HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Atlanta Thrashers

Old
11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
12 years and never won a playoff game. Legacy of total failure.

Don Waddell is the Stu Jackson of the NHL. Bumbling fool of a GM who was given oodles of top-5 picks to work with but was never able to craft a roster that was anything but ... some top-5 draft picks surrounding expansion-level talent.
Easy there Bigboy no one had a worse record than Stu we are taking 5 man Bball which is much easier to build a team in.

Comparing S** J***son with anyone should always be spelled that way IMO as his tenure in Vancouver was a complete joke.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

This logo rocks hockey history eternal:

Just crank up the volume and listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVezhhCl34

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Actually after 2 months of play Thrashers seem to be forgotten. No whinning anymore, noone cares...
Some of is still care, but its over and done with. If anybody were to ask me "what happened to the Thrashers?" I'd be happy to go in depth about the team and its struggles, but Atlanta's only significance to hockey history is that a team that is unwanted by its owners cannot succeed.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
Some of is still care, but its over and done with. If anybody were to ask me "what happened to the Thrashers?" I'd be happy to go in depth about the team and its struggles, but Atlanta's only significance to hockey history is that a team that is unwanted by its owners cannot succeed.
It's sad, but there's nothing to complain about. It happened; it's done.

I felt like we didn't have the experience in the mangerial office to build a good time. From my perspective, the thought process of the higher ups was just, "hey lets get guys who can score lots of goals." Once they realized they had NO defense, they drafted Bogosian and Enstrom, but it was too late. Hell, Garnet Exelby cracked the top 4 D IIRC.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Never accepted the logo or the jerseys, just never fit the NHL. The fit with the Colorado Rockies and California Golden Seals.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarxplyr View Post
It's sad, but there's nothing to complain about. It happened; it's done.

I felt like we didn't have the experience in the mangerial office to build a good time. From my perspective, the thought process of the higher ups was just, "hey lets get guys who can score lots of goals." Once they realized they had NO defense, they drafted Bogosian and Enstrom, but it was too late. Hell, Garnet Exelby cracked the top 4 D IIRC.
What's worse is that Garnet Exelby is in the conversation for best skater developed by the Thrashers. When guys like Chris Tamer, Andy Sutton, and Nic Havelid are drawing top pairing minutes, you know you are in trouble. The year they made the playoffs Andy Sutton and Greg de Vries were their top pairing. The Thrashers were just a painful team to watch in their own zone. The penalty kill, though, was more awesome than a Roger Corman flick.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

As long as some of us are around, no one will ever forget.

And if I had the cash to do so, I'd be putting a team there in the next expansion cycle. It'll work; the issues involving Atlanta were entirely ownership-related.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Schalkenullvier*

2 things I will remember about the thrashers:

a) Kovalchuk, b) their awesome logo

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Stephen

Quote:
How this team will be remembered?
It won't be remembered. Think Kansas City Scouts.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:47 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
In a weird way, it's kind of neat to be able to say "I went to a Thrashers home game". That will have some old-timer value for me someday.
Huh, I didn't even think of that until now, but the one game I went to last year was a Thrashers game.

That'll slide in nicely beside the Whalers and Nordiques games I attended as a kid at the Gardens.

From the Thrashers, I will remember their terrible jerseys. The one-armed power blues, and the red and white football pinneys.

Last edited by arrbez: 11-30-2011 at 04:52 AM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It won't be remembered. Think Kansas City Scouts.
The Scouts were an aberration that could not exist in the modern era in so many ways.

I think they'll be remembered as a team that was brought out to slaughter with no real opportunity to save it.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:37 AM
TheIceShotMe
Rookie User

The Atlanta Thrashers? Why would I remember a team that hid in the shadows when they were still a team? They barely did anything great enough for us Hockey fans to remember.

TheIceShotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:57 AM
SealsFan

Of their eleven seasons, the first three were losing seasons worthy of comparison to the Seals, Scouts, Rockies. From then on they hovered around the .500 mark with only two winning seasons but by all measures they were merely a mediocre team.

It's easier to be a mediocre team in a 30-team league.

They only made the playoffs once. The Seals made the playoffs twice, albeit with losing records in the weak Western conference.

The Seals are more likely to be remembered for all those losing seasons, for the colored skates (there were other variations than just white), for the colorful uniforms, for Charles O. Finley's involvement, for cheerleader Crazy George, for Gilles Meloche, for low attendance.... being bad is more memorable than being merely mediocre.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:06 AM
ehMase

Never going to forget them giving up Coburn for Zhitnik. And then that large overpayment for Tkachuk. And then getting swept in the 1st round and never coming close to sniffing the playoffs again. Good stuff.

ehMase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Depressing thread is depressing.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMase View Post
Never going to forget them giving up Coburn for Zhitnik. And then that large overpayment for Tkachuk. And then getting swept in the 1st round and never coming close to sniffing the playoffs again. Good stuff.
I have said this 1001 times on this board, but the trade for Zhitnik is what got us to the playoffs, and the Trade for Tkachuk actually wasn't all that bad.

Coburn was mopey and refused to put in the effort in Chicago to earn a spot on the roster. He just expected Bob Hartley, a coach who simply doesn't play rookies for crap, to give him a spot. That made him an expendable asset, while being our best prospect. Zhitnik came in and scored 14 points in 18 games down the stretch to help pull the team out of its traditional late season tailspin. That being said, I distinctly remember watching the announcement and saying to myself, "Zhitnik, really? Surely Coburn could have snagged more."

As for Tkachuk, he came in and put up 15 in 18 down the stretch, gave the Thrashers a semblance of a #1C (he played center that year, for some reason), and was as much responsible for pulling the team into the playoffs as Zhitnik was. Tkachuk was traded for Glen Metropolit, who is back to playing in Europe, a 2007 1st, which St. Louis traded to Calgary who chose Mikael Backlund, who, while promising, isn't expected to be anything special, a 3rd in 07 Brett Sonne, a 2nd in 08, Phillip McRae, and a conditional 1st in 08, Bogosian, which was traded back to ATL when Tkachuk re-signed with St. Louis. Obviously it is still too early to fully judge the prospects involved in the deal, but, IMO, Bogosian is easily the best part of that deal, and he still ended up with Atlanta. People remember this trade as some massive house clearing for a mediocre player, and it simply was not that. The Thrashers lost what amounts to meh, in exchange for their one and only playoff berth.

And, as someone who got to be at the only two home playoff games in Thrashers history, I'd make these trades absolutely every time I'm offered it.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BautistaBOMB View Post
Is Waddell a bad GM or the scapegoat of bad circumstances?
No need to bring up Patrick Stefan as that can happen to ANY team. The fact is the Atlanta Thrashers were on the rise before the Healtey/Snyder incident took place. Waddell did the right thing by turning that asset into Marian Hossa (a great player) but Hossa's alligiance to the Thrashers wasn't as strong as Waddell rightfully anticipated, so once again he did the right thing by being active at the deadline and getting what was probably the best offer they could for Hossa at the time. Many people in the media thought Pittsburgh overpaid for what was seen and turned out to be a rental player. What did the Panthers do with Jaybo? Nothing. Then you have the contract situatuion with Kovalchuk. How much money were they suppose to throw at him? Waddell's job was to build a team on a limited budget...I'm sure he would've loved to keep Kovalchuk around for 12 more years or whatever it was but once again he could see the feeling wasn't mutual, so he turned that player into future assets which could pay dividends for Winnipeg in the future. Then you have this problem with the minor league Chicago Wolves, an organization that prides itself on winning first and developing young talent second. Is it any wonder things turned out the way they did? A lot of people like the current direction of this Thrashers team, the question is will they put their egos aside and give Waddell the credit he deserves if this core group of players he oversaw manages to turn things around in Winnipeg? Only time will tell.
Kovalchuk wanted assurance the team wasn't going anywhere and the front office couldn't give that to him so he wanted out.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Stephen

Huge disappointment and maybe a historical "what could have been?"

They were owned by media mogul Ted Turner, had a state of the art arena in Atlanta, a pretty important hub in the South East, and entered the league with Stefan, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Lehtonen and Coburn as their first five first rounders.

For a brief moment, it looked like they had a franchise goalie, a stud defenseman, 2 franchise wingers and at least a very good centerman.

Then it all unraveled...

An experiment like Phoenix probably should be aborted, but Atlanta looked so good to start with and there wasn't much of an effort to save them.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

What will I remember about Atlanta?

1. Patrick Stefan. Which makes me think of that horrid play he had with Dallas against Edmonton.

2. Kovalchuk and Heatley.

3. One of the worst trades in Flames history. Trading Savard for a nobody.

4. Dan Snyder

5. Mediocre play at best for 10+ seasons.

6. The "Knight" tradition.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:26 AM
JetsHomer

They had pretty cool jerseys.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:22 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
for cheerleader Crazy George,
OT, but I remember seeing a "Crazy George" doing the rounds of minor league hockey in the '90s. He was actually quite a lot of fun in the relatively small arenas, where he could be seen and heard clearly by everyone in attendance. Is this the same guy? Did he really get his start with the Seals?

Back on-topic, I went to a couple of games in Atlanta. My lasting memories:

- The coolness, but weirdness of the arena. One minute you're in a mall food court watching massive CNN screens, next minute you're in the concourse of an NHL arena. They had that massive wall of suites, and the bird head that shot fire out of its mouth after goals. It was an odd place to see a game, kind of monolithic and corporate but not as faceless as some of the slightly older arenas. It reminded me just a little of Nashville's arena, but felt a lot bigger on the inside.

- I showed up early to one of the games so I could go down to the player's tunnel for warm-ups. You could very easily bend over and see the area outside the locker room door -- players getting pumped up, trainers working on sticks, guys standing around in suits. It was neat to just walk up and get that close.

- The people in the arena were from all over the place. I met a guy from Quebec who just happened to be in town that night. The crowd was noticeably more racially diverse than in other NHL arenas, typical of Atlanta. It seemed like a young crowd to me, too, maybe because it was right downtown.

- If we're being honest, the crowd was tiny and you could pretty much sit where you wanted. That has its perks when you're just trying to enjoy the game as a visitor. There were a ton of fans for the visiting teams both times, and I felt for the home fans having to deal with that.

- The huge concourse murals from the All Star Game were neat.

I've said it many times on here, but it's a tragedy the way that organization was scuttled. There was nothing inherently wrong with having a team in Atlanta and they ought to have been very successful.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
blamebettman*

It won't be. Frankly it was a very poorly thought out expansion destination

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:35 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
OT, but I remember seeing a "Crazy George" doing the rounds of minor league hockey in the '90s. He was actually quite a lot of fun in the relatively small arenas, where he could be seen and heard clearly by everyone in attendance. Is this the same guy? Did he really get his start with the Seals?
Did he look like this?

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Crease

Does Kovalchuk go into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame or get his number retired up there? He's technically the best player in the current installment of that franchise's history, unless they're completely ignoring their Atlanta roots.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
How this team will be remembered?
Who?

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote