HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Chicago Wolves -- New NHL Affiliate

Old
05-29-2011, 10:51 PM
ChicagoWolves1

vCash: 500
Chicago Wolves -- New NHL Affiliate

The question here in Chicago is what will the Wolves do now. I have heard the following:

1. Vancouver the logical match as they need an AHL team. However, Vancouver is the mortal enemy of the Blackhawks, and many Chicagoans hate the Canucks.

2. Blackhawks-Wolves hookup, with Vancouver going with Rockford. Rockford though would become completely irrelevant in the Chicago area, and Wolves would become even worse with Rockford's horror show from last season.

3. Wolves go it alone as an independent. Interesting but I do not think this is cost effective given today's AHL.

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Canuckommunist

Not sure Vancouver would be interested in the Wolves given their preference for veterans-first.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:44 AM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckommunist View Post
Not sure Vancouver would be interested in the Wolves given their preference for veterans-first.
That's why Manitoba paid Jason Krog's NHL salary a couple of years ago to the tune of $750,000. In fact was quite the conversation on here where it happened.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Manitoba and Chicago sort of operated in the same way, really how much would this hurt the Wolves then?

I see Independent being a real option. I think the costs would be somewhere in the 3 million range, though(thats what i've heard in the past)

It's funny how everytime Andrews talks(like in the 2nd intermission Saturday Night)that all is fine with the league, hes so annoying to listen to sometimes. It's not that hard of a hunch to know some teams are struggling.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Manitoba and Chicago sort of operated in the same way, really how much would this hurt the Wolves then?

I see Independent being a real option. I think the costs would be somewhere in the 3 million range, though(thats what i've heard in the past)

It's funny how everytime Andrews talks(like in the 2nd intermission Saturday Night)that all is fine with the league, hes so annoying to listen to sometimes. It's not that hard of a hunch to know some teams are struggling.
The guy's an idiot.

Old
05-30-2011, 01:46 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
The guy's an idiot.
I also think despite his "everythings peachy" mindset he ruined the league. When he came in theyre was 14 teasms, now there is 30. WAY TOO BIG. You can say "well the NHL has 30" Yeah but....to compensate for having less teams didn't they have dual affiliations? I have an idea...not sure it would work but make it a 15 team league and every team has a dual affiliation(meaning 2 NHL parents, 1 from each conference) I honestly think it would be better than having 30 teams where however many our NHL owned(like Albany) saving the fans some misery. Springfield only has a team because its where the league's headquarters are. Some of these teams could go to either the ECHL or CHL. I know it's a drop in quality I suppose but would you rather see a potentially good team or a team thats NHL owned where the incentive to try and break even and win is less of an issue.

Old
05-30-2011, 06:06 PM
axecrew

Quote:
I also think despite his "everythings peachy" mindset he ruined the league. When he came in theyre was 14 teasms, now there is 30. WAY TOO BIG. You can say "well the NHL has 30" Yeah but....to compensate for having less teams didn't they have dual affiliations? I have an idea...not sure it would work but make it a 15 team league and every team has a dual affiliation(meaning 2 NHL parents, 1 from each conference) I honestly think it would be better than having 30 teams where however many our NHL owned(like Albany) saving the fans some misery. Springfield only has a team because its where the league's headquarters are. Some of these teams could go to either the ECHL or CHL. I know it's a drop in quality I suppose but would you rather see a potentially good team or a team thats NHL owned where the incentive to try and break even and win is less of an issue.
Problem with this idea is that you have conflicts arrising from it. You can't serve two masters equally....at some point one of the NHL teams is going to complain their prospects aren't getting the time that the other team's is. Not too mention what if your 2 NHL partners run totally different systems? Do you run a 3rd and have all the players trying to adapt everytime they go up or down?

Old
05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
royals119

Plus, how do you get enough playing time for goalies? A guy like Jon Quick in LA started in the ECHL because there were four goalies ahead of him in the Kings pipeline (plus Bernier in juniors). If every AHL team had two NHL partners, there would be one less goaltender spot for each NHL team, plus every AHL team would have to split the games more or less evenly between each affiliate.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:15 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Sure but goalie to an extent is a fickle deal like a pitcher in baseball. One year you could be an NHL backup(or starter) and the next you could be a starter in the AHL. There are only so few untouchable guranteed for a job goalies in this league. Guys can go from the ECHL to the NHL within a season(not really gunna happen with another position)

I saw Quick a couple of times in the ECHL in person and I saw him get lit up, I wasn't so sure what the Kings liked about the guy. I think it was more of they just meeded a goalie. Whatever happened to Ersberg? Quite a few thought he'd be the guy until the "sure thing" in Bernier was ready to turn pro. I didn't follow Quick's journey that much but i'm guessing one of these times Manchester called him up in needs of either a backup goalie or a guy to start in a time of need and he made the most of it. LA then probably gave him a shot because back then they weren't that good and had nothing to lose, I mean kudos to him, I guess anything can happen.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Here is the response from Wolves' GM Wendell Young yesterday...

Quote:
Wolves General Manager Wendell Young said Tuesday an announcement should be made early next week regarding a new affiliate. He said the Wolves have been contacted by six franchises and the list has been narrowed to three "contenders."

"With this Manitoba thing, it’s going to be a domino effect with everyone jockeying for cities very quickly," Young said. "We need to figure out which one is best for us and to make sure we mesh with the NHL team."
Link
So I am sure that they will be looking for a similar level of autonomy and input on the roster.

06-02-2011, 05:12 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Well, Manitoba and Chicago always seemed to fit peoples list of the "exception to the rule" teams....so I guiess in a sense, the rich get richer here...possibly. Wonder if guys like your Jaffray would come to Chicago, he certainly didn't wanna go to the armpit known as Syracuse...

Old
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I think you can cancel the Blackhawks idea. According to Wikipedia on the Rockford Icehogs UHL page they signed a 10 year affiliation agreement with the Blackhawks, meaning(I think anyway)6 years remain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockford_IceHogs_(UHL)

Quote:
The UHL IceHogs were replaced by an AHL version for the 2007–08 season. The MetroCentre purchased the IceHogs name and logo from the prior ownership group and applied them to the new AHL franchise. [1] The team has also signed a 10-year player development contract with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Old
06-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Big Z Man 1990

Quote:
I think you can cancel the Blackhawks idea. According to Wikipedia on the Rockford Icehogs UHL page they signed a 10 year affiliation agreement with the Blackhawks, meaning(I think anyway)6 years remain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockford_IceHogs_(UHL)
Maybe when that expires...the Hawks and Wolves could hook up

Big Z Man 1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

The word in Vancouver is that they are trying to convince the Flames to affiliate with Chicago, so that the Canucks could affiliate with Abbotsford.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

I know the Rochester Americans would LOVE to get out from under the Panthers... actually I believe they are planning on going independent?

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I know the Rochester Americans would LOVE to get out from under the Panthers... actually I believe they are planning on going independent?
There are other threads here that indicated that the Sabres will purchase the Amerks, leaving Portland looking for another parent club.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
The word in Vancouver is that they are trying to convince the Flames to affiliate with Chicago, so that the Canucks could affiliate with Abbotsford.
HAHA oh my.....if that happens I think that would be worth a chuckle or 2. The flames are an AWFUL affiliate and another(former team)in Illinois can attest to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
There are other threads here that indicated that the Sabres will purchase the Amerks, leaving Portland looking for another parent club.
Is this why Hutchie has gone silent?!

Old
06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Well, this is interesting.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6657695

Playfair leaving the Flames organization for the Yotes associate coach job.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
And threads where the new coach of the Panthers is lobbying the team to affiliate with Portland, where he was head coach for years.

Quote:
HAHA oh my.....if that happens I think that would be worth a chuckle or 2. The flames are an AWFUL affiliate and another (former team)in Illinois can attest to that.

Is this why Hutchie has gone silent?!
I doubt the Wolves will sell half their team to the Flames. The Flames currently own half of Abbotsford as they did Omaha and QC, etc..

Are you complaining about the Hutchie silence? I like when hutchie posts...

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Neugs

Well I know Abbotsford makes sense...the fans there hate the Calgary Flames and therefore why would they go watch their AHL affiliates? (its like putting the Senators farm team in a suburb of Toronto). Also I thought it was fairly solid that Rochester is going to become Buffalo's team again?

Neugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:29 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
Well I know Abbotsford makes sense...the fans there hate the Calgary Flames and therefore why would they go watch their AHL affiliates? (its like putting the Senators farm team in a suburb of Toronto). Also I thought it was fairly solid that Rochester is going to become Buffalo's team again?
That's life in the minor leagues. Just look at the Atlantic Division, that entire division is in Bruins country.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Sounds like the whole Thrashers affiliation was a cranky bunch, Gwinnett takes a jab at Chicago:

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/spo...123697549.html

Quote:
In many, many respects it was a great affiliation,” Chapman said. “They were good people to work with. But the system wasn’t working for us.

“We felt like we were kind of getting caught in a tug-of-war between (AHL) Chicago and Atlanta. Just a philosophical tug-of-war about development and everything else. We just hadn’t been receiving the playing prospects.”

Not only that, but last year in particular, the Gladiators’ roster was ravaged by call-ups. Players head coach Jeff Pyle signed during the offseason — like Tim Miller, Ryan Garbutt and Derek Nesbitt — rightly moved up the next level and left serious holes in Gwinnett’s lineup.

“They’re taking our players ahead of their players,” Chapman said. “On top of that, you’ve got issues where players were sitting around in Chicago.”
Yeah except Nesbitt was called up by Peoria if i recall. Get over it Chapman, if you want a real complaint about this come to Elmira or Reading, your whining over this is minimal compared to what they see. Besides, Nesbitt is too good for the ECHL.

Quote:
In pursuing a new NHL affiliate, the Gladiators have been searching for a team that understands a symbiotic relationship benefits all levels of the system.

“We know what our place in the world is,” said Chapman, who is also chairman of the ECHL’s board of governors. “We know we’re supposed to develop players and to move them up and we think we’ve always done that.”

Chapman would like to see the league, which has improved drastically in the last decade, become even younger with rosters consisting primarily of first- and second-year pros.

“Unfortunately, not every team in our league buys into that philosophy,” Chapman said. “I think we can win with that philosophy, but you can’t get pillaged by your affiliates, your character guys really have to be your character guys and then the prospects that you get have to be good. They can’t be the throw-aways or the mistakes or whatever.

“That’s what we’re trying to do with our affiliation. We’ve told people, we understand what we do, but if you sign a kid and it ends up being a huge mistake and the kid has a bad attitude, send him to the Central Hockey League. Don’t send him to us. Because we don’t need him. We need good players whose goal is to do their best.”
Yeah, lets **** off minor league hockey fans even more by barely having any vets, infact...lets go a step further, ban all vets from AA and AHL Hockey, send em all to the FHL and SPHL.

Telling an AHL team where to send their players is hilarious, you can't tell the guy above you what to do, the world doesn't work like that. I'm sure some guy, whos gunna be ****** enough about getting sent to the ECHL will really wanna report to the CHL.

Quote:
Chapman thinks that is a viable relationship and there are some teams out there that fit the bill. He mentioned Anaheim in addition to the two Stanley Cup finalists.

“A big key is consistently getting solid players and the mentality of those players is they like being here because they want to move up and they want to be here for the right reasons,” Pyle said. “It’s a really, really good league now.
Anahiem? They kept guys on last place Syracuse instead of helping out our playoff chances, yeah....they are swell. They know talent, i won't dispute that, but them and Syracuse are brutal at business.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Just confirming pretty much what many people expected...

Quote:
theshaves Jason shaver
What has been assumed by many is now official the @Chicago_Wolves & Vancouver Canucks have signed a 2 year affiliation agreement

Twitter Link
and

Quote:
theshaves Jason shaver
GM Wendell Young said that the Wolves & Canucks will work together to find a new head coach

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Boo-urns

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Alpine