HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you afraid of the small solution in goal?

Old
05-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

vCash: 500

It looks to me already like it, that we may go with Bob and Leighton in the season.

1. Carter will not go. He has just signed a huge contract,
2. Hartnell NTC

I donīt think Homer has understood that Bob is too young and Leighton just a ahl goalie. Even if he understood it, it is difficult to do this trade, without really big changes in the squad.

And i donīt think we get rid of Walker and Shelley....

Did I think too negative?

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

It looks to me already like it, that we may go with Bob and Leighton in the season.

2. Hartnell NTC

I donīt think Homer has understood that Bob is too young and Leighton just a ahl goalie. Even if he understood it, it is difficult to do this trade, without really big changes in the squad.

I would say its unlikely Carter will not go, it's certainly not an impossibility if Holmgren gets paid enough.

You aren't accounting for nearly enough with this post, it seems like you read 3-4 posts and came up with this argument.

What about Carle/Versteeg?

But of course I am afraid of the same o'l from Holmgren, this question shouldn't even need to be asked around here.

I mean no offense, but as a newcomer you may want to read more threads...as this has been discussed to endless lengths around here...especially lately.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

2. Hartnell NTC

If we don't pick up anybody new,and Homer decides Bob is indeed the answer, I highly doubt Leighton will be the backup. They can resign Boosh (who has already accepted a mentor role with Bob) or someone else. Both options would be cheaper and likely have more skill.

05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
You aren't accounting for nearly enough with this post, it seems like you read 3-4 posts and came up with this argument.

I mean no offense, but as a newcomer you may want to read more threads...as this has been discussed to endless lengths around here...especially lately.
Why do you reduce me to the number of my posts.

I read many threads here and for much longer than I am registered.

I also donīt intend to blaspheme Carter, Leighton, Carle, Hartnell or Homer, as is happened so often in the past here, but want a realistic assessment if we ever get the money for a UFA goalie.

I'm not about to evaluate individual players, but to look in the context as the trend looks like. And to me it looks like we go with Bob as number 1 in the season.

Carle and Versteeg togethe bring 6,4 of free Cap Space. Leino and Giroux cost us round about 5,0 - 6,0 of Cap hit. So there is the money gone.

In addition, please forgive me my bad English. I hope you could understand me a little.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Why do you reduce me to the number of my posts.

I read many threads here and for much longer than I am registered.

I also donīt intend to blaspheme Carter, Leighton, Carle, Hartnell or Homer, as is happened so often in the past here, but want a realistic assessment if we ever get the money for a UFA goalie.

I'm not about to evaluate individual players, but to look in the context as the trend looks like. And to me it looks like we go with Bob as number 1 in the season.

Carle and Versteeg togethe bring 6,4 of free Cap Space. Leino and Giroux cost us round about 5,0 - 6,0 of Cap hit. So there is the money gone.

In addition, please forgive me my bad English. I hope you could understand me a little.
I'm lazy, getting old, and overall an unhappy person in real life.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Welcome to the club.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Flyers845

Quote:
Are you seriously telling someone on the Internet to not post something? Get a life pal

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Actually, no, he didn't do that.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

close the thread and all will be good

Old
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

i must post this like 3-4 times a week now. i enjoy it.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:27 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
Are you seriously telling someone on the Internet to not post something? Get a life pal
I'm the local forum Nazi, didn't you know?

But only when you mis-read what I post

Old
05-27-2011, 09:38 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If we don't pick up anybody new,and Homer decides Bob is indeed the answer, I highly doubt Leighton will be the backup. They can resign Boosh (who has already accepted a mentor role with Bob) or someone else. Both options would be cheaper and likely have more skill.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with a Bobrovsky/Boucher pairing again next year, and even though I really want us to go after someone like Vokoun in July I wouldn't be too upset if we ended up with B/B. Last summer I was furious when Homer decided to go with Leighton and Boucher, but I can see the rationale in staying the course with Bobrovsky as our man if they really belive he's ready for a starter role in the playoffs next year.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:41 AM
phlocky

Yes, I am VERY afraid of us missing out on Vokoun and Bryz and "settling" for something lesser thinking we can get by with stellar defense instead.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:59 AM
lancer247

i definitely think he will bring in someone to be a #1 but I am not sure it will be who people want ie Bryz or Vokoun.

I can see Homer bringing in Nabokov or Emery on the cheap. This may allow Homer to keep his D intact and sign Leino

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

There will be an upgrade in goal. That much I certainly believe, especially with Snider's comments that he wants the goaltending carousel to stop. Even though Holmgren feels that the goaltending doesn't need to be upgraded, I think the boss wins out on this and will force Holmgren to go after one of Vokoun or Bryzgalov.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:04 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:

2. Hartnell NTC

I agree on everything you said. However, you may have missed the Snider interview. He said we have a solution in goal next year. Since the owner is as frustrated as the fans, we hope that Homer has no choice but to make a pitch.

More worrisome is the rumours of us trading for the "rights to negotiate" with a goalie. I don't think Bryz is signing with anyone until he sees all the offers (pointless trade will remove assets for nothing, like Hamhuis), Vokoun may sign.

Cheers.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with a Bobrovsky/Boucher pairing again next year, and even though I really want us to go after someone like Vokoun in July I wouldn't be too upset if we ended up with B/B. Last summer I was furious when Homer decided to go with Leighton and Boucher, but I can see the rationale in staying the course with Bobrovsky as our man if they really belive he's ready for a starter role in the playoffs next year.
I expect him to roll with Boosh/Bob. I'd like Vokoun, but it's Homer.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Afraid, no. Would I be disappointed if a band-aid solution was put into place -- yes.

I actually think something is brewing and this team will have a legitimate goalie come the start of the season.

Should this not come to fruition, then I will gladly post in the 'Share something you were WRONG about...' thread.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:54 PM
AFlyersPhamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I agree on everything you said. However, you may have missed the Snider interview. He said we have a solution in goal next year. Since the owner is as frustrated as the fans, we hope that Homer has no choice but to make a pitch.
I feel like Snider spoke exactly as a frustrated fan would have: reactionary to how the season ended. Unfortunately getting another goalie in here who MIGHT be an upgrade from Bobrovsky will cost, and there's this little thing called a salary cap that I'm not sure Snider believes is a hindrance...

But it sure can be.

AFlyersPhamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Coppy

I might get some heat for this, but I'm really not worried about them going out and getting a legit #1 goalie. The comments coming out of the organization seem to point to that. I think they were truely embarrassed by how the goaltending played out in the playoffs. They've had subpar goaltending in the past, but I can't remember a year when their goaltending has failed them so bad.

I think we'll get a #1 goalie. What worries me is what we'll need to give up to make him fit. In recent years, when the team has gone into an offseason with a single goal in mind, they've been remarkably uncreative in achieving that goal. They've basically overpaid every time. When they wanted a top defensemen, they overpaid to get Pronger. When they wanted to to solidify their bottom defensive pairing they traded for Mez in spite of the fact their were legit defensive options on the open market. That move forced them to move out Gagne for scraps. My worry is they go overboard to get their top goalie and are again forced to trade away something of value for absolutely nothing...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Jumping

But no one has told me who this "Small" guy is?

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
However, you may have missed the Snider interview. He said we have a solution in goal next year.
What interview was that? The interview I heard more less said Snider would be happy with a small solution as long as that small / unproven solution stepped up in TRAINING camp. that is what I heard snider say.

But I'm curious, why more Flyer fans don't want someone like Rolloson over Vokoun or Bryz. Rollie has way more PLAYOFF success than both Vokoun and Bryz combined.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:07 AM
RC46

Roly is falling apart as we speak .. he tired down the stretch with tbay and after another year of aging i certainly wouldn't pick him to go between the pipes. vokoun would be the guy, but obviously the cap is a huge hinderance on that move. There is also the fear that he's somewhat of a luongo - shuts the door when bombarded in florida, then turns out shaky performances when he isn't called upon as much. Its very hard as to who you would trade to open the cap space to bring a guy like that in, everyone brings a piece to the puzzle. Bob however was the man for over half the season as an unheralded rookie, and was getting calder talk before his starts were unexplainably cut back. Maybe that had something to do with his shaky playoff performance.

There was an opinion that he was trying too hard to be perfect after losing a 1-0 game to miller early in that series, who knows if that was the case or not. Either way hes gonna be a year older next year, and if money is too tight, its not like he was a weakness back there (round 1 excluded)

RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 01:21 AM
mercury

Quote:

Giroux is already accounted for. Carle and Versteeg gone would be enough to get Vokoun or Bryzgalov and then we can look at re-signing Leino.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote