HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
  #326
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The return isn't THAT great for Calgary. They had two options here:

1) Lose Tim Erixon, get the 53rd overall pick, and keep their own 5th rounder

2) Trade Tim Erixon, their own 5th rounder, and a chance to pick 53rd overall for the 45th overall pick, the 57th overall pick, and a 5th round prospect.

In essence all they did was trade Tim Erixon for the 45th overall pick. One second rounder was gained. That's it. It's exactly what we got for Riley Nash.
Its not great, but its as good as it gets. When the player doesn't want to sign, you don't have a choice. They probably could have started shopping him a little earlier if they wanted better return.

But its a bit of a moot point because the Flames are likely to draft a couple of useless plugs with those picks, if history is any indication.

Neilio is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
  #327
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The return isn't THAT great for Calgary. They had two options here:

1) Lose Tim Erixon, get the 53rd overall pick, and keep their own 5th rounder

2) Trade Tim Erixon, their own 5th rounder, and a chance to pick 53rd overall for the 45th overall pick, the 57th overall pick, and a 5th round prospect.

In essence all they did was trade Tim Erixon for the 45th overall pick. One second rounder was gained. That's it. It's exactly what we got for Riley Nash.
Which was also a good return.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
  #328
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The return isn't THAT great for Calgary. They had two options here:

1) Lose Tim Erixon, get the 53rd overall pick, and keep their own 5th rounder

2) Trade Tim Erixon, their own 5th rounder, and a chance to pick 53rd overall for the 45th overall pick, the 57th overall pick, and a 5th round prospect.

In essence all they did was trade Tim Erixon for the 45th overall pick. One second rounder was gained. That's it. It's exactly what we got for Riley Nash.
...but we wouldn't have got a compensatory pick for Nash if he went unsigned, thus this deal looks even more brutal in comparison, not even taking into account the difference, prospect wise, between Erixon and Nash.

the word* is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
  #329
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Tim Erixon is a stud. They got more then if he hadnt signed, but imo, he is worth a mid 1st round pick.
Flames fans think its awesome when no one wants to sign with the Oilers.. Well, today is our day to
The only reason any UFA would sign with Calgary is their one drawing card - the player from Edmonton. Their only big UFA signing was, not coincidentally (imo), another player from Edmonton. Good luck getting players from anywhere else that are willing to play there, Calgary. And when Iggy is gone, even that might not be enough.

Asher is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
  #330
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Its not great, but its as good as it gets. When the player doesn't want to sign, you don't have a choice. They probably could have started shopping him a little earlier if they wanted better return.

But its a bit of a moot point because the Flames are likely to draft a couple of useless plugs with those picks, if history is any indication.
Feaster seems smarter than Sutter, I wouldn't doubt that he had Erixon on the market yesterday and that a trade was worked out early in the day.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
  #331
thalegion
Registered User
 
thalegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
...but we wouldn't have got a compensatory pick for Nash if he went unsigned, thus this deal looks even more brutal in comparison, not even taking into account the difference, prospect wise, between Erixon and Nash.
Pretty sure we were getting a pick if he didn't get signed, wouldn't have been till next year though

thalegion is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
  #332
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Feaster seems smarter than Sutter, I wouldn't doubt that he had Erixon on the market yesterday and that a trade was worked out early in the day.
Yup, that was probably the best offer and he waited until the end to see if anyone would top it.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:48 PM
  #333
Dabomb
Registered User
 
Dabomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
Calgary - the great land of love and NTC's for veterans, but doom and gloom if you're a young prospect.

The way Calgary is treating their first round picks in the last 5 years is really gonna bite them in the ass soon. All they have to show are Backlund and Nemiscz in that span. Horrible. Their future keeps getting dimmer and dimmer..

Dabomb is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
  #334
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Its not great, but its as good as it gets. When the player doesn't want to sign, you don't have a choice. They probably could have started shopping him a little earlier if they wanted better return.

But its a bit of a moot point because the Flames are likely to draft a couple of useless plugs with those picks, if history is any indication.
I can't imagine Feaster's drafting could be as bad as Sutter's.

Asher is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
  #335
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Pretty sure we were getting a pick if he didn't get signed, wouldn't have been till next year though
That is correct. Would have been 52nd next year I believe. I recall Tambi saying better to get the 47th pick in 2010. 5 spots higher, and will be ready 2 years sooner.

What also made that deal important was there was clearly someone they wanted at that 47 pick. Despite how good 2012 is supposed to be, there may not have been a Marincin there at 52.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM
  #336
OilerOlli*
 
OilerOlli*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 500
It's double a smuch what we got for our mid/late first Rounder Riley Nash. Which most guys here saw as a great deal.
And now it is a terrible deal, because it's Calgary. Strange logic.
Sure Erixon is the better prospect than Nash, but when a Player don't want to sign you have limited arguments. Two 2nd rounder and a prospect is a solid return.

OilerOlli* is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
  #337
OilerOlli*
 
OilerOlli*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
That is correct. Would have been 52nd next year I believe. I recall Tambi saying better to get the 47th pick in 2010. 5 spots higher, and will be ready 2 years sooner.

What also made that deal important was there was clearly someone they wanted at that 47 pick. Despite how good 2012 is supposed to be, there may not have been a Marincin there at 52.
Getting nearly the same return as they would had get so or so is pretty weak. Marincin seems to be a godo prospect, but 2012 should be a bette rdraft year than 2010.

OilerOlli* is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
  #338
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Getting nearly the same return as they would had get so or so is pretty weak. Marincin seems to be a godo prospect, but 2012 should be a bette rdraft year than 2010.
I'm not so sure about that. 2010 is looking like an excellent draft year so far.

Also, Erixon is a better prospect than Nash, so why are we expecting the return to be the same?

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
  #339
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
It's double a smuch what we got for our mid/late first Rounder Riley Nash. Which most guys here saw as a great deal.
And now it is a terrible deal, because it's Calgary. Strange logic.
Sure Erixon is the better prospect than Nash, but when a Player don't want to sign you have limited arguments. Two 2nd rounder and a prospect is a solid return.
I don't know about this. You have to look at the quality of player or it's like trading a hundred dollar bill for three loonies. Erixon is a player. Flames should have gotten the 13th overall pick. No one would be making a fuss if that happened.

the word* is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
  #340
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
It's double a smuch what we got for our mid/late first Rounder Riley Nash. Which most guys here saw as a great deal.
And now it is a terrible deal, because it's Calgary. Strange logic.
Sure Erixon is the better prospect than Nash, but when a Player don't want to sign you have limited arguments. Two 2nd rounder and a prospect is a solid return.
There are similarities with the Nash situation but some stark differences as well. The process by which the Oilers got Nash was sheer stupidity, and the best thing I can say about that was that it happened under the old scouting team which since been replaced. After that, however, things look a lot better for the Oilers. They were under no pressure to trade Nash at the draft. A player (Marancin) fell to them at a spot in the draft where they felt it was worth making a deal, and then they made that deal. Marancin being the Oilers current top prospect makes them look even smarter now. Calgary made the best last-minute deal they could. I'll give Feaster credit for that, but otherwise this whole ordeal has been a trainwreck for the Flames.

Asher is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
  #341
OilerOlli*
 
OilerOlli*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'm not so sure about that. 2010 is looking like an excellent draft year so far.

Also, Erixon is a better prospect than Nash, so why are we expecting the return to be the same?
So you agree that Nash was a very weak pick.

OilerOlli* is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
  #342
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Feaster seems smarter than Sutter, I wouldn't doubt that he had Erixon on the market yesterday and that a trade was worked out early in the day.
He may be a bit smarter, but the scouting staff remains the same as far as I know, and I don't think Feaster has been on the job long enough in Calgary to turn things around completely.

Also have you seen his drafting record? 2002-2008

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

He may be decent at putting teams together, but his drafting is pretty suspect.

Neilio is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
  #343
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
So you agree that Nash was a very weak pick.
Is that what you've been trying to prove? If that has been your argument, I don't see anyone disputing that. Tim Erixon is a better prospect than Riley Nash, yes.

misfit is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
  #344
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
You have to wonder if Erixon gave a list of one team to be traded to.

the word* is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
  #345
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
The trades are not comparable. Both players value went in total opposite directions after they were drafted.

jebs is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
  #346
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
It's double a smuch what we got for our mid/late first Rounder Riley Nash. Which most guys here saw as a great deal.
And now it is a terrible deal, because it's Calgary. Strange logic.
Sure Erixon is the better prospect than Nash, but when a Player don't want to sign you have limited arguments. Two 2nd rounder and a prospect is a solid return.
Huge difference is that Erixon is considered Calgary's best prospect, Riley Nash was never considered Edmonton's top prospect.

I don't see Calgary fans being that happy with it on their board BTW.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
  #347
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Huge difference is that Erixon is considered Calgary's best prospect, Riley Nash was never considered Edmonton's top prospect.

I don't see Calgary fans being that happy with it on their board BTW.
It's fair to say that, right now, Marincin >> Nash. Unless the Flames do something great with those draft picks, chances are they will lose this deal.

Asher is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
  #348
JessikaLovejoy
Registered User
 
JessikaLovejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Another difference between Nash and Erixon is their position on their respective team's depth chart. Erixon was CGY's #1 ranked prospect. Nash was nowhere near the top of EDM's, and even he knew that. At the time, the Oiler's top prospect was probably Eberle...followed by MPS, Lander, Petry...

It looks worse for CGY.

Nash pick was still stupid though. Hope Marincin continues to progress.

Edit: Gah, hockeyaddict101 beat me

JessikaLovejoy is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:16 PM
  #349
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
I try to offer my condolences for losing Erixon like that, and I get told that I still think the Oilers will make the playoffs next season.

I love Calgary.

Tad Mikowsky is online now  
Old
06-01-2011, 04:16 PM
  #350
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
He may be a bit smarter, but the scouting staff remains the same as far as I know, and I don't think Feaster has been on the job long enough in Calgary to turn things around completely.

Also have you seen his drafting record? 2002-2008

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

He may be decent at putting teams together, but his drafting is pretty suspect.
So what you are saying is they should copy Bob McKenzie's list?

joestevens29 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.