HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
good God. Bacashihua ****ing blows.

so lets see we have Backlund, Leighton and now Bacashihua in the minors.
Someone getting traded?
That name just spells STARDOM!

Or.....career BACupashihua.....

Old
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
good God. Bacashihua ****ing blows.

so lets see we have Backlund, Leighton and now Bacashihua in the minors.
Someone getting traded?
He had pretty good numbers in the AHL last year. It's a bit strange though, we were sort of in a need for a goalie that's waiver exempt and he isn't if I've understood those rules (very much a possibility that I haven't though...)

Old
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm reading that it was Phoenix who signed him.

Last edited by jd2210: 07-07-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old
07-07-2011, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
who?

Old
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Philly did

Old
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Yeah, according to this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=915986&page=37 on the Trade Rumors board, Bacachihuahua signed with the Coyotes. They refer to someone named Renaud Lavoie, don't know how trustworthy he is.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

so does that mean Backlund is done?

Old
07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
so does that mean Backlund is done?
Did he even ever "begin?"

Guy has been a big disappointment...all that BS with his injury and not progressing as fast last year was a sign.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Kevin Marshall, Kyle Mountain, and Marcel Noebels were the winners of Trial on the Isle. I'll be going to prospect camp tomorrow, so expect a report some time tomorrow.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Kevin Marshall, Kyle Mountain, and Marcel Noebels were the winners of Trial on the Isle. I'll be going to prospect camp tomorrow, so expect a report some time tomorrow.
That would explain the picture I saw of Marshall with two guys I didnt recognize all giving the camera the "we're number 1 sign"

Old
07-09-2011, 11:13 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Darroll Powe wore #36.

Caught you with your funk down.
The key word there was TALENTED...

Old
07-09-2011, 01:33 PM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
To scare everyone, I think Walker will be in the NHL if they have the capspace.
To further this and take it for what it is worth..... But a guy I know said while he was talking to Matt Walker while he was at home in Beaverlodge this spring, Holmgren apparently told him that he would play and "make sure YOU are ready and over your injury!!

Beaverlodge is only 20min away from where I live and this guy I spoke with doesnt make things up. Believe me or not I dont really care.... He definitely knows Matt.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Went to camp today. Unfortunately, they only practiced today. I'm guessing they did away with the scrimmaging, which was my favorite part. Anyway, here are some thoughts:

-First thing I noticed. Jesus Christ is Tom Sestito big. He was bigger than Lauridsen. I thought it was Dustin Byfuglien on the ice for a second. He has size, and when he has the puck he uses it to his advantage. His skating is a different story. Either he wasn't trying(he didn't look like he was giving it all, seemed almost annoyed), or is just that slow. His hands were decent for a guy that big.
-Schenn didn't really jump out at me, and as others said he looked like he was trying too hard to show off. In some drills you could tell that he was the most talented player on the ice with flashes of brilliance, but not the dominance I saw from Giroux & JVR in previous years.
-I can tell you right now Derek Mathers will never make the NHL, extremely slow with no hands. Nothing earth shattering there though.
-Akeson looked pretty good. He's smaller than I thought he was, but has good hands and speed.
-Couturier was in the second session, and he was one of the better players on the ice. He battled in the drills, and had some flashes of brilliance.
-Holmstrom was one of the more impressive players in his session. He was flying around, winning puck battles, scoring, making moves. He will be a very effective bottom 6 NHL player some day. Good speed and instincts.
-Ranford was pretty average. He has a cannon of a shot, but kept trying to make ridiculous dekes to get past guys instead of using it to his advantage. He has good hands, he just needs to get in the position to use them.
-Matt Read was also one of the best players in either session. He has phenomenal speed, and isn't afraid to mix it up in the corners and play physical. Had a couple nice moves and has a good shot. I have a feeling he'll be on the Flyers at some point this year.
-Rowe is extremely fast, and uses it to his advantage. He looked pretty good.
-Zolnierczyk did not participate in either session, don't know why.
-Blidstrand got beat on a lot of 1-1s, and you could tell the coaches were becoming increasingly frustrated with his reluctance to take the body. It got to the point where one of the coaches took him and Sestito behind the net, and the coach started cross checking Sestito into the boards to show Blidstrand what to do. Sestito was like, is this really happening? The coach was a good 6-8" shorter than he was. It was pretty funny.
-Again, I was disappointed by Kevin Marshall and MA Bourdon. As 2 year AHL vets, they didn't seem to stand out from the pack of defenseman at all.
-I like what I saw from Suellentrop. He was by far the most physical of the defenseman, and wasn't afraid to use his size. This was very evident in the 1 on 1 drills in the corners. He got beat a couple times, but I was just happy to see a defenseman who was physical.
-Goalies were meh. Hovinen is massive, and has a massive five hole.

That brings me to my final thought, the guy that was very clearly the best player on the ice, and was extremely impressive. Erik Gustafsson. People use the Timonen comparison a lot, and I wasn't a fan of it, but I can see exactly where they get it. He's not big, but is very technically and positionally sound. He was going up against two of the better forwards out there in Read and Holmstrom in the corner drills every rotation, and won almost every time. He didn't get beat easily, and didn't make many mistakes at all. He's a very good skater as well. He looked much better than anyone out there, especially the other defensemen.

All the other guys were pretty meh, not good but not bad. I didn't see anything promising from any of the tryout guys either.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

^ Good stuff. Hopefully Gus wins the 6th spot.

Old
07-09-2011, 02:40 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Few thoughts from prospect camp this morning...

- holmstrom looked very good today. He was a standout in every drill, especially the 1 on 1 corner drills.
- couturier needs to put on weight. He breezes through the stick handling drills and made some very nice defensive plays, but he wasnt able to use his body as well as he should be able to with his frame. This is to be expected though. If he puts on some pounds, I could definately see him being NHL ready.
- Brayden schenn needs to work on his skating, but he was making defenseman look absolutely silly in the 1 on 1 drills.
- Ranford is just about clueless in his own end.
- nick luukko had made some good strides. He made some very nice defensive plays and plays a very calm game.
- Phillips was the best defenseman on the ice today.
-testwuide is a very hard working kid. He also moves very well for his size.
-sestito has some hands down low! He also knows how to use hs body.
-Rinaldo puked over the bench after suicides...

Old
07-09-2011, 02:58 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Went to camp today. Unfortunately, they only practiced today. I'm guessing they did away with the scrimmaging, which was my favorite part. Anyway, here are some thoughts:

-First thing I noticed. Jesus Christ is Tom Sestito big. He was bigger than Lauridsen. I thought it was Dustin Byfuglien on the ice for a second. He has size, and when he has the puck he uses it to his advantage. His skating is a different story. Either he wasn't trying(he didn't look like he was giving it all, seemed almost annoyed), or is just that slow. His hands were decent for a guy that big.
-Schenn didn't really jump out at me, and as others said he looked like he was trying too hard to show off. In some drills you could tell that he was the most talented player on the ice with flashes of brilliance, but not the dominance I saw from Giroux & JVR in previous years.
-I can tell you right now Derek Mathers will never make the NHL, extremely slow with no hands. Nothing earth shattering there though.
-Akeson looked pretty good. He's smaller than I thought he was, but has good hands and speed.
-Couturier was in the second session, and he was one of the better players on the ice. He battled in the drills, and had some flashes of brilliance.
-Holmstrom was one of the more impressive players in his session. He was flying around, winning puck battles, scoring, making moves. He will be a very effective bottom 6 NHL player some day. Good speed and instincts.
-Ranford was pretty average. He has a cannon of a shot, but kept trying to make ridiculous dekes to get past guys instead of using it to his advantage. He has good hands, he just needs to get in the position to use them.
-Matt Read was also one of the best players in either session. He has phenomenal speed, and isn't afraid to mix it up in the corners and play physical. Had a couple nice moves and has a good shot. I have a feeling he'll be on the Flyers at some point this year.
-Rowe is extremely fast, and uses it to his advantage. He looked pretty good.
-Zolnierczyk did not participate in either session, don't know why.
-Blidstrand got beat on a lot of 1-1s, and you could tell the coaches were becoming increasingly frustrated with his reluctance to take the body. It got to the point where one of the coaches took him and Sestito behind the net, and the coach started cross checking Sestito into the boards to show Blidstrand what to do. Sestito was like, is this really happening? The coach was a good 6-8" shorter than he was. It was pretty funny.
-Again, I was disappointed by Kevin Marshall and MA Bourdon. As 2 year AHL vets, they didn't seem to stand out from the pack of defenseman at all.
-I like what I saw from Suellentrop. He was by far the most physical of the defenseman, and wasn't afraid to use his size. This was very evident in the 1 on 1 drills in the corners. He got beat a couple times, but I was just happy to see a defenseman who was physical.
-Goalies were meh. Hovinen is massive, and has a massive five hole.

That brings me to my final thought, the guy that was very clearly the best player on the ice, and was extremely impressive. Erik Gustafsson. People use the Timonen comparison a lot, and I wasn't a fan of it, but I can see exactly where they get it. He's not big, but is very technically and positionally sound. He was going up against two of the better forwards out there in Read and Holmstrom in the corner drills every rotation, and won almost every time. He didn't get beat easily, and didn't make many mistakes at all. He's a very good skater as well. He looked much better than anyone out there, especially the other defensemen.

All the other guys were pretty meh, not good but not bad. I didn't see anything promising from any of the tryout guys either.
Thanks for the review.

Unfortunately Mathers will never have the skills to make it to the NHL. I think when we drafted him I compared him to Stu Grimson (at least I meant to if I didn't), and I stand by that. I think his ceiling will be the AHL as a VERY tough guy or else he'll be one of the ECHL/CHL kind of guys. He's a big dude though and has a very interesting fighting style where he holds his opponent far away from him for some time and then tries to uppercut with the right.

Old
07-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Mgkibbles

Few thoughts from camp.

Schenn was rather lackluster, he was pushed around frequently in 1 on 1 drills, and it's obvious he still needs to add muscle.

Couturier looked very good. His hands are very quick and smooth, and he has good strength for his age.

Oliver Lauridsen was the most impressive player at the camp today. He dominated 1 on 1 drills with his reach and strength. The battles between he and Schenn were very fun to watch.

Old
07-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Giroux
Rookie User

Schenner still needs a lot of work, he is not quite NHL ready IMO.

Couturier should play next year, he has much size that this team has been wanting down in front.

Lauridsen will be a gem for their defense. Drafted late, but has big size and strength.

Old
07-09-2011, 08:54 PM
hockeyfreak7

I'm not sure how people can come to the conclusion that Schenn isnt ready based on rookie camp.

He's already proven his worth against better players than these in the WHL.

This isnt his tryout. His tryout will be in the pre season and the first 9 games of the season.

I dont really care if he's looked lack luster the past 2 days, he's looked just fine the last 2 years against better players than we have playing in camp this week. Same goes for Couturier, they've both proven that they are better than most other players their age. Now they need to prove it against NHL players, not other junior aged kids.

Last edited by hockeyfreak7: 07-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old
07-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Giroux
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

He's already proven his worth against better players than these in the OHL.
OHL and NHL = Giroux vs Gerbe ... Oh wait...

Old
07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux View Post
OHL and NHL = Giroux vs Gerbe ... Oh wait...
WHL, OHL...same thing

Old
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
daynus

Schenn

had a great playoff run in the dub, until he was introduced to the Kootenee Ice. that team was pretty stacked. they were brilliant in their own end, strong forecheck and speed and they capitalized on their chances. they were a far far better team than the blades. toon town payed a heavy heavy price for schenn. just watch in a few years brandon is gonna be a top notch team. schenn does obviously have some areas to work on, but he can get their with 3 months of hard work, and have a season we expected, as a replacement for Richie for us.

Old
07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Coppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
- couturier needs to put on weight. He breezes through the stick handling drills and made some very nice defensive plays, but he wasnt able to use his body as well as he should be able to with his frame. This is to be expected though. If he puts on some pounds, I could definately see him being NHL ready.
Hes 18 years old, playing against mostly 21,22, and 23 year olds.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:30 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Hes 18 years old, playing against mostly 21,22, and 23 year olds.
Wow, really?

No kidding, thus my point that he needs to put on weight. If he can't use his body sufficiently against 21-23 year olds at a rookie camp, he's not going to be able to in the NHL.

Old
07-10-2011, 11:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
That's not why he was drafted.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Closed Thread