HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson

Old
05-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
PHI 1st and 3rd? Just a guess I dont know his real value. But Id love to have him paired with Schenn.
See above about how picks do not interest us.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyder1 View Post
Jordan Caron straight up?
This is interesting (though I think we'd try to add to Franson to get more). I know he put up some good numbers in juniors. How did he look in his games with the big club this year?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Wonder if Filatov would have any value towards Franson.
This is the team that kicked out Raptor Jesus due to lack of a two-way game. Filatov, for all his improvement in that area, would probably survive all of ten minutes down there.

He has improved, tho. It would have been five minutes.

I'm not sure if we've got someone that we can realistically spare. Calvert would probably be ideal for the Preds, but I really want to keep him. Maybe Mayorov, as he's got a two-way game coming together, but his scoring is suffering (and we'd have to add in any case).

Basically, the sort of scoring forwards they would hope to get are poor-man's versions of Umberger and/or Nash. Think of those types.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:29 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This is interesting (though I think we'd try to add to Franson to get more). I know he put up some good numbers in juniors. How did he look in his games with the big club this year?
Other than Suter, Franson was the best offensive Dman the Preds had against Vancouver this post season.
He's got a good shot, smart awareness and is very sound postionally. What I also found is that he is very good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

And to the Heatley salary comment, with a trip to the 2nd round for the first time, having 6 home games in the playoffs, I'd figure 18 million over 3 years wouldn't be such a problem. Nashville is on the verge of being a contending team and need the offensive boost.
Since Heater could be had cheaper than say Jason Spezza/Evgeni Malkin I figured if Nashville went for someone, itd be Heater. The Fisher connection, Weber an Olympic team mate. It seemed fitting to me

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
And to the Heatley salary comment, with a trip to the 2nd round for the first time, having 6 home games in the playoffs, I'd figure 18 million over 3 years wouldn't be such a problem. Nashville is on the verge of being a contending team and need the offensive boost.
Since Heater could be had cheaper than say Jason Spezza/Evgeni Malkin I figured if Nashville went for someone, itd be Heater. The Fisher connection, Weber an Olympic team mate. It seemed fitting to me
I wouldn't mind Heatley, but I don't think Poile likes him at all. He called him out when he requested a trade, doesn't seem to be the Preds type.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Honestly, if any of the Sharks Big Three are targeted by the Preds at all, I'd assume Marleau would be looked at before Thornton or Heatley.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
MidgetMyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Honestly, if any of the Sharks Big Three are targeted by the Preds at all, I'd assume Marleau would be looked at before Thornton or Heatley.
Franson, Erat, and a third for Marleau?

MidgetMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetMyers View Post
I'm not sure if they have any use for Erat or not. Would need folks who actually follow the Sharks closely to weigh in.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Even as a Nuck fan I believe Marleau has better value than this.
With Marleau I'd expect at the very minimum the pick would start n end with a 1st. Franson is a good defenseman but not totally proven, fills a SJS need, but I'd think San Jose would ask for one of Wilson/Geoffrion.
I understand Nashville most likely has to send some cap back, how bout Dumont?

Franson, Wilson, Dumont and 2012 1st for Pat Marleau Torrey Mitchell

Old
05-30-2011, 03:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Even as a Nuck fan I believe Marleau has better value than this.
With Marleau I'd expect at the very minimum the pick would start n end with a 1st. Franson is a good defenseman but not totally proven, fills a SJS need, but I'd think San Jose would ask for one of Wilson/Geoffrion.
I understand Nashville most likely has to send some cap back, how bout Dumont?

Franson, Wilson, Dumont and 2012 1st for Pat Marleau Torrey Mitchell
8.3 million of Marleau and Mitchell

3.5 for Dumont
.8 for Franson
.9 for Wilson

That's 3.1 in cash for Nashville to take. I would prefer to change Dumont to Lombardi (If Lombardi is done) and remove Mitchell. Nashville has enough Checking forward.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
A first actually doesn't interest Nashville much, I don't think, because they're in win-now mode.

I wonder, and I've seen this bandied about on both sides, if some sort of blockbuster involving Cammelleri could be worked out? I don't think Nashville would be worried about the money per year, but how many years does he have left?

Obviously this wouldn't be a one-for-one deal, but I wonder if there's a workable framework?
Cammalleri is signed for another three seasons at six million per. So I imagine his acquisition could hamper your ability to resign Weber. Regardless, while I would be interested to deal Cammalleri, the cost would be somewhat high because Montreal lacks offense. We would need something of a blockbuster to entertain moving players in an area we are already weak in. Basically, a high level forward prospect who is NHL ready, and not a centerman, would have to be coming back with Franson, possibly more.

That is not to undermine Franson's value or overrate Cammalleri. Montreal merely cannot trade away offense unless they are blown away.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Cammalleri is signed for another three seasons at six million per. So I imagine his acquisition could hamper your ability to resign Weber. Regardless, while I would be interested to deal Cammalleri, the cost would be somewhat high because Montreal lacks offense. We would need something of a blockbuster to entertain moving players in an area we are already weak in. Basically, a high level forward prospect who is NHL ready, and not a centerman, would have to be coming back with Franson, possibly more.

That is not to undermine Franson's value or overrate Cammalleri. Montreal merely cannot trade away offense unless they are blown away.
What if we send Erat back? His six million in real salary for the coming season wouldn't hurt the Canadiens much considering his cap hit is only $4.5mil, and it would allow us to take on Cam's contract. In two seasons with Dumont definitely off of the books, some of our prospects being closer to cracking the roster on cheap contracts, the cap raising (meaning the midpoint rises), and Legwand's salary going down from this point on we should be able to afford all four of Weber, Suter, Rinne, and Cammalleri.

Erat is a pretty good two way forward who can skate and is VERY strong on the puck. Only problem is he has a NMC. Also not really sure how big of an upgrade it would be if we have to give up Erat.

Last edited by TMI: 05-30-2011 at 06:22 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
TooMuchMan

Depending on the fruits of our labor at the 2011 Draft, I'm sure the Bruins could come up with a package that might pique the Preds' interest. Unfortunately, we're relatively short on high-end offensive talent, but how about a package like

One of Caron/Knight/Spooner
One of Arniel/Sauve/Hamill
Johnny Boychuk
and one of Peverley/Kelly

Fairly certain this is a significant overpayment, but since we can't fill Nashville's needs exactly, we would need to do so to get Franson. thoughts?

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
Depending on the fruits of our labor at the 2011 Draft, I'm sure the Bruins could come up with a package that might pique the Preds' interest. Unfortunately, we're relatively short on high-end offensive talent, but how about a package like

One of Caron/Knight/Spooner
One of Arniel/Sauve/Hamill
Johnny Boychuk
and one of Peverley/Kelly

Fairly certain this is a significant overpayment, but since we can't fill Nashville's needs exactly, we would need to do so to get Franson. thoughts?
I said Caron straight up, and I thought that was relatively fair, maybe with us adding a pick... I think this is overkill.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Marleau has a NMC for sure (unlike Heatley, where there are some questions), his wife is from San Jose, and he has spent his entire career with the Sharks. Despite some complaints you see on these boards, Marleau is a fan favorite.

Add all that up and you might as well not even bother asking for Marleau. It's not happening. I fully expect he will retire as a Shark.

The only one of the big 3 that there is even a potential of moving is Heatley, and that's simply due to 2 issues: 1) There is some doubt as whether Heatley's NMC carried over to the Sharks, or if it did, whether it might have some windows in it where it lapses. 2) Heatley may not like having been dropped to the 2nd and 3rd lines and may agree to a trade where he will return to a more prominent role.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyder1 View Post
I said Caron straight up, and I thought that was relatively fair, maybe with us adding a pick... I think this is overkill.
I don't deny that this is overkill, but given the fact that Nashville wants offensive help Now and the Bruins can't afford to give them any true top-6 help, we would have to overpay for a developing puck-moving stud like Franson.

Caron alone wont do it. A fully-developed Caron of 3 years from now might be enough, but right now, even as the most certain of Boston's current prospects, he's not what the Preds want or need. To get Franson, without a top-6 stud, we need to blow them away -- maybe not as much as I've previously suggested, but certainly more than J. Caron and a pick.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
GaryU

Franson's a nice player, but........he doesn't use his size, isn't that good in his zone & offensively hasn't put up the numbers...no offense, but you guys are asking for a lot for what's still potential...

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm not sure if they have any use for Erat or not. Would need folks who actually follow the Sharks closely to weigh in.
no prob.

offensive d-men like Franson would be good adds for SJ, just not at the expense of Marleau. he has a lot of value IMO. Erat and Heatley in a trade would be something more interesting. what's the story with his games played totals? injury prone or just coincidence?

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
no prob.

offensive d-men like Franson would be good adds for SJ, just not at the expense of Marleau. he has a lot of value IMO. Erat and Heatley in a trade would be something more interesting. what's the story with his games played totals? injury prone or just coincidence?
Injury prone, but it's no one thing. There's been some freak stuff (Shea Weber broke his leg with a slapshot, for example).

Put it this way...a healthy season for Erat, as in all 82 games, he would have easily lead the Preds in scoring...think 25-27 goals, 45 or so assists. I think that if not for the injuries, Erat could be, COULD be, a star player. not a superstar by any means, but a defensively responsible, offensively gifted guy with intangibles. It's just about staying healthy for Marty.

For all of those reasons, I think it would be a bit of a step back for the Predators to lose him. Honestly, and it pains me to say this, since he's one of my favorite players and I think he catches a lot of undue crap from both our fans and fans of others, but the Preds could probably more afford to lose David Legwand, especially with bringing in a very similar player in Mike Fisher.

But, with all that said, there's a LOT of money coming off the books this summer for the Preds. Sullivan's departure alone should more than pay for Weber's raise. I expect Dumont will be gone either by anyone-who'll-take-him trade or by buyout, so that's another 4 million. O'Brien and his 1.6 million are gone. Ward likely won't be back if he's looking for anything more than 2 million.

There's definitely some wiggle room for the Preds. Jeff Cogen recently said that they're in the process of finding another investor, who, combined with the increased revenues over the last season, would help them put, quote, "another 25 or so million into the team, over the next 2 or 3 years." I think that a short-term contract...no more than 2 or 3 years..even at a high dollar...might not deter the Preds the way it might have in the past...so guys like Cammelleri, even Heatley...could be options, although a previous poster mentioned correctly that Poile didn't seem impressed with Heatley's handling of the Ottawa situation, and with a big emphasis on "character," id on't know that he's a fit...but...who knows...maybe they can look past it if they feel he can come in and get back to 40-45 goal form.

MTL fans...any interest in a swap around AK46 and Franson? BFC is sure to swoop in with his, "Poile doesn't unite brothers, he breaks them up" line, but I don't think their issue in MTL was playing on the same team, and I do think that they could do some nice things on a line together. SK should probably have had another 15 assists over the course of the season if his linemates ever had any inkling that he could get the puck to them at seemingly impossible angles. With a little bit of brother-chemistry, it could be a good fit.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Mgd31

Parise/Palmieri for Suter/Franson

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:58 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
8.3 million of Marleau and Mitchell

3.5 for Dumont
.8 for Franson
.9 for Wilson

That's 3.1 in cash for Nashville to take. I would prefer to change Dumont to Lombardi (If Lombardi is done) and remove Mitchell. Nashville has enough Checking forward.
Is there any articles to base this on? I haven't heard much about Lombardi's recovery because I don't follow the Preds as closely, I just have interest after a solid series they played against my Canucks.

San Jose does have a history of burying contracts out, but my understanding is a Contending team doesn't need cap space taken up by players who aren't on the roster. So I don't think a buy out would be in order, and he'd only be on LTIR for 2 years or what he has left on the contract.

I woulda suggested Erat, but Marty is a solid forward for the Preds and definitely has the potential to be their game breaker most of the time, which is why I didn't think Preds' fans would wanna give him up.
Ideally I'm sure most would rather Lombo come back healthy and play a full season.

Old
05-31-2011, 07:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Is there any articles to base this on? I haven't heard much about Lombardi's recovery because I don't follow the Preds as closely, I just have interest after a solid series they played against my Canucks.
David Poile commenting in his state of the team address stating thast he wasn't sure if Lombardi will be playing next year.

Old
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Anchor Town

Nashville wants a top 6 center? How bout something around Filppula for Franson

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:08 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Nashville wants a top 6 center? How bout something around Filppula for Franson
Oh wow, that made me think.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
token grinder

I would find it hard to believe nashville os looking for a cente with fisher and legwand entrenched there, with lombardi looming, with smithson, spaling, geoffrion there to center the 4th line, and in blake's case, maybe the third, and o'reilly a rfa.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote