HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmontons 2012 pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2011, 12:57 AM
  #101
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
Yakupov is good but i just cant fall into the hype.
Me neither. Ryan Murray is a different story.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:16 AM
  #102
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,234
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Me neither. Ryan Murray is a different story.
You must have missed Nail burning Murray for his hat trick at the U-18's.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:04 AM
  #103
AUAIOMRN
Registered User
 
AUAIOMRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Right. I would much rather have a decent d man over a fifty goal scorer in the nhl. Good call.
Why not bomb several more years then? What makes "one more year" the magic number? Especially since last year it was "one more year" as well? There's always going to be a shiny new prospect on the horizon.

The glory of winning a cup wouldn't make up for the shame of three last place finishes. I'd like to not feel guilty about cheering for this team once it gets good.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:09 AM
  #104
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You must have missed Nail burning Murray for his hat trick at the U-18's.
Yakupov Has Ovechkin billing as a sure fire star. Nobody will be close to him come next summer as the number 1 pick IMO.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:29 AM
  #105
ZugNugget
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
The glory of winning a cup wouldn't make up for the shame of three last place finishes. I'd like to not feel guilty about cheering for this team once it gets good.
Quebec/Colorado fans would disagree!

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:35 AM
  #106
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,003
vCash: 500
Yeah that's one thing I could agree on. One Cup will not make up for multiple horrendous finishes. Gotta gun for at least 2 Cups in a decade period if you're doin multiple tank jobs.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:18 AM
  #107
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeshinpads View Post
Q: How long do you think that the young core can be on a badly loosing team before it has a long-term detrimental effect on them?
I expect them to have one more poor season and then by the next season be at least competitive. One more year of losing won't hurt them and IMO it'll just make winning that much sweeter when it happens.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:38 AM
  #108
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlare View Post
I read somewhere that apparently Yakupov is the most hyped Russian player since Ovechkin. Is that true by any means? It certainly seems so from some of the posts I've read.
I dont know if thats true but I have heard he was much better than Steven Stamkos was in his first year in Sarnia

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:21 AM
  #109
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I dont know if thats true but I have heard he was much better than Steven Stamkos was in his first year in Sarnia
From a purely numbers standpoint, I suppose he was.

Stamkos: 63GP, 42G, 50A, 92Pts

Yakupov: 65GP, 49G, 52A, 101Pts

Someone mentioned Esposito - he also had a pretty solid year the year before his draft:

Esposito: 57GP, 39G, 59A, 98Pts

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:37 AM
  #110
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,234
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Why not bomb several more years then? What makes "one more year" the magic number? Especially since last year it was "one more year" as well? There's always going to be a shiny new prospect on the horizon.

The glory of winning a cup wouldn't make up for the shame of three last place finishes. I'd like to not feel guilty about cheering for this team once it gets good.
Its not like you can say, "Ok boys, fans are tired of losing, no more lottery picks, time to make the playoffs now". The team will get better when they have players that make them better. We have some of the pieces but two years is a pretty short rebuild for a team that was as bereft of talent as we were.

People are saying they want progress, say finishing 20th or so. I say finishing 20th isnt really progress as it means we get a Schiefele instead of a Hopkins. Or a Reilly instead of a Yakupov. That is a big difference. Pittsburgh didnt become perennial contenders drafting tenth every year.

If we suck for two more years and we wind up with Yakupov and Mackinnon, I will be ok with that. So should everyone else be. It would be what is best for the team in the long run.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:33 AM
  #111
OilersPride04
Registered User
 
OilersPride04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rexall place
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
is yakupov russian?

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:02 AM
  #112
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If we suck for two more years and we wind up with Yakupov and Mackinnon, I will be ok with that. So should everyone else be. It would be what is best for the team in the long run.
What, Insanity!

All we need is to sign some defensive third liners and bottom pairing defencemen who are desperate for contracts and nobody else wants and suddenly we'll become a contender.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
  #113
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
From a purely numbers standpoint, I suppose he was.

