HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

I come in peace: an Atlanta fan offering support

Old
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Freibahlen

vCash: 500
I come in peace: an Atlanta fan offering support

(throughout, any mention of southeast is in reference to the region and not the NHL division.)

It has occurred to me through this mess that our Atlanta team has found itself in, that we in the southeastern region are in this boat together.

I have been a staunch Thrashers fan thusfar and, honestly, had it been to the peril of any other team, I would have been ok with that. Sounds terrible... that is because it is.

Over the course of the past couple of months, it is painfully apparent that we in the Southeastern portion of the U.S. are viewed with quite a bit of disdain and that includes the Bolts and Canes who even have a Stanley a piece to offer some legitimacy. It wouldn't matter what our teams do, it is the fans they have a problem with. It is true that we don't produce much in the way of players. While Atlanta is working on that and have one promising player coming up through the system, it is still a far cry from where I'd like to see it.

Until we can all afford to stand on our own two feet as separate fanbases, I am going to support ALL of the southeastern U.S. Teams. If I am able to travel to games, I will. When I can get a sweater, I will. Where I can support youth clubs, adult leagues, college teams, competative youth leagues or minor league teams, I will.

While Atlanta is enjoying a strong growth spurt in youth hockey, it needs a boost and will need an even larger one if the Thrashers leave (and it looks quite possible they will.). The ice melts just as fast all around where we live so... here's to keeping it frozen. I am sure the same can happen in your areas if it isn't already.

If the Thrashers stay, of course, I will back them in a match between us and any team, but otherwise, I will pick a Southeast team to back and do so with the vigor I gave Atlanta since 1999.

I have watched your team over the years and, I gotta say, you guys are just THIIIIIS close to pulling off a Stanley appearance!

Go Predators
Go Bolts.
Go Panthers.
Go Hurricanes.
and, for as long as we can, Go Thrashers.

Freibahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Firestorm

But who do you pick when the South Eastern teams play themselves?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Heh. I've been of the same mind for several years now (pretty much ever since I started actually paying attention to the game), and I've never lived outside of the state of Ohio. I can usually only afford tickets to one or two games a year, and this year the one game was in Bridgestone Arena, when the Jackets visited around New Year's.
(Was great for the first 22 minutes or so! Spent a lot of time practicing my "well, what can you do?" look for the rest of the game, tho...)

I should warn y'all, tho, that this sort of sports empathy/loyalty extends only to NHL hockey. In particular, don't talk to me about college football.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Legionnaire11

Totally agree with this feeling, it was hammered into me (and probably most Preds fans) when we were taking so much crap from Canada during our sale. Totally turned me off to Canada and their hockey fans, I hope that a warm weather team wins the cup every season.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:11 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Totally agree with this feeling, it was hammered into me (and probably most Preds fans) when we were taking so much crap from Canada during our sale. Totally turned me off to Canada and their hockey fans, I hope that a warm weather team wins the cup every season.
amen

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I just ignore the Canadian fans just like I ignore the elitist Yankee or Red Sox fans in baseball, elitist college football fans of the SEC, etc.

While it is true that we struggle to compete at hockey, just like they struggle to compete at baseball/football. Why? Because they typically are warm-weather sports and they don't get the practice we do... Just like we don't get as much practice at cold-weathered hockey like they do.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I just ignore the Canadian fans just like I ignore the elitist Yankee or Red Sox fans in baseball, elitist college football fans of the SEC, etc.
Hey now.....

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Hey now.....
I'm going to remember this the next time you taunt me for loving Ohio State.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm going to remember this the next time you taunt me for loving Ohio State.
"Send lawyers, guns and money..."

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

This thread reminds of a pic I saw on the Canes Country blog...

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
This thread reminds of a pic I saw on the Canes Country blog...

How recent is that?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 09:51 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
How recent is that?
that looks like the lexus towel. given out in the first game of the playoffs at home this year.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
that looks like the lexus towel. given out in the first game of the playoffs at home this year.
I saw them--couldn't remember which playoff game it was but it was definitely this year.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Thems fightin words.

Expansion teams in the south do get alot of flack from Canadians though. Alot of people think we should have atleast 10 teams by now. That being said I'm pulling for TBay to get to the finals this year now that the preds are out.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I don't think it's fair to blame Canada. Maybe they're not as vocal about it, but a lot of northern US fans would rather see teams in places like Winnipeg than Atlanta, too.

Good luck, guys.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:08 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I don't think it's fair to blame Canada. Maybe they're not as vocal about it, but a lot of northern US fans would rather see teams in places like Winnipeg than Atlanta, too.

Good luck, guys.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote