HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

How did you become a Hawks Fan?

Old
06-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Blucher

vCash: 500
My interest in hockey started in the early-mid 80s. I mostly tried to follow Swedish players such as Willy Lindström, Bob Nyström, Börje Salming and Pelle Lindbergh(RIP). At that time it was really hard to get any nhl related news...pre internet and cable tv. Occasionally tv showed highlights from some games or from the playoffs.

As many other posters i traded hockeycards with my friends as a kid...and i instantly fell in love with the Hawks jersey...i think my first card was a Keith Brown card, if i remember correctly!

During the summer of 92 i got a tape of the finals from a relative who lived in Canada, all of my friends rooted for Penguins bc of Lemieux and Jagr...but i was totally hooked on the Hawks from then!

My favourite Hawk is Dave Manson!

Blucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:34 PM
YKYW
Messier 2.0

Kind of a story of a guy who always liked the Hawks but never had a "team" growing up on the prairies. Ironically, I was more into basketball growing up (LOVED the Bulls) than hockey, which is kind of backwards considering I'm Canadian.

However, I really like the Hawks teams of the 90s going against the Pens with Roenick, Chelios, Belfour etc they really caught my attention and I was pulling for them. I can still hear Bob Cole saying "Jeeerraaammmy Roenick" as he slid down the ice on his knees after that OT goal vs the Leafs in 94.

Not a Hawks memory but Hawks player, Steve Larmer scoring that goal in the 91 Canada Cup on the breakaway was an early childhood memory I won't forget.

As I got older and into high school, football and basketball kind of took over my personal life so I really payed a lot closer attention to them. I always kept an eye on what was happening with hockey but again, never "bought in" on any team.

Then in 2006 came along and a friend and I discussed doing a "draft" of a hockey team and a third guy would do the same for NBA. There was a lot of time put into this decision as we didn't take it lightly so there were many categories including history, colors, logos, players, potential, accessibility to games among many others.

After a long assessment process in the summer of 2006, and having come across the history of the Hawks being traced back to the original Regina Capitals (my home town) and harkening back to some of the older teams I watched when I was much younger the decision was easy.

While I won't say I've been a life long fan and agonized over the curse etc, I sure did take a great amount of pride going from a team picking 3rd overall in 2006 to winning it all a short 4 years later.

I recently came across this site in searching for a great spot to talk Hawks and from what I can tell, I'm home

Is it time for training camp yet!

Last edited by YKYW: 06-09-2011 at 11:42 PM.
YKYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Doghandler

My parents live about 200 meters from the local rink, began playing hockey at the age of 4. I tried to follow the Swedish players but back then you basically got some highlights on the news during playoffs, and NHL was pretty unknown here. We are talking 70-80's now.

I liked the physical element of hockey and often got told by my coaches to go after the puck once in a while and not only the player. When we started taking busrides to away games we used to watch these videos "Greatest hits of the NHL" stuff like that, in the bus. I noticed the Hawks players were always playing hard, and everyone else was a Leaf fan (because of Borje Salming) I just fell in love with the Hawks so they have been my team since then.

So been a fan since the late 70's. I dont post much, I read the forums a few times per week. I still skate every winter, and love the sound of the rink, the smell of the dressingroom and if I was younger I'd love to still be chasing that perfect hit

Last edited by Doghandler: 06-14-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Doghandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Section331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
My parents live about 200 meters from the local rink, began playing hockey at the age of 4. I tried to follow the Swedish players but back then you basically got some highlights on the news during playoffs, and NHL was pretty unknown here. We are talking 70-80's now.

I liked the physical element of hockey and often got told by my coaches to go after the puck once in a while and not only the player. When we started taking busrides to away games we used to watch these videos "Greatest hits of the NHL" stuff like that, in the bus. I noticed the Hawks players were always playing hard, and everyone else was a Leaf fan (because of Borje Salming) I just fell in love with the Hawks so they have been my team since then.

So been a fan since the late 70's. I dont post much, I read the forums a few times per week. I still skate every winter, and love the sound of the rink, the smell of the dressingroom and if I was younger I'd love to still be chasing that perfect hit
I figured many Swedish fans would not currently like the Hawks, due to there being prominent players on the current Red Wings and Canucks teams...which are our biggest rivals!
Were there many converted Hawks fans due to Hjalmarsson bringing the cup home last year?

