HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
Bettman's hand was pretty much forced when it comes to Atlanta hockey. Sometimes to cure the cancer, you have to lose an arm....A$G was that cancerous arm.

Winnipeg was in perfect position to take advantage. Think about it... Of all the potential relocation cities out there, they were the only ones with A-An ownership group willing to spend the money, B-A fanbase they knew would buy the product in what's a worldwide economic downturn (Honestly, a no-risk situation for the league. Selling pro hockey in Winnipeg is like selling college football in the Southeast; there's really no selling involved), and C-They had an NHL ready barn. i can't think of any other place in the US/Canada that had that particular combination.
Let's see in 4-5 years, they could be just as awful as right now. Remember the old Jets were a pretty mediocre hockey team too.

Old
10-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Bongo

Have you people learned nothing the last few years?
A. You can't believe a word that comes out of Don Waddell's mouth.
B. Gary Bettman's credibility is even worse.
C. Even the casual hockey fan in Atlanta is so pissed at how this all went down a 3rd try would be a very hard sell. It'll never happen.

ASG not only screwed Thrasher fans, they pretty much killed any hope of the NHL ever working in this town.

Old
10-13-2011, 07:51 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Let's see in 4-5 years, they could be just as awful as right now. Remember the old Jets were a pretty mediocre hockey team too.
That's the thing that gets me why did the folks in Winnipeg want the "Jets" back when they were just a mediocre team to begin with?

Old
10-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
That's the thing that gets me why did the folks in Winnipeg want the "Jets" back when they were just a mediocre team to begin with?
Because it's their team, I totally get this. The Thrashers pretty much sucked all but one year and I'd take them back in heart beat.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:27 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
It has been brought to my attention that those of us in the Carolinas and Georgia can get 50% off pizza the day after a Hurricanes win: www.papajohns.com/caniac/
I saw this on the Blue Jackets arena feed last night, too. I assume the BJs one is only available to Ohio residents, though.

Nice to see the Canes have one, and that Georgia is included. That means I can get cheap pizza when the Canes win, then turn around and get free Arby's fries when the Wings score a hat trick.

Hockey is going to make me fat. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
A: You're bitter.
B. You're bitter.
C. You're very bitter.

I get it. You're upset. We're all upset. One day, though, you'll look back and see everything for what it is through objective eyes, rather than through biased eyes.

Knowing what I know, Waddell is at the very least correct about Bettman. Even Helen Keller knows Bettman didn't want to leave the Atlanta market, but he didn't really have a choice. Bettman made Winnipeg a promise that they'd get a NHL team. When Glendale gave Bettman the shakedown money, our fate was sealed.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
A. You can't believe a word that comes out of Don Waddell's mouth.
B. Gary Bettman's credibility is even worse.
C. Even the casual hockey fan in Atlanta is so pissed at how this all went down a 3rd try would be a very hard sell. It'll never happen.

ASG not only screwed Thrasher fans, they pretty much killed any hope of the NHL ever working in this town.
sadly, I would think you're gonna need an arena thats either owned by the city or by a potential hockey ownership group before you can consider getting a new team.

seems like the best hope, short of a billionaire building his own arena, would be whoever bought the Hawks and Phillips realizes they would be better off with a second major tenant and decides to pursue a hockey team.

problem with that will be the question of why they didnt just do that in the first place...

Old
10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Bongo

Aces: That's it? That's your response? Okay.

You're God damned right I'm bitter. That doesn't make me blind to the facts. If Bettman was so keen on Atlanta then why was that lame interview with the AJC hack all we got? No public statement in print or on their website. How many times over the years have we heard him say every franchise is doing just fine. One year ago he said Thrasher fans had nothing to worry about. How many times did Don Waddell say this team wasn't going anywhere. Gary and Don have being lying so long now, they do it subconsciously; like politicians.

Another reason we won't be going to any NHL games here soon:
It took 20 years to replace the Flames and they left with a winning record and great attendance. Anytime anybody mentions Atlanta, they're gonna be shown clips of the last couple of seasons with all the empty seats.

And no more of this, if you knew what I knew crap. Who do you think you are, John Kincaid?

Old
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
And no more of this, if you knew what I knew crap. Who do you think you are, John Kincaid?
Was the insult really necessary?

The difference is, I know things. He either doesn't, or he's unwilling to tell anyone anything. I'll let you decide his motives.

Bettman didn't want to leave Atlanta. You're free to believe otherwise, but I'm telling you the facts. The NHL will return, whether you like it or not.

Old
10-13-2011, 07:08 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
Because it's their team, I totally get this. The Thrashers pretty much sucked all but one year and I'd take them back in heart beat.
I for one would not want another Thrashers team. That name is too tarnished, I would much rather it be the Knights or a new name all togethher.

Old
10-13-2011, 07:14 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I would rather the Flames came back. But that isn't happening.

I think there will be a 3rd NHL franchise in Atlanta, but I do not think it's going to in the immediate timeframe. As much as it will be miserable and horrible and unfair, I wouldn't be surprised if we're going to be stuck with 10-15 years without NHL hockey like Winnipeg or even more. But it'll be back. Hopefully for good.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:49 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post

Knowing what I know, Waddell is at the very least correct about Bettman. Even Helen Keller knows Bettman didn't want to leave the Atlanta market, but he didn't really have a choice. Bettman made Winnipeg a promise that they'd get a NHL team. When Glendale gave Bettman the shakedown money, our fate was sealed.
1. Who forced Bettman to promise a team to someone?
2. It was the NHL shaking down Glendale, not the other way around. If they loved Atlanta so much, why bother with the shakedown? Just sell the Yotes back to Winnipeg.
3. After they got their money in Glendale, why did Bettman or Daly not bother to even make a PR visit to fight for Atlanta. Daly just hopped on a plane from Phoenix to the World Championships in Europe. What a pressing engagement that must have been?

Aces, stop being a sucker.

The NHL fixes ownership issues all the time, they let our guys rot on the vine. After Hulsizer gave up on Phoenix, Bettman gave him St. Louis's number not ours. Bettman cares about Atlanta, he just happens to care about 30-33 more markets more than ours. He is a born liar just like Waddell.

I have no doubt there are rich people dumb enough to trust the NHL in Atlanta again. Unless there is no relocation/expansion fee and a 20 year no relocation clause I won't trust them.

The good news is there will be an opportunity for a rival league when we get the next NHL strike/lockout, a new WHA is probably the only way hockey in Atlanta will work. Let the NHL be a 16 team league, as most of those whiny elitists want it anyway, 8 in Canada 8 in the States. I expect a 2-4 team contraction at the next labor stoppage anyway.

Last edited by btn: 10-13-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old
10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
dj4aces

First, you ought to read a bit more carefully. If you can't find your mistake, I'm not going to point it out to you.

Second, from now on, my lips are sealed. I'll not share nor comment on this any longer.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

You are the one who said that Bettman didn't want to leave Atlanta, yet you say he promised Winnipeg a team....knowing that it was either going to be Phoenix or Atlanta based on the situation. How on earth does that make any sense?

And if you are somehow implying that Phoenix gets moved to Atlanta, you have got to be out of your mind. Relocating one franchise that had been in a town for over a decade, just to replace it with a different franchise within a year or two(I suppose in a building that is owned by the same morons that ran the last team into the ground)? The NHL wouldn't even do something that dumb for a $200 million relocation fee, and they LOVE those fees. Especially when they have a brand new city in Quebec City that they can hold hostage(and that eagerly wants to be held hostage by the NHL) and extort money and services out of. It is pretty clear at this point the civic and business leaders of Atlanta won't lift a finger to help the NHL in Atlanta, in fact Home Depot and Coke sponsor logos on the Jets own ice.

Of course you know everything, and probably don't have to explain this clever game the NHL is playing with Atlanta.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:17 AM
dj4aces

I've not alluded to anything regarding Phoenix and its possible relocation. I certainly hope they don't have to endure the pain we have.

Moving right along, the last thing I want is to wear out my welcome here. No more. You're welcome to believe what you wish. Leave me out of it.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Bongo

It's easy to say leave me out of it but when you make comment's like this "The difference is, I know things. He either doesn't, or he's unwilling to tell anyone anything. I'll let you decide his motives.

Bettman didn't want to leave Atlanta. You're free to believe otherwise, but I'm telling you the facts. The NHL will return, whether you like it or not." without backing it up or revealing what you know, it hurts your credibility. You know like John Kincaid. If you find that insulting I'm sorry but Thrasher fans have already had to deal with this.

So if you know something, share it. if you can't or won't that's fine to just don't bring it up.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Saw a guy in a Hossa jersey walking out of the pro shop with preds gear. It made enduring that loss worth it.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:20 AM
dj4aces

Quote:
So if you know something, share it. if you can't or won't that's fine to just don't bring it up.
You don't have to worry about it any longer.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Bongo

That's what I thought. More bs just like Kincaid.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Come on guys give it a rest already.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not nearly as privy to the situation as you guys, so was there a lease in place when the Thrashers moved?

Old
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Saw a guy in a Hossa jersey walking out of the pro shop with preds gear. It made enduring that loss worth it.
That was me! Wish you would of said hello!

Old
10-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I figured it might have been someone on here, but I thought "Hi there. I'm from the internet." might have scared a normal person away

EDIT: Congrats on making Paul Mccann's picture slideshow too! http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-...ville/24/38867

Old
10-14-2011, 03:33 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I figured it might have been someone on here, but I thought "Hi there. I'm from the internet." might have scared a normal person away

Yes, if that wouldn't happen to be "someone from the internet", you would certainly receive a strange look.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
predfan98

Quote:

Yes, if that wouldn't happen to be "someone from the internet", you would certainly receive a strange look.
it is definitely weird..... like the first time i went to the glass for warmups years ago, and asked a couple of people if they posted on the np message board....until i finally found someone that said yes!!

Old
10-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
I saw you, too!

I did say hello to a guy named Tony who was wearing a Thrashers jersey. He came to the gathering place at 102/103. Was on my way upstairs so I couldn't talk long.

Closed Thread