HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers/Coyotes

Old
05-31-2011, 01:03 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Rangers/Coyotes

To

Adrian Aucoin (1 yr @ $2MM)

To

Rights to Matt Gilroy (RFA)
2011 2nd Round Pick (#57)

I'm not entirely sure what the Coyotes needs are, but I know the Rangers really need to upgrade their 3rd pairing defenseman on the right side. Gilroy is OK, but he could use a change of scenery, as the Rangers defense is already much too young. Aucoin adds some very valuable experience at a solid cost.

The Coyotes clear roughly $1.1MM in actual salary (factoring in Gilroy's pay if he re-signs), and get a solid pick.

Too much? Too little? Fair?

Disclaimer: Matt Gilroy's QO is $2.1MM; but the premise of signing him without that high of a cap hit is to not qualify him, and simply negotiate a contract without having to offer that much preliminarily.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Our needs are to win a playoff round. Aucoin helps a whole heck of a lot more than draft picks and last chance, 27 year old "prospects".

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:13 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Our needs are to win a playoff round. Aucoin helps a whole heck of a lot more than draft picks and last chance, 27 year old "prospects".
Just gauging interest. Thanks for the quick response.

What would it take from the Rangers to acquire Aucoin? I think he'd fit in with the team perfectly, and fills a need.

Old
05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Just gauging interest. Thanks for the quick response.

What would it take from the Rangers to acquire Aucoin? I think he'd fit in with the team perfectly, and fills a need.
Didn't mean to be short. On second read it seems that way. Apologies.

Aucoin led our team in +/- while being behind only Yandle in even strength ice time per game. He also led all blueliners in PK minutes per game. He wears an A on his chest and won us five or six shootouts season before last. He plays big minutes, is a leader in the room, and a perfect mentor for the likes of Yandle and OEL.

For the Rangers to acquire him, itt would take players that can help us win more games than he can. Not prospects, not picks. Our special teams were our biggest short coming. He's maybe the best PKing D we have. In short, it would probably take a lot more than you would think, and it would require a roster player you would certainly miss.

Old
05-31-2011, 01:24 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Didn't mean to be short. On second read it seems that way. Apologies.

Aucoin led our team in +/- while being behind only Yandle in even strength ice time per game. He also led all blueliners in PK minutes per game. He wears an A on his chest and won us five or six shootouts season before last. He plays big minutes, is a leader in the room, and a perfect mentor for the likes of Yandle and OEL.

For the Rangers to acquire him, itt would take players that can help us win more games than he can.
Hmm. Don't know the Rangers would be willing to give up big pieces for a 37 year old defenseman, albeit a very solid one.

What about Derick Morris?

Old
05-31-2011, 01:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Hmm. Don't know the Rangers would be willing to give up big pieces for a 37 year old defenseman, albeit a very solid one.

We aren't good partners for roster trades, I don't think. We both want to win more games and aren't focused on picks or prospects, at this point.

If you want names, we would probably have interest in PKers like Sauer, Prust and Boyle.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:02 AM
mstad101

Quote:

Would Morris agree to a second round with NY?

mstad101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:16 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
We aren't good partners for roster trades, I don't think. We both want to win more games and aren't focused on picks or prospects, at this point.

If you want names, we would probably have interest in PKers like Sauer, Prust and Boyle.
Sauer and Prust wouldn't be available, but I would consider Boyle in a package for Aucoin.

I'm surprised that you haven't asked for Hagelin yet....

Old
05-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

well, not bad. But I think the Yotes want to keep him. He is a good DMen for them and if they won't make the POs they can trade him at the TD and still get a 2nd

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:56 AM
pld459666

not giving up a 2nd rounder for Aucoin.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:05 AM
DesertDawg

Wouldn't be surprised if Gilroy was let go by NYR.
Maybe UFA Anton Babchuk would be of interest to to the Rangers...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:16 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Sauer and Prust wouldn't be available, but I would consider Boyle in a package for Aucoin.

I'm no Coyotes fan, but I'd be all over that.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:43 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Haha. Hagelin is a personal favorite, buy not exactly a pressing need. Not with Dave Tippett at the helm.

Boyle could be a nice addition. I'm not a Fiddler fan, bit Maloney plainly stated he is going to re-sign him. With Turris hopefully filling the role of 2nd center, Hanzal on the 3rd and Fiddler not got for better than fourth, I'm not sure where Boyle fits. Seems like a waste to move him to wing, no?

Old
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Haha. Hagelin is a personal favorite, buy not exactly a pressing need. Not with Dave Tippett at the helm.

Boyle could be a nice addition. I'm not a Fiddler fan, bit Maloney plainly stated he is going to re-sign him. With Turris hopefully filling the role of 2nd center, Hanzal on the 3rd and Fiddler not got for better than fourth, I'm not sure where Boyle fits. Seems like a waste to move him to wing, no?
The Rangers board is split on Boyle - some think he'll be the team's "shutdown center", and some are advocating moving him to wing to give him more offensive oppurtunity. I think he could flirt with 30 if he's moved to wing and he works on his shot, personally, but I wouldn't expect that to happen.

So; no, I don't think moving him to wing would be a waste, it could turn out to be an improvement.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Interesting. I did notice he had four powerplay goals despite being something like thirteenth in power play time per game. Still, Phoenix probably needs to hang onto what effective D we have.

Have you thought about Keith Ballard? He's clearly out of favor in Vancouver, and is a little expensive, but he's just as good as Morris or Aucoin and probably wouldn't cost a whole lot to acquire.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:27 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

A $4.2MM cap hit for 3 more years is the deal breaker. What made Aucoin an attractive piece to me was - that he was RH and in the last year of his deal. He's essentially a stop gap. I like Ballard a lot, but it's too many years/$$$.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I wouldn't consider Ballard (as any team). Overpaid 3rd pairing DMen. Not worth giving up something of value

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:21 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yandle
Stempniak
Pyatt
Bissonnette
2nd
Schlemko

for

Del Zotto
Anisimov
Boyle
Prust
1st
Hagelin

Old
05-31-2011, 11:23 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I wouldn't consider Ballard (as any team). Overpaid 3rd pairing DMen. Not worth giving up something of value
He was in a bad situation in Florida and is a bad fit in Vancouver(I suspect some injury issues at play, as well). Personally, I don't think it would take a huge rebound for him to get back to that #2 D status. Still some very good upside in that guy. Everyone wrote Bieksa off, as well. Hell, Duncan Keith has been written off in the past by the goons on this board. If Phoenix had the budget, I'd LOVE to bring Ballard back into the fold.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
A $4.2MM cap hit for 3 more years is the deal breaker. What made Aucoin an attractive piece to me was - that he was RH and in the last year of his deal. He's essentially a stop gap. I like Ballard a lot, but it's too many years/$$$.
The Yotes are pretty shallow on RHD as well. After the top 3 (Morris, Aucoin, Rozsival) we have Goncharov and Stone waiting in the wings, even though we have a bunch of lefties. But, hey, if you're looking for a one year stop gap RHD, I'd be willing to send Rozsival back to NY.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:18 PM
dashripdot

Why give up an inexpensive, solid, young 2-way centerman in Boyle for an old defenseman? If the Rangers make a move to spend on a veteran on defense (which they might decide against, given their depth of ready-to-advance defensive prospects) it will be for a player like Pitkanen (age 27) so they can get some offense on the back end, as well. You can have Gilroy. He's too old to be as inexperienced as he is and he's unlikely to take a pay-cut to a cap number commensurate with his value.

Last edited by dashripdot: 05-31-2011 at 12:25 PM.
dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I also think Aucoin is the exact type of veteran presence needed to round out our top 6, but if it takes more than the offer presented here (which is already overpayment), then forget it.

Obviously he holds more value to his team than what he is really worth.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
I also think Aucoin is the exact type of veteran presence needed to round out our top 6, but if it takes more than the offer presented here (which is already overpayment), then forget it.

Obviously he holds more value to his team than what he is really worth.
Value isn't the issue here. Phoenix does not need to stock pile picks, they need to win a playoff round. Same goes for New York. It's just a bad fit.

Old
05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Rangers really need to upgrade their 3rd pairing defenseman on the right side.
And they have something fabulous on the left side of that pair?

The top 2 pairs are going to chew up better than 20 minutes each which is going to leave the 3rd line in the low double digit category, close to 10 minutes a game. IMO Vtank is ready to step up to that Left side spot and either Teck or MDZ can step up to that right side. The latter being mobile enough to play either side. Get an aging vet UFA for the 7th spot, there's no need to spoil assets on guys like Aucoin.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote