HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official UFA/RFA and Trade Thread - Pre-Free Agency Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
tacoburrito

vCash: 500
Also that trade looks terrible, why on earth would the avs want our castoffs and guys that couldn't cut it

Old
05-26-2011, 06:07 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Um, there is something in between being trade fodder and a Norris candidate. Gunnarsson has shown that he can play 20 miinutes a game and be effective which is a level that the guys coming up need a lot of work to get to.
Exactly, so why all the amazement that people think he isn't some untouchable? The only reason he keeps coming up is a) he has real value, that can help bring back a glaring need b) we have some depth at the position coming up, which makes entertaining at least possible

Old
05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

For the people who wouldn't do that deal, LOL. We dump Komi's salary, toss in some mediocre picks, some extra scraps, Gunns and Bozie and receive a #1 center + a top 4 PMD + 11th overall + late pick

Old
05-26-2011, 06:36 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
Any one listen to HockeyCentral @ Noon today? Doug MacLean commented on the whole Richards to Toronto talk.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/hocke...ral-@-Noon.mp3

near the beginning.

- does not buy that Richards does not want to play in T.O, thinks he's open to it.
- thinks Richards wants 8 years and thinks Burke would pay that

MacLean is particularly close with many agents, and especially hockey people from PEI (his home province, as well as Richards) so its rather interesting to hear his comments.

8 years is steep IMO however if it gets him signed I would take it.
I also think its ridiculous Richards wouldnt even consider us. The biggest hurdle will probably be the length.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
deadp0ol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
this is the worst trade iv ever seen.
highway robbery for avs

To Toronto: Paul Stastny John-Michael Liles, 11th overall pick, 153rd overall pick

To Colorado: Nazem Kadri, Jonas Gustavsson, Mike Komisarek, Tyler Bozak, Carl Gunnarsson, Jiraj Mikus, 25th overall pick, 39th overall pick, 86th overall pick

overpayment big time. burke won't trade kadri. i know he just wont
prospects picks, robbery for avs. avs win big
stastny for kadri + gustavsson + bozak
liles for komi+gunnarson
11th for 25th +39th +86th
153rd for mikus

I say we would win all except the mikus one.

GET IT DONE BB

Old
05-26-2011, 06:52 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Any one listen to HockeyCentral @ Noon today? Doug MacLean commented on the whole Richards to Toronto talk.

near the beginning.

- does not buy that Richards does not want to play in T.O, thinks he's open to it.

MacLean is particularly close with many agents, and especially hockey people from PEI (his home province, as well as Richards) so its rather interesting to hear his comments.

I usually disagree with Doug Maclean, but at this point he's very accurate.

I wouldnt go as far as saying Burke would pay Richards for 8 years, but I can see Burke taking a serious run at Richards.

I heard that Richards is actually willing to play in Toronto, and that the reports about him not wanting to were completely fabricated. Now to say he'll choose New York over Toronto is a different story.

Its going to be interesting tho!

Old
05-26-2011, 06:58 PM
calcal798

Quote:

near the beginning.

You think Richards would sign a front loaded 8 year? 8+8+8+6+4.5+4.5+4+4. (Ave. about 5.88 Mil per year, we just need to get rid of Komi somehow for cap purposes )

Last edited by calcal798: 05-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old
05-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
You think Richards would sign a front loaded 8 year? 8+8+8+6+4.5+4.5+4+4. (Ave. about 5.88 Mil per year, we just need to get rid of Komi somehow for cap purposes )
Richards would probably require at least 6.5 - 7.5 m average, even over an 8 year term. Maybe more.

Old
05-26-2011, 07:32 PM
GE0

Quote:

near the beginning.

#1. Thanks for the link

#2. Maclean
  • He later reveals that the person he was talking to about Richards was Richards' agent. (Nice going as usual, MacLean.)
  • He initially stated (outright) that Richards will be signing an 8-year deal. Later in the conversation he quickly said a 7-year or 8-year deal.
  • Also he doesn't buy that Richards isn't open to coming to Toronto, although he hasn't asked him personally yet.
Interesting.

#3. Richards

I not only think he's willing to come to Toronto, I think there's a very good chance Toronto could be his second likeliest destination.

But the Rangers look like his likeliest destination. We'll see if the Leafs can convince him otherwise and what it would require.

I'd sign him to an 8-year deal if he and his agent come down some in terms of cash (and cash per year).

#4. Contract Comparison

Let's take a look at Marian Hossa:
  • UFA Marian Hossa signed a 12-year $63.3M contract with the Chicago Blackhawks in the summer of 2009. Like Richards, Hossa is an excellent player, a very productive player, he can proficiently score, he can help make his teammates better, he has excellent playing and practice habits, he's a excellent veteran for young players to learn from. The up-and-coming Blackhawks signed him and he helped them win the Stanley Cup.
  • Subtract the last four cap-circumventing years ($1M per) of the Hossa contract = 8-year $59.3M ($7.4125M avg).
  • That 8-year contract takes Hossa through the age of 38. An 8-year contract for Richards taken him through the age of 38.
Would you do 8 years x $7.4125M for Richards?

I'd probably do it. Even better if Richards is willing to take a little less.

Old
05-26-2011, 07:50 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
#1. Thanks for the link

#2. Maclean
  • He later reveals that the person he was talking to about Richards was Richards' agent. (Nice going as usual, MacLean.)
  • He initially stated (outright) that Richards will be signing an 8-year deal. Later in the conversation he quickly said a 7-year or 8-year deal.
  • Also he doesn't buy that Richards isn't open to coming to Toronto, although he hasn't asked him personally yet.
Interesting.

#3. Richards

I not only think he's willing to come to Toronto, I think there's a very good chance Toronto could be his second likeliest destination.

But the Rangers look like his likeliest destination. We'll see if the Leafs can convince him otherwise and what it would require.

I'd sign him to an 8-year deal if he and his agent come down some in terms of cash (and cash per year).

#4. Contract Comparison

Let's take a look at Marian Hossa:
  • UFA Marian Hossa signed a 12-year $63.3M contract with the Chicago Blackhawks in the summer of 2009. Like Richards, Hossa is an excellent player, a very productive player, he can proficiently score, he can help make his teammates better, he has excellent playing and practice habits, he's a excellent veteran for young players to learn from. The up-and-coming Blackhawks signed him and he helped them win the Stanley Cup.
  • Subtract the last four cap-circumventing years ($1M per) of the Hossa contract = 8-year $59.3M ($7.4125M avg).
  • That 8-year contract takes Hossa through the age of 38. An 8-year contract for Richards taken him through the age of 38.
Would you do 8 years x $7.4125M for Richards?

I'd probably do it. Even better if Richards is willing to take a little less.
Yes I would give it, but for an 8 year deal, I'd hope to get him closer to $6 000 000. Give him $8 the first few years and gradually decline from there, with an average closer to $6 000 000.

8+8+8+6+6+4+4+4?

Old
05-26-2011, 08:00 PM
GE0

Yeah, I was hoping/thinking 8 years x $6.25M ($50M total) as the ideal. But it seems unlikely Richards would take that much of a pay-cut even for the extended term. Hossa badly wanted to win his first cup but still took market value, younger but injury-prone Gaborik got 7.5M per for 5 years. And you typically overpay in free agency by a bit.

I would match the Hossa number as stated earlier. The Blackhawks paid that price for an excellent forward in Hossa and I would do the same for Richards, particularly as Richards (experienced lefty playmaker) seems like an ideal fit with Kessel. That could be a premium worth paying.

Of course Hossa is a much better defender than Richards, he's one of the best two-way forwards in the game, but I think you can balance the value for the most part with Richards playing the center position.

Last edited by GE0: 05-26-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old
05-26-2011, 08:34 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
Remove Kadri and you got a deal

agreed. i dont wanna lose kadri

Old
05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

u guys are acting like kadri is a waist. this kid will be a star. i believe burke will say no to a deal which involves kadri. i do the deal if we take off kadri. ill add holzer if they want to. im getting criticised so much. wow guess we leaf fans can be like habs fans too eh.

i didn't propose the deal. i heard it. i found it. horrible deal in my opinion. expecially one that involves losing a star

Old
05-26-2011, 09:03 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

If Richards did end up signing with TOR, I would love it for him to tell the media at his press conference that Steve Simmons is full of sheisse.

Anyway, I believe we are definitely a front runner for him. I also think Burke won't let anything like term or cap hit interfere with us getting him (within reason).

Wherever he signs, I would expect to see Richards signed to a deal something like this: 9+8+8+8+7+6+5+4 = 6.875M cap hit, with the obvious NMC. Gets him some big bucks at the start, then averages out well. Also gives him the stability we hear he wants.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:12 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Richards would probably require at least 6.5 - 7.5 m average, even over an 8 year term. Maybe more.
I'd say 6.5 Max over 8 years. Any higher and its going to cause to much at the end of it.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Thanks guys, I;ll add the others soon. Leaffan80, i tried but for some reason i can't do it it's a bit annoying.

it should a limited NTC or NMC or whatever if richards do sign here.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
ricciuto99

Philly has options....

I think we're talking about the wrong Richards here. Philly are looking for a number one goalie and it appears they will be going after bryzgalov. If this is the case i would love to see the leafs go after either Mike Richards or Jeff Carter, to allow the flyers to make room for bryzgalov.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

The trade is a complete fabrication of someones imagination.

If it was true BB would drive those players to Denver himself.

As for Richards imo he will be a Ranger but i think BB will be there to the end but i could see term being the problem. Torts being the coach will also add weight to Richards swaying to the Blue shirts.

i think Burkie will max out at 5 years $8M cap hit per. Sather is probably more willing to give him the 8 years at 6.5-7 M per. AND who knows about Dallas who is a wild card based on ownership.

Old
05-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
u guys are acting like kadri is a waist. this kid will be a star. i believe burke will say no to a deal which involves kadri. i do the deal if we take off kadri. ill add holzer if they want to. im getting criticised so much. wow guess we leaf fans can be like habs fans too eh.

i didn't propose the deal. i heard it. i found it. horrible deal in my opinion. expecially one that involves losing a star
Sorry, couldn't resist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Thanks guys, I;ll add the others soon. Leaffan80, i tried but for some reason i can't do it it's a bit annoying.

it should a limited NTC or NMC or whatever if richards do sign here.
Perhaps, you might want to try removing space in "Team Name" and try "TeamName"? just a suggestion, I've never made a table on HF though

Old
05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I'd say 6.5 Max over 8 years. Any higher and its going to cause to much at the end of it.
Burke is going to be bidding with Sather on this one. Look at what Sather did the last time he went shopping for a center (Drury and Gomez) and Richards exceeds both of them in skill, production, and value.

I see Sather offering 7M+ easily.

Old
05-26-2011, 11:06 PM
nick942

Quote:

I also really like Kadri, and I don't think 70-75 point potential is impossible for him. But considering that in a deal like that, Stastny is more of a guarantee to put up those points if not more, I do it in a heartbeat.
And btw the trade was already lopsided, so taking away Kadri and adding in Holzer really only makes is so much worse.

Old
05-26-2011, 11:13 PM
nick942

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricciuto99 View Post
I think we're talking about the wrong Richards here. Philly are looking for a number one goalie and it appears they will be going after bryzgalov. If this is the case i would love to see the leafs go after either Mike Richards or Jeff Carter, to allow the flyers to make room for bryzgalov.
I imagine Mike Richards is pretty much untouchable for Philly. While, on the other hand Carter is not, I frankly don't want his insanely long contract (considering that he has only had 1 PPG season and otherwise a bunch of seasons where he averaged around 60 points.)
Brad Richards is much better than Carter and would most likely be a better fit with Kessel. Also by signing Richards we don't have to give up a bunch of assets.

Old
05-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricciuto99 View Post
philly would buy out half their team before trading richards

hes their face of the franchise you just dont trade guys like that and the hypothetical price would be astronomical (start with schenn+kadri+1st and keep adding)

Old
05-26-2011, 11:46 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Burke is going to be bidding with Sather on this one. Look at what Sather did the last time he went shopping for a center (Drury and Gomez) and Richards exceeds both of them in skill, production, and value.

I see Sather offering 7M+ easily.
How do you see him fitting it?

Old
05-26-2011, 11:53 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
How do you see him fitting it?
They've got the room