HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Freddie Hamilton

Old
05-27-2011, 12:08 PM
WedgeAntilles*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
step 1: sign brother Freddie
step 2: draft brother Dougie

thats DW's answer to losing to the Sedins.
Are Peter and Stefan still available?

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Sgarbossa is a Steve Ott type player, agitator with scoring upside. Speedy and feisty is how he's been described.
Mitchell/NIchol with skill. I like it. The Sharks could a use a good young Steve Ott. Who knows, maybe he'll blossom into Corey Perry

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
Sgarbossa intrigues me. He seems to have found his scoring touch, but how does a guy 5'11" 160 collect 53 PIMS in 37 games?

I think we can assume he's not fighting, which means he is committing almost one minor penalty every game. That's could be troubling if they are lazy penalties like tripping or holding, but if he's getting roughing or crosschecking minors in front of the net, it's actually a good thing.
...and what happens when you assume

He's had a couple of fights but I'm not sure if they are from this season. I think he got a misconduct on one too. So there you go.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:58 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Sgarbossa is a Steve Ott type player, .
He's the Boss.

05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=563977

Sharks announce signing

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:36 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's not just the last few years. The Sharks have always done that.

Ragnarsson 5th
Korky 6th
Nabokov 9th
Toskala 4th
Kiprusoff 5th (In the same draft as Tosklala)
Mikael Samuelsson 5th
Douglas Murray 8th
Ehrhoff 4th
Clowe 6th
Pavelski 7th
Joslin 5th
Braun 7th

The thing I notice is that an inordinate number of them are euros. I think they must have a better group of euro scouts than most teams...
Teams have wised up a lot since the 90s and early 00's. There were a lot of talented European players being drafted in the later rounds, and for one simple reason...because not everyone saw them enough.

You go back to the year Ehrhoff was drafted you find guys like Huet, Gerber, Zidlicky, Jussi Jokinen, Seidenberg (all of them drafted after Christian). Go back to Murray's year (1999) and you see guys like Zetterberg and Erat both drafted in the 7th. Head back to Kipper's year (1995) you find Handzus (4th), Kuba (8th), D. Markov (9th). My favorite year was 1996, where you saw Kaberle (8th), Kubina (7th), Sami Salo (9th). Bona-fide PMD's all taken after the 7th round! Thats crazy!

Quote:
Team doctors probably won't ever let him out onto the ice. Apparently they have very strict 'no heart, no ice-time' policy. They are still hopeful that further tests will find his heart, but I'm skeptical..
Since when did we hire JR as our team doctor?

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Mitchell/NIchol with skill. I like it. The Sharks could a use a good young Steve Ott. Who knows, maybe he'll blossom into Corey Perry
I just hope he makes the lineup one day. The Pirate puns will be glorious.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:20 AM
Alaskanice

Sounds like another late pick that'll work out. I know the Hamilton brothers have publically stated their desire for the Sharks to get Dougie. Is there a serious possibility here for the Sharks to move up and get DH?? I would love to see the team make this kind of move. What would it take??

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:48 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Sounds like another late pick that'll work out. I know the Hamilton brothers have publically stated their desire for the Sharks to get Dougie. Is there a serious possibility here for the Sharks to move up and get DH?? I would love to see the team make this kind of move. What would it take??
First this year (28th), second this year (the one they'll hopefully get for not signing Patrick White), Petrecki, and an ok prospect? I think Hamilton may go as high as 4th (after Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson and Couturier), so it's going to take A LOT to move up.

I really have no idea how much exactly it would take. I can't remember the last time a team moved up 20 spots in the draft into the top five.

Last edited by rangerssharks414: 05-29-2011 at 07:51 AM.
rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:16 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Nice signing for the Sharks. Once again their scouting department pulls a gem out of the undrafted as a legit prospect. Excelant work!

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I'm not a fan of overpaying for assets purely in order to get relations playing together. We already have a set of drafted brothers and the jury is out on that right now...

Hamilton (F) looks a nice prospect from all that I'd read. For all the grief Doug Wilson gets, we consistently put a team on the ice that is competitive yet make some very shrewd draft acquisitions and free agent signings.

His brother would be a superb addition no doubt - but the cost suggested above (1st, 2nd, two prospects), while it seems about right (although I personally don't see him going above 8...), you have to ask why would we do that? The kid brings no guarantees - he, himself, is still a prospect.

Last year we drafted a kid called Coyle - unheralded. In fact, the pick was excessively berated on these boards and now look at his development curve? Looks like we got a really good one. I'd much rather see our scouting team take a solid guy again in the late first, draft another and see what one more year of Petrecki can do first before I chuck it in for a 'headline' guy. Demers is coming on fine and Braun has bags of potential too - why don't we wait and see?

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
First this year (28th), second this year (the one they'll hopefully get for not signing Patrick White), Petrecki, and an ok prospect? I think Hamilton may go as high as 4th (after Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson and Couturier), so it's going to take A LOT to move up.

I really have no idea how much exactly it would take. I can't remember the last time a team moved up 20 spots in the draft into the top five.
Nope. The deadline to sign Patrick White is August 15, so the compensatory pick would be in 2012, not this year.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:03 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Nope. The deadline to sign Patrick White is August 15, so the compensatory pick would be in 2012, not this year.
Whoops. I thought the deadline was in June for some reason.

Then maybe an NHL player would be traded (Setoguchi sign and trade)? Coyle is untouchable, and I don't see much interest in the other prospects. Maybe Doherty. I doubt if there is a trade that the team would want a 2012 pick.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Alaskanice

Le Rosbeef,
You make good points and to be honest, I agree with you, The rebel in me would like to see DW take a chance this time because DH and David Musil are the concensus defensemen ready to play in the NHL. We could use a young stud this year, just for fun!

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Whoops. I thought the deadline was in June for some reason.

Then maybe an NHL player would be traded (Setoguchi sign and trade)? Coyle is untouchable, and I don't see much interest in the other prospects. Maybe Doherty. I doubt if there is a trade that the team would want a 2012 pick.
June is the deadline to sign Wrenn and Varone.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:25 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Isn't that kind of a good thing, as I've heard 2012 is a deep draft? I know it's a Nucks pick, so it'll still be a late 2nd, but I'm just trying to think positive...

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:33 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Isn't that kind of a good thing, as I've heard 2012 is a deep draft? I know it's a Nucks pick, so it'll still be a late 2nd, but I'm just trying to think positive...
the Sharks wouldn't just get Vancouver's 2nd rounder next year. they would get a 2nd rounder at the same position in the round as the pick that was used to draft Pat White was in the 1st round.

In other words, the 25th pick of the 2nd round (which, if my math is right, would make it the 55th pick overall.) Yes it's still a late pick, but it's not dependent on anything Vancouver does.

It doesn't matter if the Canucks finish dead last in the league or make it back to the stanley cup final. the pick the sharks get as compensation will be exactly the same.

Old
05-30-2011, 02:35 AM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Yeah, that would be a much better situation, 2012 is supposed to be a deeper draft than 2011. For this year outside the top 15-20 people don't expect too much talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
In other words, the 25th pick of the 2nd round (which, if my math is right, would make it the 55th pick overall.) Yes it's still a late pick, but it's not dependent on anything Vancouver does.
Hahaha, I like how you added that in there because we all know how you can't add

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:04 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Yeah, that would be a much better situation, 2012 is supposed to be a deeper draft than 2011. For this year outside the top 15-20 people don't expect too much talent.

Hahaha, I like how you added that in there because we all know how you can't add
My brain has been kind of broken lately, so I wanted to cover my bases in case I ended up actually doing something stupid and screwed it up.