HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread Part VIII

Continue from previous thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=904336

05-10-2011, 11:05 AM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Absolute yes on Oleksiak if he's there at 21, which I doubt. You don't just say no to behemoth defencemen like him because it's not an organizational need.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Batali Crocs*

vCash: 500
8 threads of repeating the same things over and over again.

I want Sens hockey now, damnit.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
8 threads of repeating the same things over and over again.

I want Sens hockey now, damnit.
The playoffs have kept me satisfied for awhile but I'm starting to crave some Sens hockey.

At least we got the young guns in Bingo still competing for another round.

Going to be a long 4 months.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

4 months? Don't they have the development camp and the rookie tournament this summer? Pre-season too. Dunno the exact timeline but I'm sure we can keep ourselves occupied with Sens hockey

Old
05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
4 months? Don't they have the development camp and the rookie tournament this summer? Pre-season too. Dunno the exact timeline but I'm sure we can keep ourselves occupied with Sens hockey
Rookie camp is usually right before main camp opens. Development camp is usually sometime in July I think.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:44 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
Rookie camp is usually right before main camp opens. Development camp is usually sometime in July I think.
Pancakes any relation to Waffles?

Darft June 24, Free Agency UFA July 1 & Development Camp is always around July 1 & Rookie camp is in the fall around Sept 10.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
bdp

Even though we have three times as many picks, this draft doesn't feel as exciting as the past few years.

The discussions in previous years were a lot more fun than this year.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

Trading down

Imagine two things:

1) that in the top 5, the top four forwards (RNH, Lando, Couturier, and Huberdeau) are selected.

2) that our scouting staff does not think that Strome projects to be any, or only negligibly, better than Z-bad, Bartschi, Armia, and maybe even McNeill and/or Scheifele (or one or two others).

I keep hearing from professional scouts that there is a noticeable drop-off in this year's draft after about 12-15 picks. I think we can both trade down the 6th pick, and trade up from the 21st pick to have two picks in that upper tier. This would be especially possible if a team was drooling Hamilton, Murphy, or whoever at #6. It might even take, additionally, a mid to lower round pick to make this happen, but whatever - I think it could be done in terms of value (and, of course, assuming the right fit with the other teams, etc., etc. I know these kinds of trades aren't always possible.)

The result would be, e.g., having the 9th and 14th picks, or 10th and 13th.

As I've said before, I think there is some parity in the second tier forwards in this draft (i.e. the above mentioned group). That being the case, I'd love to walk away with:

Z-bad and Baertschi
Z-bad and Armia
or
Baertschi and Schiefele/McNeill,
etc.,

over, e.g., a Strome and Jenner/Biggs/Miller kind of scenario.

Any supporters for this?

Last edited by Wiercioch2Karlsson: 05-10-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Even though we have three times as many picks, this draft doesn't feel as exciting as the past few years.

You think so? I just think this draft is missing that "epic" player, but I'm hoping that it might be due to a whole bunch of great players overshadowing each other.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:

Great year to start a rebuild eh

Old
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiercioch2Karlsson View Post
Imagine two things:

1) that in the top 5, the top four forwards (RNH, Lando, Couturier, and Huberdeau) are selected.

2) that our scouting staff does not think that Strome projects to be any, or only negligibly, better than Z-bad, Bartschi, Armia, and maybe even McNeill and/or Scheifele (or one or two others).

I keep hearing from professional scouts that there is a noticeable drop-off in this year's draft after about 12-15 picks. I think we can both trade down the 6th pick, and trade up from the 21st pick to have two picks in that upper tier. This would be especially possible if a team was drooling Hamilton, Murphy, or whoever at #6. It might even take, additionally, a mid to lower round pick to make this happen, but whatever - I think it could be done in terms of value (and, of course, assuming the right fit with the other teams, etc., etc. I know these kinds of trades aren't always possible.)

The result would be, e.g., having the 9th and 14th picks, or 10th and 13th.

As I've said before, I think there is some parity in the second tier forwards in this draft (i.e. the above mentioned group). That being the case, I'd love to walk away with:

Z-bad and Baertschi
Z-bad and Armia
or
Baertschi and Schiefele/McNeill,
etc.,

over, e.g., a Strome and Jenner/Biggs/Miller kind of scenario.

Any supporters for this?

Yup, been on that bandwagon for awhile. If Huberdeau is not there at 6 (I'm not even going to bother listing RNH and Couturier here, they'll be gone for sure), I trade down.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:05 PM
trentmccleary

Certain pick positions: 6, 21, 35, 48, __, 66, 95, 125, 155, 170, 185, 203

Pending Playoff outcomes:
Nashville 1st: currently 21st - locked & loaded
Chicago 2nd: currently 48th - locked & loaded
Boston 2nd: currently 59th (range = 58th-61st)
Phoenix 6th: currently 170th locked & loaded
Pittsburgh 6th or 7th: 203rd locked & loaded

Old
05-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Smeddy
For You

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Certain pick positions: 6, 21, 35, 48, __, 66, 95, 125, 155, 170, 185, 203

Pending Playoff outcomes:
Nashville 1st: currently 21st - locked & loaded
Chicago 2nd: currently 48th - locked & loaded
Boston 2nd: currently 59th (range = 58th-61st)
Phoenix 6th: currently 170th locked & loaded
Pittsburgh 6th or 7th: 203rd locked & loaded
Thanks man.

Remember when our pick was 2-4 and nashvilles could have fallen to 9-12 ....those were the days.

Nevertheless I'm pumped for the draft

Old
05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Remember when our pick was 2-4 and nashvilles could have fallen to 9-12 ....those were the days.
And how.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

I'll be happy with Strome at 6th. It's weird that people are suddenly separating him from the other top 5 forwards now, especially to the point where they're saying they don't want him. It's weirder still that this is said without any kind of basis (having not watched them and all.)

Anyway, whoever we draft it'll be exciting this year to pine over the plethora of prospects we'll have in our system.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
I'll be happy with Strome at 6th. It's weird that people are suddenly separating him from the other top 5 forwards now, especially to the point where they're saying they don't want him. It's weirder still that this is said without any kind of basis (having not watched them and all.)

Anyway, whoever we draft it'll be exciting this year to pine over the plethora of prospects we'll have in our system.
Really? News to me.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
Really? News to me.
You should probably tell people they can't rank prospects because they aren't professionals and then tell them which ones are better. You're good at that. Not so good with the sarcasm.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Quote:
Really? News to me.
Seriously, do you spend all day stalking CPM's posts? C'mon, man, it's starting to get sad. I don't agree with everything he says, but Strome at 6 isn't a reach at all, and I doubt CPM's the only one who'd be pleased with him.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:

Probably because there are 2 guys we are most likely to get with our first pick. Either Strome or Huberdeau. Not as much discussion as last year when there were several guys all near our position. The debate basically boils down to Couturier, Strome, and Huberdeau, but I dont think Couturier has a very good chance at falling that far.

I think it would actually be more interesting if all we had was the 21st pick. Puempel, Jensen, Rattie, Scheifele, Jaskin, Brodin, Namestnikov, Khokhlachev, Musil, and maybe even Oleksiak are all realistic selections at the 21 position.

I'd rank that group:

1) Oleksiak
2) Brodin
3) Scheifele
4) Jensen
5) Puempel
6) Rattie
7) Jaskin
8) Khokhlachev
9) Namestnikov
10) Musil

And I'd say at least 6 of those guys are guaranteed to be there at our spot, as well as possibly Saad or Biggs, both of whom would be at worst 5th or 6th on the above list. Now I have limited viewings of all these guys and a lot of the ranking is done based on what I've read and little clips I've seen on league websites and whatnot, but the main idea was more to just show just how many options there will be at 21.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

Quote:
CPM, we all know what you think...

Anyway, in my post, I asked people to "imagine" that our scouting staff saw there being little difference in the top 5-10 forwards, a not implausible situation. Our scouting staff may, of course, see it very differently at this point.

What I didn't say or mean is that I "don't want him". My post just means that I would be happier with someone roughly equivalent (say, Z-bad or Baertschi) plus a much better second pick in the first round... say an Armia, McNeill or Scheifele, or one of the very good defencemen in that range - Beaulieu (possibly gone), Siemens, Oleksiak, Brodin, etc.

Or even to have an extra 2nd rounder for trading down for the next Silfverberg/Lehner calibre pick.

Make sense?

Old
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
Really? News to me.
Honestly? Shut up.

I would be fine with Strome at 6.

I swear you've made every post dissing CPhoenixM.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Honestly? Shut up.

I would be fine with Strome at 6.

I swear you've made every post dissing CPhoenixM.
Bingo!

I don't really care if we pick Strome at 6 lol. We don't need CPM to tell us he'd be happy with Strome at 6, we already know that

Old
05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Probably because there are 2 guys we are most likely to get with our first pick. Either Strome or Huberdeau. Not as much discussion as last year when there were several guys all near our position. The debate basically boils down to Couturier, Strome, and Huberdeau, but I dont think Couturier has a very good chance at falling that far.
Realistic scenario:
1) Edm - RNH or Larsson (Edm beating drum on RNH a bit more)
2) Col - Larsson or RNH (AL is BPA & Col defense still weak even with EJ)
3) Fla - Landeskog or Couturier (Tallon looks for his new Toews)
4) NJ - Murphy (Murphy is the player they need in this tier)
5) NYI - Hamilton (also very weak on defense after picking 5 x 1st Rd. forwards in recent drafts, Streit = 34 in Dec.)
6) Ott - possible 3 player choice of Landeskog or Couturier, Huberdeau and Strome.

Quote:

Anyway, in my post, I asked people to "imagine" that our scouting staff saw there being little difference in the top 5-10 forwards, a not implausible situation. Our scouting staff may, of course, see it very differently at this point.

What I didn't say or mean is that I "don't want him". My post just means that I would be happier with someone roughly equivalent (say, Z-bad or Baertschi) plus a much better second pick in the first round... say an Armia, McNeill or Scheifele, or one of the very good defencemen in that range - Beaulieu (possibly gone), Siemens, Oleksiak, Brodin, etc.

Or even to have an extra 2nd rounder for trading down for the next Silfverberg/Lehner calibre pick.

Make sense?
I'd do it for 2 picks in the Top-15, but not yet another 2nd rounder... we have lots.

I'm still not seeing Strome lumped in with 2nd tier, he's still a 1st tier prospect.

... Hmm, I'm starting to wonder how crazy people would go if we had a choice of 2 or 3 1st tier forwards and chose Strome.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:

Make sense?
I never said that you said that, but I would think that we want the top talent available as opposed to getting two lesser talents that might give us a better shot at a talent that could be better than the 3rd or 4th tier of players (although, from what I understand from 10 - 60 it's supposed to be something of a wash.)

I was referring to other posters about the Strome thing.

Personally I just want the best player available. I don't want to trade down unless our drafting staff thinks that they're going to get the best player, not because they think they can stockpile on lesser talents. We already have 6 picks in the top 65 which is pretty phenomenal in terms of quantity (especially in a draft where the talent level seems to hold pretty well throughout the first two rounds after the elite prospects.)

Quote:
... Hmm, I'm starting to wonder how crazy people would go if we had a choice of 2 or 3 1st tier forwards and chose Strome.
I'd laugh. A lot.

Closed Thread