HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Foligno future?

Old
05-28-2011, 12:14 PM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Nick Foligno future?

He turns 24 in October and will be entering his 5th NHL season. If he is going to break out and be a legit top six forward I would think this would be the season he does it.

Do you think he has top six upside? Will he be the gritty player that maximizes his potential or will he try to be the finesse player that he is below average at?

Foligno has the ability I think to be a defensively responsible 20-25 goal scorer who throws a lot of hits playing a gritty game but he can't be playing that finesse game he tries to do because he's just not that good at it when it's his main focus.

He could be a cool support piece if he figures it out... like a Blake Comeau on the Islanders.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

I definitely see 20+ goals in him, whether next season or 2 years from now.

I think what a lot of people forget about him is the fact that he is still really young, younger than guys like greening, he still has a lot of room to grow, and I think next year will be his break out year.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

I see nothing more in Foligno other then that he is a solid third liner, who could fill in in a top 6 role if there is an injury.

Great guy to have on your team though, could be an important piece to have WHEN we are contenders again...

Last edited by Shanny: 05-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:27 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
I think next year will be his break out year.
We've been saying that for a couple years now

But I do see some upside in him. 20 goals is definitely not out of the question.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Afro Thunder*

He still needs to work on his skating, I had huge expectations from him this season and predicted that he will finally break out.

He had plenty of oppertunity in the top 2 lines but just doesn't have the vision, the hockey sense or the speed and the shot to score.

I think he is at most a great 3rd line winger that has decent amount of offense by scoring garbache goals or by beating crappy dman one on one with that move that he will try at least 5 times a game to do it, with it only succeding twice in the season.. 15-20 goals at most.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:30 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I dont think next year is make it or break it for him.
He's still young, he's the only established NHL who improved last year (statistically), he has shown he can be great in stretches, he is still learning to use his frame... Todd Bertuzzi took a long time to become a useful player, and while Foligno has no chance at being close to what Big Bert was, I'd say he is sorta a really poor mans version, in that he has some power forward tendencies but does have the hands to pull of some nice moves. I'd give him two years to prove himself. He will just be regaining confidence this year, and I think for him especially that will be huge. I don't love the kid, but I feel the need to protect him because he is so unfairly scapegoated.

"If you're built like a freight train, you can't drive around like a Volkswagen."

Just gonna throw that quote in there because I really like it. Brownie points to whoever can say who said it and who it was about, dont google it because thats not cool.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Still optimistic about him becoming a 40-50 point guy. Hopefully skipping the WC to focus on improving himself as a player will pay off.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
TSA0402

If it isn't a make or break season, I would say at least he has to show some decent progression from seasons of the past. Foligno has top 6 upside, but I don't see him getting any better than an ok 2nd liner with grit. Also, with the lack of forward options right now they really don't have much of choice.

TSA0402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I see him as an above average 3rd liner who has the potential to be a 2nd line 45-50 point man.

I don't want to trade him. I believe he is already an above average 3rd liner.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Tuna99

I love Foligno as a teamate, but I think it is safe to say he will never be a 2nd line LW, and as a 3rd line LW he isnt that shut down physical player you would want in that roll. I think Foligno is a player we should keep just because I still think he will score some huge goals for us when we get back into the playoffs.

17 goals, 21 assists this coming season.

BUT if the right offer comes along for him, I'd move him. I'd be sad to see him go, but if it were to securea top 6 winger who is legit, you'd have to do it.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Batali Crocs*

So far he's proven to be nothing but a 3rd line player. I understand he wants to be a top6 player but doing the same move as soon as he enters the zone (forehand,backhand trying to undress the D) time and time again and having it fail isn't a way of getting better as a player.

He's coming to the age that he needs to realize that maybe his calling in the NHL is a 3rd line player. That way he knows what his role is and can play it effectively.

If he comes to the conclusion that he'll end up a 3rd liner with spot duties on the second line he'll be a good player for us for a while, as long as his contract demands aren't too high.

If he continues trying to become a top6 player, his time with Ottawa is coming to an end if he doesn't get better in the next season or two.

His potential went from yearly 20 goal scorer to hitting 20 goals in a very good year. He really hasn't progressed in the last 2 years.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Do you think he has top six upside? Will he be the gritty player that maximizes his potential or will he try to be the finesse player that he is below average at?
No. I think Nick is an excellent third-liner, but I haven't seen an ability to elevate beyond that.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:56 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Fun fact: Nick Foligno is younger than Bobby Butler and Colin Greening. Yet, to many and almost all Sens fans the other two have a lot more upside and Foligno is expendable.

Either way he's established himself as a useful NHLer and can play on the third line and be effective.

He still has loads of time to break out offensively.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:04 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
20 goals, 45-50 points potential. Don't see much more from him. Not with the Sens anyways

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Fun fact: Nick Foligno is younger than Bobby Butler and Colin Greening. Yet, to many and almost all Sens fans the other two have a lot more upside and Foligno is expendable.
Guilty as charged. And I didn't know he was younger than Butler or Greening. I've seen what Foligno brings and quite frankly haven't been impressed. So far he's a third liner at best. Greening and Butler still have that new car smell to them. Next season will give everyone a better idea of their potential.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Still very young but he needs to be more consistent.

I don't see 50 points in him: he's isn't a good enough passer and doesn't have a great shot.

Solid third liner, the kind of guy that you win with, but not because of.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

This year actually was his best point wise, if he he can continue to improve next season I'd be very happy if he settles at a 40-45 point player. You need those aswell

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:25 PM
lafite

Like any remaining Senators, I'm curious to see how he will play after the toxic situation of the last few years. With all the new young talent will hopefully come enthusiasm, and no pressure of being an "elite team". Everyone should get a pass on the last few years until they prove they don't deserve it. If Foligno can get close to 20 goals, and dig in the corners, he will be more than qualified to play on the 2nd line of this team.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Nager

Meh he always does well in the preseason lighting it up then nothing during the season. He has scored some nice highlight goals, but other than that I don't think he will be more than a solid 3rd/ 2nd liner on a team like ours.

Nager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Even if he's not a 2nd liner, a 3rd liner who can put up around 40 points would be great.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:36 PM
CR15

Im always amused during the year how much flak gets thrown his way, sure the expectations were pretty high after the preseason but even when he doesn't put up points he brings energy some grit and he battles.

Would be more then content if he puts up 20g 25a while playing hard game in and game out.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
benjiv1

With a better coach, I don't see why Foligno can't reach 25/25. Considering he hit 14 goals, jumping lines every 2 games, on an injury riddled, bottom of the league in goal scoring team, 10+ more goals, plus 5 assists is definetly possible IMO.

Foligno has good hands and decent size, a coach with half a brain would place him on the PP in front of the net and watch as he shelves rebounds home.

I think when it's all said and done though, Foligno will be a very good third line winger, that plays the PP and is a leader on the team.

Also, Nick should do the Foligno jump everytime he scores, I think the crowd would dig it.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post

Either way he's established himself as a useful NHLer and can play on the third line and be effective.

He still has loads of time to break out offensively.
Thing is I've never really seen the tools that would give him the opportunity to really break out into an offensive player. Limited hockey sense, vision, and shooting ability.

He's a good player though and he takes care of the puck.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:14 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Coming In Hot

He hasn't impressed me much last season, but the previous season there was flashes of brilliance.

I don't see him ever being a consistent 2nd liner in this league. When he's playing on a hot streak he may look capable, but ultimately he's a great 3rd liner... which is never a bad thing to have in your bottom 6.

05-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Hale The Villain

He may have put up 34P in a down year for nearly every Ottawa Senator but he never impressed me one bit at any time this season. He's too slow and doesn't have the hands and offensive skill to be a top 6 forward, and clearly is not fit to play the classic grinders game. He tries far too many fancy moves, which never work. His defensive game is average. Everything about his game is mediocre. He doesn't have the skill to play in the top 6 and I really don't like him in a bottom 6 role. We have a dozen potential bottom 6ers in our prospect pool who play more of a grinder game than Nick. He's the classic "not skilled enough to be a top 6 forward and not good enough defensively to be a great bottom 6er." His future on this team is fading with the emergence of players like Greening, Butler and Condra. All three who showed more than Foligno did all year in their 20 game stints with the big club.

I'd look to package him at the draft to move our 21st closer to the top 10. Players like Greening, Condra and Butler may be older but they have improved tremendously over the past 2-3 years while Foligno has stagnated. I like their potential more at this point.

21st + Foligno to move up to around 15
15th + NSH 3rd 2012 to move up to around 12
6th + CHI 2nd to move up to 4th
Select Couturier and Bartschi

Would be my dream draft.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote