HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
Guys,

Talked to a friend tonight who's in the Flames organization. Mentioned that they had to sign Erixon by tomorrow and he told me it won't happen, Erixon and his Agent have their heads up their behind's as to what he's worth, as well as not liking the Flames organization.
He then told me it didn't matter, they would draft him again and continue negotiating. I was surprised, and asked "with the 13th?" and he said yeah. I said, "You would pass on McNeil at 13th for this guy?" and his reply was that they think Erixon would be a top pick in the draft no matter what and that it's also a little personal now.

Anyway, I was pretty surprised. I don't think he was kidding me either and he would be a person in the know.

Take it for what it's worth. If real, then that would certainly help someone else "drop" to us at 19th.

edit: Also mention Larsson was a terrible interview for them at the combine. They felt he was pretty "strange".
I don't know that I would take the guy again. Why not cut your loses and move on? Or like I said earlier trade him. Not sure wasting yet another 1st rounder is a good move for a team with little prospect depth.

Old
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah he scares the hell out of me as well... the whole "month without a goal thing" is simply crazy for a guy who is supposed to be as offensively adept as RNH is... that being said, he *did* go on a goal-scoring tear at the end of the season, when it's harder to score (compared to october when he had his goaless streak)

i honestly don't know what to think about RNH, and because of that i would take another player #1... RNH is just too risky
Who the heck is less risky? In my mind Larsson is risky as well, not because he won't be a solid dman in the league for a number for years but because he may be a solid though not complete (lack of offense) defenseman in the league for years.

I'm still firmly in the RNH camp. (Size means nothing at all to me for a center of a#1 scoring line. I could care less if he was 170 his whole career.)

Old
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Tim Erixon with the 19th pick or a player from this year's draft? What do you guys think?
It would depend really. If Oilers brass are confident that he would sign and play for the Oil, absolutely. It would help speed up the rebuild a little bit. However, I'm sure other teams would have the same interest in a good defensive prospect who has an extra 2 years of development on the kids he's up against.

Like others are saying, there is a very interesting list of players who could be there at 19 that we could use. McNeil, Klefbom, Brodin, Scheifele, Oleksiak, Beaulieu etc. and Erixon is just either added to that list or helps bump one more up.

People look at each player individually and argue that they won't be there, yet, each team has their own draft needs, and in all likely hood, there will be decent options left at 19. I'm probably more interested/curious about that pick now than I am #1.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Mr Sakich

over at the Rangers boad, they are talking about who to buy out in order to make space for Richards. One common name is Wolski and fans are split 50/50 on him.

He has size and has scored 60 points before. He did not play with quality linemates last year and his production slid. Torts does not like his work ethic and has him firmly in his dog house. The biggest problem is that he has two years at 3.8 mill on his contract.

The Oilers can afford the cap space to take a flyer on a big guy like that for two years. If he flops, then don't renew him. His value is very low, probably negative.

Wolski + 15th overall pick for 19th overall pick plus something unimportant like Chorney??

Old
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
over at the Rangers boad, they are talking about who to buy out in order to make space for Richards. One common name is Wolski and fans are split 50/50 on him.

He has size and has scored 60 points before. He did not play with quality linemates last year and his production slid. Torts does not like his work ethic and has him firmly in his dog house. The biggest problem is that he has two years at 3.8 mill on his contract.

The Oilers can afford the cap space to take a flyer on a big guy like that for two years. If he flops, then don't renew him. His value is very low, probably negative.

Wolski + 15th overall pick for 19th overall pick plus something unimportant like Chorney??
He only has one more year left then he is a RFA. I don't know that Slats makes that type of trade, they have like 20mil in cap space next year. Granted they have some players to re-sign, but Frolov, White and Boogard free up 7mil.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:

interesting

Old
06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
JessikaLovejoy

whens the deadline for calgary to get erixon signed?

Old
06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

We're pretty set at LW, but I'd still do this. Teemu can handle another year in the minors with injury call-up time.

Hall
Paajarvi
Wolski
Jones

I'm good with that.

And on the Erixon thing. If the Flames let him go back to the draft and take him at 13 I will laugh for a long time. They would have effectively traded their 1st this year to move down 30 spots with no return.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
whens the deadline for calgary to get erixon signed?
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...181/story.html

paragraph at the bottom states 3pm (I'm assuming mountain time). Sounds right, because i had heard 5pm EST.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:01 AM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...181/story.html

paragraph at the bottom states 3pm (I'm assuming mountain time). Sounds right, because i had heard 5pm EST.
Thanks!

Well today just got a little more interesting

Old
06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

If Erixon doesn't want to sign with the Flames, doesn't that make you wonder if he wouldn't want to sign with US?

If he is making trouble now, that doesn't bode well in terms of attitude. I wouldn't want to spend a first round pick on him if we'd have the same trouble signing him.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
misfit

It's funny that they would waste another 1st round pick on a guy they already own the rights to (for a few more hours at least).

Is a 1st round pick really worth losing to save a couple hundred thousand dollars (I have no idea how far apart the two sides are)?

06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Asher

There's no chance in hell the Flames draft Erixon again. They're looking bad enough as it is... drafting him again would be PR suicide.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:02 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
By the way, anyone know where the cap ceiling is supposed to jump up to this season? I thought I heard 63 million. That would be good.
Actually it would be bad. I want there to be no raise this year for a couple reasons. One reason, we have a ton of cap space right now and many teams are hurting because of their cap, look at Philly and a few others. Therefore, we may be the recipients of trading prospects/picks for good proven NHLers. The second reason is that we're a couple years away from Hall's extension. Theoretically the new contracts this year will increase proportionately (or more) with the increase in cap space drivng up player salaries and making us pay more for Hall. If Im Katz, Im lobbying for a lower cap increase, then in a year or two they will increase it to 65ish when we need to extend Hall and we're laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
Guys,

Talked to a friend tonight who's in the Flames organization. Mentioned that they had to sign Erixon by tomorrow and he told me it won't happen, Erixon and his Agent have their heads up their behind's as to what he's worth, as well as not liking the Flames organization.
He then told me it didn't matter, they would draft him again and continue negotiating. I was surprised, and asked "with the 13th?" and he said yeah. I said, "You would pass on McNeil at 13th for this guy?" and his reply was that they think Erixon would be a top pick in the draft no matter what and that it's also a little personal now.

Anyway, I was pretty surprised. I don't think he was kidding me either and he would be a person in the know.

Take it for what it's worth. If real, then that would certainly help someone else "drop" to us at 19th.

edit: Also mention Larsson was a terrible interview for them at the combine. They felt he was pretty "strange".
Im not sure what to think of this since I know guys in other organizations (not high up) that tell me one thing but its only water cooler conversations, 95% speculation. However, this seems like a move the flames would make, creating dislike between the two and the guy will leave the moment he can. Also, this is the kind of move that allows to an extended time spent in mediocrity. I love it.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
There's no chance in hell the Flames draft Erixon again. They're looking bad enough as it is... drafting him again would be PR suicide.
I'd love to see the Oilers move their 31st for him but I doubt that happens. Beats the #53 that they would receive in comp.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
ponokanocker

Taking a look at our top 6 for the future, there seems to be a lot of playmakers, but outside of Hall, not much in the way of goal scorers. Eberle looks to be good, and PRV might be good, but Hall is the only real threat. The 2nd line could probably play keep away with a lot of passing, but couldn't see them doing a lot of goal scoring.

Hall RNH Eberle
PRV Gagner Hemsky

I know defense is an area of concern, but what about taking a chance on Puempel at 19? He is a natural goal scorer and could pair up quite well with Gagner(if he is still around), Hemsky(if still around) and/or PRV. This is a quote on info. on him:

"Matt is a fantastic player, with both skill and speed, Matt moves the puck well and is able to protect the puck in his own end. Everytime his time has the puck you can see Matt getting in front of the net waiting for passes, but he is also not afraid to play in the corners and behind the net. Matt has puck control abilities for beyond the tender age of 17, he is smart enough to fall back to defence if needed or any other position, he can cover his man very well and can create turnovers.
Submitted by: Scott Macumber of thehockeyguru.com
"

Old
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
misfit

I like Puempel quite a bit, and even though the last position we need (probably for a long time) is LW, I still think he'd be a great pickup.

With that said, he seems to be falling down the draft rankings a lot and it looks like there's an outside shot he's there with our 2nd rounder. Maybe we could move back into the 1st from 31 to make sure we get him.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I like Puempel quite a bit, and even though the last position we need (probably for a long time) is LW, I still think he'd be a great pickup.

With that said, he seems to be falling down the draft rankings a lot and it looks like there's an outside shot he's there with our 2nd rounder. Maybe we could move back into the 1st from 31 to make sure we get him.
Have you heard any specific reason why he is falling? I know defense is an issue, but read a quote from his coach that he started playing him in defensive roles and on the PK to round out his game and it was coming along nicely. The hip injury did hurt his year as well, so maybe the injury didn't fully heal?

Old
06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Have you heard any specific reason why he is falling? I know defense is an issue, but read a quote from his coach that he started playing him in defensive roles and on the PK to round out his game and it was coming along nicely. The hip injury did hurt his year as well, so maybe the injury didn't fully heal?
I haven't heard of any reason why, and I definitely don't understand it. I have to assume the injury played a big part in it, though his -33 doesn't look too good on the stat line.

But he looked great in the 3-4 games I saw him in.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I haven't heard of any reason why, and I definitely don't understand it. I have to assume the injury played a big part in it, though his -33 doesn't look too good on the stat line.
It's a combination of injury and playing for one of the most godawful teams I've ever witnessed.

Keep in mind that Austin Watson, a year older than Puempel, was a -38 on that team in spite of being widely heralded as a quality two way player.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I also had been pencilling in McNeill in the Calgary Flames 13th slot so if Erixon comes back into the draft that's one more useful prospect that slides towards Edmonton at 19th.

Stu says this is a B+ draft but I still think it's looking good for the Oilers to get a solid D/C prospect with their 2nd 1st round pick.

Erixon put up some good numbers in the SEL this year (10th in scoring amongst dmen at age 19) so you've got to think he's going to go somewhere mid 1st round again. It will be amusing if the Lames draft him again... and then watch him play in the SEL for another 2 years. Can they just keep doing that continually or does he become a UFA at some point and get his freedom away from Calgary?
I'm thinking that it's looking good to potentially get a good D/C prospect at 31 as well.

06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Dabomb

Well.. only 4 hours to go til the deadline for the Flames to sign Erixon. Its like 7pm now in Sweden.. so hopefully Erixon is in a 3 or 4 hour movie right now or something.. or went to bed early

Old
06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Well.. only 4 hours to go til the deadline for the Flames to sign Erixon. Its like 7pm now in Sweden.. so hopefully Erixon is in a 3 or 4 hour movie right now or something.. or went to bed early
Maybe he shut off his phone in disgust? Hopefully Paajarvi, Lander, and Omark went over to his place and got him so **** faced that he's passed out until 8AM tomorrow

Old
06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
If Erixon doesn't want to sign with the Flames, doesn't that make you wonder if he wouldn't want to sign with US?

If he is making trouble now, that doesn't bode well in terms of attitude. I wouldn't want to spend a first round pick on him if we'd have the same trouble signing him.
You clearly have no idea why Erixon isn't signing in Calgary...

Old
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Maybe he shut off his phone in disgust? Hopefully Paajarvi, Lander, and Omark went over to his place and got him so **** faced that he's passed out until 8AM tomorrow
... well hopefully not TOOOO ****faced that he might actually be drunk enough to consider signing with the Flames

Closed Thread