Stamkos: 63GP, 42G, 50A, 92Pts

Yakupov: 65GP, 49G, 52A, 101Pts

Someone mentioned Esposito - he also had a pretty solid year the year before his draft:

Esposito: 57GP, 39G, 59A, 98Pts
Esposito played with Radulov though. Who is Yakupov playing with?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:13 AM
  #114
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersPride04 View Post
is yakupov russian?
yep.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:18 AM
  #115
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Esposito played with Radulov though. Who is Yakupov playing with?
Roster...

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats.../42/subtype/16

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
  #116
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
So Galchenyuk and Kerbashian I assume. Not really highly touted guys it seems. Galchenyuk is seen more as a late first rounder I believe nad I haven't heard Kerbashians name a lot. Radulov dropped because of the russian factor if I'm not mistaken, he was a pretty explosive goalscorer in the Q

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
  #117
ZugNugget
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
So Galchenyuk and Kerbashian I assume. Not really highly touted guys it seems. Galchenyuk is seen more as a late first rounder I believe nad I haven't heard Kerbashians name a lot. Radulov dropped because of the russian factor if I'm not mistaken, he was a pretty explosive goalscorer in the Q
He's seen as a Top 5 guy at the moment.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
  #118
OilersPride04
Registered User
 
OilersPride04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rexall place
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Unless edmonton picks up another top 5 pick or drafts larrson, there gonna be picking murray or ebbert over yakupov . Theyve been lacking that number 1 D since 06 so it makes sense to do it

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:23 PM
  #119
bzur
Registered User
 
bzur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersPride04 View Post
Unless edmonton picks up another top 5 pick or drafts larrson, there gonna be picking murray or ebbert over yakupov . Theyve been lacking that number 1 D since 06 so it makes sense to do it
If we got another 1st overall next year we'd be insane not to get Yakupov. Our future right wing would be insane. If we have an abundance of top prospects in a particular position, we can always try to trade for an established defenseman when the time comes. I'm sure teams are always looking for top 6 players, and the return would be nice.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:22 PM
  #120
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Agreed. Yakupov is worth bombing for. We're a year away from the draft but right now he looks like he'll be an even better player than Hall.

Can you imagine a team where Hall is the 2nd best player on his line? We'd be set.
I don't doubt that Yakupov is a heck of a talent but a lot can change in a year especially when talking about 17-18 year old kids.
Larsson was looked at as a surefire generational talent according to many around this exact time last year and Couturier was a surefire top 2 pick. My point is that even though Yakupov is probably better than Hall at the same age, that doesn't mean that he will be a better NHL player.
I would rather draft Murray next year anyway if it came down to a choice between the two.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:04 PM
  #121
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
He's seen as a Top 5 guy at the moment.
I don't know Mckenzie and Button didn't have him in their top 10. They didn't even mention his name.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:20 PM
  #122
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,994
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Esposito played with Radulov though. Who is Yakupov playing with?
Alex Galchenyuk who will probably be a top 10 pick if not top 5..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:21 PM
  #123
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,994
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I don't know Mckenzie and Button didn't have him in their top 10. They didn't even mention his name.
When was this?

That doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't have him there. He's a stud.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:36 PM
  #124
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Alex Galchenyuk who will probably be a top 10 pick if not top 5..
Yeah, that's just silly. I've heard top 3 and a guy like that could end up going first overall with a all-star performance next year.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
  #125
OilersPride04
Registered User
 
OilersPride04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rexall place
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentz0r View Post
If we got another 1st overall next year we'd be insane not to get Yakupov. Our future right wing would be insane. If we have an abundance of top prospects in a particular position, we can always try to trade for an established defenseman when the time comes. I'm sure teams are always looking for top 6 players, and the return would be nice.
i guess your right and the top 6 player could be omark. Also Looking at russians past i think it would be wise to obtain another russian like washington.

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.