/2008 but injuries and defensive play does have its concern.

Thanks.

This is the Anaheim board response.

Perry and Getzlaf played on the 4th line, mostly with Todd Fedoruk, in their first year (05/06). Both saw time in the AHL that year as well, which was a very good thing for them.

The year after (cup year) they played on the 2nd line. However, there were so many great vets on that team that the pressure on them still wasn't that high, not to mention that it's Anaheim. I think the pressure on Kadri would be much higher in a hockey town like Toronto whose top six lacks experience.

As for Lupul, no I don't think he's ever going to be what you call a "true first liner". He could probably work out as a 2nd line player playing on the top line, kind of like Chris Kunitz although they don't play the same kind of game. Lupul has a cannon of a shot and understands the offensive game well. Put him with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington and he'd probably put up a fair amount of points.

McDonald was a college free signing that nobody knew would break out like that. Coincidently he hasn't returned that dominance since Selanne wasn't there. Getzlaf wasn't a no.1 centre when they won the cup and McDonald was not a legit top line center. Chris Kunitz is not a top line winger either and now he's just a 50 point forward. He wasn't a sure thing. Selanne was a gamble, that worked well for them kind of like Macarthur. Beauchimen was a throw in, in the Ferderov deal, gamble worked. Call Aulie the same. Marchant was a waiver pickup and Pahlsson, Anaheim fans were wondering whether he should be in the lineup or not. I don't call any of that great supporting pieces that were intentionally left for Burke to build a championship team.

Closed Thread