HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The Goalie on Offense

Old
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
DJ Man

vCash: 500
The Goalie on Offense

What's the history of the rule regarding how far down ice the goalkeeper can go?

I have this vague recollection of reading a copy of The Hockey News in the early 1960s (my cousins used to subscribe to it when I was a little kid) and seeing an article that mentioned a new rule.

There was a photograph of Glenn Hall skating standing up and shoulder-to-shoulder with some opposing players. The caption said something like "No longer will Glenn Hall of the Black Hawks be able to act as a sixth attacker on a delayed penalty," or something like that.

Was there a time when a goalie simply joined the attack on a delayed penalty call?

I can't really imagine Hall or anybody else skating down the wing, but I could see a goalie moving 'way up to just inside the far blue line to cover the "point," and thus free up a defenseman to move in on the opponent's goal. His puck-blocking ability would be useful at keeping the play in the attacking zone.

(Of course, the strategy now has the goalie go to the bench to be replaced by a real skater.)

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Canadiens1958

Gary Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Man View Post
What's the history of the rule regarding how far down ice the goalkeeper can go?

I have this vague recollection of reading a copy of The Hockey News in the early 1960s (my cousins used to subscribe to it when I was a little kid) and seeing an article that mentioned a new rule.

There was a photograph of Glenn Hall skating standing up and shoulder-to-shoulder with some opposing players. The caption said something like "No longer will Glenn Hall of the Black Hawks be able to act as a sixth attacker on a delayed penalty," or something like that.

Was there a time when a goalie simply joined the attack on a delayed penalty call?

I can't really imagine Hall or anybody else skating down the wing, but I could see a goalie moving 'way up to just inside the far blue line to cover the "point," and thus free up a defenseman to move in on the opponent's goal. His puck-blocking ability would be useful at keeping the play in the attacking zone.

(Of course, the strategy now has the goalie go to the bench to be replaced by a real skater.)
In response to Gary Smith wandering when he first entered the NHL. No real strategic purpose to his wandering just showmanship.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
DJ Man

I'm pretty sure that the goalie was restricted by the center line going back to the 1960s.

I do remember Gary Smith skating the puck out to center ice on his own, when he ddin't feel his defensemen were working hard enough. I'm amazed that he got away with showing up his teammates that way.

Old
05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
mpleafan

theres a video of patrick roy skating down the ice and then being whistled after he crossed the middle and i believe he got a penalty. look it up on youtube.

mpleafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:22 PM
DearDiary
Cutest Poster 2016

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpleafan View Post
theres a video of patrick roy skating down the ice and then being whistled after he crossed the middle and i believe he got a penalty. look it up on youtube.

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

So, in the pre-trapezoid days, a goalie would be able to quarter-back a PP up to the central red line?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:30 PM
DJ Man

That was funny!

I recall that Marcel Pelletier was a flaky minor league goalie in the late '50s -- early '60swho wanted to score a goal and would lead charges down the ice. He may have helped to inspire the 1960s red line rule.