HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The return isn't THAT great for Calgary. They had two options here:

1) Lose Tim Erixon, get the 53rd overall pick, and keep their own 5th rounder

2) Trade Tim Erixon, their own 5th rounder, and a chance to pick 53rd overall for the 45th overall pick, the 57th overall pick, and a 5th round prospect.

In essence all they did was trade Tim Erixon for the 45th overall pick. One second rounder was gained. That's it. It's exactly what we got for Riley Nash.
Its not great, but its as good as it gets. When the player doesn't want to sign, you don't have a choice. They probably could have started shopping him a little earlier if they wanted better return.

But its a bit of a moot point because the Flames are likely to draft a couple of useless plugs with those picks, if history is any indication.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

2) Trade Tim Erixon, their own 5th rounder, and a chance to pick 53rd overall for the 45th overall pick, the 57th overall pick, and a 5th round prospect.

In essence all they did was trade Tim Erixon for the 45th overall pick. One second rounder was gained. That's it. It's exactly what we got for Riley Nash.
Which was also a good return.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
the word*

Quote:

...but we wouldn't have got a compensatory pick for Nash if he went unsigned, thus this deal looks even more brutal in comparison, not even taking into account the difference, prospect wise, between Erixon and Nash.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Tim Erixon is a stud. They got more then if he hadnt signed, but imo, he is worth a mid 1st round pick.
Flames fans think its awesome when no one wants to sign with the Oilers.. Well, today is our day to
The only reason any UFA would sign with Calgary is their one drawing card - the player from Edmonton. Their only big UFA signing was, not coincidentally (imo), another player from Edmonton. Good luck getting players from anywhere else that are willing to play there, Calgary. And when Iggy is gone, even that might not be enough.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Its not great, but its as good as it gets. When the player doesn't want to sign, you don't have a choice. They probably could have started shopping him a little earlier if they wanted better return.

But its a bit of a moot point because the Flames are likely to draft a couple of useless plugs with those picks, if history is any indication.
Feaster seems smarter than Sutter, I wouldn't doubt that he had Erixon on the market yesterday and that a trade was worked out early in the day.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
...but we wouldn't have got a compensatory pick for Nash if he went unsigned, thus this deal looks even more brutal in comparison, not even taking into account the difference, prospect wise, between Erixon and Nash.
Pretty sure we were getting a pick if he didn't get signed, wouldn't have been till next year though

Old
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Feaster seems smarter than Sutter, I wouldn't doubt that he had Erixon on the market yesterday and that a trade was worked out early in the day.
Yup, that was probably the best offer and he waited until the end to see if anyone would top it.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Dabomb

Calgary - the great land of love and NTC's for veterans, but doom and gloom if you're a young prospect.

The way Calgary is treating their first round picks in the last 5 years is really gonna bite them in the ass soon. All they have to show are Backlund and Nemiscz in that span. Horrible. Their future keeps getting dimmer and dimmer..

Old
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Asher

Quote:

I can't imagine Feaster's drafting could be as bad as Sutter's.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Pretty sure we were getting a pick if he didn't get signed, wouldn't have been till next year though
That is correct. Would have been 52nd next year I believe. I recall Tambi saying better to get the 47th pick in 2010. 5 spots higher, and will be ready 2 years sooner.

What also made that deal important was there was clearly someone they wanted at that 47 pick. Despite how good 2012 is supposed to be, there may not have been a Marincin there at 52.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM
OilerOlli*

It's double a smuch what we got for our mid/late first Rounder Riley Nash. Which most guys here saw as a great deal.
And now it is a terrible deal, because it's Calgary. Strange logic.
Sure Erixon is the better prospect than Nash, but when a Player don't want to sign you have limited arguments. Two 2nd rounder and a prospect is a solid return.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
That is correct. Would have been 52nd next year I believe. I recall Tambi saying better to get the 47th pick in 2010. 5 spots higher, and will be ready 2 years sooner.

What also made that deal important was there was clearly someone they wanted at that 47 pick. Despite how good 2012 is supposed to be, there may not have been a Marincin there at 52.
Getting nearly the same return as they would had get so or so is pretty weak. Marincin seems to be a godo prospect, but 2012 should be a bette rdraft year than 2010.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Getting nearly the same return as they would had get so or so is pretty weak. Marincin seems to be a godo prospect, but 2012 should be a bette rdraft year than 2010.
I'm not so sure about that. 2010 is looking like an excellent draft year so far.

Also, Erixon is a better prospect than Nash, so why are we expecting the return to be the same?

06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
the word*

Quote:
It's double a smuch what we got for our mid/late first Rounder Riley Nash. Which most guys here saw as a great deal.
Sure Erixon is the better prospect than Nash, but when a Player don't want to sign you have limited arguments. Two 2nd rounder and a prospect is a solid return.
I don't know about this. You have to look at the quality of player or it's like trading a hundred dollar bill for three loonies. Erixon is a player. Flames should have gotten the 13th overall pick. No one would be making a fuss if that happened.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Asher

Quote:
There are similarities with the Nash situation but some stark differences as well. The process by which the Oilers got Nash was sheer stupidity, and the best thing I can say about that was that it happened under the old scouting team which since been replaced. After that, however, things look a lot better for the Oilers. They were under no pressure to trade Nash at the draft. A player (Marancin) fell to them at a spot in the draft where they felt it was worth making a deal, and then they made that deal. Marancin being the Oilers current top prospect makes them look even smarter now. Calgary made the best last-minute deal they could. I'll give Feaster credit for that, but otherwise this whole ordeal has been a trainwreck for the Flames.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'm not so sure about that. 2010 is looking like an excellent draft year so far.

Also, Erixon is a better prospect than Nash, so why are we expecting the return to be the same?
So you agree that Nash was a very weak pick.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He may be a bit smarter, but the scouting staff remains the same as far as I know, and I don't think Feaster has been on the job long enough in Calgary to turn things around completely.

Also have you seen his drafting record? 2002-2008

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

He may be decent at putting teams together, but his drafting is pretty suspect.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
So you agree that Nash was a very weak pick.
Is that what you've been trying to prove? If that has been your argument, I don't see anyone disputing that. Tim Erixon is a better prospect than Riley Nash, yes.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
the word*

You have to wonder if Erixon gave a list of one team to be traded to.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
jebs

The trades are not comparable. Both players value went in total opposite directions after they were drafted.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Huge difference is that Erixon is considered Calgary's best prospect, Riley Nash was never considered Edmonton's top prospect.

I don't see Calgary fans being that happy with it on their board BTW.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Huge difference is that Erixon is considered Calgary's best prospect, Riley Nash was never considered Edmonton's top prospect.

I don't see Calgary fans being that happy with it on their board BTW.
It's fair to say that, right now, Marincin >> Nash. Unless the Flames do something great with those draft picks, chances are they will lose this deal.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Another difference between Nash and Erixon is their position on their respective team's depth chart. Erixon was CGY's #1 ranked prospect. Nash was nowhere near the top of EDM's, and even he knew that. At the time, the Oiler's top prospect was probably Eberle...followed by MPS, Lander, Petry...

It looks worse for CGY.

Nash pick was still stupid though. Hope Marincin continues to progress.

Edit: Gah, hockeyaddict101 beat me

Old
06-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I try to offer my condolences for losing Erixon like that, and I get told that I still think the Oilers will make the playoffs next season.

I love Calgary.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
He may be a bit smarter, but the scouting staff remains the same as far as I know, and I don't think Feaster has been on the job long enough in Calgary to turn things around completely.

Also have you seen his drafting record? 2002-2008

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

He may be decent at putting teams together, but his drafting is pretty suspect.
So what you are saying is they should copy Bob McKenzie's list?

Closed Thread