HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How well could VOYNOV replace JOHNSON next season?

View Poll Results: How well could VOYNOV replace JJ next season?
Voynov could compete for rookie-of-the-year and do great for us 4 6.67%
Voynov would be OK, but not as good as JJ defensively/physically 12 20.00%
VOYNOV would flame-out & FAIL disastrously trying to replace JJ! 12 20.00%
Not sure how it would turn out, but let's trade JJ & try VOYNOV in his place 3 5.00%
Not sure how it would turn out--Let's NOT trade JJ--DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!! 29 48.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-27-2011, 12:14 PM
triplcrown

vCash: 500
How well could VOYNOV replace JOHNSON next season?

If JJ were traded, it would open up a potential spot for VOYNOV (since they both play the right side).

With JJ gone, how well do you think VOYNOV could take JJ's place next season?

I say, if he has a rookie-of-the-year-candidate season, we'll be fine.

However, our coaching/scouting staff (who gave up on the likes of Moulson & Purcell) thinks
VOYNOV has remaining weaknesses on defense.
Could our exalted coaches/scouts be wrong...again?

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Capn Brown

Trade JJ!

Best case scenario is a package deal with Bernier & JJ going for Parise...... worst case is Stastny.

Do it, DL!!!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Next season? It would be a disaster. He is a rookie. One of the greatest misconceptions a manager can make would be trading a well-trained member of the team in hopes that a rookie who has never played a game before could replace him. It isn't a bright idea no matter how skilled the rookie. I love Voynov, and I hope he is given the chance, I think he could be that secondary offensive threat we are looking for on the back-end and his speed is amazing, but he is just a rookie. Doughty wasn't putting Norris numbers up during his rookie season, there is no reason to expect that Voynov would replace Johnson's production, or even come close to his point totals.

We have two supremely talented, young, #1 defensemen on our team. Just because we have a lot of #2's in line, doesn't make it any better of an idea to get rid of one of our #1's... Johnson and Doughty are cemented and groomed as the staple #1 pairing of this team for a very long time.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:29 PM
DeeMeck

Not even Doughty was a Calder candidate and he played pretty well.

The learning curve for defense is pretty rough, even moreso for puckmovers. He needs to be eased in like martinez. It takes years to adjust to how fast NHL forecheckers come at you.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Silly thread is silly

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:37 PM
TwoForRoughing
Building a Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Next season? It would be a disaster. He is a rookie. One of the greatest misconceptions a manager can make would be trading a well-trained member of the team in hopes that a rookie who has never played a game before could replace him. It isn't a bright idea no matter how skilled the rookie. I love Voynov, and I hope he is given the chance, I think he could be that secondary offensive threat we are looking for on the back-end and his speed is amazing, but he is just a rookie. Doughty wasn't putting Norris numbers up during his rookie season, there is no reason to expect that Voynov would replace Johnson's production, or even come close to his point totals.

We have two supremely talented, young, #1 defensemen on our team. Just because we have a lot of #2's in line, doesn't make it any better of an idea to get rid of one of our #1's... Johnson and Doughty are cemented and groomed as the staple #1 pairing of this team for a very long time.
Words of wisdom. Expecting Voynov, a rookie, to fill-in for a first pairing dman, is a joke. I'm a huge fan of Voynov and I think he'll be an awesome PMD, but he won't replace JJ, a defensemen we've been grooming the past 5+years. If we were to package dmen for a star, it wouldn't include JJ. It would be a slap in the face.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Quattro

SIGH - I hate offseason

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
SIGH - I hate offseason
Quoted for truth. It's like people throw out all hockey knowledge and sensibility in the off season. Trading JJ would be a disaster for many reasons (and I'm not even a HUGE JJ fan), too many to name. To even consider doing it just so Voynov MAY play in the NHL is insane. Voynov needs to make the team as the 6th or 7th guy as a rookie, not replace the #2 guy on the team.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:55 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

Are we calling him well-trained?

The way this would work is that Voynov would come on at the beginning of next season. Have a stellar seasons, and then next off-season we might trade JJ. NHL 11 is the only place where you have enough surety to do something like this. "Prospect is 86, non-prospect is 88..."

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:00 PM
triplcrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
SIGH - I hate offseason
I hear ya'.

It's so agonizing to go to those poll threads, open them up and read them.

Pure suffering.

It would be far easier to be a starving infant in Biafra surrounded by vultures, I'm sure.

Which Al Qaeda terrorist hiding in your closet is forcing you to do this and
making you suffer so much?

In my case, it's Al Zawahiri making me write these poll-threads, and he's got an AK47 to enforce it.

Who's forcing you?

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

If you think Jack's d-zone coverage is lacking, Voynov's awareness is even worse and he won't even play the body to compensate. Think Marc-Andre Bergeron but still with the potential to get better in his own zone, should he commit to doing so.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
ZJames

JJ just signed a new contract with a very reasonable cap hit, and its long term. JJ wants to be a part of this team, and he is improving every year. JJ aint going no where, and i think it would be very foolish to trade him now, especially so a rookie with NO nhl experience can take his spot. Remember, we want to get past the 1st round next year. I dont see us doing that if we have Voynov instead of JJ filling that roster spot.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:05 PM
onlyalad

Voynov should replace Harold or Drewiskie. The goal is to make the team better. You do that by keeping the top players and getting rid of the weak links. Yes I know it is fun to say JJ is the worse D-men on the team but out of JJ, DD44 and Harold who do you cut?

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
DeeMeck

It's pretty much a guarantee that Jack goes 22g-45a-67p +45 and wins the Norris if he gets traded (which won't happen).

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Pucknut50

If trading JJ and Bernier will net us Parise (If he agrees to an extension) I do that in a heartbeat.
Doughty
Scuderi
Mitchell
Greene
AMart
Voinov, Hickey, Muzzin, or any other D FA or trade

+ Parise makes the Kings a much better team.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:18 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Keep JJ. Trade DD for Taylor Hall.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Why do we trade Johnson who just signed long term ???

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
johnjm22

Shouldn't the thread title be: How well could MARTINEZ replace JOHNSON next season?

In the unlikely event JJ was traded, and another defense acquisition wasn't brought in, certainly Martinez would be next inline to take Johnson's spot, not Voynov.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
It's pretty much a guarantee that Jack goes 22g-45a-67p +45 and wins the Norris if he gets traded (which won't happen).
Seriously, I hesitate in trading Westgarth at this point, everybody seems to get so much better when the get traded

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Shouldn't the thread title be: How well could MARTINEZ replace JOHNSON next season?

In the unlikely event JJ was traded, and another defense acquisition wasn't brought in, certainly Martinez would be next inline to take Johnson's spot, not Voynov.
I wonder who is actually better right now... Martinez was a stud but, more so than a lot of us realize. JJ's got bucket loads more talent but, Martinez has better hockey IQ, I think...

That said, JJ is and will probably remain better, but it's a debate worth having.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Cruel11
IRemember&IDemand

Oh look, another "let's trade JJ' thread during the off season. This is getting old.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:49 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I'm trying to find the option in the poll that says "how about we leave Jack alone and promote Voynov and see what both of them do while in the lineup rather than have every young player coming up immediately replacing someone with NHL experience before we see what the young player can actually do while he's up here".

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:23 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Voynov should replace Harold or Drewiskie. The goal is to make the team better. You do that by keeping the top players and getting rid of the weak links. Yes I know it is fun to say JJ is the worse D-men on the team but out of JJ, DD44 and Harold who do you cut?
This. You have to work your way onto the roster, you won't be just granted a spot. Johnson has his flaws but for once in my life I'd like to see a kid come up with the Kings, develop at his own pace and finish at least the peak of his career in a Kings uniform. If you're going to trade somebody you start looking at the replaceable, veteran stay at home dmen in Greene, Scuderi and Mitchell to open up more ice time for Martinez who earned it.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:30 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Slava would be the equivalent of Jack when he was 20, minus the strength, physicallity and swagger. Jack is putting it all together, lets keep him as a king (and voynov too)

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Generally respectable but not elite prospects have a problem stepping into a better-than-average number 2 DMan's shoes so I voted disastrous fail just to play it safe.

Let's go through Parise's situation again. He's a restricted free agent. That means he's arbitration eligible. He has said he sees himself returning there. The Devils have the cap space to retain him even his asking price or his award is high.

Either he's re-signing with New Jersey for one year or multiple years. If he's re-signing for one year, why would a team give up an elite goaltending prospect AND a #1B/#2 defenseman with very good potential for him? That would be an insane price to play and I am a very big fan of Parise in general and in terms of his fit with the Kings.

05-28-2011, 02:16 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I am a strong supporter of VV and think that brought along correctly even as soon as next year could become a player who can become a top pairing PMD. He is a great young player but not in the same way that JJ is either offencively or defencively.

A working class Visnovsky offencively and an acceptable defencive dman in his own zone. I think that there are people who still see him as being the same player he was before last season and that in my opinion isn't the case. He has grown defencively and his understanding of his position has taken one giant leap forward too.

But to answer the question re JJ you simply could never ask VV to step in and cover JJ's spot at this point in VV's development.

Here is something to consider (at least for me anyways) and that is that we are exceptionally lucky to have this rare occasion where we have 2 defenceman who came into the league before their 24th bday and have done exceptional jobs at establishing themselves.

To imagine that we might actually have another young dman down on the farm is an extraordinary thing to do and also ill advised. The greater the talent that a young defenceman has doesn't always translate to an early entrance to the NHL but it does happen. That said I think we should temper our expectations of our emerging young defencemen with a little patience.

VV being an offencive minded two way dman is going to take longer than say Muzzin who plays a more balance game, same as with A Mart. It also takes stay at home dmen longer to develop for the same reason, by specializing in one discipline during their early development young professional dmen take more time then their balanced brethren to advance typically due to the fact that they need to learn the other end of the game.

It is why DD and JJ are such exceptional and amazing young players, they are not only already in the NHL but are both also in their own ways becoming young stars. Now that JJ is starting to develop into the type of player that we all wanted or expected him to become we need to hang onto him and start reaping the rewards of having one of the best young dmen in game on our team.

VV will be in my opinion a very good PMD but a step below JJ. A step above A Mart in his offencive game and about equal in his defencive coverage (though faster and with better balance).

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote