HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
The Huberdeau hype is getting out of control. There's people who would pick him over Larsson? Come on now.
I don't think he should be ranked higher than Larsson but based on Colorado and Florida's needs I don't think he'll be taken until 4th overall if we pass on him and Huberdeau will probably go before him.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
the word*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't think he should be ranked higher than Larsson but based on Colorado and Florida's needs I don't think he'll be taken until 4th overall if we pass on him and Huberdeau will probably go before him.
I think the big question is 'will he be selected before Landeskog?' I think Huberdeau is going to play as a winger and he and Landeskog are the top two wingers in the draft.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:08 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Gotta say, had 4th row tickets at the game tonight, right at the next where all 4 goals were scored... that Huberdeau goal was a beauty. Guy plays a good physical game, really knows where to be. I don't think he is #1 material... but certainly pulled ahead of Strome + Couturier in my books.

1st 3 people I saw when I pulled in... Lowe, Tambi and Stu...

Old
05-29-2011, 11:09 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
The Huberdeau hype is getting out of control. There's people who would pick him over Larsson? Come on now.
HF is the king of "what you have done for me lately" logic. There's no denying that Huberdeau had a terrific playoffs and is a very good player but the talk about him going in the top 2 has come seemingly out of nowhere since his Memorial Cup run. It's a little crazy. Top 5? Sure but top 2 is pushing it imo.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
HF is the king of "what you have done for me lately" logic. There's no denying that Huberdeau had a terrific playoffs and is a very good player but the talk about him going in the top 2 has come seemingly out of nowhere since his Memorial Cup run. It's a little crazy. Top 5? Sure but top 2 is pushing it imo.
I agree with this, he is firmly #4 on my list. RNH, Larsson and Landeskog still hold those top 3 spots, however, I really do see the draft going...

1) RNH
2) Landeskog
3) Huberdeau
4) Larsson

... just based on the teams and where they are drafting.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Mules
Hugging cap floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I agree with this, he is firmly #4 on my list. RNH, Larsson and Landeskog still hold those top 3 spots, however, I really do see the draft going...

1) RNH
2) Landeskog
3) Huberdeau
4) Larsson

... just based on the teams and where they are drafting.
Just to let you guys know, most Avs fans wants Larsson for 2nd overall. We need qualified defensemen.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:23 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
TBH, after watching this game tonight I'd take him at 31. What a great player. So patient and smart.
I think someone will slip to 31 but I would be all for getting another 2nd round pick to pick him up. He definitely had a good memorial cup and didn't make a whole lot of mistakes.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Good on the Oilers for being well represented tonight. I missed the game but I'm sure that they weren't just looking at Huberdeau as there are also Beaulieu, Phillips, etc. That said I don't believe that a good Memorial Cup could have catapulted him to #1 status. #2 or #3 perhaps but not #1. We must remember that not every player gets the opportunity to play on a stacked team like Huberdeau did and none of the other top prospects did. The fact that Seguin was taken #2 with a bullet after a poor showing against Windsor last year tells you that at least to a point the guy deemed to have the higher end skills/upside will still go high even if they lay an egg. Stamkos' 2nd round from his draft year would say as much as well. Huberdeau IMO cemented himself as a top 5 pick with his MC, but let's not proclaim him a surefire #1 or even #2 pick at this point.

05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Couturier or Huberdeau won't be selected top 10 because the QMJHL is a level below the WHL and OHL. I mean they aren't even in the same class.

Said it two months ago that St. John would win the Memorial Cup and the posters saying it was an inferior league would be eating their words.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Whaaaa

Look at team 7.

lol

Old
05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Couturier or Huberdeau won't be selected top 10 because the QMJHL is a level below the WHL and OHL. I mean they aren't even in the same class.

Said it two months ago that St. John would win the Memorial Cup and the posters saying it was an inferior league would be eating their words.
I don't think that too many people are surprised about St. John winning it, you didn't exactly go out on a limb.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Yea, I noticed that a couple days ago and kind of thought it's a bit ridiculous since there hasn't even been any announcement yet.

Old
Mr Forever

Quote:
I don't think too many people actually think that.

If they do say it though, they're probably:

Old
dnicks17

Quote:

You thought the best team in the CHL was going to win the Memorial Cup?

Are you psychic?

Old
05-29-2011, 11:39 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
That's Sweet! Can't wait till it's for sure.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:42 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
I don't think too many people actually think that.

If they do say it though, they're probably:

Well there are posters who I won't name that were stating the above when debating why we should take RNH over Couturier.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You thought the best team in the CHL was going to win the Memorial Cup?

Are you psychic?
No, he thinks the best QMJHL team beating the best OHL and WHL teams proves a point about the overall quality of those leagues.

He seems to believe the fact that he thinks in generalizations means the rest of us do.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Huberdeau was not nearly as good as Hall was last season but he was alright. Definately did not deserve the MVP, De Saairs easily should have won. I think Huberdeau will be a great player in the NHL and should go to Colorado 2nd overall.
Yeah TBH I wasn't overly impressed with Huberdeau. He wasn't even the best player on his own team. I thought Kitsyn and Smith-Pelley were both better but robbed on occasion. De serres was the MVP for sure.

Sure he showed up on the scoresheet but he was shutdown majority of the game and didn't create nearly as many chances as someone like RNH. He doesn't carry the puck and lure guys in the same way RNH does. Don't get me wrong I still like the kid and think he will go top 5-6 but I don't see his game transitioning as well in the NHL. He tries to go through people and is very elusive but no look passes and taking the puck to the net at the NHL level is very hard. It's really easy to get caught in the memorial cup hype.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:55 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
No, he thinks the best QMJHL team beating the best OHL and WHL teams proves a point about the overall quality of those leagues.

He seems to believe the fact that he thinks in generalizations means the rest of us do.
It's not my fault you have the WHL rose colored glasses on. Think what you want but every league in the CHL has good teams and bad teams. The WHL produces more pluggers and the QMJHL produces offensive stars although fewer of them. I know which league I'd be selecting my first line center from.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Lets say we trade up into some hypothetical position, if you had the choice between Ryan Murphy and Ryan Strome, who do you take and why?

Keep in mind in this situation we've taken RNH 1st overall.

05-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Lets say we trade up into some hypothetical position, if you had the choice between Ryan Murphy and Ryan Strome, who do you take and why?

I can't answer because of this.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:02 AM
frag2

Quote:
It's not my fault you have the WHL rose colored glasses on. Think what you want but every league in the CHL has good teams and bad teams. The WHL produces more pluggers and the QMJHL produces offensive stars although fewer of them. I know which league I'd be selecting my first line center from.
This. Seems like posters just can't see things objectively. Is RNH the best pick at 1st? Probably. But that doesn't diminish the quality of the other leagues...other being just QMJHL since it appears OHL and WHL are used interchangeably around here.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Eytinge

Quote:

Murphy. I'd take Hamilton over Strome also.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:03 AM
dnicks17

Quote:

Strome.

It's between him and Dimitrij Jaskin for best shot in the whole draft, in my opinion.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:04 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:

Murphy, AINEC. If the Oil take RNH 1st then they need to start looking for a guy who can move the puck from the back end and QB a PP.

Closed Thread