HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne first pick in WHA draft

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Dizzy

vCash: 500
Gagne first pick in WHA draft

Went first overall to Quebec. But would he actually play for them if there's a lockout?

Old
07-17-2004, 10:57 AM
fan mao rong

I suppose he would. Last time I looked he was not under contract and did not file for arbitration, so maybe he will sign with Philly shortly. If WHA offers him the franchise contract (up to 5 million per) and it's a 1 year deal, maybe. I seen somewhere that WHA may give out clauses if the NHL resumes play. And maybe the player might think the lockout will last the entire season. If there is a settlement shortly it is all academic. So, 1 year, 5 million a season, out clause (or not) maybe he does.

Old
07-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

re

I think the Quebec WHA franchise already named Mike Ribeiro their 'franchise' player

Old
07-17-2004, 03:42 PM
King Fish

What are you people talking about?

Old
07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish
What are you people talking about?
The World Hockey Association is an upstart league that is supposed to have 8 teams playing in North America next season. They held a free agent draft today and picked free agent NHLers as well as AHLers and some from the European leagues.

Old
07-17-2004, 09:11 PM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Don't these players have to join/signup for the draft?

Old
07-17-2004, 09:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17
Don't these players have to join/signup for the draft?

No. That's why you saw Halifax take Travis Green 2nd overall. Halifax probably took a route that when the league starts and there isn't a lockout, they have guys who will actually play as opposed to someone like Gagne, who obviously wouldn't.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
goodrev

i dunno, i think lindross might end up in the WHA... just get that funny feeling, doubt gagne, at least i hope to god not

Old
07-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Nhlyounggun11

If Gagen plays for Quebec next year, does that mean that he can't come back to the Flyers when the hold out is over like next season?

Old
07-18-2004, 04:54 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
I'm not worry about this WHA. It's a big joke IMO. The quality of the rosters and game won't be equal to the NHL's one.

Old
07-18-2004, 11:19 AM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy2
The World Hockey Association is an upstart league that is supposed to have 8 teams playing in North America next season. They held a free agent draft today and picked free agent NHLers as well as AHLers and some from the European leagues.
Thanks, this sounds interesting.

Old
07-18-2004, 05:00 PM
goodrev

i dunno, the more i see them going on with their draft the more i worry about the league, i think they will sign and steal a few good young players from teams prospect lists... who knows, i dont know how the league is going to go about everything so who knows what will happen with it, all i know is that if it gets NHL players to play in it during a lockout, it could have 8 real good teams and establish itself pretty good all at the expense of the NHL... i think this should be watched pretty closely and see if they actually sign any of these players

Old
07-18-2004, 05:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I really don't think the league will get a lot of prospects. The only reason that they got some marquee players the first time is because Howe got to play with his sons and they could throw more money at some stars.

Every player still knows that the NHL is the premier league in the world and I think it is every player's dream to make it to the NHL. If there is a lockout, there will be some pros playing in the WHA, but I think they'll come back when the new CBA is in place.

Old
07-18-2004, 06:08 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Every player still knows that the NHL is the premier league in the world and I think it is every player's dream to make it to the NHL. If there is a lockout, there will be some pros playing in the WHA, but I think they'll come back when the new CBA is in place.
Play for the stanley cup or the...what are they gonna name their trophy anyway.

Best case scenario for them...NHL lockout...they get some good NHLers to play for them for a season and get a semi-fan base.

the likely scenario...they get a few legit-name nhlers, i think eric lindros could go, they play for a few years, about as popular as the ahl...possibly

My opinion is...any team that has its pick of cities to start a franchise and picks birmingham alabama, while ignoring the three big markets (bos, phi, nyc)...is ran by idiots and will flop.

Old
07-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Winston Wolf

I'll be shocked if the league even gets one game played before it folds. It was a decent idea at the start, but they totally rushed things (thus, screwing a lot of things up) because of the lockout.

Closed Thread