HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why did Grant Fuhr play for the Flames???

Old
05-30-2011, 02:21 PM
IggyFan12

vCash: 500
Why did Grant Fuhr play for the Flames???

This was a truly bizarre event which left many people scratching their heads. Why would the Flames actually make a trade to aquire the Oilers great when he was way past his prime? And why would Fuhr agree to play there. He could of retired or probably blocked the trade if he really wanted to. The Flames in 1999/2000 were not a very good team to put it nicely and they had no shot at the Cup at all.

This was a truly bizarre moment in the battle of Alberta. Was it just poor management? Did the Flames actually believe he could still play? Maybe they wanted Fuhr to mentor the Flames "Young Guns"? This move actually cost the Flames as they couldn't protect J.S Giguire in the expansion draft and he was moved to Anaheim and we all know how that turned out.....

Not as bad as when Messier played for Vancouver but still a disaster of a move. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Fuhr's stats for the Flames: 23GP 5W 13L 2OTL/T .856 sv% 3.83 G.A.A

IggyFan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:28 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
he was the starter the year before in St. Louis so at the time they were hoping for better goaltending. And he'd announced before the trade it would be his last year. So he did have a plan, may well have been finances or simply wanted to have a fairwell tour.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:30 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

He wanted to tarnish his legacy by putting up terrible numbers while playing for the enemy.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyFan12 View Post
This move actually cost the Flames as they couldn't protect J.S Giguire in the expansion draft and he was moved to Anaheim and we all know how that turned out.....
Assuming that you're referring to the 2000 expansion draft...

The Flames protected Fred Brathwaite, and left Grant Fuhr, Ty Garner, and Andrei Trefilov available. So how did acquiring Fuhr cause the Flames to lose Giguere?

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:38 PM
IggyFan12

I don't remember 100% of the details so maybe someone can help me out who remembers more but, I remember Peter Mahr (The Flames Play by Play man) was on the radio a while ago and he said the Flames tried to leave Fuhr unprotected in the expansion draft but the NHL said he was retired. The Flames tried to counter and say no he wasn't but the NHL heard that the Flames held a retirement party for Fuhr a month earlier lol. The other details are alittle fuzzy so maybe someone who has more knowledge on the subject and let me know but they weren't allowed to use Fuhr as an unprotected goalie and were forced to deal Gigure.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
From what I remember, the rationale was:

-Fred Brathwaite wasn't a proven commodity as starter, he was an emergency injury call-up who exceeded any reasonable expectations in 1998-99

-Giguere hadn't developed to the point where he could be considered a reliable back-up ***further to Giggy, his trade had nothing to do with the Expansion Draft, not sure where you're getting that from. Craig Button just didn't think he was worth keeping around***

-Fuhr was declining, but still looked like a viable option splitting time with Brathwaite

Fuhr wound up being a bust that final season, but the logic behind his signing wasn't terrible by any stretch.

The Barrasso for Tugnutt deal on the other hand...

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 04:01 PM
zeus3007*

He wasn't ready to retire, and I think the Flames were hoping for a veteran goalie who could help out the younger tenders.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 04:07 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

even weirder for me was seeing

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Yog S'loth

Quote:
...the Flames tried to leave Fuhr unprotected in the expansion draft but the NHL said he was retired. ...but they weren't allowed to use Fuhr as an unprotected goalie and were forced to deal Gigure.
This, and only this. Lots of teams were doing screwy things to try and protect multiple goalies.

Could be worse - look at the disastrous hole the Kings put themselves in to protect two crappy goalies at the same time. Kimmo who?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Kyle McMahon

Fuhr still appeared to be a viable starting option at the time. He was fairly decent in the '99 playoffs, highlighted by shutting out the Coyotes 1-0 in OT in Game 7 as the Blues overcame a 3-1 series deficit. His decline from second round playoff starter to ECHL-caliber goalie in the span of six months was really quite stunning.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Hoser

They needed a goalie because they didn't trust Giguere and Tyler Moss with NHL duties. They originally wanted Ron Hextall, who was no longer wanted/needed in Philly, but Hextall opted to retired.

A post I made about it a while ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
The Flames were in desperate need of a goalie in the '99 off-season. Ken Wregget, ostensibly the Flames starting goaltender in '98-'99, became a free agent and signed a one-year deal with the Red Wings to back up Chris Osgood.

'98-'99 was a horrible year to be in the Flames net, a year which saw the Flames use six goaltenders: Wregget, AHLers Tyler Moss and J-S Giguere sharing the backup position, Andrei Trefilov as an emergency signing from the IHL, Tyrone Garner as an emergency call-up from the OHL, and finally Freddy Brathwaite as an emergency signing from the Canadian national team (which is headquartered in Calgary). Brathwaite impressed and was the only one to stay in Calgary. Moss and Giguere weren't cutting it (four years later Giguere won the Conn Smythe...), Garner ended up in the ECHL, they didn't intend on keeping Trefilov, and Wregget got the hell out of Dodge. So the Flames needed a goalie, at the very least an NHL calibre backup.

Ron Hextall was at the end of his career, demoted to the backup in '98, and his contract with the Flyers expired in the summer of '99. The Flyers had Brian Boucher and Jean-Marc Pelletier in the system and didn't need Hextall anymore. The Flames made him a two-year contract offer, but he declined. He retired and became a Flyers scout.

The Blues had picked up Roman Turek from the Stars and didn't need Fuhr anymore (who was two years older than Hextall), so the Flames offered a draft pick and the Blues accepted.

As an aside Fuhr was awful that year too. He shouldn't have played and the Flames should have used one of Moss or Giguere as the backup. In 2000, when Fuhr retired, the Flames traded both Moss and Giguere (a tandem that won the Hap Holmes award in 1998) away and acquired 37-year-old Mike Vernon.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Bexlyspeed

WOW i can not remember Fuhr on the Flames at all!!!!
calls for a new thread, great players on teams you forgot they played for

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

He was a proven winner, a clutch goaltender who knew what it takes to win. How can you go wrong with a 4-time Cup winner?

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
even weirder for me was seeing

Immortalised in NHL Breakaway '98 .

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:54 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Fuhr still appeared to be a viable starting option at the time. He was fairly decent in the '99 playoffs, highlighted by shutting out the Coyotes 1-0 in OT in Game 7 as the Blues overcame a 3-1 series deficit. His decline from second round playoff starter to ECHL-caliber goalie in the span of six months was really quite stunning.
Well he'd gone from reliable to awful in Buffalo then bottomed out in L.A. before his career was revived under Keenan. But if you want reasons for him going from decent #1 goalie to washed-up in six months, I've got two names for ya! Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger. And hey, throw Joel Quenneville in there too. Those are your 1999 and 2000 Norris trophy winners and Fuhr benefitted from that. And yet, his save percentages were still mediocre and under .900. If anything, he was declining after a good 95-97 stretch. When he went to Derek Morris and Phil Housley, well that was quite the drop-off.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:46 AM
IggyFan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
They needed a goalie because they didn't trust Giguere and Tyler Moss with NHL duties. They originally wanted Ron Hextall, who was no longer wanted/needed in Philly, but Hextall opted to retired.

A post I made about it a while ago:
Thanks Great reply!!

Old
05-31-2011, 09:54 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
I was thinking the same thing. This episode was completely washed from my memory.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
calls for a new thread, great players on teams you forgot they played for
it may not be the same title, but http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=543324

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
IggyFan12

I'm trying to think of an example where a great player played for their rival and was succesful...Im sure there are some examples but I keep thinking of all the failures...Chelios to Detroit is the only success I can think of off the top of my head

Old
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
I'm trying to think of an example where a great player played for their rival and was succesful...Im sure there are some examples but I keep thinking of all the failures...Chelios to Detroit is the only success I can think of off the top of my head
Park and Ratelle on Boston come to mind.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote