HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are We Broke?

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 07:29 PM
KingJarl

vCash: 500
Are We Broke?

CANADIENS LACKING ROOM TO SIGN UFA FORWARD?

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey reports the Canadiens payroll presently sits at $27.28 million, excluding the salaries of Marcel Hossa, Ron Hainsey and Francis Beauchemin. Hickey notes Habs GM Bob Gainey still must re-sign Sheldon Souray, Michael Ryder, Cristobal Huet, Jim Dowd, Radek Bonk and Richard Zednik, meaning the club not only won't make the league's $31 million salary cap (for lack of a better phrase), but may not be able to afford bringing in an "impact winger".

Spector's Note: That's why I think there will be squabbles between the owners during the upcoming CBA talks, as there will be many clubs who'll find it difficult to get down to that magical $31 million number.

Pulled this from spectorshockey.net. I had another post below but the info never showed. So whaddya think?

pEAce

Old
07-16-2004, 07:34 PM
db23

If Gainey made the offer to Kovalev a few weeks ago he must have something in mind to deal with the cap.

Old
07-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Our payroll last season was around 40 million. We're not broke.

As for the 31 million dollar salary cap, it's a pipe dream. If there is a cap, which I doubt, it'll be closer to 40 million.

Old
07-16-2004, 07:40 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino

As for the 31 million dollar salary cap, it's a pipe dream. If there is a cap, which I doubt, it'll be closer to 40 million.
I'd have to agree. Given our payroll now, it doesn't look like we can be seriously competitive for a star UFA at 31 million.

Old
07-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino

I second that.

Between 40-45 mill id say is fair, and reasonalbe, not just for us, but for every team in the nhl. Most team will likely hover below that however, as many as of right no do. It wont let the 65 mill payroll teams (toronto, rangers, detriot, etc) get out of hand, and keep the playing field fair! Although, lately, low salary teams have done quite well...........

Old
07-16-2004, 07:58 PM
eddy

Ya dought the cap(if there is one) will be at 31 million, and I'm pretty sure were not broke either.

Old
07-16-2004, 09:54 PM
StanleyCH25

I think some of you forget that some of our current roster players are being overpaid for what they bring. Brisebois' contract at $4M or so could probably stand to have at least $1.5M shaved off. Theodore's $6M (is it $6m this year?) could probably be shaved by $1.5M. I'm sure there are a few others earning slightly over their worth. Then again, I do agree that $31M seems a bit too hard of a cap to hit. If anything, the cap would probably need to be closer to $35M - $40M or so.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Corey

I don't think an immediate cap of 31 million is feasible. Either it would have to start some time in the future or each team would have to be allowed two exemptions (naturally, their highest paid players). Finally, I don't think the NHLPA would ever agree to a salary cap. They might accept a luxury tax, but never a cap.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:52 PM
RE-HABS

With the re-signings in Toronto the Leafs obviously must think there won't be a cap.

If a cap were to take place it will take a couple of years to implament, how can teams like the Wings, Leafs and others drop 20-30 million in salary with the majority of your team signed to guaranteed contracts and RFA's still needed to be signed?

A cap won't be an over night deal.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:17 AM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
A cap won't be an over night deal.
No doubt. Let's just hope it gets done before the start of October.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Raider917

vCash: 179
where is he getting the 31 million dollar figure from? do the owners want it that low?

Old
07-17-2004, 04:50 AM
leafaholix*

There will never be a cap.

They'll pull something like the MLB and have a luxury tax. This would allow teams like Toronto to spend $60,000,000, pay the tax, and still make a profit.

Old
07-17-2004, 07:48 AM
pepchew

Let's not forget that in all likelihood the new CBA will include a wage rollback. The players offered to accept 5 percent a few months back. I for one hope that it turns out to be more than that. The court in BC recently imposed a 15 percent rollback for health care workers. These people were not making much to start with, yet they perform an invaluable service to society. Surely a similar figure wouldn't be unreasonable for NHL players.

Old
07-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I second that.

