HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gomez to Islanders

Old
05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
habsrule22

vCash: 500
Gomez to Islanders

With the retirement of Doug Weight, the islanders have a void at center and in leadership. Several hab players express how good a leader Gomez is and could fill that void. Gomez has played for both the rangers and devil, so there would be a attractiveness there. Is it a possibility and if so what could the return be.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

No thanks.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

In all the unlikeness of a possible Gomez trade, NYI is one of the most likely destination. But it's still almost of an impossible scenario.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:11 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
With the retirement of Doug Weight, the islanders have a void at center and in leadership. Several hab players express how good a leader Gomez is and could fill that void. Gomez has played for both the rangers and devil, so there would be a attractiveness there. Is it a possibility and if so what could the return be.
I'm curious, what exactly makes that enticing from the Isles' perspective? I can't think of a good reason off the top of my head.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
it is possible, but only if you take DiPietro in return, as with Cammalieri, The Isles have absolutely no interest in taking on your salary cap issues..... you got yourself in that mess, youll need to get yourself out of it.

Why is it that Habs fans are bothering us with these ridiculous proposals, What makes you think we want to save you from your salary cap troubles?

no to Cammy, No to Gomez, no to Hamrlik or Spacek, the reason we have cap room is that we dont take on other peoples trash

Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 05-28-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:12 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Gomez isn't a very coveted piece to acquire. I highly doubt the Isles have any interest in paying a borderline #2 centerman $17.5 million in salary over the next 3 seasons, since cap hit is nearly irrelevant. And even then, his inflated salary/cap hit could affect the Isles re-signing of players like Bailey, Tavares, Hamonic, and the rest of their young players when their contracts are up in the next few seasons.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:15 PM
thejew09

The only reason the Isles would do this is to stay above the Cap floor. Do you seriously see Wang taking on a $7mil cap hit?

thejew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
it is possible, but only if you take DiPietro in return, as with Cammalieri, The Isles have absolutely no interest in taking on your salary cap issues..... you got yourself in that mess, youll need to get yourself out of it.
Stop spewing your BS around, no one has any issues with Cammalleri's cap hit. It isn't even remotely comparable to Gomez. Your act is really tiresome.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
NYI is one of the most likely destination.
Disagree. Wang isn't interested in paying big salaries right now. The NYI are probably as unlikely a destination as there is.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Stop spewing your BS around, no one has any issues with Cammalleri's cap hit. It isn't even remotely comparable to Gomez. Your act is really tiresome.
no your act is, nobody wants any of the Habs overpaid players. you signed them and now youre stuck with them, try offering price or Subban or pacioretty and people will be receptive, but all youre offering is your overpaid junk

Old
05-28-2011, 04:31 PM
habsrule22

I don t think Cammy is going anywhere, Hammer is a UFA, he is free to go where he wants. Spacek is in the last year of his contract, he maybe traded at some point, more if another team runs into injury problems. Gomez only gets traded if there someone else coming in (like a Richards). He is a good leader and playmaker. I was simply inquiring wether there was a possibility and if so what the return might be.

Old
05-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Disagree. Wang isn't interested in paying big salaries right now. The NYI are probably as unlikely a destination as there is.
Also, with Tavares emerging as a legit #1 and Nielsen showing good chemistry with Grabner, I don't think the Islanders are looking for a top 6 center anyway. So even if they are looking to add a big contract, Gomez still probably would not be of interest.

Last edited by Seph: 05-28-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
no your act is, nobody wants any of the Habs overpaid players. you signed them and now youre stuck with them, try offering price or Subban or pacioretty and people will be receptive, but all youre offering is your overpaid junk
I think you're being hyperbolic when it comes to Cammaleri, at least. He's not junk by any stretch. His contract is something to consider, and I doubt the NYI would be interested. But, you may want to stop calling good players junk. It weakens your point.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
I get it now!

Cammalleri has slept with your girlfriend! I would be angry as hell if I were you. My sincerest apologies.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:38 PM
DeVries*

After getting the Wiz for a 2nd rounder, I'm pretty sure Gauthier can deal Gomez to the NYI. Snow will be as great as Milbury

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:42 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Is this the same Doug Weight who over the last 3 seasons has played a grand total of 107 games?
Yeah,he's leaving a real void

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Is this the same Doug Weight who over the last 3 seasons has played a grand total of 107 games?
Yeah,he's leaving a real void
Well, seeing how Isles have been performing in recent years, even when injuries are taken into account, it certainly looks like a void isn't being filled somewhere, whether that was Weight's duty to fill it or not.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:53 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

First of all, comparisons to legit proposals involving known playoff performer and possibly injury prone Cammalleri have no bearing on a discussion of Scott Gomez. Obviously, many teams would make an offer for Mike if he were one of the players on the trading block.

That said, nobody wants to be handcuffed to the bad contract of Scott Gomez. The reason is that the same things that make him maybe okay for the Habs are negated by that huge contract, and we're one of those teams that doesn't have a problem spending to the cap. We haven't buried him in the minors because we think he has some value to the team, and money isn't really an object. (At least, management must believe that his contributions/intangibles (?) outweigh whatever they are going to get from the free market.

But this year we come to signing Markov and Wisniewski, and that has folk in a panic. But there is no reason to panic; management still has the ability to buyout the contract, stuff him in the minors, or have him killed by a group of increasingly sneaky foreign assassins who all have no hair on their body and even less respect for the laws of nature.

No team wants Scott Gomez. You can't make him sound attractive if he's going to play like he did last year. If he were making 2M, he would be tradeable. If this were pre-cap, he would be tradeable. Instead, the only way you are going to move him is to send value with him.

Who is of value on our team and tradeable? The rights to Markov, although most would agree it would be better to have him. Andrei Kostitsyn, although his value is generally low (and would probably remain low even if he had a solid season.) Desharnais, although I find his value to us is much higher than to another team. Weber, who these boards have shown isn't particularly interesting at this point. Pouliot? We have a variety of "prospects" that have somewhat busted and that might have value to a team looking at Guillaume Latendresse or Sergei Kostitsyn (or even Max Lapierre and Chris Higgins this playoffs!) but that value doesn't offset Scott Gomez much less get us anything back.

The point is, our development is poor and Scott Gomez can't be traded for nothing, and he's more useful to us than having to add something small to get nothing. So keep him or bury him.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I think you're being hyperbolic when it comes to Cammaleri, at least. He's not junk by any stretch. His contract is something to consider, and I doubt the NYI would be interested. But, you may want to stop calling good players junk. It weakens your point.
youre right hes not junk but you'll notice the common thread, teams always come in here offering their overpaid Salary cap issues acting like they are doing us a favor, simply because we have cap space,

They treat us like we're village idiots who dont know that Contracts in a capped environment are a major factor, and Cammy and Gomez are seriously overpaid

its insulting, and the least they can do is acknowledge that in their proposals, Cammy for a top 5 pick.....come on

Old
05-28-2011, 04:56 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0246 View Post
After getting the Wiz for a 2nd rounder, I'm pretty sure Gauthier can deal Gomez to the NYI. Snow will be as great as Milbury
Wiz was an impending ufa,being outplayed by 1st and 2nd yr defensemen:Hamonic and +MacDonald) .

At the same time,he was looking for a hefty raise as a ufa.Seeing that the habs don't mind overpaying guys like Hamrlik and Gomez,I'm guessing they'll be fine overpaying Wiz this summer.

Old
05-28-2011, 04:57 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
youre right hes not junk but you'll notice the common thread, teams always come in here offering their overpaid Salary cap issues acting like they are doing us a favor, simply because we have cap space,

They treat us like we're village idiots who dont know that Contracts in a capped environment are a major factor, and Cammy and Gomez are seriously overpaid

its insulting, and the least they can do is acknowledge that in their proposals, Cammy for a top 5 pick.....come on
Well, the thrust of that trade was: trade out of the elite portion of the draft and get Mike Cammalleri. (Because we were sending back our seventeenth.) So the idea was the Islanders get somebody to compete now in addition to a worse prospect and the Habs get a much better prospect. The value isn't brilliant, but the way this should be sold to Isles fans is not an insult to your really good contract signings of late, but rather an assertion that your team looks ready to go and could be just a scoring sniper away. (Although obviously goaltending would be the bigger request in my mind.)

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 05:01 PM
habsrule22

minus the cap hit, to say that Gomez wouldn t make the islander a better team would be wrong. His leadership would be a big help to Tavares.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post
Well, the thrust of that trade was: trade out of the elite portion of the draft and get Mike Cammalleri. (Because we were sending back our seventeenth.) So the idea was the Islanders get somebody to compete now in addition to a worse prospect and the Habs get a much better prospect. The value isn't brilliant, but the way this should be sold to Isles fans is not an insult to your really good contract signings of late, but rather an assertion that your team looks ready to go and could be just a scoring sniper away. (Although obviously goaltending would be the bigger request in my mind.)
blues22 made a great point in a Cammalleri to LI thread,that a Habs fan started.
He pointed out that the isles had 5 players outscore Cammalleri and not one came close to making $6m per.

I think their combined salaries were probably about $7.5m:Moulson,Tavares,Parentua,Grabner and Comeau.

Isles wouldn't be in the mix for either Cammalleri or Gomez.They'd want better bang for their buck.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Go Wings

To Islanders:

Gomez and 1st round pick

To New Jersey:

Bag of pucks

Now that's a fair deal.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post
First of all, comparisons to legit proposals involving known playoff performer and possibly injury prone Cammalleri have no bearing on a discussion of Scott Gomez. Obviously, many teams would make an offer for Mike if he were one of the players on the trading block.

That said, nobody wants to be handcuffed to the bad contract of Scott Gomez. The reason is that the same things that make him maybe okay for the Habs are negated by that huge contract, and we're one of those teams that doesn't have a problem spending to the cap. We haven't buried him in the minors because we think he has some value to the team, and money isn't really an object. (At least, management must believe that his contributions/intangibles (?) outweigh whatever they are going to get from the free market.

But this year we come to signing Markov and Wisniewski, and that has folk in a panic. But there is no reason to panic; management still has the ability to buyout the contract, stuff him in the minors, or have him killed by a group of increasingly sneaky foreign assassins who all have no hair on their body and even less respect for the laws of nature.

No team wants Scott Gomez. You can't make him sound attractive if he's going to play like he did last year. If he were making 2M, he would be tradeable. If this were pre-cap, he would be tradeable. Instead, the only way you are going to move him is to send value with him.

Who is of value on our team and tradeable? The rights to Markov, although most would agree it would be better to have him. Andrei Kostitsyn, although his value is generally low (and would probably remain low even if he had a solid season.) Desharnais, although I find his value to us is much higher than to another team. Weber, who these boards have shown isn't particularly interesting at this point. Pouliot? We have a variety of "prospects" that have somewhat busted and that might have value to a team looking at Guillaume Latendresse or Sergei Kostitsyn (or even Max Lapierre and Chris Higgins this playoffs!) but that value doesn't offset Scott Gomez much less get us anything back.

The point is, our development is poor and Scott Gomez can't be traded for nothing, and he's more useful to us than having to add something small to get nothing. So keep him or bury him.
thank you, thank you, thank you, finally a Habs fan with a clue,, I salute you sir, you are the first one to openly admit that the salary cap impacts the value in the trade of some of your players.

you are right cammy has value, but really only when a team can send contracts back, not like the previous proposal where the Isles were asked to give up a top 5 pick and take on 6M in cap space and send not a dime back

You sire i tip my cap to, because you, didnt treat us like we are imbeciles and you are doing us a favor, your whole post is excellent and reasonable