Notices

2011-2012 Anaheim Ducks Prospects Update

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
2011-2012 Anaheim Ducks Prospects Update

Hello Ducks fans, can anyone tell me if Smith-Pelly have some chances to crack the line up next season? Syracuse? Ducks? Did he already signed his first pro contract with the Ducks? I followed him with Mississauga i think he looks great and bring gritness and finish well his hits. What's your thought about this guy?

Old
05-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Komarov47

Devante Smith-Pelly

Hello Ducks fans, can anyone tell me if Smith-Pelly have some chances to crack the line up next season? Syracuse? Ducks? Did he already signed his first pro contract with the Ducks? I followed him with Mississauga i think he looks great and bring gritness and finish well his hits. What's your thought about this guy?

Old
05-01-2011, 02:59 AM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Im 80% sure he isn't ahl eligible next season... But with what ive hear of him and my opinion of seeing him at the prospects camp last year, I honestly believe he could sneak into the 4th line LW spot. I've said this before but I can see a season from him like Kyle Clifford had. He's exactly the type of player this team is lacking.

I believe if he proves his current skill level at camp he's on the roster. I think I'm almost expecting at least a 9 game tryout from him.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:12 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

He'll be in the team for the first 9 games IMO, after that, depends on his performance

Old
05-01-2011, 04:53 AM
James Franco

He's too determined not to make the team. Ever since his OHL coach didn't choose him for the WJC team, he has had a vendetta to make the NHL. From what I heard at least.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Unholy

Excited to see him at camp again, he can probably sneak in the lineup but nothing is certain.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Finnpin

Well there is lot of positions open in the bottom 6 and I really hope DSP have developed enough in a year to make the team already next season. We need him.

Old
05-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdavis225 View Post
He's too determined not to make the team. Ever since his OHL coach didn't choose him for the WJC team, he has had a vendetta to make the NHL. From what I heard at least.
Didn't he more or less say that the first chance he gets to turn pro he is doing it after that whole incident?

Old
05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
I'd love for him to make the team. I think he'll be a big part in a few years.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

If he has a good camp he will get the 9 game look at least.

Etem is in the same situation. Neither can play in the AHL next season.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:40 PM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Didn't he more or less say that the first chance he gets to turn pro he is doing it after that whole incident?
His coach said there is always next year, and apparently he said he wouldn't be there next year

Old
05-02-2011, 10:10 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Saw all of DSP's games for us. I simply love his game. One one side he plays better defense and forecheck than some of the guys in our current lineup. Not just that but he's got really good speed and offensive talent. He's kind of like a sniping Sami Pahlsson (just from the little I did actually see). A line of Beleskey-McMillan-DSP could become the next big shutdown line that could provide depth offense (I included Beleskey because he is a pretty physical player, and McMillan is clearly VERY responsible defensively). I could be wrong though. I just think the kid will be useful so many different ways.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Hussar
Donkeytoof

He got a fair amount of buzz in the training camp scrims where he was aggressive (cant remember who he smoked) and dangerous. He also has a decent set of hands. I dont see anybody being able to stop him from cracking the bottom six or he may end up needing just a little more seasoning, we'll see.

Old
05-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I talked to some current pros who work out with him during the offseason (Wayne Simmonds, Trevor Daley and Chris Stewart) and they were all blown away by his work ethic. Simmer said the guy is going to be hard to play against, super competitive and able to bring his game up a level in important situations.

I'll probably do an HF profile on him whenever the season ends for Mississauga. It's hard to say what Anaheim will do but even with some guys like McMillan kind of coming on for them it seems like there will be a bottom-six spot or two open next year. Smith-Pelly could get it, he's the kind of player their team needs and he had a real solid rookie camp last year.

05-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Etem had some huge games and some scoreless ones to offset them, overall solid numbers. They got smoked in the Conference Finals though, they're out now.

Smith-Pelly and Mississauga are in the OHL Finals, he's hovered around a point per game and been solid for them. They have a fierce team and will host the tournament this year win or lose.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 05-13-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old
05-03-2011, 12:16 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

He's a guy who has a decent chance of playing next season. He's close, and he knows how he's going to make it as a pro. Simple game, hit, be responsible.

However it's possible that another year of juniors might help him become more. He's underdeveloped offensively relative to his defensive game. Yet juniors is one of the best places for kids to develop offensive skills (college is typically thought of as better for physical attributes, juniors for offensive skills). So while he might contribute to the team next year, he might be better off in the long term going back to the OHL.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
PhoenyX

From what I've seen and read of him I am really excited to see him in our lineup. With all the problems in our bottom 6 over the past few seasons I think McMillan and DSP will be a great starting point for the future.

Old
05-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
From what I've seen and read of him I am really excited to see him in our lineup. With all the problems in our bottom 6 over the past few seasons I think McMillan and DSP will be a great starting point for the future.
Certainly sounds nice. Will have to see how that looks at camp.

Now when you all talk about McMillan and his future, are you seeing him on the wing or at center?

Old
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Certainly sounds nice. Will have to see how that looks at camp.

Now when you all talk about McMillan and his future, are you seeing him on the wing or at center?
ideally for next season i'd like to see him on the wing if we do sign a good 3rd line C.. maybe 2-3 seasons down the road, he's probably gonna be anchoring our 3rd line C.. but the great thing about him is he can literally play every position except goalie

Old
05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
ideally for next season i'd like to see him on the wing if we do sign a good 3rd line C.. maybe 2-3 seasons down the road, he's probably gonna be anchoring our 3rd line C.. but the great thing about him is he can literally play every position except goalie
Yeah this seems to be what everyone thinks and I think it is the right way to go. Bring someone in to mentor him a bit and to keep Mac developing. 07 Pahlsson would be great for that. I would be fine with Goc too.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:42 PM
teemuselanne

I'm watching DSP play right now in the OHL finals and I've got to say I really like his game. I see him being a really solid 3rd liner; responsible defensively, good at cycling/protecting the puck and always hard on the play and finishing his checks. Just a couple things, has anyone been watching Justin Schultz at all this year? I've heard a lot of good things about him but never seen him play and I'm just wondering what your guys thoughts are on him. Also haven't seen Holland or Etem play too much this year, do you think they could be potential top 6's when the geezer line retires or would they be more suitable for bottom 6 roles?

Old
05-10-2011, 01:06 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuselanne View Post
I'm watching DSP play right now in the OHL finals and I've got to say I really like his game. I see him being a really solid 3rd liner; responsible defensively, good at cycling/protecting the puck and always hard on the play and finishing his checks. Just a couple things, has anyone been watching Justin Schultz at all this year? I've heard a lot of good things about him but never seen him play and I'm just wondering what your guys thoughts are on him. Also haven't seen Holland or Etem play too much this year, do you think they could be potential top 6's when the geezer line retires or would they be more suitable for bottom 6 roles?
havent's een them play but their skill set and from reading articles of other pleople that have watched all indicate that their potential is top 6 for sure.. besides their style of play doesnt really suit our bottom 6 although i suppose our style could change by the time they are ready

Old
05-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
Any chance of Vatanen coming to AHL/NHL next season?

Old
05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Any chance of Vatanen coming to AHL/NHL next season?
Yeah there's a good chance for AHL. I don't see him on the Ducks though.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuselanne View Post
I remember watching DSP at camp and being reminded a lot of Pahlsson. Only better offensive drive and overall intensity.

And hearing about his play in the OHL playoffs...I'm so excited. He was a second round steal for sure.

Closed Thread