HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

3rd Line Center to STL

Old
05-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
We dont need a 3rd line center but some people want one. In my view Oshie is our 3rd line center.

Perron - Berglund - Stewart
McDonald - Backes - D'Agostini
Steen - Oshie - FA

Thats wasting Oshie IMO. Plus, he is more well suited as a winger in the NHL IMO.

I don't want Dags in our top six.

We need depth and to get better at faceoffs, having Oshie play center does not help us in those ways.

I do however agree that we do not need a #3 center as we can make do with Oshie, but it is less than ideal, thus the reason for this thread.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:06 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
If a player like T.J. Oshie was available maybe the Kings could put together a package with a player like Jarret Stoll?
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but no.

Quote:
Then again, the Blues would be smart to just keep all of their assets and just sign a guy like Eric Belanger as an unrestricted free agent instead.
IMO Belanger is definitely an option for the Blues and I could see them making a play for him. Depending on what sort of anticipated demand there might be for his services and his anticipated asking price ($ and years), it might be worth it to the organization to trade a pick/lower prospect combination for a cheaper option just to ensure they fill the need they want to fill with some measure of cost certainty.

If Burke was willing to move Bozak for a deal like the one mentioned previously mentioned (as in composition, if not exact value), I would be all over it as the Blues GM.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I honestly think we would be fine with
Perron Berglund Stewart
McDonald Backes Oshie
Steen McRea D'Aogstini
With another year of experience, I would be ok with McRae centering the third line. However, I think you ruin the kid by rushing him. He has too many things he needs work on to be ready by next year.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
The Blues spread the ES minutes between the top three lines very evenly, and Oshie will probably end up the top forward in TOI by the end of the season (certainly top 3) after his PP and PK time is added in. Minutes aren't a problem.

Nor is he really being "limited" by the quality of his linemates, especially once Tarasenko comes over. The Blues players haven't developed to the point where they have a lot of top line guys (yet), but it's no stretch of the imagination to think that they could have 8 or 9 legitimate top 6 guys. I think most fans envision them rolling the equivalent of three #2 lines next year with an energy/checking line sprinkled in here and there.

Also, FYI, McDonald won't be playing center for the Blues...he hasn't for the vast majority of his time here...and Oshie does many things well but playing LW isn't one of them. Unless the Blues acquire a top line center somehow, Backes and Berglund are pretty much entrenched in those roles. Sprinkle in McDonald, Steen, and (hopefully) Perron on the LW with Stewart, D'Agostini, and Crombeen on the RW and Oshie either at C or RW depending on what happens this offseason and that's pretty much the Blues for 2012.
I have to disagree, if the Blues had a healthy Perron and Tarasenko was making the jump, then the third line would see comparable minutes to the second line. However, with Perron far from a lock and even if he is healthy, I would wager that this year is going to be a slight step backwards due to how long he was out and our lack of depth across the board, I think this season we role with two lines, unless we get a 3rd line center.

If Stewart, Dags and Crombeen are our top 3 RWs then I am worried.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 05-29-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old
05-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The Blues are not looking to move any roster players or high end prospects for a 3rd line center. 2nd round picks or midlevel prospects is what they would be willing to give. IMO the Blues have no need to trade for a 3rd line center. I would be perfectly happy starting the season with McRae or Sobotka as our 3rd line center to start the season. I would be fine with playing someone else as a 4th line center with Crombeen and Reaves.
Then we end up with less skill and depth than last year. Not interested in reliving that fiasco.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but no.

IMO Belanger is definitely an option for the Blues and I could see them making a play for him. Depending on what sort of anticipated demand there might be for his services and his anticipated asking price ($ and years), it might be worth it to the organization to trade a pick/lower prospect combination for a cheaper option just to ensure they fill the need they want to fill with some measure of cost certainty.

If Burke was willing to move Bozak for a deal like the one mentioned previously mentioned (as in composition, if not exact value), I would be all over it as the Blues GM.
Both of those options seem pretty darn good.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
If Steward, Dags and Crombeen are our top 3 RWs then I am worried.
Agreed, Crombeen should stay on the 4th line and Dags is best served on the 3rd line, while being able to fill in on the top 2 lines when needed.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:47 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
I have to disagree, if the Blues had a healthy Perron and Tarasenko was making the jump, then the third line would see comparable minutes to the second line. However, with Perron far from a lock and even if he is healthy, I would wager that this year is going to be a slight step backwards due to how long he was out and our lack of depth across the board, I think this season we role with two lines, unless we get a 3rd line center.
True. A lot depends on Perron and what happens during the offseason. The season after this one would be the much more likely candidate for that scenario.

Quote:
If Stewart, Dags and Crombeen are our top 3 RWs then I am worried.
For me, it's all kind of relative. If Perron returns, I think our top 3 LWs stack up very well comparted to most playoff caliber teams. Same can be said for our centers if those are Backes, Berglund, and Oshie. Or our RWers if those are Stewart, Oshie, and D'Agostini.

Basically, I think we're a solid top 9 guy from having our top 3 lines being as good as, or better than, all but a handful of teams in the league. Even if we don't get that guy, it's still a playoff caliber top 9 IMO as long as Perron is healthy.

If Perron doesn't return, I think the Blues are basically a bubble-playoff team and I don't think there's much they can realistically do to change that with regards to bringing in outside help. (If a few of their current players take some significant steps forward in their development and nobody really regresses, that could certainly improve their outlook.) Given that, I think a good year for the organization would include a solid draft, resigning all the key RFAs to good deals, staying relatively healthy, making the playoffs (with the expectation of quietly exiting in the first round), and then adding Tarasenko and Perron for the next year.

Obviously, there's plenty of room for reasonable disagreement on all this.

Old
05-29-2011, 08:16 PM
rlaw88
You've been Oshied!

Personally, I really like Jarrett Stoll. If the price were right, he's someone I would be really interested in. If not, Brad Richardson might get a look from Stl.

Outside of LA, there are several other players I wish the Blues would look at: Dave Bolland, Tim Connolly, David Steckel, Jerred Smithson, and Darren Helm are all guys that turn my eye. As for who's available and the asking price for each, I'm not sure. Three of these five are also within the Blues division, which might make obtaining them that much harder.

rlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

McClement for Shattenkirk?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
McClement for Shattenkirk?
You can have Carlo

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:01 PM
philkessel81*

tyler bozak from the leafs is a perfect example of the criteria the OP listed as 3rd line centre material. Would bozak and one of the firsts be high enough to get oshie ?

philkessel81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:25 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkessel81 View Post
tyler bozak from the leafs is a perfect example of the criteria the OP listed as 3rd line centre material. Would bozak and one of the firsts be high enough to get oshie ?
Oshie wont be moved for anything other than an upgrade

Old
05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
True. A lot depends on Perron and what happens during the offseason. The season after this one would be the much more likely candidate for that scenario.

For me, it's all kind of relative. If Perron returns, I think our top 3 LWs stack up very well comparted to most playoff caliber teams. Same can be said for our centers if those are Backes, Berglund, and Oshie. Or our RWers if those are Stewart, Oshie, and D'Agostini.

Basically, I think we're a solid top 9 guy from having our top 3 lines being as good as, or better than, all but a handful of teams in the league. Even if we don't get that guy, it's still a playoff caliber top 9 IMO as long as Perron is healthy.

If Perron doesn't return, I think the Blues are basically a bubble-playoff team and I don't think there's much they can realistically do to change that with regards to bringing in outside help. (If a few of their current players take some significant steps forward in their development and nobody really regresses, that could certainly improve their outlook.) Given that, I think a good year for the organization would include a solid draft, resigning all the key RFAs to good deals, staying relatively healthy, making the playoffs (with the expectation of quietly exiting in the first round), and then adding Tarasenko and Perron for the next year.

Obviously, there's plenty of room for reasonable disagreement on all this.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I guess the part that really keeps me from being happy with Oshie at center is having D'agostini on the second line. He played great last year, but I still see him as a third liner and 2nd line when we need a filler due to injury. The LW position is pretty set even if Perron absent, because Steen is more than top six capable and Sobotka could be a solid third line LWer. The fourth line could easily be a Peoria guy or vet we pickup in FA.

I posted this elsewhere, but for example.....

With a healthy Perron:

Macdonald - Backes - Oshie
Steen - Belanger (UFA) - D'Agostini
Porter - Sobotka - Crombeen
Reaves

Without a healthy Perron:

Steen - Berglund - Stewart
Sobotka - Belanger (UFA) - D'Agostini
Porter - McRae - Crombeen
Reaves

I would be much more comfortable with that scenario.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:18 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
I pretty much agree with all of this. I guess the part that really keeps me from being happy with Oshie at center is having D'agostini on the second line. He played great last year, but I still see him as a third liner and 2nd line when we need a filler due to injury. The LW position is pretty set even if Perron absent, because Steen is more than top six capable and Sobotka could be a solid third line LWer. The fourth line could easily be a Peoria guy or vet we pickup in FA.

I posted this elsewhere, but for example.....

With a healthy Perron:

Steen - Belanger (UFA) - D'Agostini
Porter - Sobotka - Crombeen
Reaves

Without a healthy Perron:

Steen - Berglund - Stewart
Sobotka - Belanger (UFA) - D'Agostini
Porter - McRae - Crombeen
Reaves

I would be much more comfortable with that scenario.
It looks good to me. Reasonable, and the Blues should be able to compete with that for sure.

My feelings on McRae making the big squad next year are approximately the same as yours for D'Agostini having a top 6 role right off the bat. It's far from ideal (for different reasons, obviously), but still workable in a pinch.

As an aside, it's amazing the sort of impact that adding Perron and Tarasenko to the roster has. Honestly, if we can add Perron for next year, Tarasenko the year after that, and Schwartz the year after that we could easily go through a 3+ year stretch where we don't even need to think about adding a forward from outside the system to our team while watching the full 4 lines get better each and every year. All we need to do is stay healthy and keep the guys we have around. That's pretty incredible to me.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Belanger would be nice for our third line until McRae is ready. I wouldn't be opposed to Bozak either if the Leafs wanted Beukeboom like someone previously mentioned.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester 88 View Post
Currently, we need a top 6 LW. Maybe something cenetered around Boyle and a prospect + for Chris Stewart?

Brian Boyle, Mats Zuccarello, 1st round pick for Chris Stewart, Brock Beukeboome

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Lonewolfe2015

We'll trade you McClement back.

3rd line centers tend to be found via free agency pretty easily I thought, why not just throw a small bonus on top of their contract towards someone to entice them your way?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:39 PM
northernKing

Best and cheapest option may be Eric Belanger or Handzus as UFA. Handzus did a great job mentoring younger guys like Simmonds in LA.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:55 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
You can have Carlo
Never thought Colaiacovo was a bad player, just injury prone...not that I have been playing close attention to him recently nor have interest.

McClement really is a waste on the team tbqh. I hope the Avs can deal him off for a 2nd rounder down the line to someone (somehow) -- not necessarily the Blues -- but I expect they will simply let him walk in 2012.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Bathcat

I didn't know Handzus is an upcoming UFA, but I hope the Blues make a pitch for him.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:02 AM
stlzach
AP27 = Future Norris

We have 10 of those exact players... what we need is a guy that can find twine lol

stlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Never thought Colaiacovo was a bad player, just injury prone...not that I have been playing close attention to him recently nor have interest.

McClement really is a waste on the team tbqh. I hope the Avs can deal him off for a 2nd rounder down the line to someone (somehow) -- not necessarily the Blues -- but I expect they will simply let him walk in 2012.

Most Blues fans might disagree with me but im just not a Carlo fan, sure he can chip in offensively but he is just awful defensively IMO.

And I would love to have McClement back, id trade you one of our 2nds for him no questions asked

Old
05-30-2011, 01:28 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

Quote:
Most Blues fans might disagree with me but im just not a Carlo fan, sure he can chip in offensively but he is just awful defensively IMO.

And I would love to have McClement back, id trade you one of our 2nds for him no questions asked
I dont know that he's awful defensively, definetly not great defensively but serviceable. My problem with him is, every third game he's hurt again

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
stlzach
AP27 = Future Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBlues View Post
I dont know that he's awful defensively, definetly not great defensively but serviceable. My problem with him is, every third game he's hurt again
Yea that's my problem with Carlo.

I miss Silent Jay too, so good in the circle, but again, we addressed our true needs and got rid of our surplus (defensive-minded centers) and got us a goal scorer (stewart). I personally think Shattenkirk will become more than EJ as well.

stlzach is offline   Reply With Quote