HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official UFA/RFA and Trade Thread - Pre-Free Agency Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 10:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I think Burke should be looking for RFA's that might be asking too for too much from their organizations. The perfect guy that I see is M. Boedker. The guy had such great chemistry with Kadri in junior, and plays right wing. Phoenix might not have the patience for him to develop properly, and could be looking for warm bodies to help them make the playoffs.

How about:

To Phoenix:
Rights to MacArthur
39th overall pick

To Toronto:
Rights to Boedker
20th overall pick

Fair or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML1988 View Post
So Toronto gives up a 2nd and a one-hit wonder (for now) for a 21 year old future top 6er and a top 20 pick? No, not fair.

Would have to at least include a top prospect to begin entering the realm of fair.
To answer the original question, I'd say not fair.

Coyotes are about 18+ million under the floor with 15 players signed and quite a few RFA's coming off their ELS without great seasons to get a large increase.

Would you offersheet any of their RFA's with a 2.5-3.0 offer? 2nd. round pick.

Leafs don't have their 3rd. rounder for next year, so there aren't many offersheets they can make.

Would you offer the Coyotes both 1st. rounders for Turris hoping he is on the verge of breaking out and not on the verge of busting?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Meehan is a very good agent and I can see trouble on the horizon with signing MacArthur if Meehan is holding out for a lucrutive payout. Can't blame him for this, but with Burke it may test his patience and he will deal MacAthur before being held hostage. What we do know is at the trade deadline last year, Dreger reported there was significant interest in Mac. Offseason gets more interesting by the min.
I could see MacArthur signing a Kulemin deal.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I could see MacArthur signing a Kulemin deal.
He may, all reports indicate he really wants to stay here, he may take a discount. If so I certainly would never object to a player that you don't have to twist their arm on remaining a Leaf.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
To answer the original question, I'd say not fair.

Coyotes are about 18+ million under the floor with 15 players signed and quite a few RFA's coming off their ELS without great seasons to get a large increase.

Would you offersheet any of their RFA's with a 2.5-3.0 offer? 2nd. round pick.

Leafs don't have their 3rd. rounder for next year, so there aren't many offersheets they can make.

Would you offer the Coyotes both 1st. rounders for Turris hoping he is on the verge of breaking out and not on the verge of busting?
I'd glady give up a 2nd to offer sheet Turris, and I hope Burke is thinking the same thing.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
I'd glady give up a 2nd to offer sheet Turris, and I hope Burke is thinking the same thing.
Turris is someone that I completely forgot about. It'd be nice to see an offer sheet go his way, especially if it only costs a 2nd rounder next year (seeing as we have 2 of them).

Old
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
capfit9

Greene

What do you guys think of Andy Greene as a PMD for next season. He is young (28) and is about to hit his prime, i don't think he can be a powerplay quaterback but i believe it might be a better option for us instead of trading for someone like JM Liles, who will likely take up a lot more cap space and obviously assets. I think he can be a good value/underrated signing.
What do you think a Andy Greene is worth on the open market ???

Old
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfit9 View Post
What do you guys think of Andy Greene as a PMD for next season. He is young (28) and is about to hit his prime, i don't think he can be a powerplay quaterback but i believe it might be a better option for us instead of trading for someone like JM Liles, who will likely take up a lot more cap space and obviously assets. I think he can be a good value/underrated signing.
overrated. New Jersey didn't have much puck moving guys so they tried him out there. Somebody had to play on the #1 unit. I think Anton Babchuk would be an underrated signing. He just turned 27 too.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfit9 View Post
I see why it makes sense, you could try him out for a year until Gardiner might be ready for NHL duty but I would like to see Toronto take a run at Pitkanen or Erhoff or even Brewer if were to be available (I know he isn't a PMD but he is a rock).

I like our kids but would like them to be surrounded by a few choice vets.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
LaPlante94

Would anybody care if Burke signed an older guy in his mid 30's for like a 1 or 2 year deal? Sometimes young guys can get cocky at times and might need a vet who's been in the league for a long time to step in and talk to these young guys and tell them how to succeed in this league. It's to bad Roberts is retired because he'd be perfect. Also I might get ripped for this because idk if people on here dislike him or just hated his contract but what about McCabe back to pair with Schenn? I know he had that 1 bad season for us because of injuries and all that but he's not as bad as a lot of Leafs fans say he is. Good leader and could really help Schenn out a bit. But only if it was for a reasonable price like 2.5-3 million maybe? What do you guys think and how much would you offer him?

