HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What would you do if the Rangers moved?

View Poll Results: What would you do if the Rangers relocated?
I'm done with the nhl, screw Bettman!!!! 7 20.00%
Follow one of the other metro-area nhl teams. 2 5.71%
Follow a non metro-area nhl team. 5 14.29%
Continue to follow the Rangers franchise wherever they relocate to. 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
averyrule

vCash: 500
What would you do if the Rangers moved?

Obviously this is a damn near impossible scenario. Because of the market that the Rangers play in and being an origional six team, even if they were sold there is no way in hell the new owner would even consider relocating them. But just for the sake of argument what would you do?

I've spent some time on the Atlanta (now Winnipeg) boards and a lot of those fans are pretty much done with the nhl for now. Some will follow other teams. And a few of them will continue to follow the team in Winnipeg.

So if the Rangers, by some twist of fate actually relocated, what would you do? Would you start to follow one of the other metro-area teams, or any other nhl team? Would you stop following the nhl? Would you continue to follow the team wherever they relocate to? After the initial greiving process I would probably start following the Isles. I wouldn't necessarily become a fan, but the Coliseum is so close to my house so I would definitely start going to games there just to see some nhl action.

EDIT: People keep commenting that this will never happen. I know that this will never happen, this whole scenario is purely hypothetical. The team already plays in The Worlds Most Famous Arena, where the hell would you even move them to?

Last edited by averyrule: 06-23-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
You need another option: I'd still follow NHL hockey, but I don't think I'd be able to be a true fan of some other team.

There would just be teams I like and teams I dislike, but I wouldn't support any one team.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:16 AM
GAGLine

I would continue to follow the Rangers franchise, but honestly, there's maybe a .00000001% chance of them moving. If they did move, it wouldn't be Bettman's fault. You know he would do everything he could to keep the Rangers in NY. Hell, I doubt the board of governers would even approve a Rangers move. Where would they go that they'd be in a better market? The islanders and devils will never be bigger than the Rangers in this market.

I've seen some atlanta fans blaming Bettman for the team moving to winnipeg, but it wasn't his fault that there were no buyers willing to keep the team in atlanta. Phoenix at least has buyers willing to keep the team there, so Bettman is doing his best to accomodate them because growing the sport in large-market, non-hockey areas is better for league growth than sticking a team in a small market where everyone is already a fan.

League revenues went from 2.7 billion last year to 3 billion this year. That's 9% growth in one year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

For me it would depend on where they relocated to, and whether they get re-named or not. If they moved to somewhere ****** like Kansas City then I would go follow a different "Like-able" team, probably Tampa Bay

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
acapps10

I'd follow the organization no matter where they went.

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
averyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I would continue to follow the Rangers franchise, but honestly, there's maybe a .00000001% chance of them moving. If they did move, it wouldn't be Bettman's fault. You know he would do everything he could to keep the Rangers in NY. Hell, I doubt the board of governers would even approve a Rangers move. Where would they go that they'd be in a better market? The islanders and devils will never be bigger than the Rangers in this market.

I've seen some atlanta fans blaming Bettman for the team moving to winnipeg, but it wasn't his fault that there were no buyers willing to keep the team in atlanta. Phoenix at least has buyers willing to keep the team there, so Bettman is doing his best to accomodate them because growing the sport in large-market, non-hockey areas is better for league growth than sticking a team in a small market where everyone is already a fan.

League revenues went from 2.7 billion last year to 3 billion this year. That's 9% growth in one year.
I agree that this would never actually happen. The point of this thread is to see how other Blueshirt fans would react if they were in the same situation as Atlanta.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by acapps10 View Post
I'd follow the organization no matter where they went.
same and I would never buy the new teams stuff.

I'd root for them in my Rangers gear.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
averyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
You need another option: I'd still follow NHL hockey, but I don't think I'd be able to be a true fan of some other team.

There would just be teams I like and teams I dislike, but I wouldn't support any one team.
How do I add another option to the poll? I'm slightly retarded, can't seem to figure it out.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Ih8theislanders

Murder/suicide

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
How do I add another option to the poll? I'm slightly retarded, can't seem to figure it out.
Ah, sorry, I'm just one of those jerks who makes demands but offers no solutions. I've never tried to set up a poll so I have no idea..!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I'd still follow the team, but this is an almost impossible situation.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Get much better grades in school

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Not damned near impossible - 100% impossible.
Only way the rangers go anywhere would be if the league folded.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:43 AM
terrrrrible

I'd continue to root for the franchise.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
bogans

Its difficult to trust any of the answers here, because everybody is answering the question with the knowledge in their head that the ONLY way the Rangers were to ever leave NYC and MSG would be if the league folded. As much as we try to put ourselves in the Thrashers fans (really?) shoes, its virtually impossible to do.

I think the honest answer is it all depends upon how and why the move were to happen. If it happened to Atlanta because the fans and city did not support the team, I would continue rooting for the franchise as one of their true fans. Its not the Trashers fault (though you could argue they could've done more to keep their stars) that the town never really supported them from the start. Its well known that Atlanta is a TERRIBLE sports town for all sports, not just hockey. But if it were the case of LA Raiders that the owner just picked up and moved the team to greener pastures at a whim, no I would not support the franchise.

All that said, if I didn't continue to support the franchise I would certainly still watch hockey and find another squad I loved and could love for many years going forward. LA Kings, anyone??

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:56 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Great post. It really isn't Bettman's fault that Atlanta had no one suited to buy the Thrashers -- it's always popular to blame the guy for everything, though.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Get much better grades in school
^^^^^THIS lol

I barely go to games as it is, so I'd just keep following them wherever they went.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Rangers cant move. who would take over as the devils biggest rival? the Islanders? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

MountainGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:17 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Obviously this is a damn near impossible scenario. Because of the market that the Rangers play in and being an origional six team, even if they were sold there is no way in hell the new owner would even consider relocating them. But just for the sake of argument what would you do?

I've spent some time on the Atlanta (now Winnipeg) boards and a lot of those fans are pretty much done with the nhl for now. Some will follow other teams. And a few of them will continue to follow the team in Winnipeg.

So if the Rangers, by some twist of fate actually relocated, what would you do? Would you start to follow one of the other metro-area teams, or any other nhl team? Would you stop following the nhl? Would you continue to follow the team wherever they relocate to? After the initial greiving process I would probably start following the Isles. I wouldn't necessarily become a fan, but the Coliseum is so close to my house so I would definitely start going to games there just to see some nhl action.

EDIT: People keep commenting that this will never happen. I know that this will never happen, this whole scenario is purely hypothetical. The team already plays in The Worlds Most Famous Arena, where the hell would you even move them to?
It's much easier know to continue to follow your team than it used to be, with Center Ice, streaming games it's much easier to follow your team if they move or you move. As someone who moved away from NYC 20 years ago, I can tell you I have rarely missed a game in the past 11 years since I got Center Ice. The Atlanta scenario is much different though since they weren't there all that long.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If I moved, I'd still follow the Rangers, so if the Rangers moved, I'd still follow them.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd just become a fan of the NHL, rather than a specific team.

I'd be devastated, hate the franchise for leaving, and be rooting for the Islanders within the decade.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

There's a higher chance of the NHL folding then the rangers moving

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I'd become a fan of a team like Colorado, Minnesota, Anaheim or Carolina. I like those teams so I could see myself being a fan of one.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

It will never happen.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
ck20

I'd follow the team where ever they went, while probably also picking another team being tied for #1. Can't really say though if I'd stick with the "new Rangers" for long or just migrate to my other team. After the whole "I love this team no matter what happens or where they go!" phase wears off and I'd have no real ties to the city or team outside of the individual players that would indefinitely be gone within a few seasons, there would be no reason to follow them any more closely than any other team. It'd be like following the Blues or something right now for me, just another out-of-state team.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote