HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames/Bruins

Old
05-30-2011, 12:41 AM
spot

vCash: 500
Flames/Bruins

Was thinking what if Boston comes close but does not win the cup this year, Say they lose 4-2 to the Canucks. Would they consider going "all in" for a retry next year? I would also like to see the Flames start planning a future. (make the BOA interesting)

So: To Boston Iginla +Cgy 1st overall (13th?)

To Calgary Seguin + Ryder + Tor 1st overall (9th?)

Maybe throw in Backlund if this proposal is to lopsided?

Adding Iggy to the Bruins could prove lethal for the next 4yrs. Bruins would be stacked with elite powerforwards

Last edited by spot: 05-30-2011 at 01:02 AM.
spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:42 AM
NinthSpoke06

Good one.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:43 AM
SlickM32

I'll spare you. Iginla is not worth Seguin straight up let alone plus.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Xelstyle

You'll get flamed by Boston fans for even considering to move Seguin for Iginla...

The issue of whether Calgary should rebuild or not aside, Boston will consider moving some salary back to Calgary as Ryder is a UFA. They might want to send somebody like Chris Kelly?

I'd like to say the value is there, but Boston won't even think about it.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:48 AM
SlickM32

Iginla = 1st, prospect, 1-2 roster players.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:52 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Was thinking what if Boston comes close but does not win the cup this year, Say they lose 4-2 to the Canucks. Would they consider going "all in" for a retry next year? I would also like to see the Flames start planning a future. (make the BOA interesting)

To Calgary Seguin + Ryder + Tor 1st overall (7th?)

Adding Iggy to the Bruins could prove lethal for the next 4yrs. Bruins would be stacked with elite powerforwards
Ryder is an UFA after the season, the Flames could just sign him and even as young and unproven as Seguin is, I don't think the Bruins would or should trade him for Iginla and Calgary's 1st nevermind adding TO's 1st.

Teams hold on to young players on entry level contracts who have the kind of potential Seguin does.

It sure would be nice to add Iggy, but that price is way too high.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Hampe
The Hampster

Don't see why Boston has a need to trade Seguin, let alone trade down in the Draft.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:57 AM
TooMuchMan

Quote:

To Calgary Seguin + Ryder + Tor 1st overall (7th?)

As much as I'd love to see Iginla in a Bruins' uniform, anyone expecting Seguin in any proposal needs to get their head checked. Boston doesn't trade Seguin unless there's a massive, massive overpayment. Backlund doens't even come close to making it worth it for Boston. Not gonna happen.

BTW, Boston's pick is 9th.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:01 AM
spot

Thanks to those providing feedback. I assumed the Bruins are in a win now window. I thought that maybe adding a 40 goal scoring power forward/best captain in the game could greatly improve their chances. Sounds like sacraficing Seguin to do it is just to steep a price to pay. Is not the main goal winning a stanley cup?

Old
05-30-2011, 01:02 AM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
As much as I'd love to see Iginla in a Bruins' uniform, anyone expecting Seguin in any proposal needs to get their head checked. Boston doesn't trade Seguin unless there's a massive, massive overpayment. Backlund doens't even come close to making it worth it for Boston. Not gonna happen.

BTW, Boston's pick is 9th.
Thanks

Old
05-30-2011, 01:24 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Thanks to those providing feedback. I assumed the Bruins are in a win now window. I thought that maybe adding a 40 goal scoring power forward/best captain in the game could greatly improve their chances. Sounds like sacraficing Seguin to do it is just to steep a price to pay. Is not the main goal winning a stanley cup?
It looks like they are one of the 2 teams still remaining in the playoffs. They haven't lost the Cup yet.

Seguin has shown that he has fantastic offensive prowess. He won't be traded for a 34 year old Jarome Iginla. Not when it is possible that Seguin can possibly approach the kind of scoring levels that Iginla has. Seguin recently turned 19, Iggy will be 34 in July.

The Bruins need Seguin's speed and how long can Iggy remain as effective as he has been in the past?

I could see the Bruins willing to trade the #9 pick and a very good prospect, and even more, but Seguin is a huge part of the future of the team and not the kind of player teams trade at 19 years old. Not when they have the kind of potential that Seguin has.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:26 AM
almostawake

Not going to get anything like that for Iginla. Mid to late 1st, a good prospect and a young roster player. It doesn't make sense to trade Iginla for that return, but that's all you'd get.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:47 AM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
It's true that the Bruins are in a win-now mode, but they are looking to the future simultaneously, and with a very good young core of forwards (Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Horton and Seguin all 26 and under....not to mention Tuukka Rask and 5-6 very good prospects in Providence and the OHL) they can build towards the future. Their only key aging pieces are Thomas and Chara.

Tyler Seguin projects to be a top-line franchise two-way center with a great work ethic who can score goals and distribute. The Bruins have no need or desire to sacrifice their future centerpiece for the uncertainty of a one or two-year window where a single injury could break their seasons. Additionally, your proposed deal would be too steep a price for the Bruins. Unless you think the Flames would accept a lesser prospect as the centerpiece of a deal, the chances are slim that the teams could make an agreement.

Again, this is not an indictment of Iginla, its merely a statement of the belief in Seguin's future that the Bruins' management and fanbase has. Good on you for suggesting a deal, but I just don't think it would work.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:08 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
So Calgary is expected to give up their Franchise Player in order to move up 4 draft spots get Seguin, who when is fully developed still likely wont be as good as Iginla. Plus we are expected to take a salary dump? Yuck.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:01 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
So Calgary is expected to give up their Franchise Player in order to move up 4 draft spots get Seguin, who when is fully developed still likely wont be as good as Iginla. Plus we are expected to take a salary dump? Yuck.
You can make the argument that Seguin fully developed won't be as good as 25 year old Jerome Iginla, but you aren't trading 25 year old Jerome Iginla. You are trading 34 year old Iginla.

Will Iginla be a better player than Seguin next year. Yes I think he will. Will he be a better player in 2 years, I don't think so. 3 years I don't think so.

Boston has shown they are on the verge of the cup this year, and that is getting very little from Seguin. Next year he comes in, probably 10 pounds of muscle heavier, with the idea of how to play with men, and suddenly he represents a Big area of improvement for the Bruins next year

Boston also had a lot of cap space available, so they can pursue a second big improvement player via free agency. Will that player be as good as Iginla? No, but the combination of that player, plus improved Seguin could certainly have more impact that trading Seguin and all the cap space to get Iginla

If Boston was willing to make a move for Iginla, I think the offer would be something closer to #9 pick, Spooner or Knight, and something like Boychuck. Is that enoguh for Iginla? Probably not, but that is 3 potentially very good assets

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Calgary is not rebuilding, period. Which means Iginla is not going to be traded. So it would likely take an offer of Seguin to persuade us to trade him. Boston would probably not do this, so this isn't gonna happen.

Iginla is worth Seguin, but he is much more valuable to the B's so they would never part with him.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Yes, a Rocket Richard winning player who is a franchise winger and one of the best leaders in the game and a true power forward is not worth a prospect who has good upside but has proven nothing yet at the NHL level. Fail.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Not going to get anything like that for Iginla. Mid to late 1st, a good prospect and a young roster player. It doesn't make sense to trade Iginla for that return, but that's all you'd get.
Well gee, thanks for polling all 29 other GM's and letting us know his value.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:37 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
You can make the argument that Seguin fully developed won't be as good as 25 year old Jerome Iginla, but you aren't trading 25 year old Jerome Iginla. You are trading 34 year old Iginla.

Will Iginla be a better player than Seguin next year. Yes I think he will. Will he be a better player in 2 years, I don't think so. 3 years I don't think so.

Boston has shown they are on the verge of the cup this year, and that is getting very little from Seguin. Next year he comes in, probably 10 pounds of muscle heavier, with the idea of how to play with men, and suddenly he represents a Big area of improvement for the Bruins next year

Boston also had a lot of cap space available, so they can pursue a second big improvement player via free agency. Will that player be as good as Iginla? No, but the combination of that player, plus improved Seguin could certainly have more impact that trading Seguin and all the cap space to get Iginla

If Boston was willing to make a move for Iginla, I think the offer would be something closer to #9 pick, Spooner or Knight, and something like Boychuck. Is that enoguh for Iginla? Probably not, but that is 3 potentially very good assets
A 34 year old Iginla who was top 10 in scoring and scored 40 and 40. Not exactly old...

It comes down to a simple math equation. Does Seguin give you more opportunities to compete down the road or does Iginla in the next 3 - 4 years? I fully expect Boston fans to say they would take Seguin. Personally I say Iginla does. With Chara, Thomas and Iginla, they would be a cup contender every year for the next 3 years. Granted I understand not wanting to give up Seguin and I wouldn't expect Boston to be willing to give him up.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
What the hell is Seguin worth than? If he's worth more than a top ten scoring power forward who is widely considered one of the games best leaders, I don't know what he's worth. Crosby? Yeah that must be it. Get real.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Iginla is not worth Seguin? You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Iginla is a future HOFer with several good years left who's been the most consistent scorer in the NHL in the last decade. He's a franchise guy, great leader, two way player, game breaker, can fight, can hit, can score...any GM would love to have him on their team.

Tyler Seguin is a promising rookie who's done next to nothing at the NHL level.

Now, if you wanted to say that Iggy is too old for your plans, or you'd rather gamble on Seguin's upside, that's fair. But Seguin is nowhere near the player Iginla is, period. He may be, sure. But he's not.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
A 34 year old Iginla who was top 10 in scoring and scored 40 and 40. Not exactly old...

It comes down to a simple math equation. Does Seguin give you more opportunities to compete down the road or does Iginla in the next 3 - 4 years? I fully expect Boston fans to say they would take Seguin. Personally I say Iginla does. With Chara, Thomas and Iginla, they would be a cup contender every year for the next 3 years. Granted I understand not wanting to give up Seguin and I wouldn't expect Boston to be willing to give him up.
They are a cup contender right now without Iginla, and should be the next 3-4 years without Iginla. So yes you are correct in saying adding Iginla would make them a cup contender the next 3-4 years.

Iginla had a fantastic season last year, but he is getting old, especially for the type of game he plays. He may have couple top years left, but time catches up with everyone. And Seguin will likely be playing for 15 years after he is gone.

Next year I expect Seguin to top 20 goals for Boston. Is that 44, of course not, but I doubt Iginla scores 44 in our system. The following year I would expect Seguin to be pushing 30 goals and 60+ points.

The 4 million less Seguin is getting compared to Iginla next year goes a long way towards bringing in another very good player.

Quote:
What the hell is Seguin worth than? If he's worth more than a top ten scoring power forward who is widely considered one of the games best leaders, I don't know what he's worth. Crosby? Yeah that must be it. Get real.
No Seguin is not worth Crosby, Crosby isn't 15 years older than him. You simply don't get the same price for 34 year old players that you get for young players who have their entire career in front of them.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Iginla is not worth Seguin? You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Iginla is a future HOFer with several good years left who's been the most consistent scorer in the NHL in the last decade. He's a franchise guy, great leader, two way player, game breaker, can fight, can hit, can score...any GM would love to have him on their team.

Tyler Seguin is a promising rookie who's done next to nothing at the NHL level.

Now, if you wanted to say that Iggy is too old for your plans, or you'd rather gamble on Seguin's upside, that's fair. But Seguin is nowhere near the player Iginla is, period. He may be, sure. But he's not.
Ahhh the bitterness...

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Blank

I wouldn't complain if the result of the trade was similar to Iggy/Nieuwendyk trade back in the day..

Prospects are way overvalued. Seguin is the minimum of what it would take... And this is from a B fan.

I'd rather hang on to Seguin tho.. It isn't all about the value, I just want the kid to make it big in Boston (nothing better than that to see couldabeenleafs guys tear up the league in B)

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Ahhh the bitterness...
No.

I'd rather keep Seguin myself, if he were playing for the leafs, I'll admit that readily. But saying Iginla isn't worth him is ridiculous.

Iginla is worth any player on the leafs current roster. Doesn't mean he'd be a fit for our team, but the worth is there. Same for the bruins with the possible exception of Chara.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote