HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Sunshine36616

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
I'll be there (from atlanta) but wearing a preds jersey and hoping for a 10-0 preds win.
Me, too! Will be telling them we miss them during warm ups...hoping for a big fat loss on the ice lol.

Old
10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

What is team USA thinking? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=595470

Old
10-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

That honestly looks like something from The Onion. Too bad it's NOT.

Old
10-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
I asked Mirtle that question this AM ... and got no response

Old
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Is there actually a "contingent" of devils fans in atlanta? I figured you were just playing along with the whole fan draft thing y'all did.
The others are coming from new jersey, but yes. There's a good bit of devs fans in Atlanta.

Old
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
The others are coming from new jersey, but yes. There's a good bit of devs fans in Atlanta.
I still think that is part of why the Thrashers failed. Too many transplants who only went to see their old team and not enough home grown interest.

Old
10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I still think that is part of why the Thrashers failed. Too many transplants who only went to see their old team and not enough home grown interest.
Kind of knew it was bad when atlanta had the trade your jersey program

Old
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Well, there weren't any Devils fans until 1995 either, so....

Old
10-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Noone said he could not coach. But Drafting and managing a team

Old
10-11-2011, 11:45 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Is there actually a "contingent" of devils fans in atlanta? I figured you were just playing along with the whole fan draft thing y'all did.
When Atlanta was awarded the 1996 Olympics, *everyone* moved here. From everywhere. New York, Boston, Saskatoon, Los Angeles, Toronto, etc... you name it, people moved here. It was a time of huge growth for the city of Atlanta.

Did you know that, at one time, I-75/I-85 through downtown was only three lanes wide in each direction? Yep.

Getting to the point, though, when everyone came here, they brought their team allegiances with them.

So, yeah, there's a contingent of fans here for practically every major league sport ... and some minor league teams, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
"Random" NHL city will be a huge challenge, but the easiest/best way is the March 24th game against the Peg in Nashville. I'll be there fo sho!
Well, I understand that clearly. However, I feel like visiting Nashville, Raleigh, Tampa or Sunrise would sort of be "expected." Well, maybe not Sunrise so much, but you know what I mean.

Also, I certainly don't mean this as something to be done this year ...or anytime soon, really. I'm just looking back on what the Nordique fans did last year, you know? Thousands of them, bused into Nassau Coliseum, to take in the Thrashers visiting the Islanders.

Just a little something to say "hey, we remember the Thrashers, and we're going to make sure no one forgets them." Because honestly, before those folks started making a spectacle of themselves, how often were the Nordiques in the US national press since the time of their departure?

Quote:
Well, to be fair, the Thrashers never had time to establish a home grown fanbase. That said, home grown fans start at home, and a lot of people moving here aren't just singles looking to hook up with a cute southern chick and start a family, the people moving here are families. They come, and bring with them their love of [insert city name here] sports with 'em.

I embraced the Thrashers with arms wide open, and loved the team wholly. Yes, I cheered on my Red Wings, too -- except when they played Atlanta. I made the Thrashers my number one team, and did everything I was able to support them. Up to and including attending that "rally to save the Thrashers" that happened just a few short weeks before the team was sent packing.

We can sit here all day and say "what if" about transplants maintaining their team allegiance, but that won't help things. While it truly was an issue with those transplants failing to show some sort of support for the Thrashers, that's not the root of the problem. The root is Atlanta Spirit never wanted this team to begin with, and only bought them because AOLTW wouldn't split the Thrashers from the Hawks and Philips.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:15 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Well, to be fair, the Thrashers never had time to establish a home grown fanbase. That said, home grown fans start at home, and a lot of people moving here aren't just singles looking to hook up with a cute southern chick and start a family, the people moving here are families. They come, and bring with them their love of [insert city name here] sports with 'em.

I embraced the Thrashers with arms wide open, and loved the team wholly. Yes, I cheered on my Red Wings, too -- except when they played Atlanta. I made the Thrashers my number one team, and did everything I was able to support them. Up to and including attending that "rally to save the Thrashers" that happened just a few short weeks before the team was sent packing.

We can sit here all day and say "what if" about transplants maintaining their team allegiance, but that won't help things. While it truly was an issue with those transplants failing to show some sort of support for the Thrashers, that's not the root of the problem. The root is Atlanta Spirit never wanted this team to begin with, and only bought them because AOLTW wouldn't split the Thrashers from the Hawks and Philips.
I agree with that but I would also add the Thrashers never had enough success either as success usually draws more interest regardless of what people say. Don't get me wrong as i'm not trying to lay the burden of blame on people who moved to the area from other parts of the country. It is just noticeable to someone who has lived in the ATL area since I was born and it's not just exclusive to the Thrashers. Ever seen Turner Field when Boston or the Yankees come into town? Surely most of those people are not from out of state just traveling with the team, I bet a great number of Red Sox and Yankee fans live here but are absent from Turner Field unless their team is in town.

Old
10-12-2011, 06:25 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
I agree with that but I would also add the Thrashers never had enough success either as success usually draws more interest regardless of what people say. Don't get me wrong as i'm not trying to lay the burden of blame on people who moved to the area from other parts of the country. It is just noticeable to someone who has lived in the ATL area since I was born and it's not just exclusive to the Thrashers.
Oh, no doubt. I've been here since I was very little, and I've seen it all myself, too.

Success would have helped; however, it would have helped too if the people in a position to create success had done so. It's a sad case of the chicken or the egg.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
............, it would have helped too if the people in a position to create success had done so. It's a sad case of the chicken or the egg.

This.

ASG was too busy fightning with Belkin to concentrate on both the Hawks and Thrashers.

Old
10-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Very well said and I agree. I mean you have your hard core hockey fans (like the ones who spend too much time on a hockey web board) who are going to come out regardless, but to get the casual fan, you have to win. Atlanta is a terrible sports town and with so much of a choice of what to spend your disposable income on, those people want to see a winner. When you have owners that don't care if the team wins or not, it's just a disaster. What a cluster *beep*

Old
10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
This.

ASG was too busy fightning with Belkin to concentrate on both the Hawks and Thrashers.
Well, this IS true, BUT even if they weren't, it wouldn't have mattered. A$G never game a damn about the Thrashers. Basketball was their only interest.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:00 PM
dj4aces

Just a little tidbit of info...

Craig Custance posted a blog today on ESPN's INsider page regarding Atlanta.

I'm not sure what the policy about copy/pasting those sort of articles onto HFB are, but someone on Facebook was kind enough to post the entire article on the "KeepTheThrashers" page, and that post can be found by clicking here.

I have my thoughts. Some of you know what I think. A few of you even know what I know. With that, I'll say this:

Waddell is 100% correct with regards to how Bettman feels about Atlanta.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Just a little tidbit of info...

Craig Custance posted a blog today on ESPN's INsider page regarding Atlanta.

I'm not sure what the policy about copy/pasting those sort of articles onto HFB are, but someone on Facebook was kind enough to post the entire article on the "KeepTheThrashers" page, and that post can be found by clicking here.

I have my thoughts. Some of you know what I think. A few of you even know what I know. With that, I'll say this:

Waddell is 100% correct with regards to how Bettman feels about Atlanta.
Maybe so but does anyone really see the NHL expanding beyond 30 teams? I doubt any of us would want to go through the expansion process again and deal with the early growing pains. Is re-location to Atlanta even an option as well? Also what would you want to call the team? Knights? Thrashers? or something else? I guess i'm just a bit more skeptical on this, but in the mean time i'll enjoy the Preds and the Glads.

Old
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Maybe so but does anyone really see the NHL expanding beyond 30 teams?
In the near future? I can see a two-team expansion. Really, depends on what happens in Phoenix and, if it comes down to it, where Phoenix goes.

In the article cited above, Waddell says there are other teams "in worse financial trouble" than the Thrashers were. The Thrashers were moved because, according to him, they were the easiest team to move. Many of the ones in trouble are actually tied down. From what D-Wad said, some of those other owners would have jumped at the chance to sell their team for "$180 million."

Could Atlanta end up being the new home of any number of other teams in trouble? It's a possibility.

If there's anything the pessimists here should learn from Winnipeg, it's "never say die."

As for some other the other questions... eh, I think the "Thrashers" brand is tarnished beyond repair. Phoenix? It's not just a city, it's also a bird that appears on the city seal:

Last edited by dj4aces: 10-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
In the near future? I can see a two-team expansion. Really, depends on what happens in Phoenix and, if it comes down to it, where Phoenix goes.
You may be right and Teflon Don may be right, but I'm going to have to hear it from somebody higher up than him to believe we'll ever get another shot.

Yes, you have a point about the Winnipeg example. I'm just convinced the deck is stacked too much against us in a lot of ways. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:

In the article cited above, Waddell says there are other teams "in worse financial trouble" than the Thrashers were. The Thrashers were moved because, according to him, they were the easiest team to move. Many of the ones in trouble are actually tied down. From what D-Wad said, some of those other owners would have jumped at the chance to sell their team for "$180 million."

Could Atlanta end up being the new home of any number of other teams in trouble? It's a possibility.

If there's anything the pessimists here should learn from Winnipeg, it's "never say die."

As for some other the other questions... eh, I think the "Thrashers" brand is tarnished beyond repair. Phoenix? It's not just a city, it's also a bird that appears on the city seal:

"Atlanta Phoenix" isn't a bad idea although i'm kinda partial to seeing a return of the Knights which happens to be the only professional hockey team to bring a championship to Atlanta.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
"Atlanta Phoenix" isn't a bad idea although i'm kinda partial to seeing a return of the Knights which happens to be the only professional hockey team to bring a championship to Atlanta.
Didn't the Jr. Thrashers youth hockey program rebrand themselves as the Atlanta Phoenix over the summer?

Old
10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Didn't the Jr. Thrashers youth hockey program rebrand themselves as the Atlanta Phoenix over the summer?
I believe you would be correct.http://www.iceforum.com/

The iceforum is the home of the Atlanta Phoenix.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
You may be right and Teflon Don may be right, but I'm going to have to hear it from somebody higher up than him to believe we'll ever get another shot.

Yes, you have a point about the Winnipeg example. I'm just convinced the deck is stacked too much against us in a lot of ways. Hope I'm wrong, though.
I have a distinct feeling that if you were to ask many of the Winnipeg posters here about that, they'd say the same.

Never lose hope.

I don't inherently "believe" what Donny Wads is selling, I just know that Bettman didn't want to leave the Atlanta market. A return to Atlanta is inevitable. The question isn't if, it's when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
You're right, and I completely forgot about that. For me, that was a name I had been throwing around in jest all summer long.

The Knights would be an interesting name, though. Considering the fans are going to yell "knights" during the anthem no matter what, you might as well make it official!

Old
10-13-2011, 12:49 AM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
It has been brought to my attention that those of us in the Carolinas and Georgia can get 50% off pizza the day after a Hurricanes win: www.papajohns.com/caniac/

Old
10-13-2011, 12:54 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Bettman's hand was pretty much forced when it comes to Atlanta hockey. Sometimes to cure the cancer, you have to lose an arm....A$G was that cancerous arm.

Winnipeg was in perfect position to take advantage. Think about it... Of all the potential relocation cities out there, they were the only ones with A-An ownership group willing to spend the money, B-A fanbase they knew would buy the product in what's a worldwide economic downturn (Honestly, a no-risk situation for the league. Selling pro hockey in Winnipeg is like selling college football in the Southeast; there's really no selling involved), and C-They had an NHL ready barn. i can't think of any other place in the US/Canada that had that particular combination.

Closed Thread