HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
just like I figured.

No matter what we would of done regarding upgrading our goaltending people would *****.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
just like I figured.

No matter what we would of done regarding upgrading our goaltending people would *****.
For the record, I'm not *****ing. I'm just saying "Dangit, that sucked".

Old
07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
No one predicted that Vokoun would sign for that low, but we all knew that Vokoun would sign for significantly less and for less years than Bryz.
It's not just that Vokoun signed for so much less but coupled with the fact that Homer jumped the gun last year with the Leighton signing.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:54 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
No one predicted that Vokoun would sign for that low, but we all knew that Vokoun would sign for significantly less and for less years than Bryz.
That does not mean he would have done that with the Flyers.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's not just that Vokoun signed for so much less but coupled with the fact that Homer jumped the gun last year with the Leighton signing.
I'm surprised that more people don't criticize Homer for his inability to wait out the market. Its been a big flaw of his his whole tenure as a GM.

The fact that he has a habit of trading away assets just to get the rights to soon-to-be free agents shows that he has a real fear of being last person standing with no one left to fill a whole.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
decadentia

Quote:
just like I figured.

If we hadn't of traded our core, and signed Vokoun for 1.5 mil, I don't think you'd hear nearly as much *****ing.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:37 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
If we hadn't of traded our core, and signed Vokoun for 1.5 mil, I don't think you'd hear nearly as much *****ing.
Pretty sure Carter and Richards were gone regardless of what happened.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

nobody could of predicted what happened with Bryzgalov and Vokoun.

What if we rolled the dice and not traded for Bryzgalov's rights and didnt get either Bryzgalov or Vokoun. And we were stuck with what we had last year in goal.
Would of people gone off the ledge?

naaaaaaah

Old
07-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
If Homer waited out the market and missed both people would flip out. Homer gambled and got his man.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:

What if we rolled the dice and not traded for Bryzgalov's rights and didnt get either Bryzgalov or Vokoun. And we were stuck with what we had last year in goal.

naaaaaaah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
If Homer waited out the market and missed both people would flip out. Homer gambled and got his man.
People made this same excuse when some of us *****ed last year about the Leighton signing. You're not going to convince me that if the Flyers had waited, they would have been caught with just their dick in their hand. I don't believe that for one second. Plus, a major difference between this year and last year? Last year we had no legitimate goaltender on the NHL roster, this season we had Bob. Some of us were willing to sign a stop gag and hope Bob developed.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
decadentia

The general consensus i'm getting here to any criticism of this is...

"Why you heff to be mad? ..." and most importantly "What can you do?"

Old
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
So you believe if we waited we would have gotten Vokoun or Bryzgalov for substantially cheaper? For all we know Bryxgalov goes to Florida and gets a nice big contract leaving the market with just Vokoun. Basically, that would make Vpkoun cost significantly more.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Not really. There were only a few teams looking for quality goaltending this summer. Colorado, Tampa Bay, Us and maybe Washington

After the playoffs Roloson was clearly going to be resigned if he decided not to retire, so that takes Tampa Bay out

Washington probably wasn't seriously looking at a big name goalie. They already had 3 guys. Vokoun fell into their lap.

Colorado likely wasn't going to bring in a bigger name either, considering they are still in a rebuilding phase.

It wasn't that hard to see that it was very likely that a goalie would price themselves out.

Quote:

naaaaaaah
After trading Carter and Richards, I don't think not signing anyone would have been a big deal. If anything it would have made more sense and offically signaled we're retooling.

Signing a 31 year old goalie to a 9 year deal after trading away two of your top offensive weapons for futures sends mixed signals about the direction of this team.

Last edited by Coppy: 07-02-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
So you believe if we waited we would have gotten Vokoun or Bryzgalov for substantially cheaper? For all we know Bryxgalov goes to Florida and gets a nice big contract leaving the market with just Vokoun. Basically, that would make Vpkoun cost significantly more.
How is that really any different? Bryz was taken early by us, so the market is the same if Florida takes him. I doubt we'd get Vokoun for that cheap, but we could have probably signed him for much less than Bryz, and for a shorter term so Bob can step in after a few years of development...a plan many advocated to begin with.

