HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
The draft is a perfect first event for you guys to see. Sumarizes everything about the Preds. Tons of rumors swirling (ellis for 9th), but instead Poile stands pat, plays it calm, and builds with our own assets. This is the epitome of Poile-nomics.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:27 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
I hate to break this up, but that's 16 of the past 17 posts from Atlanta folks. You guys are taking over our boards!

Pretty cool. Glad to have you.
Hey, gotta sit in exile somewhere, eh?

Old
06-25-2011, 06:44 AM
SilverRiver89

Power was out for like 6 hours last night from 7pm est to 12something am and I wake up to find all these trades and whatnot.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Legionnaire11

I'm loving the influx of Atlanta posters!

I do have two concerns about the future though...

1. Fox Sports has confirmed through e-mails that they are working on getting the NHL shown in Atlanta next season, but not sure if it's the Preds, Cans or Bolts. While I think it's clear that most Thrashers fans would prefer the Predators (not only for ease of travel to see them play, but who would want to jump ship to a division rival?), I'm thinking Fox would rather show an eastern time zone team so that they don't have to start broadcasting half of the games an hour earlier there.

2. If the Atlanta market solidifies behind the Preds over the next year or two, and then an AHL franchise comes in that is affiliated with another NHL team.

for a rebuttal to my own concerns...

1. Though they usually had some kind of hockey programming on for the hour prior to games anyway, so maybe they can just scrap that and start right in at 6:00 with the game broadcast.

2. I just don't see the AHL coming to Atlanta, a future NHL team is more likely. And after two franchise have left, it's unfortunately probably in the very distant future.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:28 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I'm loving the influx of Atlanta posters!

I do have two concerns about the future though...

1. Fox Sports has confirmed through e-mails that they are working on getting the NHL shown in Atlanta next season, but not sure if it's the Preds, Cans or Bolts. While I think it's clear that most Thrashers fans would prefer the Predators (not only for ease of travel to see them play, but who would want to jump ship to a division rival?), I'm thinking Fox would rather show an eastern time zone team so that they don't have to start broadcasting half of the games an hour earlier there.

2. If the Atlanta market solidifies behind the Preds over the next year or two, and then an AHL franchise comes in that is affiliated with another NHL team.

for a rebuttal to my own concerns...

1. Though they usually had some kind of hockey programming on for the hour prior to games anyway, so maybe they can just scrap that and start right in at 6:00 with the game broadcast.

2. I just don't see the AHL coming to Atlanta, a future NHL team is more likely. And after two franchise have left, it's unfortunately probably in the very distant future.
Two things:

1) I have also heard that Fox Sports is trying to get either the Preds or Canes shown here but haven't heard anything about TB
2) What time do Preds games usually start Central time? If they start at 6 pm central then that wouldn't be a change because most Thrasher games started at 7pm Eastern(6 Central).

Old
06-25-2011, 10:33 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Preds games usually start at 7pm Central, which is 8pm eastern

Old
06-25-2011, 10:55 AM
HeyYouGuys

I was watching the beginning of the draft last night to see who Winnipeg would select, and TSN kept showing shots of the Peggers at MTS Centre saying, "and the Jets fans have packed out the MTS Centre tonight..." but the place was EMPTY except for 3 sections in the lower level. I realize a draft party isn't going to draw a lot of people, but TSN certianly didn't need to say they packed it out every chance they had.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I don't know if I've gone on record with this before or not, I've always thought we should partner with the Gladiators and get our AHL team rolling in Memphis, especially if we end up in the East. If you already have an established, well-supported ECHL club, why not pair up with them and let them do their thing?

Plus, for Memphis, inexpensive pro hockey downtown would a great way to help propagate the sport in an area where it has really lagged behind in infrastructure. I mean, last time I checked, there was NO permanent ice in Memphis; all the youth and high school teams play at DSC during the RiverKings' season.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Preds games usually start at 7pm Central, which is 8pm eastern
Oh ok so then that would actually be an hour later instead of an hour earlier like he was worried about. I wouldn't mind if Fox Sports ended up showing the Canes or Bolts but I think i'd prefer the Preds.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

the best part, i think, is all these people making "congrats on getting your team back" threads who have never even touched the jets/thrashers forum beforehand. i remember the day of the announcement there was an RIP Thrashers thread except the post was "GO JETS GO".

I guess I'm still bitter. Huh.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:13 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
There's nothing wrong with being bitter. I still remember the day of the announcement that we were getting a team. It was an early birthday present from the NHL to me. 14 years to this day.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
There's nothing wrong with being bitter.
Here, here. You're certainly not along, headsigh.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Oh ok so then that would actually be an hour later instead of an hour earlier like he was worried about. I wouldn't mind if Fox Sports ended up showing the Canes or Bolts but I think i'd prefer the Preds.
Haha, I was going the wrong way with the time zone. either way an hours difference might make an impact on the decision. Although there was some talk about the Preds starting their games earlier next season, don't know what came of that.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Haha, I was going the wrong way with the time zone. either way an hours difference might make an impact on the decision. Although there was some talk about the Preds starting their games earlier next season, don't know what came of that.
Haha no problem. Starting your games earlier would probably be a bad idea because it wouldn't really allow people who work in the city to get off and go home to change, get the kids or spouse and then go back to downtown to the arena. Start time was one of the complaints among many Thrasher fans considering Atlanta rush hour traffic is one of the worst. How do the Predators draw on Friday and Saturday nights during football season?

Old
06-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Last year we did pretty well but we had a very accommodating schedule. I'm hoping that we can do as well with a schedule that isn't as loaded.

Our home Saturdays were Anaheim (opening game), Washington, Chicago, and NYR during the college football season. Maybe Carolina--can't remember exactly when the last football game was. We had no Friday night games at home until April.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:29 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Last year we did pretty well but we had a very accommodating schedule. I'm hoping that we can do as well with a schedule that isn't as loaded.

Our home Saturdays were Anaheim (opening game), Washington, Chicago, and NYR during the college football season. Maybe Carolina--can't remember exactly when the last football game was. We had no Friday night games at home until April.
Wow you guys lucked out because i'm sure high school football is big up there in Tennessee like it is here in Georgia. Division wise who is the biggest draw? My guess would be probably Detroit. Hoping to make a road trip up there sometime during the season and as of right now kinda eyeing the Blues game on December 16th.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

being bitter is not something that will go away for me any time soon.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:37 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I think all of us will curse ASG for quite a while but I think the best way to cope with it is to see the game we love whether it be heading to Duluth for some Gladiator games or taking road trips to Nashville to catch the Preds.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Wow you guys lucked out because i'm sure high school football is big up there in Tennessee like it is here in Georgia. Division wise who is the biggest draw? My guess would be probably Detroit. Hoping to make a road trip up there sometime during the season and as of right now kinda eyeing the Blues game on December 16th.
We've never had many Friday night games. We have lots of home Tuesday and Thursday games, a few Monday night games and the odd Sunday afternoon game. They learned early on that unless we were playing Detroit or another huge visitor draw they couldn't compete with the churchgoers, so Wednesday nights are rarely hockey nights at home.

Division draws: Detroit, Chicago and the Blues. Columbus represents but nothing like the other three. Chicago fans sort of came out of the woodwork--there were busloads of them! That's what winning a Cup will do, I guess. Blues are here a lot on weekends, but not so much on weeknights.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I'm still bitter that the Whalers left Hartford, but I manage now that I've moved to Nashville and have the Predators to cheer on.

The bitterness will never go away completely, but hopefully you find a way to move past some of it to enjoy the sport of hockey once again.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:51 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
We've never had many Friday night games. We have lots of home Tuesday and Thursday games, a few Monday night games and the odd Sunday afternoon game. They learned early on that unless we were playing Detroit or another huge visitor draw they couldn't compete with the churchgoers, so Wednesday nights are rarely hockey nights at home.

Division draws: Detroit, Chicago and the Blues. Columbus represents but nothing like the other three. Chicago fans sort of came out of the woodwork--there were busloads of them! That's what winning a Cup will do, I guess. Blues are here a lot on weekends, but not so much on weeknights.
Is the place usually packed on weeknight games? I'm sure many Detroit and Chicago fans now call the Nashville area home now just like Atlanta has many many transplants from all over. Nashville may see an influx of visiting team fans with people coming up from the Atlanta area to see their favorite team since they can't do that in the ATL with the Thrashers moving.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

We have a lot of Detroit fans in the area because of the auto industry and I suppose there are a lot of Chicago transplants, too.

Sometimes it's packed on weeknights, sometimes not, but the marketing folks just got better and better at filling the barn over the course of the year. By March and April, you WOULD be standing in a line to get concessions or to use the facilities, whether you were there on Monday or Saturday. Ah, it's a pain, but I will happily give up my ease in purchasing concessions in exchange for attendance. Even for Red Wings.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:00 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Hey Thrash fans- Are you guys planning to all cram into one section when the Jets come to Nashville? I probably have at least 15-20 people that are planning on going to the game, and would love for us to all join you if we do. Likely, probably will be pushing 30-40 when we start to buy tickets. We could also discuss possibly combining groups, to maybe look into group ticketing.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Bongo

Last season Fox Sport South showed rebroadcasts of both Preds and Canes games in the middle of the night. I see no reason why both couldn't offered to the Atlanta area. That would be too sweet.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Hey Thrash fans- Are you guys planning to all cram into one section when the Jets come to Nashville? I probably have at least 15-20 people that are planning on going to the game, and would love for us to all join you if we do. Likely, probably will be pushing 30-40 when we start to buy tickets. We could also discuss possibly combining groups, to maybe look into group ticketing.
I don't plan on going to that game. I understand that alot of fans may want to go just so they can have their formal goodbye because Atlanta never really got to say that to the team but it would just be too weird for me seeing my old team playing in different uniforms for a different city.

Closed Thread