Between 40-45 mill id say is fair, and reasonalbe, not just for us, but for every team in the nhl. Most team will likely hover below that however, as many as of right no do. It wont let the 65 mill payroll teams (toronto, rangers, detriot, etc) get out of hand, and keep the playing field fair! Although, lately, low salary teams have done quite well...........
The thing with "caps" is all teams have to spend a mininum. Thats the other reason a cap system will never go through. Imagine telling the Pens they have to spend 40 million or be fined

Old
07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Garnet

Salary Cap

I played golf with a NHLPA member in Oshawa and we chatted about a few things. 31 million is a low ball number. The owner don't expect to get that but statrting at 31 they may end up at about 38-45 million we figured. I don't think a salary cap is the best idea personally.

I would like to see a luxury tax of 50% of the amount of the salary, paid to the league. Luxury tax starts at $42 million. At $50 million the tax increases to 75%. so if a team has a salary of $65 million the taxes would be an additional 14.25M back to the league. I very strong luxury tax can work. Must include all bonues.

#2. No garnarteed contacts over a 1 year peroid. The player can sign for 5 years 50M but the team can cut him after one year and the player then becmes an UFA. Doesn't matter about age either.

#3. A set contract for young players for 5 years No bonuses. 3 year contacts at entry to the league (to help the player) at the start. 1st rd pick makes 1.3M, 2rd 1M, 3rd 800,000 and drop by $50,000 for every pick. After the 3 year contract the player is qualified for the finally years at %10 per year till UFA. So the 1st rd pick after five years in the league makes 1.573M a season.

#4. drop the UFA status to at least 29 years old.

I beleive this would get the contracts back in a little better order. Let the players have there pay day at their UFA time but pay them less till they get there.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:21 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
I played golf with a NHLPA member in Oshawa and we chatted about a few things. 31 million is a low ball number. The owner don't expect to get that but statrting at 31 they may end up at about 38-45 million we figured. I don't think a salary cap is the best idea personally.

I would like to see a luxury tax of 50% of the amount of the salary, paid to the league. Luxury tax starts at $42 million. At $50 million the tax increases to 75%. so if a team has a salary of $65 million the taxes would be an additional 14.25M back to the league. I very strong luxury tax can work. Must include all bonues.

#2. No garnarteed contacts over a 1 year peroid. The player can sign for 5 years 50M but the team can cut him after one year and the player then becmes an UFA. Doesn't matter about age either.

#3. A set contract for young players for 5 years No bonuses. 3 year contacts at entry to the league (to help the player) at the start. 1st rd pick makes 1.3M, 2rd 1M, 3rd 800,000 and drop by $50,000 for every pick. After the 3 year contract the player is qualified for the finally years at %10 per year till UFA. So the 1st rd pick after five years in the league makes 1.573M a season.

#4. drop the UFA status to at least 29 years old.

I beleive this would get the contracts back in a little better order. Let the players have there pay day at their UFA time but pay them less till they get there.
I agree.

A cap with a ceiling of 40 million max should be in place, and teams could only spend a minimum of 20 million.

Free agency should come at 28 and 8 years pro. Allowing a player who comes in the league at 18 to become a UFA at 26. A player between the ages of 26-28 would be just entering their prime allowing them to make more money with their team or elsewhere, a bigger bargaining point for them than that at 30 or 10 years pro.

Have contracts like the NFL, not guaranteed. Make the players be accountable to their salary. If a player signs a heavy contract like 50 millon over 5 years and they aren't performing after year 2 the owner can walk away and the player becomes a UFA, that is better for the owners. Rangers would have walked away from Holik, Caps would have walked away from Jagr and the Stars probably would have walked away from Guerin too. Not having to trade them and still have to pay a players salary is much more attractive than doing the trade and being on the hook for 5 million or so of a players deal.

A rookie cap that doesn't have outragious bonuses attached to them. A bonus structure must be set in place too.

Maybe introduce revenue sharing like MLB. Teams like Toronto and other big markets would hate to see a small market club like Edmonton or the Wild come into town with a lower salary, a better team and also take a piece of the gate if their record is worse and their team salary is way higher. It could make other teams become more fiscally responsible.

A league where there is a balance in salary across the board would make a better balanced and more competative league as a whole with teams probably having a better attendance record, better marketiing capabilites and with the potential of attracting more fans and a better TV deal south of the border.

Not only should things like this be addressed, but the NHL also has to implament new rules like the tag up offside, no touch icing and moving the goal lines back and maybe dropping the red line too.

A more exciting NHL and money smart NHL will allow it to make bigger steps into the future where they can make money and raise their cap in the future too.

Closed Thread