Instead, the organization basically said "Hey. Bryz. We want you. We will do whatever it takes, so if you want to ask for a long contract with a high hit, we will pay it." Well played :

07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Two years in a row the goalie market has played out the exact same way. The Flyers are a good team, people want to come here. I highly doubt they lose both. Did you not see how the goalie market played. Nobody got money, except Bryz.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post

After trading Carter and Richards, I don't think not signing anyone would have been a big deal. If anything it would have made more sense and offically signaled we're retooling.

Signing a 31 year old goalie to a 9 year deal after trading away two of your top offensive weapons for futures sends mixed signals about the direction of this team.
The whole thing stinks of overreaction. I guess we'll have to wait and hope everything plays out in a good manner.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Two years in a row the goalie market has played out the exact same way. The Flyers are a good team, people want to come here. I highly doubt they lose both. Did you not see how the goalie market played. Nobody got money, except Bryz.
This is just as much Snider's fault as it is Homer's. If he had just kept his "get a goalie at all cost" comments behind closed doors, we wouldn't have had to give such a long contract to Bryz. There aren't many other owner's in the league who make statements like that to the media and it put them in a hole right off the bat.

Look at the other teams in the league who are in a precarious position with a few players. LA isn't saying much about Doughty, TB is barely saying a word about Stamkos, NJ isn't talking about Parise. But Snider has to yell it to the world that the Flyers WILL fix the goaltending situation come hell or high water.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:43 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The whole thing stinks of overreaction. I guess we'll have to wait and hope everything plays out in a good manner.
It's funny how the fans who walk the company line and blindly follow the team called us who called for certain changes the past year or so overreactors, yet the team gets completely blown up and it's perfectly fine lol.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:44 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
This is just as much Snider's fault as it is Homer's.
I couldn't agree more

Old
07-03-2011, 12:43 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I disagree. Vokoun's contract is the exception to this year's wave of overpayment. Roloson got $3 mil, and Mike Smith for 2 years @ $2 mil per. Theodore got $1.5 mil; is he comparable to Vokoun? Plenty of other goalies not in Vokoun's skill level signed for $1-1.5 mil.

Or what about Washington dealing Varlamov for a 1st in '12 and a 2nd in '13? Bit of an overpayment, no?

Plus, Philadelphia and TBay basically constituted the prime goalie market. I believe that it is unlikely that Vokoun would have signed for that pittance if there was a suitor like Holmgren still looking.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Vokoun signing for 1.5 was a surprise for everyone. No one could have predicted that.
The Capitals did.

The Flyers targeted Bryzgalov and got him, which eliminated a Vokoun bidder. From there, the Capitals perfectly read the market for Vokoun and knocked the Avs off the table with a brilliant trade.

Holmgren had no intention of entering the fray with measured, nickle-and-dime bids for free agent goaltenders. They've done that before with free agent goalies and it's ended in a decade of horror.

The Flyers made a power move for one of the top goaltenders in the league and compensated him well. Vokoun's 1.5 deal was subsequent to that and would not have occurred if the Flyers approached the situation differently.

If the Flyers had an asset in net (like Varlamov), they could've made a similar play for a cheap Vokoun. But the Flyers don't have Varlamov. They have Michael Leighton.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

GMGM looks really damned brilliant right now, and I'm a harsh critic of his.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
GMGM looks really damned brilliant right now, and I'm a harsh critic of his.
I'm not sure it's him being brilliant or Sherman being a ****ing idiot. Trading what's likely to be a top 5 pick and a 31-35 pick in a very good draft for ****ing Semyon Varlamov and then signing him to $2.833 million per year? What the **** is he thinking?

Old
07-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I'm not sure it's him being brilliant or Sherman being a ****ing idiot. Trading what's likely to be a top 5 pick and a 31-35 pick in a very good draft for ****ing Semyon Varlamov and then signing him to $2.833 million per year? What the **** is he thinking?
I think the idea was to trade Varly, but I doubt he expected to get such return.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
I think the idea was to trade Varly, but I doubt he expected to get such return.
Oh yeah, it was pretty obvious that they wanted to go with Holtby and Neuvirth over Varlamov, which is what makes Sherman even more of a dumbass. Then Vokoun fell into their laps.

Closed Thread