HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire Tim Erixon, 5th ('11) for Horak, two 2nds ('11); Erixon signs ELC

Old
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
xxxZENxxx

vCash: 500
Gotta give the original poster of this HUGE props for somehow bringing Erixon up before knowing he was actually available. Good stuff!

Btw... I think this pretty much solidifies that the Rangers will be using their top draft picks on forwards, especially their #1. They have a tremendous group of defensive prospects and now need to find scoring. I am excited for what solid forward they add, but overall the draft is going to stink with how little picks they have now.

I hope Sather isn't done. While I know many fans are attached to some players on this team, not a one is elite (other than Henrik and arguably Gaborik). That being said, some of our players would be very valuable to other teams. Maybe valuable enough (in a package) to nab an elite (or semi-elite) scoring winger. Go get 'em.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Wait, did we just trade BOTH our 2011 second round picks???

I love the idea of getting Erixon, but now we have no chance in heck to trade up in the first round now...
You just got an extra pick in the first round in Erixon...and what's to say Sather doesn't package a kid, a prospect and #15 to move up? Besides all the experts say this is a weak draft.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Miller Time NYR

The way im looking at it, the rangers had this kid as top ten material come this years draft, he would I've gone before bealieu and klefbom in the top ten at least. So basically sather traded two seconds and Horak(one of many bottom 9 guys we have) for a top 10 pick. Id be stoked about that return regardless of if erixon was in this draft but now that that turned into him I'm even more stoked.

I have no problem trading our two seconds this year, none whatsoever.

our defense is stoked with talent and will be for years to come.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Chalfdiggity3

I love this deal as a rangers fan. He could move in and play for us right away.. We have a TON of talent on the backend now.. Have to think there will be a move for us possibly trading away the 15th and a defensive prospect or two to get into the top 10..

Didnt we also sign some other defensman? Cant remember his name something like Picklett? Where does he fall now on our prospect depth chart?

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

you have to figure right now that for the next 5 years, barring injury or a major trade, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, and McDonagh are all mainstays on this team.

That leaves 2 spots for Erixon, MDZ, McIlrath, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin, etc, etc, etc, etc

Monstrous glut of defenseman on this team. and not low quality guys either. Make a trade, go get me Evander Kane or Stastny.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:

I love the idea of getting Erixon, but now we have no chance in heck to trade up in the first round now...
Who cares. It is hard enough to move up. Let's concentrate on the fact that we got Calgary's best prospect for two 2nds and a prospect that was no sure bet to make it to the NHL. Our D is looking crazy good now and over the next couple years. Apparently the kid is NHL ready too. Wow!

Old
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
beastly115

Quote:

Uhh, we basically did. Erixon would have gone top 10 this draft. We traded our 2 2nds for a former 1st round pick who would have gone top 10 this year and we still have our #15 pick. We'll have added two first round picks by the end of the draft barring any more trades.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

My gut reaction is not to be super excited about this. Is Erixon that proficient offensively? I have always considered him more of a well-rounded player who is decent at both ends but great in neither.

Losing Horak is not a big deal given our depth but having only one pick in the first three rounds and limited ability to move up is not a great organizational move IMO.

Well, hope the kid does well.

06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
you have to figure right now that for the next 5 years, barring injury or a major trade, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, and McDonagh are all mainstays on this team.

That leaves 2 spots for Erixon, MDZ, McIlrath, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin, etc, etc, etc, etc

Monstrous glut of defenseman on this team. and not low quality guys either. Make a trade, go get me Evander Kane or Stastny.
I like the way you think. MDZ is the guy that you have to wonder about now. Despite his struggles, he is still going to have some value to other teams and might be on the move. How about offering up AA, MDZ, and a 1st for an elite player? Seems like an enticing package. I know it isn't as easy as that, but interesting nonetheless.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
My gut reaction is not to be super excited about this. Is Erixon that proficient offensively? I have always considered him more of a well-rounded player who is decent at both ends but great in neither.
Yeah, I'm the same way about Erixon's game. Although there are specific differences, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Erixon all look to have similar NHL careers. Yes, yes... Erixon has to make it first and McDonagh needs to play more than half a year, but you get what I'm saying.

Edit: so the question here is this... if Erixon slots on the 3rd pair for next year, does he play with MDZ? Assuming MDZ makes the team and Erixon seems to be (from the videos) a right-D... how does that work out? To me, I think you play MDZ with Sauer and McDonagh with Erixon. Gives you some balance and prevents a rookie from pairing with DelZotto.

Unless we sign a D in the offseason, but that doesn't look too likely to me at this point.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Yeah, I'm the same way. Although there are specific differences, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Erixon all look to have similar NHL careers. Yes, yes... Erixon has to make it first and McDonagh needs to play more than half a year, but you get what I'm saying.
If you have 5 d-men of that level, that's absolutely spectacular.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If you have 5 d-men of that level, that's absolutely spectacular.
Not only spectacular, but relatively cheap too.

Old
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Erixon has a better shot from the point than anyone in the system, sans Valentenko.

06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Major props to Rangerboy on ths one. Very randomly, he called it out of the blue and backed it up to make sense for both clubs.

I do happen to think that both picks plus Horak maybe a little steep in price for a player who could have been well draft eligible again if he did't sign. However, the Rangers kept thier first and added what a 3rd? I can live with that...Now I just hope they were right and Erixon is a real deal prospect here. Guess time will tell.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:

Losing Horak is not a big deal given our depth but having only one pick in the first three rounds and limited ability to move up is not a great organizational move IMO.

He basically is a first round pick, so your logic of us having one pick in the first three rounds (15th overall) doesn't apply here because Erixon would've gone first round if he had re-entered the draft.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Major props to Rangerboy on ths one. Very randomly, he called it out of the blue and backed it up to make sense for both clubs.

I do happen to think that both picks plus Horak maybe a little steep in price for a player who could have been well draft eligible again if he did't sign. However, the Rangers kept thier first and added what a 3rd? I can live with that...Now I just hope they were right and Erixon is a real deal prospect here. Guess time will tell.
Considering how good of a prospect he is and how weak the draft is, he was probably going to go very high, maybe top 10. We essentially traded for a high first round pick.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I've been dreaming of Evander Kane for months now. Highly unlikely but boy would he be perfect here.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Yeah that's what I'm saying.

I do like the kid, however.

I just am not thrilled at our limited chances to trade up now.

We NEED a high-end forward in this draft. If we do not get a high-end forward, its a huge fail. Who's scoring goals?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
I've been dreaming of Evander Kane for months now. Highly unlikely but boy would he be perfect here.
With the team moving up to Winnepeg, why would they trade their main draw?

No way they deal Kane.

Old
06-01-2011, 05:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

We NEED a high-end forward in this draft. If we do not get a high-end forward, its a huge fail. Who's scoring goals?
Marian Gaborik
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Chris Kreider
Christian Thomas

And that one guy we might possibly maybe sign is alright at scoring goals, too.

Some question marks, just as Mika or someone like that would be.

Personally, i'd rather focus on using our defensive depth to trade for a bonafide top 6 player than put my hopes on trading up and drafting top 10 in this draft, although i'd be fine either way.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

There will be forwards available at 15 and unless we're trading into the top 5, it probably wouldn't be that much of an issue to stick at 15. I'd rather move up too, but I'd rather have Erixon than even any forwards from 6-20 in this draft. As it is, we will get one of them.

Old
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:

If we can get Sciefele, we'll be fine IMO, or even Joel Armia.

Honestly, the only projected "high-end" forwards in this draft are Huberdeau, Nugent-Hopkins, and Couturier. The rest are projected 1st/2nd line tweeners, with the odd few becoming 1st liners in a best case scenario. We can get our high-end prospect in 2012, where it seems every 1st rounder is "high-end".

Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I posted this in the Trade Rumors section, but this was one of those win-win trades. Calgary did very well for the position they are in. Horak's value immediately rises due to his chemistry with Chilliwack teammate Howse; he's more valuable to the Flames then he ever was to the Rangers.

I don't see the huge upside in Erixon, but I think he will be a good NHL player for a long time.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

Well I can see the Rangers moving a defenseman now. I looooove this trade. Just pissed that we'll probably never get to see Valentenko put on a Rangers jersey.

Cawlidge Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Marian Gaborik
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Chris Kreider
Christian Thomas

And that one guy we might possibly maybe sign is alright at scoring goals, too.

Some question marks, just as Mika or someone like that would be.

Personally, i'd rather focus on using our defensive depth to trade for a bonafide top 6 player than put my hopes on trading up and drafting top 10 in this draft, although i'd be fine either way.
Well, if we are signing Richards, and re-signing Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer, and Boyle... with what cap space would we fit a proven scoring winger.

We would have to also trade valuable young, cheap assets to get this player. As no one is going to be trading their young scorer.

We need to draft one of these kinds of players for a change. THIS is the draft to do it.

We need to ship off Valenteko, Kundratek, Pashnin...all the guys who have basically no shot at ever playing for the Rangers. And #15 and moving up into the top 10 to get a kid like Zibanejad, who has high-end ability. And won't be far from the NHL. He's 17 and already playing Pro hockey against men.