HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daugavins

Old
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Maciver63

vCash: 500
Daugavins

I have always been intrigued by this player. Just when you think he has fallen off the radar, he comes back with a vengeance. The Sens brass need to make a decision on this guy as he coming up to the end of his contract, which will make him an RFA. He has just turned 23. Is lighting it up in the playoffs. Has good size. Looks to be a great team mate judging by the video of him in the room after the Charlotte Series win.

One thing that I did find curious is that he was never brought up to Ottawa this year. He (and maybe Keller) seemed to be the only other deserving forward candidates that did not get at least one game. Some will probably say he was needed more down in Bingo to secure a playoff spot.

Anyways, I wanted to see what others on this board thought about his future. I think he has earned another contract and will be a regular call-up next year, probably getting about 15 to 25 games.

Maciver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
BigEyedPhish

I think he should be re-signed by us, but he could also be used as decent trade bait.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:56 PM
sens83

I've been down on K-Daugs in the past. However, the second half of the season and his performance in the playoffs have changed my opinion on him.

At seasons' beginning I thought he was lazy and wasn't really back checking. Then something clicked and the guy became a beast on the PK, excellent shot blocker. His skill seemed to explode, decent puck control. He even tried that trick shot during the season again. He drives hard, plays well in the corners and seems to always come out and score a dirty goal or just deke the hell out of someone. Take a look at the goal he scored in the playoffs against Charlotte last series. Absolutely sick.

I think he deserves a fair shake at making the big club. I hope he signs and stays a little while in Bingo, with as you say "first call-up rights." I just hope he doesn't fly the coop for more money in Europe.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Maciver63

Yeah, at some point soon, maybe this off season, the KHL is going to come calling to him. I would hate to lose him.

Maciver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:29 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

IIRC Fuhr was pretty high on him, and made some compelling arguments.

Definitely was an underrated prospect amongst Ottawa fans, but I think this Calder Cup run is changing that.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
The Fuhr*

I liked Daugavins a ton when I watched him in the OHL... there was times he would cycle the puck in the offensive zone all by himself because he was playing with nobodies. Happy to see him come around since I was always so high on him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciver63 View Post
Yeah, at some point soon, maybe this off season, the KHL is going to come calling to him. I would hate to lose him.
Dinamo Riga (KHL team in Latvia) owns his KHL rights... something to keep an eye on

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
PKC*

I don't see any reason why he can't fit in on the third or fourth line in Ottawa next year. Tenacious, plays hard every shift and seems to have really turned on his motor over the last little while. Exactly the kind of high energy guy who can chip in offensively that you need on your bottom two lines. Put him with Smith and Neil on a line and watch them run over people.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I've been down on K-Daugs in the past. However, the second half of the season and his performance in the playoffs have changed my opinion on him.

At seasons' beginning I thought he was lazy and wasn't really back checking. Then something clicked and the guy became a beast on the PK, excellent shot blocker. His skill seemed to explode, decent puck control. He even tried that trick shot during the season again. He drives hard, plays well in the corners and seems to always come out and score a dirty goal or just deke the hell out of someone. Take a look at the goal he scored in the playoffs against Charlotte last series. Absolutely sick.

I think he deserves a fair shake at making the big club. I hope he signs and stays a little while in Bingo, with as you say "first call-up rights." I just hope he doesn't fly the coop for more money in Europe.
KK is getting his attention.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I liked Daugavins a ton when I watched him in the OHL... there was times he would cycle the puck in the offensive zone all by himself because he was playing with nobodies. Happy to see him come around since I was always so high on him
Like you I liked him a lot in junior, but he just didn't seem to adjust to the pro game.

Now watching him in the playoffs, he looks really good again. He is defensively responsible and can put the puck in the net, and is playing a big role on the PK. I think KK has possibly saved his career in NA.

I hope Murray signs him, and he gets a good look in training camp.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
sens83

It's surprising what a good coach can do with some prospects over the course of a season isn't it...

KK has this entire team playing well.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Likely not an NHLer, so for me, I see him as a perfect prospect to trade... to either sweeten a deal or move up in the draft. His stock has never been higher, and if he's not going to be playing for the big club, a trade makes more room in Bingo for the new guys and is a good example of selling high.

I'd rather the sens keep a player like Potulny over K-dawg.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Yashin

Kaspars is a pretty sweet first name. I say we keep him, if only for that

Yashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Interesting to see what will happen to him in the off-season..
I want him to stay though.

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
TheSpaceCoyote
Sens fan in NL

If only his skill was as awesome as his name, he'd already be in Ottawa. Hopefully Murray will resign him and give him a chance to earn a bottom 6 spot in training camp.

TheSpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Like you I liked him a lot in junior, but he just didn't seem to adjust to the pro game.

Now watching him in the playoffs, he looks really good again. He is defensively responsible and can put the puck in the net, and is playing a big role on the PK. I think KK has possibly saved his career in NA.

I hope Murray signs him, and he gets a good look in training camp.
It's not that he couldn't adjust to the pro game, it's that he wasn't given the chance. The guy was an All-Star in the OHL and then came to Bingo and was put on the fourth line playing 4 minutes a night with the likes of Yablonski. That's not the way to get offensively skilled players to adjust to the pro game. Even with KK at the beginning of this season, he started on the top lines, and had three points in the first two games. He was then put on the fourth line and started to tank again. All the call-ups meant he had to readjust his game. He's not the shoot-when-you-can, ugly goal kind of guy, he's a play maker, so adjusting to the B-Sens mid season style took some time. Now with the other more skilled guys back, he can play like he's used to, and it's paying off nicely.

He was unlucky with his recurring shoulder injury, which crept up three years in a row during training camp, but it's ridiculous that it took the Senators four years to give him as much as a single NHL exhibition game, especially considering he was outplaying Foligno in rookie camp the year Nick ended up sticking with the big club. Some of that had to do with a falling out with CC from the get go (apparently he slept in for a practice), but he was never in Murray's plans to begin with, which meant a lot of other guys skipped ahead of him on the depth chart without warrant.

And just a little phonetics lesson since most fans don't know this, his name is actually pronounced Cuspars (like customs) Daugavinsh.

Last edited by v-man: 05-31-2011 at 03:48 PM.
v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
KK is getting his attention.
This. KK is a beast coach.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Rumcajs

Pending a Calder cup win i think he would want to play for the big club, if not i could see him sign with the KHL team in Riga.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

If KK is our coach next year, I would almost guarantee one of K-daug or O'Brien making this team.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
If KK is our coach next year, I would almost guarantee one of K-daug or O'Brien making this team.
JOB has a higher ceiling in my opinion.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
JOB has a higher ceiling in my opinion.
agreed, if were lucky he could become a poor mans Kesler...

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:18 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Pending a Calder cup win i think he would want to play for the big club, if not i could see him sign with the KHL team in Riga.
He stated in some Latvian interviews that while he has a chance to sign in North America and get to the NHL he'll do so, even if it means spending a few more years in the AHL. He can always fall back on the KHL if that fails. He was ready to jump to the KHL when he wasn't getting respectable minutes, but that's all changed now. With his strong second half and playoffs, I don't think there's a chance he won't get picked up by someone on a two-way here, be it with Ottawa, or someone else.

Last edited by v-man: 05-31-2011 at 07:23 PM.
v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:22 PM
TheBandWagon

Like him, hate him, bash him, whatever, but Fuhr called it on this guy. He's been so sick these playoffs/second half. He deserves a shot in the bigs, even if he's first call up next year then permanent roster player the year after. Hopefully he carries this momentum into the offseason and comes back even stronger

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:

Funny how well a coach can get out of his player's huh??

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Will never make it. Just doesn't have the drive to succeed at the NHL level. Overrated by Fuhrs peddling based on decent point totals while playing huge minutes in all situations for a crappy team in St Mikes. Big deal. Dozens of players do the exact same thing every year in Jr.

For irrefutable evidence of scouting errors around here refer to the toughness that he was tagged with after ONE exciting fight with fellow Latvian Arturs Kulda.

Playoff drives open the door for players to step up, and kudos to him for doing so, but by no means do they all of a sudden define a player. i.e. Kevin Bieksa is still only a borderline top four, error and injury prone defenseman with an above average shot.

That and our depth chart leaves his chances of making the sens about as likely as Latvia avoiding the relegation pool in any IIHF event.

Last edited by Bobby Blowhard: 06-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:25 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandWagon View Post
Like him, hate him, bash him, whatever, but Fuhr called it on this guy. He's been so sick these playoffs/second half. He deserves a shot in the bigs, even if he's first call up next year then permanent roster player the year after. Hopefully he carries this momentum into the offseason and comes back even stronger
I called it on Tedenby, where's my award

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote