HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Detroit Gladiators Site

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 11:45 PM
RomanOksiuta

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RomanOksiuta
Detroit Gladiators Site

www.detroitgladiators.com

Nice logo for the Gladiators, and the site is looking good as well.

Old
07-16-2004, 11:55 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

They seem like the only team who's taking this whole "starting a new hockey league" thing seriously and look like the only respectable one out of the six so far.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
I can't believe they're playing in the Silverdome. I mean, looking at the proposed layout, they've got a freaking curtain on the one side of the rink.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass
I can't believe they're playing in the Silverdome. I mean, looking at the proposed layout, they've got a freaking curtain on the one side of the rink.
I was just about to say that...what a weird setup. It looks like they could use that place for an Opera or something...

Old
07-17-2004, 06:38 AM
zecke26

nice website and i like the logo as well. i think i would cheer for the gladiators. i'm interested in what happens there. i have no problem with another pro-league, because as long as bettman is commish of the NHL, he will destroy hockey. maybe the WHA is doing it better.

Old
07-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:

It's pretty much set up like it used to be when the Pistons played at the Silverdome. Plus with the Silverdome empty anything happening there is a good thing.

Plus there really wasn't another place to play in Detroit. I dont think Illitch would let them play at the Joe. Davidson wouldn't want them playing at the Palace. And i doubt Karmaous would have let them play at Compuware Arena.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:05 PM
RomanOksiuta

Send a message via AIM to RomanOksiuta
The Redwings actually said that they could play at the Joe if there was a lockout AND if the new team didn't try to sign any detroit players.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Skylab

interesting idea in drafting both of Paul's brothers. with a lockout they may entice him with the idea of all three brothers on the same line...

Old
07-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D44wha
The Redwings actually said that they could play at the Joe if there was a lockout AND if the new team didn't try to sign any detroit players.

I was unaware of that. I'm suprised the WHA didn't jump at that.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:40 PM
tripledekehockey

Send a message via ICQ to tripledekehockey Send a message via AIM to tripledekehockey
i agree that they seem like they are the only franchise taking this seriously

what a great site and logo -- i think i have found the team i want to root for

Old
07-18-2004, 12:40 PM
senskickass12

Their logo's the best looking I've seen so far the few others I've seen look ridiculous. However if all players were to sign with the team that drafted them I'd probably cheer for Toronto.

Old
07-18-2004, 05:21 PM
StevenintheATL

Looking at the proposed layout for the Silverdome got me thinking:

What about Ford Field? Ford Field hosted an NCAA basketball event last season, so why not make it suitable for hockey?

Old
07-19-2004, 12:18 AM
NucksFan16

The Silverdome?

Yea, I'm sure thats gonna happen

Old
07-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksFan16
The Silverdome?

Yea, I'm sure thats gonna happen
Actually, it looks like it will. Detroit seems to be the one WHA team that really has its act together.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:36 AM
Hart_House_Ca

omg. The detriot gladiators are going to play hockey in the silver dome?

Are they freakin mad? Thats like trying to play a hockey game in the skydome.

Playing pro hockey in a football arena will never work. The WHA needs to start small and build a small fan base. Going into the silver dome isn't the way to start, because it will look empty.

Old
07-19-2004, 04:40 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajet
Looking at the proposed layout for the Silverdome got me thinking:

What about Ford Field? Ford Field hosted an NCAA basketball event last season, so why not make it suitable for hockey?
because this would be going on right during the heart of the Football season.

The silverdome is empty.

Old
07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
PanthersFan5Mezei

Send a message via AIM to PanthersFan5Mezei Send a message via Yahoo to PanthersFan5Mezei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

Playing pro hockey in a football arena will never work. The WHA needs to start small and build a small fan base. Going into the silver dome isn't the way to start, because it will look empty.
As far as playing hockey in a football stadium goes, I'd like to remind you of the Michigan @ Michigan State Ice Hockey Game a few years back held at Spartan Stadium. Sure, it may look empty, but better to be able to say the arena only looks empty because of the 70,000+ seats rather than KNOWING it to be empty in a 17,000-seat arena.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Hart_House_Ca

That makes absolutely no sense. Better to say it looks empty in a football arena than a hockey arena. How is it better either or, to know both venues will be empty? I'm sure the owners will be happy with this very poor logic.

Let me remind you that the hockey game you talk about maybe happens once in a lifetime, was well promoted as cross town rivals, directed to college students who probably went because it had the homecoming atomosphere. I highly doubt 70,000 of those fans were hockey fans but college sports fans. They probably spent an entire year promoting and selling tickets.

Try holding a hockey game of two new teams, in a new league trying to find a hockey market and selling out for 76 games in a 70,000 seat arena. You will be lucky to sell half the tickets of a 17,000 hockey arena let a lone 70,000 people. Holding a hockey game in a 70,000 seat arena will be like going to a hockey practice where its nice and quiet, and people think the hockey game is a scrimage.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:

Lethbridge had a curtain may still have.
not uncommon when trying to hide the emptyness or something ugly. they could fill it with sponsorship opportunities as a way to generate extra revenue as well.

Old
07-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
They seem like the only team who's taking this whole "starting a new hockey league" thing seriously and look like the only respectable one out of the six so far.
Too bad for them, because they will never succeed against the Red Wings. Markets like Quebec and Halifax will however, I believe.

Old
07-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by D44wha
That's not a very good agreement, especially when the lockout could end half-way through the winter, and of course because the WHA wants to take some NHLers away, especially Detroit favorites.

Old
08-01-2004, 07:40 PM
TT

I would like to state that the curtain won't be the only thing on that side of the rink, they are hoping to erect temporary seating so it doesn't look totally stupid...

I think the Glads owners Senticore have approached this new franchise brilliantly and look like the only serious team yet...

Old
08-01-2004, 08:19 PM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

Well if memory serves me correctly the Tampa Bay Lightning played in a dome for a few years in St. Petersbugh, Florida while they were waiting for their new Arena to be built.

Old
08-02-2004, 04:40 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYzermanGreatest
Well if memory serves me correctly the Tampa Bay Lightning played in a dome for a few years in St. Petersbugh, Florida while they were waiting for their new Arena to be built.
I went to one of those games and sat in the upper bowl. Can't say that I'd recommend it to anybody in Detroit, worst game experience I've ever had.

Old
08-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Lethbridge had a curtain may still have.
not uncommon when trying to hide the emptyness or something ugly. they could fill it with sponsorship opportunities as a way to generate extra revenue as well.
If Lethbridge wanted to hide something ugly, the would put the curtain around the rink. <--still bitter about 97 WHL finals

Actually here in Seattle we kind of have that too but its on an endzone. Most small rinks tend to be horseshoes but they are usually behind the goal so as to have as many seats as possible.

Closed Thread