HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EA Sports NHL '12 Discussion!! (Cover talk included)

Old
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Jeeze, does anyone else just play franchise mode/seasons/full games anymore or does everyone play BAP now? BAP never appealed to me at all, and still sounds like garbage. How has the rest of the game held up?
I'm with you bud! I have tried be a pro over and over again and just don't get the appeal. I think if they want to make a mode like that, make it more RPGish and give me the off the ice stuff too. Let me do more drills, skate practices & training camp. Let me have phony interviews, and mini-games to workout and improve my skills. To me it's just like playing the game with position lock on right now.

I guess if I played online with a team of other guys that would be enjoyable, but I'm married with kids and don't have time for that kinda stuff!!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post

I'm with you bud! I have tried be a pro over and over again and just don't get the appeal. I think if they want to make a mode like that, make it more RPGish and give me the off the ice stuff too. Let me do more drills, skate practices & training camp. Let me have phony interviews, and mini-games to workout and improve my skills. To me it's just like playing the game with position lock on right now.

I guess if I played online with a team of other guys that would be enjoyable, but I'm married with kids and don't have time for that kinda stuff!!!
Nobody would ever finish a season if they had to do all that!

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Okay, now getting 2nd pp unit time in the preseason of my 2nd NHL season. No PK yet. For those talking about CHL special teams units, NHL is a whole other kettle of fish entirely.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
PietB
Random User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post

I'd skip the practices and workouts, they should be simulatable - but I agree about the interview option. It could pep up both the BAP mode and the Be A GM mode, having to tackle various tricky questions. The answers should have an impact on the gameplay though.

PietB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:50 PM
hockeybpr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
Nobody would ever finish a season if they had to do all that!
I think that would make it that much better though. I don't know if I'd do all the practices and **** but if you could actually live the life that would be sweet.

hockeybpr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
CrashedFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
I think that would make it that much better though. I don't know if I'd do all the practices and **** but if you could actually live the life that would be sweet.
They had that in Madden 07(still my favorite football game to date). It was called Be A Superstar or something. You started off RPG like, where you had to roll to get your parents genes. For example you dad was a highschool football player or he could have been an pro bowl running back, and you mom was a school teacher or she was an Olympic track runner. Then you had to choose your agent, and since you were pretty much unknown you had an agent who didn't have a lot of connections and didn't get you a lot of money. You do team tryouts, get drafted, blah blah blah. You started out in an apartment and during the season you got updates on how you're doing from your agent and calls from espn for an interview. The better you get, the bigger your ego gets, and the better your agent. Then you move into a better place, get more money, etc. It was really cool and really in depth. Also, the main goal of this mode was to make it into the HOF, this could easily be done with the nhl series since it's in a 5 freaking year old madden game.

CrashedFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

My coach is an idiot. In my second season I'm leading the league in points (despite playing fewer games than most of the people trailing me, 9 points in 4 games), decent +/-, leading my team in hits, takeaways, and faceoff wins. I'm rewarded by being busted down to the second line and losing my power play time. "We like your attitude but you need to improve your stats if you expect to play on the first line".

Like... wtf.

Last edited by Dogberry: 10-27-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Paddington

vCash: 50
I've had the game for a week now and I have to say my biggest pet peeve is the overall menu layout, especially when comparing your BAP stats. I compare it to this year's MLB The Show and I find NHL not as user friendly. I like the overall game play though.

Paddington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
CosmoK

PK Turtle Whiner

So I am playing a season in Nhl12... Montreal is next on tap.. So I go into it looking for a big hit or a scrap with PK SUBBAN.. I really didn't want to start playing hard until I either gave him a huge check or a fight... Halfway through the 1st I am up 1-0 but can't touch Subban. So I'm click to Big Z and I want to just fight him.. Well both drop their gloves and Z wins the fight by a large margin.. I'm satisfied and wanted to play hard.. After the fight it shows Subban holding his face like most other fights.. I think nothing of it..
I start the second period and have a 2-0 lead and Clement says the trainers looked at Subban and it's not good.. He can't return.. I just have a grin ear to ear as my intent wasn't to injure but just get a good scrap.. So I end up winning 5-3. After I look at the injuries and PK Subban had a broken nose.. I freakin lost it laughing... Had to share

CosmoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
gobruins14

Heads up - ea.com is selling most stuff for 50% off today. NHL12 for $29.99. Might be a good time to pick it up if you don't have it already.

gobruins14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Sheppy

My main beef with the game (I just bought it 2 weeks ago) - I'm not much of a gamer when it comes to it.

Fighting:
- Anyone notice how since they had the new "fight engine" that everyone leaves the ice, and it's just you and the guy you're fighting on the ice. Also, if you're Brian Gionta and you fight Zdeno Chara he's the same height as you? That's weird to me. Also, every damn fight ends in some form of Knockout.

Head Scans:
- It seems like they basically just do the head scans for your top 6, either that, or they just get really lazy. I mean Brian McGrattan and Tim Thomas have the exact same head? - Come on, the guy wins a Vezina and has been one of the, if not the best goalie in this league for the last few years and you can't give him a proper scan? - Scan them all... lazy, lazy, lazy. Also, give Thomas his actual mask.

GM Mode:
- Holy Injuries, Batman. I swear i can't sim or play a game without losing a player for 3/4 weeks.

Sheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
My HUT team can't be ****ed with right now.

Couturier 99 - RNH 99 - Yakupov 99
Richards 92 - Kopitar 96 - Brown 91
Sharp 91 - Strome 97 - Hossa - 92
scrub - scrub - scrub

Erixon 91 - Larsson 99
Pronger 92 - McQuaid 84
Scrub - scrub

My record is like 100-51-2

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:19 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

This might be my last NHL game until it is re-vamped. It is just too easy.

26 games into my second season and I have 74 goals and 68 assists.

I love the BAP aspect, but make it more challenging/real. I still haven't seen a lick of PP or PK time and average 15 - 20 shots a game.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
This might be my last NHL game until it is re-vamped. It is just too easy.

26 games into my second season and I have 74 goals and 68 assists.

I love the BAP aspect, but make it more challenging/real. I still haven't seen a lick of PP or PK time and average 15 - 20 shots a game.
What difficulty are you playing on?

Old
11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Heisenberg77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppy View Post
My main beef with the game (I just bought it 2 weeks ago) - I'm not much of a gamer when it comes to it.

Fighting:
- Anyone notice how since they had the new "fight engine" that everyone leaves the ice, and it's just you and the guy you're fighting on the ice. Also, if you're Brian Gionta and you fight Zdeno Chara he's the same height as you? That's weird to me. Also, every damn fight ends in some form of Knockout.

Head Scans:
- It seems like they basically just do the head scans for your top 6, either that, or they just get really lazy. I mean Brian McGrattan and Tim Thomas have the exact same head? - Come on, the guy wins a Vezina and has been one of the, if not the best goalie in this league for the last few years and you can't give him a proper scan? - Scan them all... lazy, lazy, lazy. Also, give Thomas his actual mask.

GM Mode:
- Holy Injuries, Batman. I swear i can't sim or play a game without losing a player for 3/4 weeks.
Completely, totally 100% agree with you. I don't expect them to get all of them right, especially bottom 6 guys, but c'mon now. There is NO EXCUSE to not have Brad Marchand and Tim Thomas' proper faces. Not to mention Shawn Thornton since he's such a character and well known and liked by the hockey world.

People don't realize it, but having proper faces in a game makes a WORLLLLLLLLLD of a difference. It just doesn't "feel" the same to me when I score a goal with a guy and you see his face and it's some generic dude you've seen since NHL '07. There's just no excuse for it. It absolutely is an important design aspect and shouldn't be consistently shoved under the rug year after year.

I also agree with the fighting. It's downright terrible as always, but I kind of expect it. The one thing that would make a huge, huge, huge difference in adding realism would be adding refs to break up the fight and obviously some players in the background. This is an easy fix, there's no reason not to take a little time during the dev cycle to dot some friggin "i"s and cross some damn "T"s that have been waiting to be fixed for years.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
What difficulty are you playing on?
All Star

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
All Star
Sounds like time to kick it up to Super Star then, no?