Section331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Doghandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section331 View Post
I figured many Swedish fans would not currently like the Hawks, due to there being prominent players on the current Red Wings and Canucks teams...which are our biggest rivals!
Were there many converted Hawks fans due to Hjalmarsson bringing the cup home last year?
Hjalmarsson is not very wellknown here, he was not really a starplayer when he left the SEL to play for the Hawks.

Him beeing a local boy, I guess the Hawks are gaining popularity in this region. Other than that it is Detroit this, Vancouver that , oh and of course the Lundqvist love story with Swedish media.

Doghandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

but with Krüger we added a guy that is known in Sweden. Having Rensfeldt and Stalberg helps too

but not as much as Wings/Nucks/Lundqvist and MPS

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
ScreamingBuffalo

vCash: 560
Grew up in Winnipeg, my dad was a long time hawk/bears/cubs fan. They were practicing the the local rink and I got to meet Chelios / Belfour when I was 7. I still in my head remember me thinking they were giants. After the Jets left I don't remember being able to watch a lot of games on TV, but every rockem sockem VHS / DVD better believe I would be waiting for some blackhawk highlights.

Went to see them play in the UC in 2008, my body shook during the Star Spangled Banner. Even spotted my Dad tearing up during it, even though he won't admit it. It didn't take too many trips after that to just love everything about Chicago. I still make a trip there once in a while, or catch the Bears / Hawks in Minnesota for the 7 hour drive is a lot easier but it's no comparison to being there.

Everyone's excited for the return to the NHL to Winnipeg and I'm no exception. Already got my season tickets. But rest assured if the Hawks come to town (maybe) or the 2 times they will next year, I will be wearing my Hawks jersey proud.

First ever post. Happy to be here

ScreamingBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
My father was a huge Hawks fan. then I want to old Chicago Stadium and I was hooked for life. That place was awesome!

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
southsidehawks

born into Hawk-dom but it was cemented when i went to Cheli & JR's camp at Bridgeview Ice Arena where I played as a kid. they had Brett Hull, Suter, and a few others also. I remember them being really cool to us, especially JR & Hull. also used to love listening to Tallon & Foley on radio when I was supposed to be asleep.

southsidehawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Gurth

Grew up in Joliet in a completely and utterly non-hockey family. An associate of my dad's took us to a game in the early to mid eighties against the Isles and I was completely blown away.

Don't remember the exact year, but I have photos that I took that include the Hawks from that era as well as Bossy, Trottier etc.

I remember my first anthem. I'm getting chills thinking about it. Like nothing I had ever experienced to that point in my 13-14 years of life.

Been hooked ever since and even started playing hockey in my late teens due to this new sport that I had discovered.

Have many of the same stories of listening to Pat and Dale when I was supposed to be in bed, seeing more fights in the stands than on the ice, etc.

I love finally getting a Cup, but I still miss the heck out of 80's era Blackhawks, stadium and my life.

Go HAWKS!

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Bladesofsteel1985
Rookie User

My exposure to the game was not family-related at all. It did begin at a young age watching one of those Sports Illustrated Year in Sports (1992) and caught my eye on the Blackhawks as well as the Penguins. I vividly remember hockey being a hot topic when the Rangers finally broke their 50+ year curse and thought that's the sports story of the year.

My main memories as a young guy were the mid 90s: Roenick, Chelios, Belfour, Murphy, etc. facing our division rivals, Detroit. What also helped me watch the game was the NHL on FOX (que "glowing puck"). Plus, the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry.

My care for hockey took a nose dive when the dark ages started in the late 90s. My only memories of that period is going to a couple of games with my friends, and get 300 level tickets for $8-$10 by showing your college ID.

If there was anything hockey-related I did in that time slot, it's playing Blades of Steel or NES Ice Hockey.

Passion for the Hawks came back in the 07-08 season with Toews and Kane paving the way to a bright future and you what happened in the next few years.

Bladesofsteel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:04 AM
madgoat33

I became a hawks fan in the 07 season. I was always a baseball/football guy growing up, but away at school, I had a lot of friends who were hockey players, so I started watching it and it captivated me. Been a fan ever since.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote