HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best Stanley Cup finals that did NOT go seven games?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
heutZe

vCash: 500
Best Stanley Cup finals that did NOT go seven games?

When you look at lists ranking the best Stanley Cup finals over the years, it is usually only the ones that go seven games that are being discussed. However, there are several good cup finals that did not go the full lenght. So in your opinion, what is the best Stanley Cup finals of all time that did not go seven games?

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Of the ones I've seen, Stars-Sabres in 1999. Six very close games capped off with one of the more controversial endings in Stanley Cup history.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Of the ones I've seen, Stars-Sabres in 1999. Six very close games capped off with one of the more controversial endings in Stanley Cup history.
Maybe it's because I'm a Stars fan, but this one and the final vs New Jersey in 2000 were both great.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:32 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Maybe it's because I'm a Stars fan, but this one and the final vs New Jersey in 2000 were both great.
Maybe because I'm a Devils fan, but I thought the 2000 finals were among the best finals I've ever seen. It was my most enjoyed finals of any of the 5 they participated it.

But I guess you have to appreciate goaltending duels to appreciate it.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:34 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
This would be my vote as well. Such a ******** ending to what was otherwise a great series. Mind you it was ******** because that rule was ******** to begin with.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:35 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Maybe because I'm a Devils fan, but I thought the 2000 finals were among the best finals I've ever seen. It was my most enjoyed finals of any of the 5 they participated it.

That game 5 was one of the best games I've ever seen. Proof that you don't need a lot of goals to enjoy hockey.

Game 6 I only watched on tape. My sister's high school grad was that day (I tried to get out of it). I knew the results already so it kind of ruined it a bit, but from what I've seen that game was amazing as well.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:39 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
That game 5 was one of the best games I've ever seen. Proof that you don't need a lot of goals to enjoy hockey.

Game 6 I only watched on tape. My sister's high school grad was that day (I tried to get out of it). I knew the results already so it kind of ruined it a bit, but from what I've seen that game was amazing as well.
Game 5 is probably my favorite SCF game. Game 6 I missed because of a Cure concert.

2000 or 1984, for me.

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

1993 is up there for me .. it may have only gone five games, but with three of them going to overtime (not to mention McSorely's illegal stick costing the Kings what would have been a 2-0 series lead), it couldn't have been much more exciting

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
I listed (as best I could) to game six of this series on the drive back from a family reunion-type thing. We were coming from Centralia back towards Seattle, so getting a Vancouver station over the air was trying to say the least.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:55 AM
heutZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
1993 is up there for me .. it may have only gone five games, but with three of them going to overtime (not to mention McSorely's illegal stick costing the Kings what would have been a 2-0 series lead), it couldn't have been much more exciting
If that series had gone seven games it probably would have been remembered as the best finals of all time. The five games were extremely entertaining.

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Canadiens1958

1951 - Canadiens vs Leafs, all 5 games were decided in OT, game 5 by Bill Barilko's goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_Stanley_Cup_Finals

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:

Were those actual goaltending duels or just high-end defence without many scoring chances, which often gets calleds a "goaltending duel" at the moment? Honest question.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Were those actual goaltending duels or just high-end defence without many scoring chances, which often gets calleds a "goaltending duel" at the moment? Honest question.
Goaltending duel. So many chances back and forth. I specifically remember Mogilny on a breakaway in OT and me changing my shorts.

There were some defensive plays to break up chances as well for sure, but the goalies were amazing.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Goaltending duel. So many chances back and forth. I specifically remember Mogilny on a breakaway in OT and me changing my shorts.

There were some defensive plays to break up chances as well for sure, but the goalies were amazing.
thanks

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:12 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
NJ allowed 20.3 shots / 60 minutes. Dallas allowed 29.

In the four regulation games, the Devils' defence was ironclad: allowing 18, 17, 23, and 17 shots respectively.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:13 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
thanks
Funny story about that 1-0 game 5 triple OT thriller. Before the game, Belfour told the players that all they needed to get him was 1. Sure enough....

No word on if he told them all he needed was 8 before game 1

Old
03-02-2013, 01:32 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

1980 Islanders and Flyers. Had a certain linesman called offside, it may have gone 7.

???? Montreal and Islanders. The final that never happened that could have occurred anywhere between 1975 and 1980. Too bad.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Kyle McMahon

Chicago-Philadelphia was a good one. The goaltending was suspect of course, but it was refreshing to see a final that didn't seem like two tired teams grinding out uneventful wins. I'd actually say this series was more exciting than multiple 7-gamers.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

As far as sweeps go, the 75-76 final between the Flyers and Habs. The Flyers were in every game, and if Parent and Macliesh had played might have pulled off some wins.

In terms of 6 gamers, the flyers/ isles final in 1980 was loads of fun to watch.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
RussCourtnall6
Rookie User

Wings-Canes in 2002

I believe the series only lasted 5 games, but I thought, from an entartainment point of view, that every game was fantastic. Canes gave the Wings a good run. The series was alot close then most people might remember.

RussCourtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
GuineaPig

I really enjoyed Wings/Pens in 2008, but Chicago/Philly would probably be my pick.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

It would have to be, I thought the 2000 finals were like watching paint dry

Quote:
I never thought it was a goaltending duel at all. When we look back we see that it was Brodeur and Belfour in net and assume it had to be a great goaltending duel. It wasn't. This was a series that went in triple overtime in Game 5 and double in Game 6 and was still not very entertaining. It reminds me of the 1998 Olympics when Roy and Hasek went against each other. We tend to forget that for three periods this was a boring game with very little in the way of scoring chances. Canada turned it on in overtime and looked awful in the shootout. Over time that has turned into a classic goaltending duel and it wasn't.

You want a classic goaltending duel? Kelly Hrudey vs. Bob Mason Game 7 1987. Went 4 overtimes, called the "Easter Epic". THAT was a goaltending duel. Lots of high quality shots and several clutch saves that could end the series at any moment.

2000 was two of the most defensive teams in the NHL. Nothing Ken Hitchcock does is exciting and his teams played that way. It isn't to say these weren't good teams, but they didn't create fun hockey to watch.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Big Phil

1975 - Two teams with different styles. We all remember the "Fog" game but it was also the two best teams in the NHL going at it with plenty of stars.

1980 - Lots of storylines here. The Flyers had that 35 game unbeaten streak during the year. The Islanders were a young but green team that choked. Leon Stickle misses an obvious offside call and there needed to be an overtime win for the Isles or it was Game 7 in the Spectrum. Good luck.

2008 - The Pens would have really made a series out of this had they not waited two games out of the gate. Lots of drama here. Lots of stars and they used their talent. Triple overtime in Game 5. Max Talbot silenced the Red Wings faithful with a goal with 30 seconds left to tie it. Also, what is it about these two teams meeting each other in the final where there is a last second ditch effort at the buzzer?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It would have to be, I thought the 2000 finals were like watching paint dry

I never thought it was a goaltending duel at all. When we look back we see that it was Brodeur and Belfour in net and assume it had to be a great goaltending duel. It wasn't. This was a series that went in triple overtime in Game 5 and double in Game 6 and was still not very entertaining. It reminds me of the 1998 Olympics when Roy and Hasek went against each other. We tend to forget that for three periods this was a boring game with very little in the way of scoring chances. Canada turned it on in overtime and looked awful in the shootout. Over time that has turned into a classic goaltending duel and it wasn't.

You want a classic goaltending duel? Kelly Hrudey vs. Bob Mason Game 7 1987. Went 4 overtimes, called the "Easter Epic". THAT was a goaltending duel. Lots of high quality shots and several clutch saves that could end the series at any moment.

2000 was two of the most defensive teams in the NHL. Nothing Ken Hitchcock does is exciting and his teams played that way. It isn't to say these weren't good teams, but they didn't create fun hockey to watch.
Yeah, the 2000 finals is one of the few SCF that I didn't even bother watching the clinching game.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

As a Devils fan, it warms my heart to see both a Maple Leafs fan and a Flyers fan still sore about 2000.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote