HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2011, 04:58 PM
  #151
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Yeah saw him too (BDW is so so awesome), but tbh, I really don't like players with questionable hockey sense. Still, in the later rounds, could be someone to keep an eye on.

My random big sized HS player is Joseph LaBate:





(Same site as you )
Ya... as you get into the 5th round and beyond... taking shots at these potential big guys who'll either be busts or borderline 3rd/4th liners/role players is worth doing. It's a crapshot anyway in the last third of the draft.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 05:03 PM
  #152
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,705
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Yeah saw him too (BDW is so so awesome), but tbh, I really don't like players with questionable hockey sense. Still, in the later rounds, could be someone to keep an eye on.

My random big sized HS player is Joseph LaBate:

(Same site as you )
I really like LaBate too.

My hope for McKee would be moving him back to forward. A 6'5'' 235lb(and still growing) winger who can skate, has a nasty side and an awesome shot is a pretty valuable commodity, in my opinion.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 05:30 PM
  #153
Oilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I really like LaBate too.

My hope for McKee would be moving him back to forward. A 6'5'' 235lb(and still growing) winger who can skate, has a nasty side and an awesome shot is a pretty valuable commodity, in my opinion.
Fair enough. Maybe another Peckham?

I'd be interested to hear who else you have that could be steal potential, ranked say, 3rd round or lower?

Mine:

LaBate
Sergeev
Bligh
Sundstrom
Boucher


Of the top of my head. I really like Sundstrom too. Has all the makings of a good 2nd line C imo.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 05:51 PM
  #154
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,705
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Fair enough. Maybe another Peckham?

I'd be interested to hear who else you have that could be steal potential, ranked say, 3rd round or lower?

Mine:

LaBate
Sergeev
Bligh
Sundstrom
Boucher


Of the top of my head. I really like Sundstrom too. Has all the makings of a good 2nd line C imo.
I like the list.

I think Boucher might slip into the top 2 rounds though. He's the American Eberle. He was too clutch at the U-18s.

My list(without counting the guys on yours) probably looks something like:

Josh Leivo - Big two-way RWer was lights out in the 2nd half of the season and play-offs.
Justin Sefton - Big tough D.
Justin Thomas - Powerforward who can fight/score, injuries held him to 11 games.
Dillon Simpson - legit talent, don't know why he's ranked so low.
Marek Tvrdon - Another shortened season, but looked good.
Zahar Arzamastsev - Really like him, doubt we'll go with a Russian though.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 06:15 PM
  #155
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,233
vCash: 500
If Percy falls to 61, we have a gem in our hands.

Hopefully McNeil falls, and then we add Musil + Percy. We'd be good to go from there. I've said it before and i'll say it again, this draft will make or break the rebuild.

Gobo is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
  #156
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
If Percy falls to 61, we have a gem in our hands.

Hopefully McNeil falls, and then we add Musil + Percy. We'd be good to go from there. I've said it before and i'll say it again, this draft will make or break the rebuild.
IMO, this draft could make the rebuild nearly complete, but I don't think one draft will break what we have done so far.

Hall, Ebs, Paajarvi, and our 1st overall pick this year are all our property long-term, so if this draft went poorly IMO it would just set us back about half a year to a year, because essentially we'd be in the same spot as last year except all of our rookies will have a year of experience under their belt.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 08:55 PM
  #157
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,162
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
So are you saying you would choose Huberdeau over RNH when you were strongly Opposed to Rnh weight? Because Huberdeau is 4lbs lighter than Rnh . Does not seem to be a problem with Huberdeau but a Achillis hill with RNH.
Where do I say I want Huberdeau? What I'm saying is that the lack of elite offensive prospects that the WHL has put out compared to the QMJHL has to be a factor when looking at the 1st overall pick. I still firmly believe SC is going to be the best player from this draft class. He had mono for the start of the year and still put up great numbers I just wonder where he would have ended up if he didn't have mono.

raab is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
  #158
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Nah... I ain't wrong... the Oilers were actively peddling both Penner and Hemsky and had high price tags on each and got a bite on Penner which wasn't surprising because he was a big never-injured forward who can score 30+ goals in a good year... they don't grow on trees and it's no surprise they got a decent deal for him.

Hemsky though is a guy whose career has been marred by injuries and he isn't going to suddenly lose that rep and teams know that. He's a ppg guy when he's healthy but realistically he's only going to play half to 3/4 of a season each year... so you are getting half to 3/4 of a player when you trade for him. The Oilers would definitely have traded him away for a similar package to what Penner got... actually even less in my opinion.
Actually by the sounds of it they were asking a LOT for Hemsky. Was there not a quote somewhere of one GM saying "If that's what you're asking keep him!" ? The Oilers were not willing to part with Hemsky unless the package is jaw dropping. He's still the best player on the team, not worth giving up on yet.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
  #159
BestWestern
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
The oilers were def askin ALOT 4 hemsky, Darren dreg said leading up to the trade deadline on GM said "if they want that much for their Ales Hemsky they can keep him" . Can't find a link but it sounds familiar lol.

BestWestern is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 09:47 PM
  #160
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestWestern View Post
The oilers were def askin ALOT 4 hemsky, Darren dreg said leading up to the trade deadline on GM said "if they want that much for their Ales Hemsky they can keep him" . Can't find a link but it sounds familiar lol.
Yes, that is the quote. Too many people are underestimating how lethal a healthy Hemsky will be over the next few years as Hall/Eberle/Paajarvi/RNH keep getting better and better.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
  #161
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Yes, that is the quote. Too many people are underestimating how lethal a healthy Hemsky will be over the next few years as Hall/Eberle/Paajarvi/RNH keep getting better and better.
A healthy Hemsky is almost as phantastic as speedy, offensively talented Strudwick.

tiger_80 is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
  #162
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,864
vCash: 500
Ales Hemsky is already 27... in oiler land thats pretty much over the hill. Its actually almost comical. I guess this means that Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Thomas Vanek, Dany Heatley, Marian Gaborik, Ilya Kovalchuk, Jason Spezza, Patrick Sharp, Rick Nash, and Alexander Semin are all too old as well.

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:48 PM
  #163
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
IMO, this draft could make the rebuild nearly complete, but I don't think one draft will break what we have done so far.

Hall, Ebs, Paajarvi, and our 1st overall pick this year are all our property long-term, so if this draft went poorly IMO it would just set us back about half a year to a year, because essentially we'd be in the same spot as last year except all of our rookies will have a year of experience under their belt.
That half year becomes a full season though. Then the big 3 get there new contracts and suddenly things aren't so rosey. I don't expect us to win before the big 3's ELC's expire but we should have the assurance of good depth throughout the org. which this draft will do a great job at accomplishing.

Gobo is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
  #164
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Ales Hemsky is already 27... in oiler land thats pretty much over the hill. Its actually almost comical. I guess this means that Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Thomas Vanek, Dany Heatley, Marian Gaborik, Ilya Kovalchuk, Jason Spezza, Patrick Sharp, Rick Nash, and Alexander Semin are all too old as well.
It seems the HF way to dump every player over 25 and build our team around 18-22 year olds doesn't it.

Hall RNH Eberle
MPS #19 pick Omark

I am shocked at the amount of people who are projecting our top 6 to look like this in a few years. There is no way all these players turn out.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
  #165
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
It seems the HF way to dump every player over 25 and build our team around 18-22 year olds doesn't it.

Hall RNH Eberle
MPS #19 pick Omark

I am shocked at the amount of people who are projecting our top 6 to look like this in a few years. There is no way all these players turn out.
I get the kick out of these ones

Hall RNH Eberle
Paajarvi Pitlick Omark
Hamilton Lander Jones
hartikainen Vanvelde Martindale

Whitney Gilbert
Peckham Petry
Marincin Tuebert

Honest to god I have seen these as what our roster will look like in 2 years

Hemsky Gagner Cogliano Brule Are all gone with no return whatsoever and like a roster like that will ever be a elite team.

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 11:30 PM
  #166
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
I get the kick out of these ones

Hall RNH Eberle
Paajarvi Pitlick Omark
Hamilton Lander Jones
hartikainen Vanvelde Martindale

Whitney Gilbert
Peckham Petry
Marincin Tuebert

Honest to god I have seen these as what our roster will look like in 2 years

Hemsky Gagner Cogliano Brule Are all gone with no return whatsoever and like a roster like that will ever be a elite team.
Haha you are right. That is a common theme around here. Much like Gagner and Cogliano were going to be our 1-2 C punch a few years ago, and Schremp/Pouliot a few years before that.

I get where it comes from though. When players are still prospects, their flaws are all masked, and you just see the good. This allows people to make lofty expectations. I prefer to make sure Eberle/Omark are going to be great players before I dump a great player in Hemsky.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 11:33 PM
  #167
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
vCash: 500
I'm hoping for a future top 6 looking like this, (2-3 years from now)

Hall - RNH - Hemsky
MPS - Gagner - Eberle

then have a bottom 6 of larger more physical forwards and 4 big body defenceman with mean streaks to go with 2 offensive minded defenceman.

Potenial bottom 6,

Hamilton - Lander - Jones
Hairtikanen - VV - Pitlick

Keep in mind i'm only using current Oiler property (I know, RNH...) I haven`t considered other draft picks, FA signings and trade returns.

shogun99 is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 12:41 AM
  #168
jukon
#Nailedit
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Two words that make me very excited are... DRAFT COMBINE

I need special edition Oil Change coverage of the prospects and the interviews.

jukon is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 01:13 AM
  #169
jeetz
Registered User
 
jeetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moochmooch View Post
Hey guys,
That looks great, and thanks for all the info on the prospects.
I'm just wondering where you heard the Gilbert to Hurricanes for the 12th rumor? Is it credible? It sounds very interesting.
Thanks,
mm
I am wondering that too. Though if the Oil could find a way to trade with Winnipeg for Bogosian....

Whitney Bogosian...top pairing 25+ min per night
Smid....once again pressed into 2nd pairing role, might be ready this time
Peckham....a full year under his belt would be anywhere between #3-#6
Foster...with his year of hell behind him, look for a big rebound year, good on the Oil for sticking with him
Vandermere...a warrior who can still play, just have to resign him for the right price
Petry....ready for 82 games

We are better than last year with Petry and Peckham alone, plus an improved Foster.

No matter what, we really need a bonifide #2 who is ready to step in right away.

jeetz is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 04:02 AM
  #170
canovin
Klefbom's charm
 
canovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Always curious why Oilers fans are so obsessed with Bogosian coming over at the price of Hemsky, Gagner, picks and prospects etc. He is home sick and doesn't want any part of ATL, what makes you think he wants to be with Edmonton?? Guys like him you don't pay a hefty price for. Wait for 2012 and take one of Murray or Ebert for free. That should complete our rebuild.

canovin is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 06:03 AM
  #171
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Always curious why Oilers fans are so obsessed with Bogosian coming over at the price of Hemsky, Gagner, picks and prospects etc. He is home sick and doesn't want any part of ATL, what makes you think he wants to be with Edmonton?? Guys like him you don't pay a hefty price for. Wait for 2012 and take one of Murray or Ebert for free. That should complete our rebuild.
No kidding - you'd think the Pitkanen experiment would have opened peoples' eyes regarding what happens when you trade for a skilled, head-case D-man. The only way I'd trade for him is if he signed a long term extension prior to the deal and was interviewed about his desire to join the team beforehand.

Baggers is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
  #172
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,501
vCash: 500
I agree the Bogosian acquisition is an accident waiting to happen IMO. I know he's young, big with great upside but so far he's been unimpressive and obviously there are questions about character. Pass from an Oilers perspective. It's sad that the one barganing chip the Oilers have left is Hemsky and that it seems like many are willing to part with him for sketchy at best deals.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 09:41 AM
  #173
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I agree the Bogosian acquisition is an accident waiting to happen IMO. I know he's young, big with great upside but so far he's been unimpressive and obviously there are questions about character. Pass from an Oilers perspective. It's sad that the one barganing chip the Oilers have left is Hemsky and that it seems like many are willing to part with him for sketchy at best deals.
I used to be a fan of the idea of going for him, but after I found out he was homesick, that changed things. I'd pass on him too. The last thing we need is another player making a public request to leave after we pick them up.

Plenty of D-men in 2012. We should be able to grab a good one with a top 10 pick.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
  #174
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,909
vCash: 50
dnicks can you update that spreadsheet? I see ISS has another update. Huberdeau at 3 now.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36721

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
  #175
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23,561
vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
dnicks can you update that spreadsheet? I see ISS has another update. Huberdeau at 3 now.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36721
McNeill at 21, Scheifele at 18. Is there hope!?

Joey Moss is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.