HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 01:14 AM
FlyerSithLord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I disagree. Vokoun's contract is the exception to this year's wave of overpayment. Roloson got $3 mil, and Mike Smith for 2 years @ $2 mil per. Theodore got $1.5 mil; is he comparable to Vokoun? Plenty of other goalies not in Vokoun's skill level signed for $1-1.5 mil.

Or what about Washington dealing Varlamov for a 1st in '12 and a 2nd in '13? Bit of an overpayment, no?

Plus, Philadelphia and TBay basically constituted the prime goalie market. I believe that it is unlikely that Vokoun would have signed for that pittance if there was a suitor like Holmgren still looking.
No goalie hasn't gotten any sort of a big contract the last two years. The Flyers might not have gotten Vokoun for 1.5 million, but there's no way he would have gotten the same amount Bryz got.

Goalies aren't getting 4,5,6 million dollars per anymore. The fact that this has held true for two years in a row and yet we still feel the need to jump ahead of everyone days before the market opens is a joke.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:23 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
No goalie hasn't gotten any sort of a big contract the last two years. The Flyers might not have gotten Vokoun for 1.5 million, but there's no way he would have gotten the same amount Bryz got.

Goalies aren't getting 4,5,6 million dollars per anymore. The fact that this has held true for two years in a row and yet we still feel the need to jump ahead of everyone days before the market opens is a joke.
Agreed. I could maybe even understand jumping the gun and locking up a prime goalie before the market opens if we still only had Boucher and Leighton, but we had a 22 y/o goalie who showed some big-time potential and was in the running for rookie of the year till he wore down late in the year.

It's not like we would've had an absolute crap netminder if we waited for free agency and didn't get our man... we still would've had a young, talented guy who posted a .915 save percentage last regular season.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Almost every goalie in NHL makes more than Vokoun now.

If I remember correctly, people were at Homer's throat to sign a goalie just a few short weeks ago. Then, most of the folks here celebrated Bryz signing and were ready to order cheesbryz. And Holmgreen was a genius.

Whatever happened today with Vokoun, could not have been forseen ever. Yes, the story would have been different had Bryz been a UFA. Both his and Vokoun's price would have been very different. There would be no way that Vokoun would stay at $1.5 mil.

He made a mistake overplaying the market, and he is paying dearly for it (70% pay cut). It has no bearing on Flyers now, except for the fact that it became much harder to beat Caps.

Just imagine, how many of you would want to grill Homer's balls had he missed on either of these 2 goalies on the open market.
Lots of people foresaw this. Lots of people were iffy on giving Bryz his contract with Vokoun there.

Don't believe me? Go back and read some of the conversations over the last 6 months.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
The Capitals did.

The Flyers targeted Bryzgalov and got him, which eliminated a Vokoun bidder. From there, the Capitals perfectly read the market for Vokoun and knocked the Avs off the table with a brilliant trade.

Holmgren had no intention of entering the fray with measured, nickle-and-dime bids for free agent goaltenders. They've done that before with free agent goalies and it's ended in a decade of horror.

The Flyers made a power move for one of the top goaltenders in the league and compensated him well. Vokoun's 1.5 deal was subsequent to that and would not have occurred if the Flyers approached the situation differently.

If the Flyers had an asset in net (like Varlamov), they could've made a similar play for a cheap Vokoun. But the Flyers don't have Varlamov. They have Michael Leighton.
Hmm, you are right, if only the Flyers had a young goalie under contract.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Boris RS
1. Avs / 2. Bruins

As Avalanche fan, my condolence to Flyers fans (I talk about goalies*).

*Unfortunately too many Avs fans are behind Varlamov trade .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Two years in a row the goalie market has played out the exact same way. The Flyers are a good team, people want to come here. I highly doubt they lose both. Did you not see how the goalie market played. Nobody got money, except Bryz.
Varlamov will get good money, too.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris RS View Post
As Avalanche fan, my condolence to Flyers fans (I talk about goalies*).

*Unfortunately too many Avs fans are behind Varlamov trade .

Varlamov will get good money, too.
That sequence of deals was horrendous from the Avs perspective.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Boris RS
1. Avs / 2. Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That sequence of deals was horrendous from the Avs perspective.
Actually, in our board majority of people support this .

Your GM rushed with Bryzgalov, and our GM panicked .

---

Sherman: Hello, George?
McPhee: Hey, Greg from accounting! How you doing these days? Congrats on the Hejda signing, that is huge!
Sherman: Thanks George! Yep, really solidifies our backend. Other than the fact that we don't have a goaltender, I guess. I'm sort of trying to keep this line open for Vokoun's agent ... could I call ...
McPhee: Actually, Greg, that's why I called you. The phone has absolutely been ringing off of the hook with teams inquiring about Varly (holds phone away and supresses laughter), and I was surprised you hadn't called.
Sherman: Varly? I thought he was going to Russia?
McPhee: No, just internet rumours. You know how that goes. Is Stastny in Toronto yet?

(they share a brief chuckle)

Sherman: So, if he's not going to Russia, he's a restricted free agent, right?
McPhee: Could be (hoping Sherman doesn't put 2 and 2 together), but man, we're getting all sorts of offers for him right now. I'm pretty sure he'll land somewhere else soon and sign a contract. I'm going to be honest with you here, we're asking for at least a 2nd rounder in return, plus a little extra.
Sherman: Wow, that really doesn't sound too bad. He might be a longer term solution to what we're looking for.
McPhee (with phone connection a little bit garbled): How about our choice of your 2nd in 2012 or 2013, and a fourth in 2012?
Sherman (unfortunately hears "fourth" as "first"): A first in 2012 plus your choice of our 2nd in 2012 or 2013? Done!
McPhee (speechless at first, then high fiving everyone in sight): Sounds like we have a deal! Good luck with Varly, you just got yourself one helluva goaltender!

McPhee (off of the phone now): Someone get me Peter Stastny, I owe that guy a nice bottle of champagne.

(a few ominous hours later)

McPhee again: No, don't sign Vokoun until tomorrow. I mean, let's let the wound fester a little bit before we dump in the salt.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2011/7...deal-explained

Old
07-03-2011, 07:54 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris RS View Post
Actually, in our board majority of people support this .

Your GM rushed with Bryzgalov, and our GM panicked .

---

Sherman: Hello, George?
McPhee: Hey, Greg from accounting! How you doing these days? Congrats on the Hejda signing, that is huge!
Sherman: Thanks George! Yep, really solidifies our backend. Other than the fact that we don't have a goaltender, I guess. I'm sort of trying to keep this line open for Vokoun's agent ... could I call ...
McPhee: Actually, Greg, that's why I called you. The phone has absolutely been ringing off of the hook with teams inquiring about Varly (holds phone away and supresses laughter), and I was surprised you hadn't called.
Sherman: Varly? I thought he was going to Russia?
McPhee: No, just internet rumours. You know how that goes. Is Stastny in Toronto yet?

(they share a brief chuckle)

Sherman: So, if he's not going to Russia, he's a restricted free agent, right?
McPhee: Could be (hoping Sherman doesn't put 2 and 2 together), but man, we're getting all sorts of offers for him right now. I'm pretty sure he'll land somewhere else soon and sign a contract. I'm going to be honest with you here, we're asking for at least a 2nd rounder in return, plus a little extra.
Sherman: Wow, that really doesn't sound too bad. He might be a longer term solution to what we're looking for.
McPhee (with phone connection a little bit garbled): How about our choice of your 2nd in 2012 or 2013, and a fourth in 2012?
Sherman (unfortunately hears "fourth" as "first"): A first in 2012 plus your choice of our 2nd in 2012 or 2013? Done!
McPhee (speechless at first, then high fiving everyone in sight): Sounds like we have a deal! Good luck with Varly, you just got yourself one helluva goaltender!

McPhee (off of the phone now): Someone get me Peter Stastny, I owe that guy a nice bottle of champagne.

(a few ominous hours later)

McPhee again: No, don't sign Vokoun until tomorrow. I mean, let's let the wound fester a little bit before we dump in the salt.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2011/7...deal-explained

Old
07-03-2011, 09:20 AM
healthyscratch

This reminds me alot of the Beezer/Cujo situation, and how I was disgusted that we signed Beezer instead.

I don't care about the $ that Vokoun received, we got the right goalie, FINALLY!!!!

Old
07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Vokoun is a stop gaP measure, he isnt the future for anyone! Iggy is a long term solution!

Old
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
Vokoun is a stop gaP measure, he isnt the future for anyone! Iggy is a long term solution!
Yeah, because we wouldn't possibly have a future goalie after Vokoun left.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
This reminds me alot of the Beezer/Cujo situation, and how I was disgusted that we signed Beezer instead.

I don't care about the $ that Vokoun received, we got the right goalie, FINALLY!!!!
I agree. Draft picks and FA signings aren't 100percent. The Flyers identified their target and weren't going to settle. The fact that Vokoun and his agent are idiots wasn't forseeable.
I liked Vokoun as an option but he isn't on the same level as Bryz. When was the last meaningful hgame he played? When he was in MTL?

Old
07-03-2011, 12:35 PM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Yeah, because we wouldn't possibly have a future goalie after Vokoun left.
U said it possibly! We have no idea what bob can be or will be! They went out and got a proven commodity! Something we were all *****ing for!

Old
07-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
U said it possibly! We have no idea what bob can be or will be! They went out and got a proven commodity! Something we were all *****ing for!
Vokoun is a proven commodity for at least a year. Is Bryz a proven commodity for NINE years?

Old
07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
DumpyD

Vokoun and the extra cap space to sign a scott hannan type as opposed to a lilja type sure is appealing.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

NSH traded Cody Franson... for NOTHING. would have been nice to have him with us.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:18 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
NSH traded Cody Franson... for NOTHING. would have been nice to have him with us.
We couldn't take Lombardi, though.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I want the ****ing season to start! This is gonna be absolutely brutal waiting. I was iffy about the Jagr signing at first, but TBH I think the dude could put up really surprising numbers. And watch, the Flyers first game next year will be a shutout after none the last year hahah.

07-03-2011, 01:22 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
too many contracts?
We could have buried him?

Sadface*

Old
07-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
One of the advantages to preserving cap space.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I want the ****ing season to start! This is gonna be absolutely brutal waiting. I was iffy about the Jagr signing at first, but TBH I think the dude could put up really surprising numbers. And watch, the Flyers first game next year will be a shutout after none the last year hahah.
I'm as concerned about the forwards as anyone, but you think they're gonna lose 1-0 in their first game?

Old
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I'm as concerned about the forwards as anyone, but you think they're gonna lose 1-0 in their first game?

Old
07-03-2011, 02:16 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I agree. Draft picks and FA signings aren't 100percent. The Flyers identified their target and weren't going to settle. The fact that Vokoun and his agent are idiots wasn't forseeable.
I liked Vokoun as an option but he isn't on the same level as Bryz. When was the last meaningful hgame he played? When he was in MTL?
Can you please just explain to me how you come up with the rash generalization that "Vokoun isn't on the same level as Bryz"?

I just want a nice simple explanation.

Was it save percentage? Cause last I checked, Vokoun posted a .922 save percentage to Bryzgalov's .921, despite playing on a significantly worse defensive team (FLA) than Bryzgalov (PHX). And in 09-10, Vokoun was .925 to Bryzgalov's .922.

Was it the way Bryzgalov carried his team through the playoffs? Oh no, that's right, he had a .879 save percentage in route to crashing out of the playoffs via a sweep last year. But he was good the year before, right? Yes, if you consider a .906 save percentage and another first round exit "good".

I understand the homerism and the fact that we're happy to have a goalie, but don't make baseless claims as a result of your happiness.

We overpaid in years and money... plain and simple.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Hexy, you need a new avatar man. The bet is over no?

Old
07-03-2011, 03:09 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Hexy, you need a new avatar man. The bet is over no?
Haha I need help with one. Anyone?

Closed Thread