Old
06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlante94 View Post
Would anybody care if Burke signed an older guy in his mid 30's for like a 1 or 2 year deal? Sometimes young guys can get cocky at times and might need a vet who's been in the league for a long time to step in and talk to these young guys and tell them how to succeed in this league. It's to bad Roberts is retired because he'd be perfect. Also I might get ripped for this because idk if people on here dislike him or just hated his contract but what about McCabe back to pair with Schenn? I know he had that 1 bad season for us because of injuries and all that but he's not as bad as a lot of Leafs fans say he is. Good leader and could really help Schenn out a bit. But only if it was for a reasonable price like 2.5-3 million maybe? What do you guys think and how much would you offer him?
The Leafs did better without the vet guys (kabs, beauch) so it's not necessary.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:19 PM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
The Leafs did better without the vet guys (kabs, beauch) so it's not necessary.
Yeah but those guys weren't really great vocal leaders off the ice or anything. Kaberle was a good leader on the ice but he was a big reason why our PP was struggling because he's to predictable. Boston is having that same problem now.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Yeah but those guys weren't really great vocal leaders off the ice or anything. Kaberle was a good leader on the ice but he was a big reason why our PP was struggling because he's to predictable. Boston is having that same problem now.
veteran leadership isn't the reason why they're PP is terrible. It's their lack of puck retrieval and ability to set up.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Loosie

I don't see Burke offering anyone an offer sheet. Not after the way he reacted when the Oilers picked of Dustin Penner from him in Anaheim. He was PISSED with that one.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
I don't see Burke offering anyone an offer sheet. Not after the way he reacted when the Oilers picked of Dustin Penner from him in Anaheim. He was PISSED with that one.
Actually the biggest issue Burke had was with the Agent and GM not disclosing to him that Penner had signed an offer sheet.

Offer Sheets are part of the business and Burke understands that. It's a necessary evil. I believe in that situation he was angry that Kevin Lowe didn't give him a heads up about the offer sheet which he believed was common courtesy.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Actually the biggest issue Burke had was with the Agent and GM not disclosing to him that Penner had signed an offer sheet.

Offer Sheets are part of the business and Burke understands that. It's a necessary evil. I believe in that situation he was angry that Kevin Lowe didn't give him a heads up about the offer sheet which he believed was common courtesy.
Also the fact Penner had not come close to do anything to deserve such a contract, and Burke feared the Penner deal would help kill the "bridge" contract.

The 2-3 year contract a player get between ELC and his big payday.

Burke hating offer sheets is a myth.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
Also the fact Penner had not come close to do anything to deserve such a contract, and Burke feared the Penner deal would help kill the "bridge" contract.

He was pretty much right too.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Jackothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post

Burke hating offer sheets is a myth.
You know though if he ever did send out an offer sheet these boards would run rampant with people calling him a hypocrite, and the media would have their way with it.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
If Kaberle was the problem, care to enlighten why it sucked after he was traded?

Old
06-15-2011, 04:09 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOurGame View Post
You know though if he ever did send out an offer sheet these boards would run rampant with people calling him a hypocrite, and the media would have their way with it.
Why would the media be on him? I've heard a few times from Burke what his stance is on offer sheets, through the media.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I think Burke should be looking for RFA's that might be asking too for too much from their organizations. The perfect guy that I see is M. Boedker. The guy had such great chemistry with Kadri in junior, and plays right wing. Phoenix might not have the patience for him to develop properly, and could be looking for warm bodies to help them make the playoffs.

How about:

To Phoenix:
Rights to MacArthur
39th overall pick

To Toronto:
Rights to Boedker
20th overall pick

Fair or not?
To Toronto:
Boedker
20th overall

To Phoenix:
Gustavsson/Scrivens
MacArthur
39th overall
Caputi

To Toronto:
10th Overall

To Minnesota:
20th overall
29th overall
D'Amigo

To Toronto:
6th overall

To Ottawa:
10th overall
25th overall
151st overall

Draft Strome.

Next Season

Lupul-Colborne-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Boedker
Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong

In a couple seasons

Kulemin-Strome-Kessel
Kadri-Colborne-Boedker
Frattin-Ross-Ryan

Insert Olden, McKegg, etc. if they reach their potential.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Thats alot of wheeling and dealing. sign me up, looks for an exciting day.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Jackothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Why would the media be on him? I've heard a few times from Burke what his stance is on offer sheets, through the media.
Why must you make me look dumb?

Old
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOurGame View Post
Why must you make me look dumb?
Don't worry the first part made you look like a genius. We would have to listen to ignorant fans for years.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Well the latter is probably right also, there would be some idiot writing about it, just no one worth listening to.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Was creeping on the Av's board. Some guy had his future fantasy lineup, and one of the guy's in the line up was a 3rd overall pick (Tor 12 1st) which he traded Liles for. Anyone interested?

Closed Thread